LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Phew. I was nervous that they were already calling the 4/18 group. Thanku for clarification. It's a good sign that they're still sending emails for 3/28.

As far as study info goes. I'll take my chances with the material I have as well. It's directly from LIRR.

Good luck to you all.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys

First off, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted here. Some great insight and info. Really appreciate it as well as all the advice. I was invited to the class on the 18th, I know a lot of studying is to follow. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give any info on what follows after...specifically, the drawing of the station that is involved. That part has me really worried. Any insights? also, if you get the job, trying to get to certain stations-what do you feel is the best way to get there? Meaning, if you have to get to green port in the morning, say coming off a night shift, would the train be the best way? I don't have a car, and I am wondering how much of a problem this will be. Thanks again for any info you can give. 

congrats! you are correct, a lot of studying or maybe the most studying you'll do. don't worry about PC. You'll have time to study to qualify after you get through probation. Right now just do your best to pass AC class. Once you're out, there's a good chance you will be sent anywhere from Penn to montauk of greenport. that's is why they require you to have a license and a reliable car. as to whether to drive or DH on a train, you'll have to look at the schedule. Good luck!

Ok, thanks for this. So basically, they can call you for whatever shift they need you for, on a day to day basis? I know about the 8 hrs in between the shifts, but you will not know your schedule on a weekly basis?

Correct! Crew dispatch calls you daily 3 hours before you are supposed to report for shift wherever. Whole 1st year of probation is like a on call bitch. Lol. You have to put in work and do your time but the payout is good for the sacrifices you make.

Hey Iron horse, one other quick question, where does your shift end? At the station you originated from or the one where it ends? Again, thank you for taking the time out to answer these questions.

you finish where you start

is that a regular practice? Thank you for this btw.

The 1st year,..the hours are crazy - prepare to be all over the map whenever they want you. you don't get a regular gig,..you "work the list" after probation ends, you get a regular shift but you'll be at the bottom of the list for seniority.

and its my pleasure, its a good place to help each other out with info. i wish everyone the best of luck.

Edited by Cappi10

Correct! Crew dispatch calls you daily 3 hours before you are supposed to report for shift wherever. Whole 1st year of probation is like a on call bitch. Lol. You have to put in work and do your time but the payout is good for the sacrifices you make.

Like i said before you can forgot about having a normal life or planning anything unless it is your day off. they call you when ever they feel after 8hr and its best to have a car as back up but you can also take the train.

Hey Member/Cappi, I just wanted to say thank you for these insights. Much appreciated, and If I am lucky/smart enough to get that far, I look forward to serving with you. If the place is filled with guys like you, it must make going to work a very decent experience.

BrianJames- hopefully we are all good enough to get in the door. I'm just waiting on a call back for the S&D overview. But I have friends in several departments for 15-20 years each and all started as AC positions. I went through this process 17 years ago. And been applying the last 3 years non stop. Finally got called back for the Feb open house. All the best buddy.

Hey Cappi, Ironhorse,

any call yet? still waiting on this end, looking at April now as next date. Hopefully soon, the suspense is killing me. Its bizarre how much things change in a three year span, last time they called me within a week. weird...

Nothing yet. After no call last week I knew March was out. I was hoping for April all along but it's still nerve racking. I think this was a mass hiring session. So the 3 overview groups are coming from 4 open house sessions. The class will be August/September for anyone passing the S&D test and background after that. So it's just a big waiting game. I will definitely post in here IF I hear anything. You guys please do the same. Appreciate it.

Nothing yet. After no call last week I knew March was out. I was hoping for April all along but it's still nerve racking. I think this was a mass hiring session. So the 3 overview groups are coming from 4 open house sessions. The class will be August/September for anyone passing the S&D test and background after that. So it's just a big waiting game. I will definitely post in here IF I hear anything. You guys please do the same. Appreciate it.

Definitely, will be greatly appreciated.  All the best of luck guys!

BrianJames- hopefully we are all good enough to get in the door. I'm just waiting on a call back for the S&D overview. But I have friends in several departments for 15-20 years each and all started as AC positions. I went through this process 17 years ago. And been applying the last 3 years non stop. Finally got called back for the Feb open house. All the best buddy.

I guess you're no spring chicken Cappi. Haha. I'm 38 and trying to retire from retail management. I come from a railroad family but didn't make a move when I was young. One question though.....i know overtime is advertised as normal. People make big extras from it, but do they ask newbies during your 1st year of work/probation? And does your 11 week of paid training count as probation period or does it start after completion of it. Thanks in advance.

I guess you're no spring chicken Cappi. Haha. I'm 38 and trying to retire from retail management. I come from a railroad family but didn't make a move when I was young. One question though.....i know overtime is advertised as normal. People make big extras from it, but do they ask newbies during your 1st year of work/probation? And does your 11 week of paid training count as probation period or does it start after completion of it. Thanks in advance.

Im 42, no spring chicken, lol - but still got some gas left in the tank. Im with Cablevision 23 years now and with the new ownership in place there is a lot of crazy changes going on so this was a very welcomed call.

As far as OT goes, I know there is plenty available, even out of the gate. Im not sure of specifics but I will inquire and report back. Same with your other questions, i'll see what I can find out on those fronts.

After you make it past the program they ask you do you want to work your relief days if you say yes you work relief days if you say no you have to wait about 6 months for the opportunity again...its not always guaranteed but if they need you you will work and your probation starts as soon as class starts

After you make it past the program they ask you do you want to work your relief days if you say yes you work relief days if you say no you have to wait about 6 months for the opportunity again...its not always guaranteed but if they need you you will work and your probation starts as soon as class starts

Thank you for posting this!!

I was also just told that some jobs that you're on while working the list might have some OT built in them or things happen on a job that also give you OT.

Thank you for posting this!!

I was also just told that some jobs that you're on while working the list might have some OT built in them or things happen on a job that also give you OT.

Yup there will be good days with ot and there will be bad days with ot. Just gotta suck it up and look at the bigger picture and be grateful you have this job Edited by Member2016

The 1st year,..the hours are crazy - prepare to be all over the map whenever they want you. you don't get a regular gig,..you "work the list" after probation ends, you get a regular shift but you'll be at the bottom of the list for seniority.

and its my pleasure, its a good place to help each other out with info. i wish everyone the best of luck.

The first year depends on when you graduate.  If you come out during the summer, its not that bad.  You'll be able to hit nice jobs and do pretty much what you want.  If you come out in the winter, then you will "hang" probably 3 of the 5 days per week and wish that you were back at your old job.  Not fun.  

Also there are a bunch of probationary conductors that are in their first year and have owned the same job since December.  It does happen.  

Hey Iron horse, one other quick question, where does your shift end? At the station you originated from or the one where it ends? Again, thank you for taking the time out to answer these questions.

This depends on the job.  most jobs finish where you start, but some jobs don't.  There are jobs that allocate "deadhead" time at the end so that you can officially finish where you started, but you don't need to physically go all the way back (if that makes any sense).  Contractually, you are paid back to the terminal where you started.