Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not? (Q) via Manhattan Bridge, 6 Avenue express, to 96 Street. 47-50 Streets–Rockefeller Center has the necessary switches to make this possible. The (B) is expendable (as shown by how quickly the MTA shuts it down when problems come up), so more frequent (Q) trains can replace the (B).

Show me an example on how the :Q: can be sent to 2 Av through 6 Av?

Show me an example on how the :Q: can be sent to 2 Av through 6 Av?

1. Well, you already know how the (Q) can get to 6 Avenue—the same way the (B) does.
  2. At 47-50 Streets–Rockefeller Center, it switches to the same tracks that the (F) currently uses. Both the express and local tracks are connected to it much like the arrangement at 36 Street (in Queens and in Brooklyn).
  3. Before reaching Lexington Avenue–63 Street, the (Q) switches to the 2 Avenue tracks, makes a stop on the northern side of the platform, and continues to 2 Avenue proper.

magic! :D

I don't understand, what is this obsession in creating a quasi-loop for the (M)? I've seen this idea ever since the line was rerouted up 6th Avenue in 2010 and still don't see the point behind it.

1.  Chrystie Street Connection is the reason behind your complaint 

2.  (brownM) ran empty to Chambers St and Bay Parkway when it served Nassau St 

3. The MTA saw the (M) as way of getting passengers to Midtown Manhattan conveniently without transferring at  Essex for the (F)

1. Well, you already know how the (Q) can get to 6 Avenue—the same way the (B) does.
  2. At 47-50 Streets–Rockefeller Center, it switches to the same tracks that the (F) currently uses. Both the express and local tracks are connected to it much like the arrangement at 36 Street (in Queens and in Brooklyn).
  3. Before reaching Lexington Avenue–63 Street, the (Q) switches to the 2 Avenue tracks, makes a stop on the northern side of the platform, and continues to 2 Avenue proper.

magic! :D

WOW well done  :lol:

Edited by Take a Ride on the 1

How about a transfer between Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza. Would this be doable or is there a sufficient reason for making the connection?

There is more than enough reason to make the connection, but I'd imagine it would be a difficult structural matter to pull off.

There is more than enough reason to make the connection, but I'd imagine it would be a difficult structural matter to pull off.

About 800'-900' from complex to complex now would be the time to do it. with all the new construction maybe cutting a walkway under the sidewalk on the south side? I'd take it there at least 16'-20' wide could be enough room to build. 

It's more of a matter of working around the existing utilities under Queens Plaza (the service roads, not the station itself). That and any passageway between the two stations would have to be ADA accessible, which forces Queensboro Plaza to have to be ADA accessible. The costs balloon and what seems like a simple project becomes much more complex.

It's more of a matter of working around the existing utilities under Queens Plaza (the service roads, not the station itself). That and any passageway between the two stations would have to be ADA accessible, which forces Queensboro Plaza to have to be ADA accessible. The costs balloon and what seems like a simple project becomes much more complex.

I'm surprised QBP isn't a key station that the feds have sued to make accessible yet.

They probably got around it by having the nearby Queens Plaza station be accessible and eventually upgrading the Court Square (7) station to be accessible as well.

That and anyone who needs to access the (N)(Q)(7) could also make a cross-platform transfer at Lex and 59th from the (R).

That and anyone who needs to access the (N)(Q)(7) could also make a cross-platform transfer at Lex and 59th from the (R).

That’s a pretty crappy way to do it. The westernmost entrance of the Queens Plaza station is just 300 feet away from the eastern tip of the Queensboro Plaza platforms.

Due to potential differences between platform and car height, not all platforms are accessible. In fact, even at accessible stations generally only the middle of the platform meets ADA accessibility standards for getting onto trains.

We should add more express service in the outer boroughs.

bring back the (1)(9) skip stop service between 137 & 242

extend the (5) rush hour super express nonstop from 180th to Gun Hill 

implement a new  <4> rush hour express service between 125 & Woodlawn

when the (W) returns, make the (N) run express between Queensboro Plaza & Astoria Blvd during rush hours

extend special rush hour (E) service into Brooklyn via the Culver Line running Express down to Ave X

I don't see the (9) returning as ridership raised so much skip-stop was made redundant. Maybe a peak express between 96 and 137 St could be possible, but that's about it.

Select <5> trains already do that when necessary.

implement a new <4> rush hour express service between 125 & Woodlawn

Already tried, wasn't successful.

when the (W) returns, make the (N) run express between Queensboro Plaza & Astoria Blvd during rush hours

Again, tried but unsuccessful.

extend special rush hour (E) service into Brooklyn via the Culver Line running Express down to Ave X

How would this work? I doubt there is enough space in the Cranberry to fit the special (E) s, and the area between West 4th St and 2 Av may be a mess. If special (E) s are to go on the Culver, I'd property rename it as a different line like (K) and (H).

Replies in bold.

Responding to the above, the only tunnels that currently have room for an additional service are Rutgers (F), 63rd Street (F), Montague (R) and 149th Street (2). Nothing else can get to Rutgers due to the (M) using the extra local capacity. Wasn't there a proposal to build a tunnel connecting the Brighton Line near Prospect Park to the Culver under 9th Street at one point to utilize this capacity?

63rd Street would never be fully utilized unless a service comes off of Second Avenue (connection tracks to/from the south are part of Phase 3 for yard moves) and the super-express or another line on the Queens side is built. Montague was better-utilized in the past but stopped due to the (brownM)(V) merger and low ridership.

Replies in bold.

Not only that, but extending the (E) down to Avenue X will make the line almost as long as the (F) and would require a significant increase in the number of cars/trains to cover service.

Responding to the above, the only tunnels that currently have room for an additional service are Rutgers (F), 63rd Street (F), Montague (R) and 149th Street (2). Nothing else can get to Rutgers due to the (M) using the extra local capacity. Wasn't there a proposal to build a tunnel connecting the Brighton Line near Prospect Park to the Culver under 9th Street at one point to utilize this capacity?

I believe the idea was first floated sometime during the Manhattan Bridge closures. The basis was to have continuous 6th Avenue service to Brooklyn when the north tracks were closed so in theory, the (D) would've run to Brooklyn via Rutgers and the Culver line to the Prospect Park connection and continued down the Brighton line as normal.

implement a new  <4> rush hour express service between 125 & Woodlawn

1. No  (W) is needed.

2. Have 2  (N)<N> services during rush hour.  (N) 4 Av Exp via Manhattan Bridge Broadway Exp Astoria Lcl.  <N> 4 Av Exp Via Montague St Broadway Lcl Astoria Exp. Only 5  <N> run in AM and PM rush

3.  (1)  (9) Skip-Stop is not needed that's why it got eliminated in 2005.

4.  <4> express along Woodlawn was tried before in 2009 under the pilot program but it was unpopular.

5.  <5> running express from E180 to Gun Hill Road via White Plains makes no snese and MTA has never tried it. 

6. Rush Hour  (E) should go to Euclid Av while the  (C) goes to Ozone Park. 

1. No (W) is needed.

2. Have 2 (N)<N> services during rush hour. (N) 4 Av Exp via Manhattan Bridge Broadway Exp Astoria Lcl. <N> 4 Av Exp Via Montague St Broadway Lcl Astoria Exp. Only 5 <N> run in AM and PM rush.

This is ludicrous. Even if this plan for two 4th Avenue Expresses (and one via tunnel[emoji848]-someone clearly hasn't seen a track map) is implemented, there is no way in hell that one will be called the <N>. One of those services would be called the (W).

Also what about middays? I highly doubt that the (N) can handle Astoria by itself at any time except weekends and late nights (and you'd have a convincing argument if you feel that more service is needed on the weekends).

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

This is ludicrous. Even if this plan for two 4th Avenue Expresses (and one via tunnel[emoji848]-someone clearly hasn't seen a track map) is implemented, there is no way in hell that one will be called the <N>. One of those services would be called the (W).

Also what about middays? I highly doubt that the (N) can handle Astoria by itself at any time except weekends and late nights (and you'd have a convincing argument if you feel that more service is needed on the weekends).

There's a reason why everything that runs express on 4th Avenue bypasses Dekalb as well. Head on over to nycsubway.org and look at the track maps if you don't know. The (N) ran express in the olden days because the south side of the bridge was closed.

The passenger load in Astoria was why the (Q) was extended to Ditmars when the (W) was discontinued. It should probably run there on weekends, but that's a moot point now that the (W) is likely coming back.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

(N) can run local via Montague St and Broadway during weekdays after Rush Hour calms. If this sounds funny I apologize but im trying to find an alternative instead of bring a (W) that is stealing cars from (N)(Q)

(N) can run local via Montague St and Broadway during weekdays after Rush Hour calms. If this sounds funny I apologize but im trying to find an alternative instead of bring a (W) that is stealing cars from (N)(Q)

The Sea Beach riders are coming for your head.