R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

6 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

That makes 17 R211As.

That's 30 NTTs for the "A" train. 

Don't be surprised if within a couple of weeks from now, the "A" train will only use the r46's during rush hour and by the summer time, the "A" train will most likely be fully NTTs.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Don't be surprised if within a couple of weeks from now, the "A" train will only use the r46's during rush hour and by the summer time, the "A" train will most likely be fully NTTs.

Isn’t the spare factor still too low?

23 minutes ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Isn’t the spare factor still too low?

Not sure. If I'm not mistaken the spare factor is low in most B division yards due to a subway car shortage that won't be fixed until option 1 is delivered.

It seems that the MTA is prioritizing more subway service over higher spare factor.

I don't think it's a good idea to be using so many r46's on the A/C trains during the weekends. The MTA has been doing a lot of track work along CPW and work continues on 8th Avenue CBTC. Any mechanical issues on Pitkins r46's would severely cripple subway service along CPW, 6th and 8th Avenue during the weekends.

34 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It seems that the MTA is prioritizing more subway service over higher spare factor.

I don’t think you can prioritize more service with a Low Spare Factor unless you have “all hands on deck” in regards to Rolling Stock…

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yea, That this rate (A) will be fully NTT by middle of the summer, and R46's will only be on the (C) for awhile, after that R179's will start coming off both the (A)(C) lines, even through I want the R179 to stay on (A)(C) , TA should worry about the R179's on (A)(C) last.

While there are a notable amount of R-211 in service there are still plenty of R-46 along the (A) even outside rush hour. Some R-46 will likely still run the extended weekend (S) beginning in a few weeks starting on Memorial Day. 

7 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

Yea, That this rate (A) will be fully NTT by middle of the summer, and R46's will only be on the (C) for awhile, after that R179's will start coming off both the (A)(C) lines, even through I want the R179 to stay on (A)(C) , TA should worry about the R179's on (A)(C) last.

The R179s are going nowhere. 

8 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

as someone mentioned the 179s arent going anywhere

I know I'm very late with this, but I just rode an R211 for the first time last night. (I moved to Philly right before they entered service.) 

A few things that surprised me: 

I was aware that the regular windows were absurdly small, but I was surprised by how narrow the windows are on the doors. It looks like they made the doors wider but kept the same window width as the narrower doors?! Why not make the windows wider to match the wider doors?! It looks weird and makes no sense! 

The interior lighting seemed quite dim to me. Is this something that adjusts automatically with time of day and/or exterior light levels? If it's always that dim, why? Brighter lighting helps people feel safe, so dimmer lights feels like a step backward. 

The placement of the interior next-stop LED displays at the ends — how the bottom pixels are cut off — drives me absolutely crazy. Why did the MTA accept this obvious design flaw?! 

With that said, I do like the attention to detail with things like the speaker grilles, HVAC grilles, and emergency intercoms. With the R179, it seemed like there was a move toward off-the-shelf components that looked slapped together. The R211 has what looks to me like a more holistic design. 

3 hours ago, rbrome said:

Why not make the windows wider to match the wider doors?! It looks weird and makes no sense! 

so they can use the same replacement glass panels as the other NTTs, having to keep one supply stock instead of two.

3 hours ago, rbrome said:

The interior lighting seemed quite dim to me

might have just been you. though you don't want it too bright...

15 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

The 10 car r179's will most likely stay permanently on the "A" or "C". The 8 car r179's will most likely leave the "C" with the first option order of r211's.

Once the 8 car r179's leave the "C", then the 10 car r179's can go to the "C".

The MTA needs to get some work done on 207, so that the yard can accommodate longer trains. The "C" should not stay mixed length forever.

1 minute ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The 10 car r179's will most likely stay permanently on the "A" or "C". The 8 car r179's will most likely leave the "C" with the first option order of r211's.

Once the 8 car r179's leave the "C", then the 10 car r179's can go to the "C".

The MTA needs to get some work done on 207, so that the yard can accommodate longer trains. The "C" should not stay mixed length forever.

I dont see the 8 car 179s going anywhere at the moment the (B) and (D) will need new techs. Unless they sign off on Option 2 I dont see the C becoming full length yet

1 minute ago, Comrade96 said:

what does this even mean, your comments make no sense

He's probably a kid, leave him alone. Although the pilot being back in service might be his most accurate post ever.

would it be a reasonable assumption to guess that the 8 car R179s will be likely be displaced to ENY once enough R211s arrive for the (C) ? And once that happens, we'll start seeing a lot of CIY R46s go into storage as Pitkin sets displace them?

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

I dont see the 8 car 179s going anywhere at the moment the (B) and (D) will need new techs. Unless they sign off on Option 2 I dont see the C becoming full length yet

I just hope that the MTA exercises option order 2 not only to make the "C" and "G" full length, but also to eliminate the subway car shortage that has been affecting the B division since the retirement of the r44's and to properly accommodate the growth in ridership.

49 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Forgive me for being ignorant on this matter, but why are people suggesting the R179s would leave the (A)(C) in the first place upon the arrival of more R211s? I fail to see a reason for this, although it's probably my ignorance.

I agree with you. That scenario will leave the (A) & (C) lines shorten again. Both lines use 2, if not 3 different r type cars. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just hope that the MTA exercises option order 2 not only to make the "C" and "G" full length, but also to eliminate the subway car shortage that has been affecting the B division since the retirement of the r44's and to properly accommodate the growth in ridership.

Remember their first priority is CBTC and end of life r46’s not fixing car shortages or full length train sets for both lines. That’s an afterthought 

I've been getting off at W4th St this week every day and I have yet to see an R211 when I'm on the upper level.  It has been all R179s, and the two times I took the A a few stops it was an R46.  Just luck I guess if there are so many R211s on the line.  I did ride one a few months ago, and I rode the pilot set when it was still just a pilot.  I have yet to see the R211T in service.  I took a few pics of it when it was on the delivery track by Costco.

20 minutes ago, zacster said:

I've been getting off at W4th St this week every day and I have yet to see an R211 when I'm on the upper level.  It has been all R179s, and the two times I took the A a few stops it was an R46.  Just luck I guess if there are so many R211s on the line.  I did ride one a few months ago, and I rode the pilot set when it was still just a pilot.  I have yet to see the R211T in service.  I took a few pics of it when it was on the delivery track by Costco.

Pretty sure the R211T is OOS at the moment due to the GO regarding downtown (C) running on the CPW express for this week and the next.