R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

With the way transit is, The (B) will get techs, The re-routes on 8th ave is the main factor of the (B) and (D) getting techs. Yes they can still use older non cbtc equipment in CBTC areas but they don't want the road to get screwed up. So it makes sense just to give the (B) and (D) techs and get it over with plus 6th ave is going to have CBTC as well so it's killing 2 birds with one stone.

The way transit is, the B gets suspended the moment something goes wrong. The reroute they’re more worried with the D about is Culver, not 8th Avenue.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The way transit is, the B gets suspended the moment something goes wrong. The reroute they’re more worried with the D about is Culver, not 8th Avenue.

It depends on the issues. Yes, there has been instances where the B has been suspended partially or totally, but there has been other instances where the B has been rerouted via 8th Avenue.

Lets not forget that 6th Avenue is getting CBTC, so the B will need the techs whether it's r160's or r211's.

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It depends on the issues. Yes, there has been instances where the B has been suspended partially or totally, but there has been other instances where the B has been rerouted via 8th Avenue.

Lets not forget that 6th Avenue is getting CBTC, so the B will need the techs whether it's r160's or r211's.

While that is true , I’m pretty sure that’s not the point she’s making , the (B)(D) need them for mainly for any reroutes on 8 Av but in most cases, 

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The B gets suspended the moment something goes wrong. The reroute they’re more worried with the D about is Culver, not 8th Avenue. 

so the only real concern from that point would only be the (D) and then rerouting the (D) onto the Culver line like stated above.

55 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

......so anyways, we have new arrivals, 4237-39 at SBK and 4235-36 inbound by morning.

Looking forward to seeing more r211's on the C. Now that the M is fully restored, I find it pretty annoying to see so many r46's running on the C. Hopefully the C can keep their 8 car r179's until option 1.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Looking forward to seeing more r211's on the C. Now that the M is fully restored, I find it pretty annoying to see so many r46's running on the C. Hopefully the C can keep their 8 car r179's until option 1.

I think those 8 car set of R179's on C will go to East New York Yard.

3 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

While that is true , I’m pretty sure that’s not the point she’s making , the (B)(D) need them for mainly for any reroutes on 8 Av but in most cases, 

so the only real concern from that point would only be the (D) and then rerouting the (D) onto the Culver line like stated above.

The Yankee specials use (B) equipment and half of them run to WTC via 8th ave. In most cases the (B) does get suspended but there are times during special events and Baseball season where they run special service using mostly equipment from the (B) and half of those services use 8th ave. It's best they both get techs anyway and there are times where there are GOs where the (D) goes via 8th ave so it's not just Culver.

Here is how I see it:

The B is the independent line, not part of another line like the W and Z, with the shortest service time. Out of a 168 week, it only runs about 85 hours. Roughly 17 hours a day,Monday through Friday.

yes there is our behind the scenes stuff, but I’m just talking about passenger service.

I don’t think putting brand new trains on a line where they will be idle for half the time makes much sense. Sure, the C goes to bed at night, but it works weekends… The B doesn’t.

9 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Here is how I see it:

The B is the independent line, not part of another line like the W and Z, with the shortest service time. Out of a 168 week, it only runs about 85 hours. Roughly 17 hours a day,Monday through Friday.

yes there is our behind the scenes stuff, but I’m just talking about passenger service.

I don’t think putting brand new trains on a line where they will be idle for half the time makes much sense. Sure, the C goes to bed at night, but it works weekends… The B doesn’t.

this is the way I see it, the (N)/(W) and the (Q) will need replacements for their r46s, and if they give new techs to the (D), those 68s would get transferred to CIY to replace them.

However there wont be enough of them to cover all 3 lines, hence where the (B) r68/68a trains would be enough to fully cover the rest and then some and since its based out of CIY they can use those cars as spares for broadway service if need be

11 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'd rather punt all 4-car NTT sets off ASAP, then shift the 5-car R179s over. That would improve consistency with not just the R46s, but also the existing R211s.

12 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

The (B) can get away with keeping R68's and R68A's until about 2028-2030 because CBTC on 6th Ave have been delay.

Every day, I see these signs and am amazed how years ago, we feared LED's could never mimic an actual rollsign. I then hoped smaller LED's would be needed. But they're using fullsized 4mm LED's with a wide pitch (RGB's can't be placed too close together due to heat), and it look far clearer that any rollsign ever could!

Edited by Eric B

9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Here is how I see it:

They don't need to be idle during the weekends. The NQ trains can use them during the weekends.

The MTA still has the option to run the B during the weekends. The B used to run during the weekends in the past (to 57th st though). More local service is needed in CPW during the weekends and the C by itself doesn't do justice and A and D trains need to remain express. Just look at 72nd, 81st and 86th St during the weekends. It's literally a zoo.

It is not 100% guaranteed the BD will get r211's. It's still possible that Jamaica may get some of the option order of r211's and send some of it's r160's to the BD.

55 minutes ago, TyBusLover1 said:

So first 42xx R211A consist in service correct?

Yep

I'm also thinking why the MTA hasn't put the Ss in service yet is because they need at least a year of testing in order to put them in service. We might see them take action this month

Edited by Ale188

7 hours ago, Lex said:

I'd rather punt all 4-car NTT sets off ASAP, then shift the 5-car R179s over. That would improve consistency with not just the R46s, but also the existing R211s.

The C can wait until option 1 to go full length. 

The A and C need to be 100% NTTs before 8th Avenue CBTC is live?

What's ENY going to do with the 8 car r179's displaced from 207?? Keep them idle??

Willie B can only handle a certain number of trains per hour.

16 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The C can wait until option 1 to go full length. 

The A and C need to be 100% NTTs before 8th Avenue CBTC is live?

What's ENY going to do with the 8 car r179's displaced from 207?? Keep them idle??

Willie B can only handle a certain number of trains per hour.

Three words: higher spare factor.

If the R179s currently at 207th do go to ENY in the future, I don't think they necessarily have to be used for extra service. I'm assuming ENY can fit 88-92 more cars. It would at least allow the R143s & R160s with Canarsie CBTC to be kept exclusively for the "L"; plus they are expected to add extra service to this line at some point.

2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I'm assuming ENY can fit 88-92 more cars.

East New York can’t even store the cars it already has. There’s at least 5-6 J’s parked in various corners every night.

again, the relocation of those cars is predicated on the expansion of 207’s inspection barn to hold full length trains, not the arrival of new equipment.

3 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

East New York can’t even store the cars it already has. There’s at least 5-6 J’s parked in various corners every night.

again, the relocation of those cars is predicated on the expansion of 207’s inspection barn to hold full length trains, not the arrival of new equipment.

Everyone seems to forget that this is the reason why the C does not use 10 cars. Also the MTA cares more about how many trains can they put into service vs a spare factor. 

3 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Everyone seems to forget that this is the reason why the C does not use 10 cars. Also the MTA cares more about how many trains can they put into service vs a spare factor.