Late night bus service to City Island sought on Bx29

GreatOne2k

This one quote stands out to me:

"The Bx29 is the only non-express bus line to the remote island community."

Not local, but non express.... That says enough to me... City Island is NOT that community (as if it's some suburbia, or even suburban-like or something).... I'd say City Island is a poor man's Belle Harbor, and that's giving it more justice than it deserves..... I don't know if it's still like this, but City Island was where you'd go run off to if you're a retired city worker - since from what I've been hearing, they get houses for cheap(er) out there.... Lol @ whoever it was that said that snippet, trying to exalt City Island to an area that it is no where close to being painted as; an area where they refer to local bus service as "non-express"....

That said, I don't see the problem w/ running hawks on the Bx29... I thought the route actually had overnight service.

News to me.

One thing that standsup to me is that the bx29 is the only MTA bus that has to back up 2/3 times to make its return trip to coopcity since there is no other roadway the bus can access to loop around and be back on city island ave

One thing that standsup to me is that the bx29 is the only MTA bus that has to back up 2/3 times to make its return trip to coopcity since there is no other roadway the bus can access to loop around and be back on city island ave

Its not the end of the world for a line that already doesn't get too much service drivers are already used to back up.

Yeah but achieving the backup motoring is astonishing since most MTA bus fleet except the 1200+ series and 5800+ series dont have backWindows and drivers must rely on the retrovisor mirrors

Never forget that cold 07 December 2001 when i saw the impossible achieved ...i know theremay be another MTA bus that does this manoeuvre but the one the bx29 does is priceless

There's plenty of other lines that makes a U-turn at the end of the line to go back the other way

There's plenty of other lines that makes a U-turn at the end of the line to go back the other way

I think he's talking about how tight the U-turn is, though. Most of the time, it's a lot wider. Either they have a cutout, or the streets are wider (like on the Bx9 at the Westchester border for example)

Archived