(D) to Brighton

(Q)West End

(R) new Queenslink line and cut back to City Hall/Whitehall St

(W) Bay Ridge

(2) as is to Flatbush Av

(3) to Utica Av line

(4) to New Lots Av

(5) to Crown Hts - Utica Av or to Extension to Bway Junction via Eastern Pkwy

Nah, I can de-interline South Brooklyn routes. I don't think the post you did is mostly accurate. It can be better if both (N) and (Q) trains run via Brighton making (N) trains Brighton express, This will remove the interlining from B/Q trains. As well during that proposal. We can make (B) and (D) trains bypass DeKalb Avenue whist (N) and (Q) goes via the bridge and run towards DeKalb Avenue. Then, This can cause higher frequency towards those 4 lines. (B), (D) and (R) trains will rule via 4th Avenue, (B) and (D) trains will be running 4th Avenue Express, No changes to the (R) line since this will be running via Bay Ridge. With Rush Hour Select (W) trains, This can be going the same route as the (R) or to 86th street as usual. (Probably.)

(B) trains will be running along Sea Beach while the (D) continue its way towards West End.

Now for the Eastern Parkway Line on Brooklyn

It's easy to De-Interline

(2) and (3) trains to Flatbush Avenue Hence, They run local,

(4) To New Lots Avenue and (5) trains terminating at Crown Heights. Making Probably either (4) trains run Local or (5) trains, Eh Idk. Either way wouldn't do much.

This can relive congestion towards (2) and (5) trains, And making two local lines going to Flatbush causes more reliability in service.

(F) via 53rd like old times is better than 63rd I agree on that

I would make (M) and (R) trains run Via 63rd so this can relieve interlining from 36th Street. Especially. And (E) and (F) trains running along 53rd St.

(Could cause more interlining on Lexington Av - 63rd /shrug)

(R) trains shouldn't be cut on Whitehall, It should serve Brooklyn at is it.

LGA Link Extension along Astoria is necessary in my own proposal as well so it can relieve crowds on both Q70, and M60 Select Bus Services. And probably bringing back <W> astoria express since it has a purpose along the extension.

yes.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jacob said:

I would make (M) and (R) trains run Via 63rd so this can relieve interlining from 36th Street. Especially. And (E) and (F) trains running along 53rd St.

LGA Link Extension along Astoria is necessary in my own proposal as well so it can relieve crowds on both Q70, and M60 Select Bus Services. And probably bringing back <W> astoria express since it has a purpose along the extension.

yes.

The thing I'm going to have to disagree with you, actually lemme rephrase that, tell you to forget about this idea on having the (R) along 63 St. Not only is there interlining involved at Lexington Av-63 St which wouldn't be that bad, but there's more interlining involved on Broadway. Currently right now, the (N) has to crossover between 34 St-Herald Square and Times Square-42 St from express to local and vice versa. Having the (R) along 63 St would just make this whole thing even worse because the (R) has to switch over from Local to Express causing more delays than needed. It would work better if it was the (N) running along 63 St to run Forest Hills swapping out the (R), but even that in of itself has a huge issue.

Currently, QBL local stations west of Jackson Heights has six local stops before the next express stop either being 21 St-Queensbridge or Queens Plaza. A lot of people are going to be completely cut off from Queens Plaza west of Jackson Heights. That would literally be adding in more crowding at that station, something that also isn't needed at all. If 36 St was converted to an express station, I don't think this idea would be that big of an issue, but it 100% definitely is. 

The only thing you can implement is swapping the (F) and (M), it's going to be wasted effort moving the (R) or even the (N) for that matter to 63 St.

8 hours ago, Jacob said:

Nah, I can de-interline South Brooklyn routes. I don't think the post you did is mostly accurate. It can be better if both (N) and (Q) trains run via Brighton making (N) trains Brighton express, This will remove the interlining from B/Q trains. As well during that proposal. We can make (B) and (D) trains bypass DeKalb Avenue whist (N) and (Q) goes via the bridge and run towards DeKalb Avenue. Then, This can cause higher frequency towards those 4 lines. (B), (D) and (R) trains will rule via 4th Avenue, (B) and (D) trains will be running 4th Avenue Express, No changes to the (R) line since this will be running via Bay Ridge. With Rush Hour Select (W) trains, This can be going the same route as the (R) or to 86th street as usual. (Probably.)

(B) trains will be running along Sea Beach while the (D) continue its way towards West End.

Now for the Eastern Parkway Line on Brooklyn

It's easy to De-Interline

(2) and (3) trains to Flatbush Avenue Hence, They run local,

(4) To New Lots Avenue and (5) trains terminating at Crown Heights. Making Probably either (4) trains run Local or (5) trains, Eh Idk. Either way wouldn't do much.

This can relive congestion towards (2) and (5) trains, And making two local lines going to Flatbush causes more reliability in service.

yes.

But if you run the (R) via 63rd, then it would have to enter 57th and 7th on the express tracks, so that would be one hell of a merge point if the (R) stays local in Manhattan. I’d either leave the (R) as is, or remove it from the QB line and replace it with a ( V ) via 34th St (or another crosstown street in Midtown Manhattan) like @Vulturious outlined a few posts up thread.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Seems like the only de-interlining we can agree on is swapping the (F)for 53 st and (M)to 63 st. but unfortunately the MTA wont do it because it means having to make the (M)run 24/7. Past Myrtle/Delancey-Essex. I mean isnt there anyway we can cut back the (R)on weekends to Whitehall/34 st so the (M)can run to Queens during weekends.

but then again the (R)does have the better transfer points which i understand why its given preference.

Same with De-interlining plans with the (B). I think the (B) would make a good alternative for either Sea Beach or Bay Ridge if were putting both the (N)(Q) at Brighton since they prefer Bway lines over 6 av. But the MTA doesn't seem willing to let the (B) or (M)run on weekends.

45 minutes ago, subwaykid256 said:

Seems like the only de-interlining we can agree on is swapping the (F)for 53 st and (M)to 63 st. but unfortunately the MTA wont do it because it means having to make the (M)run 24/7. Past Myrtle/Delancey-Essex. I mean isnt there anyway we can cut back the (R)on weekends to Whitehall/34 st so the (M)can run to Queens during weekends.

but then again the (R)does have the better transfer points which i understand why its given preference.

Same with De-interlining plans with the (B). I think the (B) would make a good alternative for either Sea Beach or Bay Ridge if were putting both the (N)(Q) at Brighton since they prefer Bway lines over 6 av. But the MTA doesn't seem willing to let the (B) or (M)run on weekends.

You don't have to run the (M) 24/7 outside the Eastern Division, the (M) could just keep the same service during weekends and late nights and have the (F) cover for it other times like it did for the (B) in Manhattan when it was only a shuttle along West End. 

33 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

You don't have to run the (M) 24/7 outside the Eastern Division, the (M) could just keep the same service during weekends and late nights and have the (F) cover for it other times like it did for the (B) in Manhattan when it was only a shuttle along West End. 

Right.  As I have said before in my ideas of moving the <R> to Nassau and making the (W) a full-time line (moving it to QBL to replace the (R) in Queens and Broadway full-time, part of that would be nights and weekends having such an <R> run to Metropolitan Avenue in place of the (M) as it would absorb both the weekend and late night (M) shuttles (during the week, with the abandoned northbound platforms at Canal Street and Bowery reopened so the (J) can run to the Willy B on those tracks so during the week, this version of the <R> terminates at Canal Street, usually on what is currently the northbound track but would become in this setup the "southbound express" track). That would suffice, especially in this, the (W) becomes a 24/7 Broadway local from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (with in rush hours, some trains ending and beginning at 9th Avenue on the (D) in Brooklyn). 

1 hour ago, subwaykid256 said:

“This is the way we’ve always done it” is and has long been the curse of the MTA. The (F) could certainly cover for the (M) on weekends/overnight if it’s rerouted to 63rd St, but whether the MTA would be willing to do that now is anyone’s guess, given their unwillingness to change. Same with cutting the (R) at Whitehall and running the (W) to Brooklyn in its place.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:52 AM, nightrider said:

I think that instead of converting Fordham and BPB-Lehman College into express stops, the TA can just add a switches on from the downtown track to the express track north of the station, as they don't exist. The current layout requires the train to leave the station before switching tracks, which makes it a logistics nightmare for signal operators. Then have the (4) rush-hour locals terminate at Burnside Av, and <4> continue to Woodlawn. Make it similar to the (6)/<6>  on the Pelham Line. It would alleviate the capacity problems that exist at Woodlawn. The biggest problem I find with the (4) was how crowded it got during rush hour for Bronx Riders when it reached 161st St. The only downside are for riders that only ride along Jerome and have to switch between trains on Burnside.  So the <4> would be Woodlawn, Mosholu, BPB, Kingsbridge, Fordham, 183 St, Burnside, 149 St, 125th. The (4) would be Burnside, 176 St, Mt Eden, 170 St, 167 St, 161 St, 149 St, 138 St, 125 St.

I agree that converting Fordham to an express stop would be a nightmare considering how close the buildings are to the elevated structure in the area.

But if you do a zoned express with locals turning at Burnside, then every station on the (4) line other than Burnside and 149th will see a major cut in service resulting in more crowded trains. And most of the stations north of Burnside are major transfer points between the (4) and buses from all over The Bronx and Westchester. The (6) / <6> setup isn’t bad because the (6) is local in Manhattan and doesn’t interline with any other trains, so there can be respectable frequencies at the Bronx local stations and the stations north of Parkchester. A (4) / <4> setup would be much less fortunate due to having to share with the (5).

Some de-interlining ideas I'm trying with but i need to know if I have the late night (R) shuttle and The (W)both terminating at Whitehall St at the same time or is the middle track the only option for terminating trains.

(B)now a 24/7 line Runs via Sea Beach terminates at 36 St/Atlantic Av-Barclays Center weekends/late nights

(D) As is

(F) as discussed running along 53 St

(M)as discussed running along 63 st and runs 24/7

(N)Brighton Express runs weekdays only

(Q)As is

(R) Runs late night shuttle pattern in weekends

(W)as is but 24/7 service

(1)as is but if necessary shorter frequencies to make room for (3)on weekends

(2)As is and higher frequencies

(3) Harlem-148 St - Flatbush Av Brooklyn College. Weekend service cut back to (1)South Ferry Station and shorter frequencies if needed

(4) Extended to New Lots Av at all times

(5) Rerouted to Crown Hts Utica Av weekdays. (May run on Future Utica Av line) Weekend/Late night service the same

1 hour ago, subwaykid256 said:

Some de-interlining ideas I'm trying with but i need to know if I have the late night (R) shuttle and The (W)both terminating at Whitehall St at the same time or is the middle track the only option for terminating trains.

(B)now a 24/7 line Runs via Sea Beach terminates at 36 St/Atlantic Av-Barclays Center weekends/late nights

(D) As is

(F) as discussed running along 53 St

(M)as discussed running along 63 st and runs 24/7

(N)Brighton Express runs weekdays only

(Q)As is

(R) Runs late night shuttle pattern in weekends

(W)as is but 24/7 service

(1)as is but if necessary shorter frequencies to make room for (3)on weekends

(2)As is and higher frequencies

(3) Harlem-148 St - Flatbush Av Brooklyn College. Weekend service cut back to (1)South Ferry Station and shorter frequencies if needed

(4) Extended to New Lots Av at all times

(5) Rerouted to Crown Hts Utica Av weekdays. (May run on Future Utica Av line) Weekend/Late night service the same

Not going to focus on the IRT portion of things because they're honestly better off not being touched in my opinion. Anyway, there are other issues with this whole thing that needs to be addressed:

• (B) via Sea Beach, while I don't mind that one bit, having the (B) terminate at Atlantic wouldn't really be that bad of a thing, although riders along Sea Beach are definitely going to want to keep their direct access to Manhattan, same thing with West End.
  • Speaking of West End, (D) trains are going to have to run local along 4 Av to compensate for the (B) pretty much short turning. 
  • The (M) cannot run along 63 St while also being 24/7. It's better to have the (M) be replaced by the (F) during other times because the (M) is in simple terms a bonus line. The only other way to run the (M) outside of the Eastern Division 24/7 via 63 St is if all stations the (M) serves had increased in length.
  • The (R) and (W) are going to have issues trying to terminate at Whitehall St if that's the case. If your leaving the (W) running to Whitehall 24/7 while also having the (R) run late night service every other time, no train is going to be able to get in. Whitehall St is set up to basically short turn trains on both sides of the stations on the middle track, the outer tracks cannot be accessed at all and can only be used for through service. It's also in a way pretty dumb to leave the both the (R) and (W) terminating at the same station forcing riders to transfer over to another line either going into Brooklyn or continuing up Lower Broadway. It's also better to keep the (R) as the service along QBL with the two other different Manhattan trunk line locals. 

So this was an idea I thought up of with others on this thread a while back discussing how service could run de-interlined, more specifically a de-interlined B division service (this idea takes inspiration from Vanshnook as well).

B Division De-interlining plan:

• (A) Inwood-207 St to Rockaways/Lefferts Blvd [CPW/8 Av Exp, via Cranberry St, Fulton St Exp, via JFK Airport]
  • (C) Norwood-205 St to Euclid Av [Concourse Peak Exp, CPW/8 Av Exp, via Cranberry St, Fulton St Local]
  • (E) Jamaica Center to Coney Island [QBL Exp, via 53 St, 8 Av local, via Rutgers St, Culver Local]
  • (M) (Blue) 168 St to Metropolitan Av [CPW/8 Av Local, via Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn-Broadway Local,  Myrtle Av Local]
  • (B) Forest Hills-71 Av to Bay Ridge-95 St [QBL Local, via 63 St, 6 Av Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, 4 Av Exp/Local]
  • (D) 145 St/Bedford Park Blvd to Coney Island [Concourse Peak Local, CPW Local, 6 Av Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, 4 Av Exp, Sea Beach Local]
  • (F) Jamaica-179 St to Chambers St-WTC [QBL Exp, via 53 St, 6 Av Local]
  • (N) Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to Coney Island [Astoria Peak Exp, via 60 St, Broadway Local, via Montague St, 4 Av Local, West End Peak Exp]
  • (Q) 96 St-2 Av to Coney Island [2 Av Local, Broadway Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, Brighton Local]
  • (R) Forest Hills-71 Av to City Hall/Bay Parkway [QBL Local, via 60 St, Broadway Local, via Montague St, 4 Av Local, West End Local]
  • (W)(<Q>96 St-2 Av to Brighton Beach [2 Av Local, Broadway Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, Brighton Exp]

Here are some of how the changes would look like:

De-InterlinePlanPart1.pngDe-InterlinePlanPart3.pngDe-InterlinePlanPart4.pngDe-InterlinePlanPart5.png

I'm not sure how all these services would operate outside of rush hour and weekday. The only services I know for sure of how they will run is the following:

• (A) Late nights, replaces (C) trains in Brooklyn, runs express between Canal St and 145 St.
  • (C) stays the same, replaced by (A) trains with (D) trains extended to Norwood-205 St.
  • (E) Late nights, runs via 63 St and 6 Av (basically normal (F) service, but to Jamaica Center).
  • (B) Late Nights, runs local in Brooklyn and terminates at Whitehall St (basically runs Late night (R) service).
  • (D) Rush hours to Bedford Park Blvd, other times to 145 St. Late nights, replaces (C) trains to Norwood-205 St.
  • (F) Late nights, runs local in Queens and via 53 St (basically normal (E) service but to Jamaica-179 St).
  • (Q) Late nights, runs local in Manhattan.
  • (R) Late nights, no service.
  • (W) Late nights and weekends, no service.

The (M) is complicated and I'm not really too sure how to run it outside of weekday service. The (E) and (F) swapping is odd for sure, but there isn't any other way running service that isn't needed during late nights. I would've kept the (F) running local via 63 St, but that would be losing direct service to Queens Plaza and with the (E) running express, I had to swap them. The (B) is also complicated for weekend service, the only way I could think of running it would be to run to truncate it to 21 St-Queensbridge during weekends. At least that wouldn't complicate things further. The (D) replacing (C) trains during late nights is also odd, but it would basically run something like how the (4) would run during late nights which replaces (3) trains during those times so it's not that far of a stretch.

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So this was an idea I thought up of with others on this thread a while back discussing how service could run de-interlined, more specifically a de-interlined B division service (this idea takes inspiration from Vanshnook as well).

B Division De-interlining plan:

• (A) Inwood-207 St to Rockaways/Lefferts Blvd [CPW/8 Av Exp, via Cranberry St, Fulton St Exp, via JFK Airport]
  • (C) Norwood-205 St to Euclid Av [Concourse Peak Exp, CPW/8 Av Exp, via Cranberry St, Fulton St Local]
  • (E) Jamaica Center to Coney Island [QBL Exp, via 53 St, 8 Av local, via Rutgers St, Culver Local]
  • (M) (Blue) 168 St to Metropolitan Av [CPW/8 Av Local, via Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn-Broadway Local,  Myrtle Av Local]
  • (B) Forest Hills-71 Av to Bay Ridge-95 St [QBL Local, via 63 St, 6 Av Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, 4 Av Exp/Local]
  • (D) 145 St/Bedford Park Blvd to Coney Island [Concourse Peak Local, CPW Local, 6 Av Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, 4 Av Exp, Sea Beach Local]
  • (F) Jamaica-179 St to Chambers St-WTC [QBL Exp, via 53 St, 6 Av Local]
  • (N) Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to Coney Island [Astoria Peak Exp, via 60 St, Broadway Local, via Montague St, 4 Av Local, West End Peak Exp]
  • (Q) 96 St-2 Av to Coney Island [2 Av Local, Broadway Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, Brighton Local]
  • (R) Forest Hills-71 Av to City Hall/Bay Parkway [QBL Local, via 60 St, Broadway Local, via Montague St, 4 Av Local, West End Local]
  • (W)(<Q>96 St-2 Av to Brighton Beach [2 Av Local, Broadway Exp, via Manhattan Bridge, Brighton Exp]

De-InterlinePlanPart1.pngDe-InterlinePlanPart3.pngDe-InterlinePlanPart4.pngDe-InterlinePlanPart5.png

I'm not sure how all these services would operate outside of rush hour and weekday. The only services I know for sure of how they will run is the following:

• (A) Late nights, replaces (C) trains in Brooklyn, runs express between Canal St and 145 St.
  • (C) stays the same, replaced by (A) trains with (D) trains extended to Norwood-205 St.
  • (E) Late nights, runs via 63 St and 6 Av (basically normal (F) service, but to Jamaica Center).
  • (B) Late Nights, runs local in Brooklyn and terminates at Whitehall St (basically runs Late night (R) service).
  • (D) Rush hours to Bedford Park Blvd, other times to 145 St. Late nights, replaces (C) trains to Norwood-205 St.
  • (F) Late nights, runs local in Queens and via 53 St (basically normal (E) service but to Jamaica-179 St).
  • (Q) Late nights, runs local in Manhattan.
  • (R) Late nights, no service.
  • (W) Late nights and weekends, no service.

The (M) is complicated and I'm not really too sure how to run it outside of weekday service. The (E) and (F) swapping is odd for sure, but there isn't any other way running service that isn't needed during late nights. I would've kept the (F) running local via 63 St, but that would be losing direct service to Queens Plaza and with the (E) running express, I had to swap them. The (B) is also complicated for weekend service, the only way I could think of running it would be to run to truncate it to 21 St-Queensbridge during weekends. At least that wouldn't complicate things further. The (D) replacing (C) trains during late nights is also odd, but it would basically run something like how the (4) would run during late nights which replaces (3) trains during those times so it's not that far of a stretch.

Vulturious, 

I do have to say that your plan seems to check all the boxes as far as limiting the number of merges, providing means for increasing service, and providing a means for most trips that are currently available to stay available.  You eliminate the merging conflicts in the DeKalb area, clean up the (N) merge along the Broadway line.  While some merging still exists along CPW, it only affects the CPW local.  The Canal st merge on the 8th Ave line is eliminated. 

You also have employed vanshnook's idea of routing the 4th Ave local to the West End line and bringing the 6th Ave expresses to Bay Ridge and Sea Beach.  This cleans up the merges along the 4th Ave line.  It should certainly be noted that a small downside is that West End riders lose their direct access to the Bridge (basically express trains to Midtown that save a ton of time by skipping Downtown Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan), but it is somewhat necessary in order to clean up the merges in this area.  It should also be noted that routing (B) trains to Bay Ridge do require the addition of a new switch, which vanshnook talks about and which you have shown in your pictures.

Let's rethink the off-peak services for a minute:

(A) 24/7.  [A] will service the stops between 145th and 168th nights and weekends.  [A] will also run local in Brooklyn late nights.  I also like using (H) to differentiate Lefferts from Rockaway services, but that isn't critical to the discussion of your plan.  [H] would be an [A] in every other way, except its southern destination.

(C) As you've stated, runs all times except late nights.  [A] will replace [C] during those hours, with [D] handling the Bronx segment during late nights.

(E) 24/7.  You have presented a bit of a conundrum in your descritpion of late night service patterns.  I don't think it is wise to have a regular switch where [E] runs on 8th Ave all times except late night and [F] runs on 6th Ave all times execpt late night.  It is too confusing.  People expect blue trains on 8th and orange trains on 6th.  Let's see if we can do something else to keep it consistent.  Let's start [E] at 179th and [F] at Jamaica Center.  During normal hours, [F] will be express between Briarwood and Forest Hills, while [E] runs local, and yes some rush hour [F] trains will run express to 179th in a similar fashion to today's <E> .  During normal hours, both [E] and [F] will run express on QBL, through 53rd, with [E] onto 8th Ave local and eventually to Culver line and [F] onto 6th Ave local and eventually to WTC.  During late night hours, [F] will run express along QBL and 63rd, but [E] will run local along QBL and 53rd and Culver.  So in my mind, it seems that the solution is just to flip the eastern terminus of both lines, [E] 179th to Coney Island via 8th Ave local and Culver and [F] Jamaica Center to WTC via 6th Ave local.  This is today's service, except that we switch the middle portion (and the naming). 

(M) BLUE. [M] should run to 168th on weekdays.  [M] should run to Chambers nights and weekends.  [M] shuttle to Myrtle/Broadway late nights.  When [M] runs to Chambers, it should be only one extra transfer for [M] passengers to complete their normal trips, below 145th.  They can transfer to [E] at Essex to continue on the 8th Ave local and a new transfer at Bowery to Grand will allow [M] passengers to transfer to [D] for trips along CPW. 

(B) All times except late nights.  Late night service to Whitehall may be the only way to adequately serve Bay Ridge at night.  I don't like orange train on the Broadway route, but I think the unique nature of the service will still be OK.  Obviously, any Bay Ridge passenger during late nights can transfer to [D] for Bridge and 6th Ave service and the Queens portion o this line will be handled by [F] for services along 63rd and [E] for QBL local service.  Transfer from [D] to [F] can occur all along the 6th Ave line and transfers from [D] to [E] can occur at Broadway-Laffayette, W4th, or 7th Ave/53rd.  I do think  that the full length from Forest Hills to Bay Ridge does need to run on weekends.

(D) 24/7.  The northern terminal will change based on the timeframe.  Bedford Park Blvd during rush hours, 145th during mid-day and weekend.  Norwood during late nights when the [C] isn't running.

(F) 24/7.  See discussion for [E] train for details.

(N) 24/7.  Astoria- Broadway local - 4th Ave local - West End local.  I am thinking that the Astoria exp you mentioned was an error, as I don't see any other train handling Astoria local.  I also think it would be better for [N] to be the West End local, since it is a 24/7 route.  [N] should always run to Coney Island, since CI Yard is the only yard serving this route.

(Q) 24/7.  2nd - Broadway express - Brighton local.

(R) No late night service.  QBL local - 60th - Broadway local - 4th Ave local - West End (rush hour) express.  [R] has acces to the Jamaica Yard, so running [R] to either 9th Ave or Bay Parkway for rush hour should be fine.  It would seem easier to run the West End express from Bay Parkway, to avoid merges with [N].

<Q> As this is identical to [Q] except for the rush hour express along Brighton line, let's call this Q-diamond.  This will allow all letters [T] through [Y] for future services.  To some extent, if [K] remains unused, on a nomenclature basis it would make sense to rename [Z] to [K] which would allow J, K, L, and M to represent the BMT Eastern Division services and then allow [Z] for future services as well, but this nomenclature change isn't critical for discussion of your plan.

Apologize for the bolding above, that was inadvertent.  Also, a further note about night/weekend (M) service to Chambers.  Under this arrangement, (M) passengers will be able to access most of Manhattan below 125th with only one transfer.

At Essex, a transfer to (E) which has access to 8th Ave and 53rd.

At Bowery, a NEW transfer to (B)(D) for access to 6th Ave express stations, 63rd st line, and CPW local stations.  Only 6th/14th and 6th/23rd are not accessible with one transfer.

At Canal, a transfer to (N)(Q)(R)(6) for access to Lexington Ave stations, and all Broadway stations.

At Chambers, access to (4)(5)(6) to also allow for access to the Lexington Ave express.

To reach the Financial District, there is access to (4)(5) at Chambers, (J) at every Manhattan stop, and (N)(R) at Canal.

For the most part, the missing Manhattan stations that are only accessed via (A)(C)(1)(2)(3)(F) are generally walkable from one of the other lines.  The furthest ones are the (1)(2)(3) stations north of 66th, Hudson Yards, the Tribeca and West Village area, and the stations along (L) other than 8th/14th and Union Square.

Referring back to my earlier post.

My service plan comment to Vulturious's post from three posts ago had the folllowing for the trains servicing CPW:

(A) Inwood-207 to Lefferts OR Rockaways.  8th Ave express-Fulton express.  24/7.  Late nights local in Brooklyn.  Nights and weekends servicing stops between 145th and 168th.

(C) Norwood-205 to Euclid.  Concourse express during rush hour.  8th Ave express-Fulton local.  All times except late nights.

[M] 168th to Metropolitan Ave.  8th Ave local.  Weekdays. [Nights and weekends [M] will go to Chambers instead.]

(D) Bedford Park Blvd to Bay Ridge.  CPW local and 6th Ave express.  Rush hour service to BPB.  Weekday and weekend service to 145th.  Late Night service to Norwood-205 to replace (C) .  

While the above is pretty good, I do think that the following alternative may also be considered.  The alternative will be more in line with the service plan that now exists, at least with respect to CPW.  Inwood trains will run express on CPW, except late nights.  A local service will run to 168th at all times except late nights.  The Concourse will have one service at all times except rush hour, but that service will service every Bronx stop, but run express on CPW, even late nights.  The second Concourse service will run local during rush hour, and will not run at all at other times.  That second service may run to 145th, or may not run at all, if there is sufficient local service running to 168th to take its place.  At least one 8th Ave service and one 6th Ave service will operate even during late nights.

With that in mind, I present the following:

(A) Inwood-207 to Lefferts OR Rockaways.  CPW express-8th Ave express-Fulton express.  All times except late nights.

(C) Norwood-205 to Euclid.  Concourse express during rush hour.   CPW express-8th Ave express-Fulton local.  Late nights, (C) service will be extended to service Lefferts and Far Rockaway.  (C) will run express along CPW and 8th Ave at all times.

[M]  Rush hours: Bedford Park Blvd - Metoropolitan via Concourse-CPW-8th Ave local.  Weekday mid-day: 145th-Metropolitan via CPW-8th Ave local.  Night/weekend: Chambers - Metropolitan via Centre St BMT subway.  Late nights Myrtle/Broadway - Metropolitan shuttle.

(B) 168th to Coney Island.  CPW Local-6 Av Exp-4 Av Exp-Sea Beach Local.  (B) will run 24/7, but late nights it will be extended to Inwood-207.

The above changes mean that now (D) will run to Forest Hills, as follows:

(D) Forest Hills to Bay Ridge.  QBL local - 63rd - 6th Ave express - 4th Ave express.  All times except late nights.  Late nights Whitehall-Bay Ridge via 4th Ave local.

Future De-interlining Proposal

Second Avenue Subway

(Q) (T)Crosstown via 125 st. Terminating at 125/St Nicholas 

(T) Phase 4 is scrapped and replaced by new tracks that will interline the Chrystie St Connection with the Downtown Nassau Line

I propose after Houston St the (T)makes (J)stops Between Bowery and Broad St then use the Montague Tunnel where it will then run via Sea Beach line

where as the (N)runs Brighton Express while the (B)runs to Bay Ridge

(R) terminates at Whitehall St with (W)

8 hours ago, subwaykid256 said:

Future De-interlining Proposal

Second Avenue Subway

(Q) (T)Crosstown via 125 st. Terminating at 125/St Nicholas 

(T) Phase 4 is scrapped and replaced by new tracks that will interline the Chrystie St Connection with the Downtown Nassau Line

I propose after Houston St the (T)makes (J)stops Between Bowery and Broad St then use the Montague Tunnel where it will then run via Sea Beach line

where as the (N)runs Brighton Express while the (B)runs to Bay Ridge

(R) terminates at Whitehall St with (W)

While the idea of a (T) going to South Brooklyn isn't a bad idea and I do love the Crosstown 125 St service, I don't think this plan is all too good in terms of execution, let's start off with the benefits. Having the (T) run along the Nassau St line has been proposed before, it's at least allows for more transfers to other services compared to it's 4th phase. You have a full transfer connection to all of Lexington Av at Chambers St station, a transfer to all of Broadway service at Canal St, as well as a connection to both the (A)(C) and (2)(3) at Fulton St with another transfer to the (4)(5). Another benefit is Nassau St has a direct service to run to Midtown as well as uptown services that runs along the east side of Manhattan, this is really big and adds redundancy.

Although now comes the more questionable and downside part of the whole proposal. Starting off with the downside, with Phase 4 gone, that also means Grand St loses that direct transfer to the SAS. It is probably not that big of a lose since most people that take the (B) and (D) wanting service along the east side would usually just transfer over to the (6) anyway or transfer to the (Q). Another downside is there is still interlining involved here. The only way for the (B) from what I'm seeing to get to Bay Ridge is for it to switch to the local tracks along 4 Av either still stopping at Dekalb Av, skipping that stop but switching at 36 St, or at 59 St. If (B) trains are still stopping at Dekalb Av, that would mean interfering with the (N)(Q) and (T). The (B)(N)(Q) would have to stop on the same tracks at Dekalb so that's a no go. (B) trains would have to continue to 36 St, however that is also a no go because what is running express south of 36 St? Only other area is 59 St, but you end up having direct crossovers between both the (B) and (T) because the (B) would still be running express with the (T) local. 

This is questionable as something isn't being solved here, 4 Av is still a line that would be affected with interlining. The other questionable and downside thing is the (R) and (W), I've said this before on one of your recent posts and I guess I'll have to say it again here, how are the (R) and (W) going to terminating together? There is only one track for trains to terminate at Whitehall St. One could say you can simply add a switch, but then what is solving the dilemma with the (W)? Currently, both the (N) and (W) swap crews which allows for (W) trains access to Coney Island Yard. I highly doubt Jamaica can handle having to deal with another line since there is already another line that Jamaica is dealing with, that being the (G) now. 

All in all, I don't think much is being solved here, I definitely don't think the system is de-interlined either. The idea in general isn't bad, but the execution of how this being done is definitely not going to make it any easier to run the system.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, mrsman said:

(D) 24/7.  The northern terminal will change based on the timeframe.  Bedford Park Blvd during rush hours, 145th during mid-day and weekend.  Norwood during late nights when the [C] isn't running.

I don't the (D) should change terminals based off the time. That should be the (C). Being that the (C)'s frequency is lower than the (D)'s, it wouldn't be logical to have the (C) to the Bronx all times.

10 hours ago, Vulturious said:

While the idea of a (T) going to South Brooklyn isn't a bad idea and I do love the Crosstown 125 St service, I don't think this plan is all too good in terms of execution, let's start off with the benefits. Having the (T) run along the Nassau St line has been proposed before, it's at least allows for more transfers to other services compared to it's 4th phase. You have a full transfer connection to all of Lexington Av at Chambers St station, a transfer to all of Broadway service at Canal St, as well as a connection to both the (A)(C) and (2)(3) at Fulton St with another transfer to the (4)(5). Another benefit is Nassau St has a direct service to run to Midtown as well as uptown services that runs along the east side of Manhattan, this is really big and adds redundancy.

Although now comes the more questionable and downside part of the whole proposal. Starting off with the downside, with Phase 4 gone, that also means Grand St loses that direct transfer to the SAS. It is probably not that big of a lose since most people that take the (B) and (D) wanting service along the east side would usually just transfer over to the (6) anyway or transfer to the (Q). Another downside is there is still interlining involved here. The only way for the (B) from what I'm seeing to get to Bay Ridge is for it to switch to the local tracks along 4 Av either still stopping at Dekalb Av, skipping that stop but switching at 36 St, or at 59 St. If (B) trains are still stopping at Dekalb Av, that would mean interfering with the (N)(Q) and (T). The (B)(N)(Q) would have to stop on the same tracks at Dekalb so that's a no go. (B) trains would have to continue to 36 St, however that is also a no go because what is running express south of 36 St? Only other area is 59 St, but you end up having direct crossovers between both the (B) and (T) because the (B) would still be running express with the (T) local. 

This is questionable as something isn't being solved here, 4 Av is still a line that would be affected with interlining. The other questionable and downside thing is the (R) and (W), I've said this before on one of your recent posts and I guess I'll have to say it again here, how are the (R) and (W) going to terminating together? There is only one track for trains to terminate at Whitehall St. One could say you can simply add a switch, but then what is solving the dilemma with the (W)? Currently, both the (N) and (W) swap crews which allows for (W) trains access to Coney Island Yard. I highly doubt Jamaica can handle having to deal with another line since there is already another line that Jamaica is dealing with, that being the (G) now. 

All in all, I don't think much is being solved here, I definitely don't think the system is de-interlined either. The idea in general isn't bad, but the execution of how this being done is definitely not going to make it any easier to run the system.

Maybe in this case, you might run a variant of the Vanshnook plan with the (B) to/from Bay Ridge (local to 36th; express 36th to Atlantic/Pacific), the (D) via the Sea Beach Line and the (T) as the 4th Ave local via the West End Line with a peak direction <T> express between Bay Pkwy and 9th Ave. You’d then terminate just the (R) at Whitehall and eliminate the (W) entirely.

Personally, I’m not really a fan of extending the (T) to South Brooklyn because it would require either duplicating or replacing the existing (B)(D)(N)(Q) or (R) services in South Brooklyn. But is there any kind of real advantage in the (T) replacing any one of those five services?

On 4/10/2022 at 3:41 AM, Vulturious said:

(proposal)

(maps)

(proposal)

I honestly think this entire service plan overall is complicated. What advantage is there in the (B) going to Forest Hills over the (M)? Why have an ( M ) via 8th Ave to/from 168th and Broadway?

On 4/10/2022 at 7:53 PM, mrsman said:

Referring back to my earlier post.

My service plan comment to Vulturious's post from three posts ago had the folllowing for the trains servicing CPW:

(proposal)

While the above is pretty good, I do think that the following alternative may also be considered.  The alternative will be more in line with the service plan that now exists, at least with respect to CPW.  Inwood trains will run express on CPW, except late nights.  A local service will run to 168th at all times except late nights.  The Concourse will have one service at all times except rush hour, but that service will service every Bronx stop, but run express on CPW, even late nights.  The second Concourse service will run local during rush hour, and will not run at all at other times.  That second service may run to 145th, or may not run at all, if there is sufficient local service running to 168th to take its place.  At least one 8th Ave service and one 6th Ave service will operate even during late nights.

With that in mind, I present the following:

(proposal)

I personally am not a fan of any proposal that reroutes the (B) or (D) to Forest Hills or has the (N) return to being a full time Broadway local train. I just don’t see how any of these would be an improvement over the current services in Queens or the current (R) Broadway Local.

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I honestly think this entire service plan overall is complicated. What advantage is there in the (B) going to Forest Hills over the (M)? Why have an ( M ) via 8th Ave to/from 168th and Broadway?

The fact the (B) already has full length service compared to the (M), it also runs express in both Manhattan and in Brooklyn. The M's job currently is really just to help riders go from Brooklyn-Broadway and Myrtle Av going uptown as well as riders from QBL into Manhattan. The (B) wouldn't have an issue handling all of the M's riders and riders from Brooklyn-Broadway and Myrtle Av still have a direct access heading uptown, but this time via 8 Av and to CPW still doing that job. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, Vulturious said:

While the idea of a (T) going to South Brooklyn isn't a bad idea and I do love the Crosstown 125 St service, I don't think this plan is all too good in terms of execution, let's start off with the benefits. Having the (T) run along the Nassau St line has been proposed. Dekalb so that's a no go. (B) trains would have to continue to 36 St, however that is also a no go because what is running express south of 36 St? Only other area is 59 St, but you end up having direct crossovers between both the (B) and (T) because the (B) would still be running express with the (T) local. This is questionable as something isn't being solved here, 4 Av is still a line that would be affected with interlining. The other questionable and downside thing is the (R) and (W), I've said this before on one of your recent posts and I guess I'll have to say it again here, how are the (R) and (W) going to terminating together? There is only one track for trains to terminate at Whitehall St. One could say you can simply add a switch, but then what is solving the dilemma with the (W)? Currently, both the (N) and (W) swap crews which allows for (W) trains access to Coney Island Yard. I highly doubt Jamaica can handle having to deal with another line since there is already another line that Jamaica is dealing with, that being the (G) now. All in all, I don't think much is being solved here, I definitely don't think the system is de-interlined either. The idea in general isn't bad, but the execution of how this being done is definitely not going to make it any easier to run the system.

Okay then so how about Building a Transfer Between Bowery & Grand St to make up for the lost cross transfer. And if having the (T)run to Brooklyn would be too difficult how about for Phase 4 the (T)simply just terminates at Broad St with the (J)(Z)lines. I also had an idea to have a Teal M line after Phase 3 as well but the current M is popular

2 hours ago, subwaykid256 said:

Okay then so how about Building a Transfer Between Bowery & Grand St to make up for the lost cross transfer. And if having the (T)run to Brooklyn would be too difficult how about for Phase 4 the (T)simply just terminates at Broad St with the (J)(Z)lines. I also had an idea to have a Teal M line after Phase 3 as well but the current M is popular

I never said it would be too difficult, it's just how the execution of it is. You could end up having the (T) run to Bay Ridge instead, although that would lead no yard being an issue. If you wanted to have the (T) run to Coney, it would be better to run it via West End using Vanshnook's proposal of new switches north of 45 St. 

Bowery and Grand St are close enough, with the (T) running through Nassau St that should give the MTA more incentive to create a new transfer point that in my opinion has been kind of needed.

I think the creation of the (M67) wouldn't be a bad idea, even if the current (M) is popular. The reason being is that the (M) for a long time been a flexible line that gave direct access to areas that hasn't had access before. It probably won't be that much of an issue rerouting it via SAS because riders would still have direct service heading into Midtown from Williamsburg, the only issue is not having that flexible connection to other lines compared to the (M).

12 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I never said it would be too difficult, it's just how the execution of it is. You could end up having the (T) run to Bay Ridge instead, although that would lead no yard being an issue. If you wanted to have the (T) run to Coney, it would be better to run it via West End using Vanshnook's proposal of new switches north of 45 St. 

Bowery and Grand St are close enough, with the (T) running through Nassau St that should give the MTA more incentive to create a new transfer point that in my opinion has been kind of needed.

I think the creation of the (M67) wouldn't be a bad idea, even if the current (M) is popular. The reason being is that the (M) for a long time been a flexible line that gave direct access to areas that hasn't had access before. It probably won't be that much of an issue rerouting it via SAS because riders would still have direct service heading into Midtown from Williamsburg, the only issue is not having that flexible connection to other lines compared to the (M).

I think the (M67) would work well for riders who are headed to/from East Midtown. And it can serve as a secondary SAS  service. I suggested having the (M67) continue into Queens via 63rd a couple years back in this thread, but it would be better to run it local like the current (M) because of its shorter trains. Or else lengthen Eastern Division platforms to fit 10-car trains. Which you’d have to do anyway if you want to run (T) trains via the (J) line in Lower Manhattan.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:46 PM, Vulturious said:

The fact the (B) already has full length service compared to the (M), it also runs express in both Manhattan and in Brooklyn. The M's job currently is really just to help riders go from Brooklyn-Broadway and Myrtle Av going uptown as well as riders from QBL into Manhattan. The (B) wouldn't have an issue handling all of the M's riders and riders from Brooklyn-Broadway and Myrtle Av still have a direct access heading uptown, but this time via 8 Av and to CPW still doing that job. 

I get your point about the (M)‘s shorter trains being an issue on QBL as a reason to substitute the (B)  there. Though because the (M) is local and weekdays-only, it’s not quite as much of a problem as it would be if it were a QBL express. I suppose running the M via 8th/CPW local wouldn’t be much different than the current (C) (although the (C) runs trains of various length depending on whether it’s R46s or R179s, which isn’t a good thing).

So I originally proposed to have the (T)run to WillyBrg. But then idk how much space it would take up from the (J)(M)(Z). So I prefer the Nassau St route. 

I also proposed a Flushing Av Line for the (T)

Jackson Hts - Roosevelt Av/74 St(E)(F)(M)(R)(7)

Queens Blvd/74 St

Maurice-Calamus Avs/69 St

Grand Av/69 St

Fresh Pond Rd/Flushing Av

Metropolitan Av/Flushing Av

Wyckoff Av/Flushing Av (L)

Wilson - Knickerbocker Avs/Flushing Av 

Broadway - Bushwick Av/Flushing Av (J)(M)

Nostrand  - Marcy Avs (G) (Flushing Av)

Bedford Av/Flushing Av

Classon Av/ Flushing Av

Clinton - Washington Avs/Flushing Av

Gold - Navy Sts/Flushing Av

Tillary St (intersection between Adams & Jay Sts)(A)(C)(F)(R) with OMNY

Henry St/Pierrepont St (R)(2)(3)(4)(5) with OMNY

connects to Montague St tunnel where (T)makes (J)(Z)stops from Broad St-Bowery then connects to SAS

Speaking of the (J)(Z)I propose making them two separate lines. Maybe even making the (Z)teal so the (M)can remain as is.

So heres my idea after Broadway Junction I propose an El consisting of three tracks and four new local stations to be built on Jamaica Av where the (J)will take over 

Bushwick - Pennsylvania Avs/ Jamaica Av

Van Siclen Av/Jamaica Av

Ridgewood Av/Jamaica Av

Highland Blvd/Jamaica Av

Afterwards The (J)connects to Cypress Hills and resume service to Jamaica Center

As for the (Z)it will make all stops between Broadway Junction and Crescent St. But instead of merging with the (J)i also propose another three Track El via Fulton St-91 Av then via Rockaway Blvd to terminate at Cross Bay-Woodhaven Blvds with a transfer to the (A)

Eldert Lane/Fulton St-91 Av

Atlantic Av/Rockaway Blvd Proposal for new LIRR Station

101 Av/Rockaway Blvd

Ozone Park - Woodhaven - Cross Bay Blvd (A)

I propose only using Crescent St railing for reroutes and GO's

Edited by subwaykid256
editing proposals