Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

My proposal for reorganization of the b division lines.   This reorganization proposal will put all the trains that opperate in manhattan in alphabetical order on their respective lines.

The (E) will become a blue bullet b

the (B) will become a orange bullet e

the (M) will become a orange bullet g

the (G) will become lime green bullet h

the (Z) will become a brown bullet k

the (W) when it returns will become yellow bullet m

the (Q) will become a yellow bullet o

the (R) will become a yellow bullet p

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My proposal for reorganization of the b division lines. This reorganization proposal will put all the trains that opperate in manhattan in alphabetical order on their respective lines.

The (E) will become a blue bullet b

the (B) will become a orange bullet e

the (M) will become a orange bullet g

the (G) will become lime green bullet h

the (Z) will become a brown bullet k

the (W) when it returns will become yellow bullet m

the (Q) will become a yellow bullet o

the (R) will become a yellow bullet p

Hahaha that last one got me ????????????????

@Wallyhorse: You and your "pols"...

If there were unlimited subway cars available, both A and B divisions, what service extensions and service enhancements would you make using the existing tracks?

Interesting exercise. Of course, the number of subway cars isn't the only thing holding back service expansions and enhancements. Money notwithstanding, there's also the various capacity constraints in place due to track and switch layouts.  Taking these into account, here's what I came up with:

(2) - 241 Street to Flatbush Av - all times; 7th Ave express at all times

(3) - 148 Street to New Lots Av - all times except late nights

(3) - 148 Street to South Ferry - late nights

(B) - Bedford Park to Brighton Beach - normal hours

(B) - 145 Street to Prospect Park - weekends

(C)full length trains

(G)full length trains

(K) - Broadway Junction to 95 Street - normal hours - new route
(M) - 71 Avenue to Metropolitan Av - all times
(N) - 96 Street to Coney Island - all times; local via Manhattan Bridge during overnight hours
(Q) - 96 Street to Coney Island - all times; Broadway Express at all times
(R) - Ditmars Blvd to 95 Street - all times*
(W) - Ditmars Blvd to Whitehall St - normal hours**

All other routes remain as they are.

*Yes, I'm aware of the yard issue with having the (R) serve Astoria. I feel it's no different than having the (G) run all the way down the Culver line to be maintained at Coney Island. Besides, running the line to Astoria allows for more streamlined service.
**This is dependent on how many trains service Bay Ridge and the 4th Avenue local. If there is a higher demand for service in Brooklyn, this route would be cancelled.
Edited by Lance

Interesting exercise. Of course, the number of subway cars isn't the only thing holding back service expansions and enhancements. Money notwithstanding, there's also the various capacity constraints in place due to track and switch layouts. Taking these into account, here's what I came up with:

(2) - 241 Street to Flatbush Av - all times; 7th Ave express at all times

(3) - 148 Street to New Lots Av - all times except late nights

(3) - 148 Street to South Ferry - late nights

(B) - Bedford Park to Brighton Beach - normal hours

(B) - 145 Street to Prospect Park - weekends

(C) - full length trains

(G) - full length trains

(K) - Broadway Junction to 95 Street - normal hours - new route

(M) - 71 Avenue to Metropolitan Av - all times

(N) - 96 Street to Coney Island - all times; local via Manhattan Bridge during overnight hours

(Q) - 96 Street to Coney Island - all times; Broadway Express at all times

(R) - Ditmars Blvd to 95 Street - all times*

(W) - Ditmars Blvd to Whitehall St - normal hours**

*Yes, I'm aware of the yard issue with having the (R) serve Astoria. I feel it's no different than having the (G) run all the way down the Culver line to be maintained at Coney Island. Besides, running the line to Astoria allows for more streamlined service.

**This is dependent on how many trains service Bay Ridge and the 4th Avenue local. If there is a higher demand for service in Brooklyn, this route would be cancelled.

Why limit the (B) to Prospect Park? Extend it to Kings Highway so that it serves the two B division stations with the highest ridership south of Atlantic Avenue. (Not even mentioning the fact that fumigating at Prospect Park would delay (Q) trains.)

Interesting exercise. Of course, the number of subway cars isn't the only thing holding back service expansions and enhancements. Money notwithstanding, there's also the various capacity constraints in place due to track and switch layouts.  Taking these into account, here's what I came up with:

Would the 3 run local during late nights?

Also, you would only have the M on the local tracks of Queens Boulevard? It has to be replaced by something. You can't run 19 TPH (M + R TPH) on Sixth Avenue with the F.

This is my list.

(2) 241 Street to Flatbush Av - all times; 7th Ave express at all times

(3) 148 Street to New Lots Av - all times except late nights

(3) 148 Street to South Ferry - late nights

(B) Bedford Park Boulevard to Brighton Beach normal hours

(B) 145th Street to Prospect Park weekends

(C) 168th Street to Ozone Park–Lefferts Boulevard and full length trains

(G) full length trains

(M) Forest Hills – 71st Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue at all times.

(N) 96th Street to Coney Island

(Q) 96th Street to Coney Island; Broadway Express at all times. More frequent service, up to 12–13 TPH to make it competitive with the Lex.

(R) Forest Hills – 71st Avenue to Ninth Avenue or Bay Parkway.

(W) Astoria – Ditmars Boulevard to 95th Street. 13 TPH.

The NX, operates via the Sea Beach express, then through Coney Island and to Kings Highway on the B/Q summer weekends.

Where would the (NX) terminate on its northern end? With the (Q) using the middle tracks to/from 2nd Ave I don't think that's very practical IMO. 96th St? Astoria?

I meant with the (5) going to Flatbush Avenue at all times other than overnights (I did say when it normally runs, that should have reflected the fact late nights it is a shuttle).  Late nights, I would have the (5) run to and terminate at 125th Street, allowing connections to the (4) and (6) there. 

The four trains at 179 is during the (L) shutdown only, and that would specifically be so the (G) can stop at Queens Plaza (as I think otherwise, Court Square is going to be a disaster) while the (M) can then run 15 TPH to 179 (also, doing that you can have some northbound trains switch to the express track after Parsons Boulevard if there is a logjam since it's past where the (E) is on the line).  

The (C) to Lefferts at all times (including late-nights) along with a limited number of <A> trains in the peak direction to/from Lefferts I think would be needed to keep pols and others happy (since the (C) being 24/7 would eliminate the need for the late-night shuttle on Lefferts). 

The (B) on weekends to Coney Island would be more of a summer line so people going to the beach have direct 6th Avenue service. 

Unless you want the (5) terminating on the upper level at 125th St (think of the confusion that would bring), 138th might be the better option. Besides, with the (4) running local late nights it covers all the stops. And for those folks wanting Bronx (6) svce, transfer at 138th and take the (4) one stop.

If it were me coming from Dyre at night my plan would be to catch the Bx28/38 at Gunhill if I were going to/near Co-Op or the Bx8/12 at Pelham Pkwy if I were headed east or south.

Even for 18+ months that's still too much redundancy. 3 locals to 179th? If you MUST run the (G) past 21st at least turn it at Forest Hills. (R) alone to 179th should be able to handle it.

Did I mention that Fulton/8th Av/CPW doesn't need the additional (C) service late night? The current svce is just fine. That's why the (S) to Rock Pk was added once the (C) is put to bed with (A) running to Lefferts/Far Rock.

The (B) thing was deftly handled by CenSin. Good catch.

Would the 3 run local during late nights?

Also, you would only have the M on the local tracks of Queens Boulevard? It has to be replaced by something. You can't run 19 TPH (M + R TPH) on Sixth Avenue with the F.

This is my list.

(2) 241 Street to Flatbush Av - all times; 7th Ave express at all times

(3) 148 Street to New Lots Av - all times except late nights

(3) 148 Street to South Ferry - late nights

(B) Bedford Park Boulevard to Brighton Beach normal hours

(B) 145th Street to Prospect Park weekends

(C) 168th Street to Ozone Park–Lefferts Boulevard and full length trains

(G) full length trains

(M) Forest Hills – 71st Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue at all times.

(N) 96th Street to Coney Island

(Q) 96th Street to Coney Island; Broadway Express at all times. More frequent service, up to 12–13 TPH to make it competitive with the Lex.

(R) Forest Hills – 71st Avenue to Ninth Avenue or Bay Parkway.

(W) Astoria – Ditmars Boulevard to 95th Street. 13 TPH.

This has the same issue that Lance's proposal did. My response:

Why limit the  (B) to Prospect Park? Extend it to Kings Highway so that it serves the two B division stations with the highest ridership south of Atlantic Avenue. (Not even mentioning the fact that fumigating at Prospect Park would delay  (Q) trains.)

I have a crazy idea. What if the WTC Path lines were extended to the East Side and up on 2nd Avenue?

This way the Port Authority could co-fund the project. PATH train cars are only about 0.1 meters less wide than a typical R160. That is about a 1/3 of a foot wider than a PA-5. The systems would finally unify and use the MTA's new card for the systems.

I think this is one of the best ways to tackle the bus-commuter problem. A bus terminal could be built at the Harrison PATH station (there is a huge vacant lot next to the tracks), and commuters would be able to connect to all the trains they need downtown. The East Side would also receive direct access to many areas of New Jersey.

obligatory again this is totally not feasible blah blah blah

but the SAS project could recieve a ton more money if this were the case.

edit: also the (T) would be completely replaced by the PATH. Only the (Q) would travel with PATH trains to 125th St.

I have a crazy idea. What if the WTC Path lines were extended to the East Side and up on 2nd Avenue?

This way the Port Authority could co-fund the project. PATH train cars are only about 0.1 meters less wide than a typical R160. That is about a 1/3 of a foot wider than a PA-5. The systems would finally unify and use the MTA's new card for the systems.

I think this is one of the best ways to tackle the bus-commuter problem. A bus terminal could be built at the Harrison PATH station (there is a huge vacant lot next to the tracks), and commuters would be able to connect to all the trains they need downtown. The East Side would also receive direct access to many areas of New Jersey.

edit: also the (T) would be completely replaced by the PATH. Only the (Q) would travel with PATH trains to 125th St.

Nah. Leave the east side for the MTA and let me do its part for NJ.

Even if I wasn't against it I don't even think the PATH and the B division have the same dimensions. The PATH's width is somewhere between the A and B division iirc.

I feel like the  (J)(Z) lines should be extended like how the M did on rush hours to Bay Parkway. But instead, have the (J) run as the West End Local and the (Z) run as the West End Express at all times. Also, probably extend service to Coney Island on late nights and have the (D) run as the Sea Beach express. That way, people can get to Manhattan from the West End line way quicker and makes use of the middle tracks on both lines. 

Edited by Cone E Island

As Second Avenue, no. To the east side, I feel like there should be a PATH line underneath 57 St to Third Av.

I feel like the (J) & (Z) lines should be extended like how the M did on rush hours to Bay Parkway. But instead, have the (J) run as the West End Local and the (Z) run as the West End Express at all times. Also, probably extend service to Coney Island on late nights and have the (D) run as the Sea Beach express. That way, people can get to Manhattan from the West End line way quicker and makes use of the middle tracks on both lines.

-The (Z) is nothing more than a (J) with a different designation.

-The (D) can handle West End completely on its own. The middle track is useless.

-The Sea Beach express tracks are even more useless. They serve no immediate stops between Coney Island and 59 St. And one of the tracks doesn't even exist anymore between 59 St and Kings Hwy. Look up the NX and see why it failed.

-Your plan would effectively have shorter trains running along the West End line.

-Its almost impossible to have bi-directional express service on a 3-track layout. Something gotta give...

-There isn't even enough trains to warrant a (J) extension.

You people never change. Why was I even expecting something different?

Maybe because most posters propose the same ideas over and over again even though they've been explained to numerous times why their suggestions won't work. In addition, you have some that are unaware of the track layouts, switches, line merges, ridership, passenger demand, etc. and the limitations they put on the system already.

Some famous examples are:

(C) Extension to Lefferts / (E) to Euclid

(9) Express service along Broadway

(4) Express service in The Bronx

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Another few ideas I have that could prevent traffic in some areas.

(E) - Jamaica Center to Euclid Ave (except late nights), World Trade Center (late nights only)

This can help prevent long waits on the  (C) line as well as reduce transfers.

(C) - 168 St to Lefferts Boulevard

This can actually make the A trains less confusing to some riders. This would reduce the wait for a Lefferts Boulevard/Far Rockaway bound train. Lefferts Blvd riders can just transfer to the C on the express track and get there. Then, there would be no more Lefferts Blvd bound A trains.

(A) - 207 St to Far Rockaway, Rockaway Park (rush hours only)

Just the same thing I said about the  (C) extension. Lefferts Blvd service would be replaced with the  (C) line.

(L) - Washington Heights to Canarsie - Rockaway Parkway

I think the L train should be extended as a local train via 10th Avenue. I feel like this is a good way to revive the V as a train to Metropolitan Avenue and as the 10th Avenue Express to Washington Heights.

(V) - 186 St to Metropolitan Ave

Like I said before, the V train as a Myrtle Avenue local and a 10th Avenue express might make the line useful again. It would help serve as an alternative to the Central Park West line, make crowds at 42nd Street decrease, and also establish a new Hudson Yards portion.

Edited by Cone E Island

Another few ideas I have that could prevent traffic in some areas.

(E) - Jamaica Center to Euclid Ave (except late nights), World Trade Center (late nights only)

This can help prevent long waits on the  (C) line as well as reduce transfers.

(C) - 168 St to Lefferts Boulevard

This can actually make the A trains less confusing to some riders. This would reduce the wait for a Lefferts Boulevard/Far Rockaway bound train. Lefferts Blvd riders can just transfer to the C on the express track and get there. Then, there would be no more Lefferts Blvd bound A trains.

(A) - 207 St to Far Rockaway, Rockaway Park (rush hours only)

Just the same thing I said about the  (C) extension. Lefferts Blvd service would be replaced with the  (C) line.

You're introducing more merges, with the (C) & (E) extensions. As for the (C) to Lefferts, it would only result in increased service if the MTA were to spend more money on sending (A) trains out to the Rockaways which is a longer distance than Lefferts.

Because that's literally what it is. You don't pick to specifically do (Z) runs, those are supplement (J) trains

It's been stated to death, and it doesn't help advance the topic at all. No new information is revealed by you repeating the same phrase tens of times over.