Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Instead of rerouting the current service patterns of Broadway's subway routes, I'd go for creating a new subway route via Nassau Street as proposed before. However, my plan will be as follows:

Chambers Street to Tottenville at all times, stopping at DeKalb Avenue and running express between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and 59th Street, and then all SIR stops in Staten Island. The (N) will now become a local in Brooklyn and will also stop at DeKalb Avenue at all times.

That would work, and there certainly would be the room in all likelihood.  

In fact, that could also provide incentive to do BOTH the planned Phase 4 of the SAS (plus as I would do there, the extension via a new Schermerhorn Street tunnel to the Fulton Street line as previously noted) AND the connection to the Nassau Street Line, with such a SI line once on the Nassau Line continuing to where that branch connects to the SAS and running to whatever the SAS terminal is by then.  You could then have the (Q)(T) and whatever became a third SAS line (maybe a teal (Z) ?) each with 9 TPH at peak (27 TPH total on the upper part of the SAS and 18 TPH on the part going to midtown).  

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This proposal is meant to relieve switching delays on the QBL.

(R) Extended to 179 Street via Local

(F) Runs Express to 179 Street

(M) Extended to 179 Street via Local, after the RBB opens it would be rerouted to Howard Beach of Rckwy Pk 116 Street

This allows R and M trains to terminate at the better terminal of 179 Street.

It allows the delays caused by the crossovers for the (F) to go on/off the express track at 75th to be gone.

This should relieve delays, and it would relieve some crowding on the E and F.

This proposal is meant to relieve switching delays on the QBL.

(R) Extended to 179 Street via Local

(F) Runs Express to 179 Street

(M) Extended to 179 Street via Local, after the RBB opens it would be rerouted to Howard Beach of Rckwy Pk 116 Street

This allows R and M trains to terminate at the better terminal of 179 Street.

It allows the delays caused by the crossovers for the (F) to go on/off the express track at 75th to be gone.

This should relieve delays, and it would relieve some crowding on the E and F.

I think there would be some congestion at 179 st if all 3 trains terminated and you would need about 3-4 sets of extra (M) and (R) trains if this happens IMO some Rush hour (M) and (R) trains should terminate at forest hills 71 ave and they should end (E) rush hour service to 179th

I think there would be some congestion at 179 st if all 3 trains terminated and you would need about 3-4 sets of extra (M) and (R) trains if this happens IMO some Rush hour (M) and (R) trains should terminate at forest hills 71 ave and they should end (E) rush hour service to 179th

then the E would have 12 TPH, it needs those three to got to 179th

A proposal to send the SAS to the Bronx:

(Q) trains will run to 125th Street

(T) trains will run to Co-op City, running along Pelham Parkway and the Metro-North right of way in the Bronx

A (T) to the Bronx will make the following stops:

Bronx:

Co-op City (at Erskine Place)

Eastchester Road

Williamsbridge Road (5)

Pelham Parkway (at White Plains Road) (2)(5)

Crotona Avenue

Fordham Plaza

183rd Street

180th Street

Tremont Avenue

Claremont Parkway

168th Street

Melrose-161st Street

149th Street

138th Street (6)

Manhattan:

116th Street (Q)

106th Street (Q)

96th Street (Q)

86th Street (Q)

72nd Street (Q)

55th Street

42nd Street

34th Street

23rd Street

14th Street (L)

Houston Street (F)

Grand Street (B)(D)

Chatham Square

Seaport

Hanover Square

The portion along Metro-North will be underground and the segment along Pelham Parkway will be a concrete viaduct.

Edited by lara8710

Actually, you could have it where as needed some (M) or (R) trains after Parsons Boulevard move to the express track and skip 169 if that is an issue (usually that would only be done if there was another local train directly behind the one at Parsons).  That would solve most problems there.

A proposal to send the SAS to the Bronx:

(Q) trains will run to 125th Street

(T) trains will run to Co-op City, running along Pelham Parkway and the Metro-North right of way in the Bronx

A (T) to the Bronx will make the following stops:

Bronx:

Co-op City (at Erskine Place)

Eastchester Road

Williamsbridge Road (5)

Pelham Parkway (at White Plains Road) (2)(5)

Crotona Avenue

Fordham Plaza

183rd Street

180th Street

Tremont Avenue

Claremont Parkway

168th Street

Melrose-161st Street

149th Street

138th Street (6)

Manhattan:

116th Street (Q)

106th Street (Q)

96th Street (Q)

86th Street (Q)

72nd Street (Q)

55th Street

42nd Street

34th Street

23rd Street

14th Street (L)

Houston Street (F)

Grand Street (B)(D)

Chatham Square

Seaport

Hanover Square

The portion along Metro-North will be underground and the segment along Pelham Parkway will be a concrete viaduct.

My plan to send the SAS to the Bronx would be (either as elevated or subway) a rebuild of the 3rd Avenue El in the Bronx that I noted previously.  My plan would have the 138th Stop for the (6) transfer but would have the 149th Street transfer for the (2)(5) and otherwise run mostly along the old 3rd Avenue El route to Gun Hill Road (with a transfer to the (2) and if elevated ending on a new upper level of that station and with provisions for a later extension to Manhattan).  

Actually, you could have it where as needed some (M) or (R) trains after Parsons Boulevard move to the express track and skip 169 if that is an issue (usually that would only be done if there was another local train directly behind the one at Parsons). That would solve most problems there.

I still think the whole idea would be a mess but that would be smart

Has anyone considered adding stops to the SAS? I mean to the Manhattan portion, not extending it.

I was thinking of a St Marks Pl, 49 St, 66 St, and a 79 St stop along with express stops at Grand St, Houston St, 14 St, 42 St, 72 St, and 116 St. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

My plan to send the SAS to the Bronx would be (either as elevated or subway) a rebuild of the 3rd Avenue El in the Bronx that I noted previously. My plan would have the 138th Stop for the (6) transfer but would have the 149th Street transfer for the (2)(5) and otherwise run mostly along the old 3rd Avenue El route to Gun Hill Road (with a transfer to the (2) and if elevated ending on a new upper level of that station and with provisions for a later extension to Manhattan).

If that's what you're planning, it would've been a lot cheaper to NOT demolish the old Third Avenue El, connect it to the Lexington Avenue Line, and run a new service as a local between Gun Hill Road and Brooklyn Bridge.

If that's what you're planning, it would've been a lot cheaper to NOT demolish the old Third Avenue El, connect it to the Lexington Avenue Line, and run a new service as a local between Gun Hill Road and Brooklyn Bridge.

The old El would have had to have been completely rebuilt anyway because by the time it closed in 1973 it was in very bad shape.  They were using specially modified R-12 cars in the final years of that line after the Lo-Vs were retired in 1969.  My plan brings that back, possibly as an underground line, but as noted if elevated with provisions to expand such back into Manhattan.  It could be done so there is a connection to Concourse Yard if need be.

To increase the usefulness of the (T), I would go with my last proposal to run it to the Bronx, but this time I'll also propose the construction of a tunnel to Brooklyn that connects Hanover Square with the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets (A)(C)(G) station, with all trains running local to Euclid Avenue. With that in mind, the (C) will now run express in Brooklyn to Lefferts Boulevard, with (T) trains now making all former (C) stops in that borough. Furthermore, all (A) trains that formerly went to Lefferts Boulevard will now terminate at Howard Beach, and during late nights when the (C) does not run, (T) trains will be extended to Lefferts Boulevard. However, (A) trains will now run express in Brooklyn at all times.

Edited by lara8710

To increase the usefulness of the (T), I would go with my last proposal to run it to the Bronx, but this time I'll also propose the construction of a tunnel to Brooklyn that connects Hanover Square with the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets (A)(C)(G) station, with all trains running local to Euclid Avenue. With that in mind, the (C) will now run express in Brooklyn to Lefferts Boulevard, with (T) trains now making all former (C) stops in that borough. Furthermore, all (A) trains that formerly went to Lefferts Boulevard will now terminate at Howard Beach, and during late nights when the (C) does not run, (T) trains will be extended to Lefferts Boulevard. However, (A) trains will now run express in Brooklyn at all times.

My plan is similar except that it re-activates what currently is the Transit Museum at Court Street back into subway use with the (T) coming into Brooklyn there before stopping at Hoyt-Schermerhorn.  In fact, I would be looking to build that stretch to Seaport in Manhattan if funds became available ahead of any possible Phase 4 of the SAS (especially since doing such would also shorten building of Stage 4 considerably if that were going on).

My plan is similar except that it re-activates what currently is the Transit Museum at Court Street back into subway use with the (T) coming into Brooklyn there before stopping at Hoyt-Schermerhorn. In fact, I would be looking to build that stretch to Seaport in Manhattan if funds became available ahead of any possible Phase 4 of the SAS (especially since doing such would also shorten building of Stage 4 considerably if that were going on).

I'd now go to extending the (Q) along 125th Street to the far west side of upper Manhattan. It would make the following stops:

125th Street (at Lexington Avenue) (4)(5)(6)

Lenox Avenue (2)(3)

Saint Nicholas Avenue (A)(B)(C)(D)

Mahattanville-12th Avenue (1)

Exactly as I would do it and have suggested previously.

In addition, I would propose a new service to Queens between 179th Street and Hanover Square utilizing a Queens Boulevard bypass along the LIRR right of way, stopping at Woodside-61st Street along the way and running local east of Forest Hills. ((F) trains will now run express along this segment at all times, and (E) trains will do the same at all times except late nights.)

I don't think it will be possible to run along the LIRR. Also, this (V) is gonna cause congestion on QBL, since that's really the only thing you can do. The rest I more or less think would be suitable.

This is the link to a map I created for my SAS proposals:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en_US&mid=z5Zu60ZnJlME.kNIX-6Q1D5ZI

I don't think it will be possible to run along the LIRR. Also, this (V) is gonna cause congestion on QBL, since that's really the only thing you can do. The rest I more or less think would be suitable.

There is room for two additional tracks to Rego Park, or you can elevate it over the ROW.

This is what I was thinking:

The (3) is eliminated from the 7th Ave Lines, and runs up via Lex AV up to Burnside Ave via Jerome Express.

--Or---

The (3) is cut back to a shuttle between 148 St and 14 St with rush hour service to Crown Heights/New Lots Av.

The (9) returns and runs between 242 St Can Cortlandt Park via Broadway Express stopping at 242 St, 225 St, Dyckman St, 137 St, then via local from 137 St to Chambers St, then via the (3) to New Lots Ave.

Other proposals:

During the AM Rush, 5 select (1) trains run to New Lots Ave. This allows riders from Bronx to have a one seat ride to Brooklyn.

This is what I was thinking:

The (3) is eliminated from the 7th Ave Lines, and runs up via Lex AV up to Burnside Ave via Jerome Express.

--Or---

The (3) is cut back to a shuttle between 148 St and 14 St with rush hour service to Crown Heights/New Lots Av.

The (9) returns and runs between 242 St Can Cortlandt Park via Broadway Express stopping at 242 St, 225 St, Dyckman St, 137 St, then via local from 137 St to Chambers St, then via the (3) to New Lots Ave.

Other proposals:

During the AM Rush, 5 select (1) trains run to New Lots Ave. This allows riders from Bronx to have a one seat ride to Brooklyn.

Which idea should I explain why it wouldn't work first?