March 7 Bee Line Bus Route & Service Changes

Unlike other service change periods, Bee-Line decided to not post specifics on what trips were being changed in the schedule. After looking at the schedules in comparison with the fall schedule, I understood why that was the case, since they would always post the addition of specific trips other modifications.The Bee-Line brochure only states:

To improve operating efficiencies, on-time performance and cost-effectiveness, service adjustments and schedule changes will be made to the following Bee-Line route

There's a lot of service changes, so I compiled a list of service changes that will go into effect March 7 for you guys. There's only one minor increase in service on one route (the 2), and 20 routes seeing service cuts (some more than others). There are also 2 route changes (BxM4C and 6). In terms of percentage and quantity of service cut, Loop B got it the worst.

2:

Weekday trip in the morning added leaving Yonkers at 4:58 AM 

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte2Spring2016.pdf

6:

Uniontown variation discontinued. All trips run via N Broadway at all times

6:20 PM trip from Yonkers on Saturdays discontinued

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte6Spr16Rev.pdf

8:

Weekday 2:38 PM and 2:45 PM School trips from Tuckahoe consolidated into a 2:42 PM bus to Valentine Ln

Sunday Headways increased from 35/40 minutes to 60 minutes during daytime until 5-6 PM, then 90 minutes

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte8Spring2016.pdf

9:

The 5:10 PM Yonkers Loop trip has been discontinued (last bus of the day now at 3:55 PM)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte9Spring2016.pdf

12:

Midday Service headways increased from 60 minutes to 120 minutes

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte12Spring2016.pdf

19: 

6:45 PM and 7:20 PM trips from Ossning discontinued (last bus now 5:30 PM)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte19Spring2016.pdf

30:

6:10 PM from Yonkers and 6:40 PM from Bronxville on Saturdays discontinued (last buses now 1 hour earlier)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte30Spring2016.pdf

34/38/39:

8:02 AM to Hartsdale Metro North and 7:16 PM from Hartsdale Metro North discontinued (34)

5:51 AM to Hartsdale Metro North and 5:09 PM from Hartsdale Metro North discontinued (38)

8:43 PM from Hartsdale Metro North discontinued (39)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte34_38_39_Spring2016.pdf

60/61/62:

Schedule Changes on weekdays (relatively minor)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Spr2016Rte606162Revised.pdf

64:

8:24 AM, 8:46 AM, 4:46 PM, 5:06 PM Scarsdale Loop trips discontinued

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte64_65Spring2016.pdf

70:

8:30 AM, 7:01 PM Bonnie Briar Commuter discontinued

3:10 PM school trips from Hammocks Road now leaves at 3:07 PM

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Spr2016Rte7071Rev.pdf

71:

8:14 AM, 8:38 AM, 5:08 PM, 5:32 PM Larchmont Manor Commuter discontinued

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Spr2016Rte7071Rev.pdf

78:

12:30 AM trip from Yonkers discontinued (last bus now at 11:40 PM)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Rte78Spring2016.pdf

Loop A:

7:31 AM, 9:17 AM trips from White Plains discontinued

2:52 PM trip to White Plains discontinued

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Spr16LoopsSpringRev.pdf

Loop B:

6:43 AM, 7:23 AM, 7:45 AM, 9:04 AM, 9:17 AM trips from White Plains discontinued

8:02 AM and 8:12 AM trips from White Plains consolidated into an 8:07 AM trip

4:21 PM, 4:46 PM, 5:35 PM, 6:17 PM trips to White Plains discontinued

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Spr16LoopsSpringRev.pdf

Loop C:

6:58 AM trip from White Plains discontinued

Loop D:

8:52 AM trip from White Plains discontinued

3:22 PM, 4:06 PM, 4:43 PM, 5:58 PM, 6:16 PM trips to White Plains discontinued

3:48 PM trip to White Plains moved up 6 minutes

Loop F:

9:48 AM trip from White Plains discontinued

Loop H:

6:58 AM, 8:12 AM trips from White Plains discontinued

BxM4C: 

All super express trips (AM only) now make all stops

12:00 PM to White Plains now departs 29 Street at 12:30 PM.

Service at height of PM rush every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minutes (lol at how little attempt they made to not note the reduction)

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/Spr2016BxM4CREV.pdf

Real Quick:

- Matter of time with the 6u...

- Keep it up, and 12 service is going to resemble 15 service....

- Although I hate to admit it, Bee Line does provide a bit too much service on their commuter & their loop routes (generally speaking)....

- They could cut even more trips on Loop B if they have Loop A extended up to Bryant av to serve the post office (to still have its last stop at the medical center).... Loop B service would resemble Loop H service have that happen....

Loop D, Loop B (sans serving the post office), Loop F, and Loop H should all have the same service levels......

Loop C service I'd say it's justified....

It is Loop A that should have the grunt of the service out of all 6 loops... esp. if it serves the post office....

- What's with the font change on the timetables of the altered timepoints? That looks unprofessional as hell....

Real Quick:

- Matter of time with the 6u...

- Keep it up, and 12 service is going to resemble 15 service....

- Although I hate to admit it, Bee Line does provide a bit too much service on their commuter & their loop routes (generally speaking)....

- They could cut even more trips on Loop B if they have Loop A extended up to Bryant av to serve the post office (to still have its last stop at the medical center).... Loop B service would resemble Loop H service have that happen....

Loop D, Loop B (sans serving the post office), Loop F, and Loop H should all have the same service levels......

Loop C service I'd say it's justified....

It is Loop A that should have the grunt of the service out of all 6 loops... esp. if it serves the post office....

- What's with the font change on the timetables of the altered timepoints? That looks unprofessional as hell....

I'll agree with Bee-Line overserving its commuter routes. For example, the 34/38 share a lot of routing together, and leave/arrive together at Hartsdale, leading to (emptier) buses than it should be (the buses don't have much ridership to begin with anyways). IDK about this, but I feel that the 34 should be eliminated, while keeping the 38 and 39. I think most people in the area of Elmsford are taking any of the White Plains buses on Route 119, and catching an express train from White Plains. Both stations are in the same fare zone, so I don't see the need to shuttle riders to a "local" station. 

ok, Bee-Line is decent but it could use a few shakeups in slight route changes, service changes, and where to send artics and where not to.

First things first, THE 2 desperately needs more artics during the week and some Saturday trips as well. it seems like every time I take the 2, its always jam packed with standing room only.

The 1W does not need artics at all outside of late afternoon northbound trips.

All AM southbound and PM northbound 1 and 2 trips (out side of Getty Square short turns) need to be artics.

The 4 needs to be fully artics during between the hours of 5AM-9AM, and 3PM-8PM

the 5 needs to be fully artic route except for Sunday morning trips and Ardsley/Odell short turns

the 6 could use a few artics around the AM rush hour, and 2:30pm

the 7 could cut back a little on artics between the hours of 10-2

the 8 could use a few artics in Rush hours and school hours

the 14 could maybe use 1 or 2 artics.

the 25 could use a couple artics in PM rush hour

the 40 could cut back on artics considerably outside of rush hours.

the 42 could use a lot more artics all around.

every 60 trip to White Plains needs to be an artic

the 62 does not need artics at all

the 32, 63, 66 can all use the mini orion v's

all commuter trips need the mini orion v's

the 78 could use some artics on weekends.

the 15 needs more service. make it hourly at least.

the 14 needs extended service to at least half hour headways.

the 20 needs 24 hour service

the 1/2 to Getty Square could be extended to 2AM Monday-Saturday, midnight on Sundays

the 4 to Getty Square could be extended to midnight Monday-Saturday, 11PM on Sundays

the 5 could be extended to 11PM Monday-Saturday

the 7 could use 24 hour service

the 8 could be extended to midnight Monday-Friday, 11PM on Weekends.

the 13 could use 24 hour service

the 14 could be extended to 1AM

the 21 could run 7 days a week

the 40 could run til 12AM Monday-Saturday, 11PM on Sundays

the 60 could run 24 hour service between Fordham-New Rochelle

I'll agree with Bee-Line overserving its commuter routes. For example, the 34/38 share a lot of routing together, and leave/arrive together at Hartsdale, leading to (emptier) buses than it should be (the buses don't have much ridership to begin with anyways). IDK about this, but I feel that the 34 should be eliminated, while keeping the 38 and 39. I think most people in the area of Elmsford are taking any of the White Plains buses on Route 119, and catching an express train from White Plains. Both stations are in the same fare zone, so I don't see the need to shuttle riders to a "local" station. 

Do keep in mind that the pocket of Elmsford is isolated from Route 119 (the streets all dead-end), and you either have to go up to Hartsdale Avenue, or cross over the Sprain Brook Parkway (by walking in the street, since that Hartsdale Avenue bridge doesn't have a sidewalk). The closest "mainline" local route is actually the #6 bus, which obviously doesn't match the combined frequency of the Tarrytown Road routes.

With that being said, I don't disagree with eliminating the #34. While they're at it, there's no need to have both the #64 & #66 looping through Scarsdale (the #63 only has a couple of trips doing it). For that matter, is there enough turnover on the #66 within Scarsdale to justify virtually every bus doing a full loop of the village? If that's not the case, I would be inclined to just have the #66 run straight down Popham/Ardsley Road, and have the #63 terminate by the Garth Road apartments. Maybe extend to the #64 terminal full-time. 

That's the thing that annoys me about Bee Line: They run artics on their infrequent routes as a way to avoid running more frequent service. Anything running on 30+ minute headways should not be running artics. They should be getting the headways down to more reasonable levels and then they can think about running artics. AFAIC, it should really just be routes like the #20, the #1/2, and other high-ridership, high-frequency routes running artics. Even routes like the #13, #60, etc, as crowded as they get, they should be running more frequent service before they get to the point where they run artics. 

the 20 needs 24 hour service

the 1/2 to Getty Square could be extended to 2AM Monday-Saturday, midnight on Sundays

the 4 to Getty Square could be extended to midnight Monday-Saturday, 11PM on Sundays

the 7 could use 24 hour service

the 60 could run 24 hour service between Fordham-New Rochelle

With the lack of overnight MNRR service, I definitely agree that there should be something running from Yonkers to the (1) train overnight (either the #1 or #2, but not both. Not sure if either should travel north of Getty Square to their respective terminals in northern Yonkers). The #20 could use overnight service, and the #42 is probably a better substitute for the New Haven Line than the #60 (since it serves both Mount Vernon & New Rochelle). The #7 could run overnight west of Mount Vernon (maybe interline the #7 with the #1 at Getty Square or something)

1 - Only one route and that is to Tarrytown, running every 30 minutes during the day, and truncated at the Yonkers border evenings, and Getty Square at nights.  Would run daily 24/7, with regular service until 2 AM.  Service every 90 minutes until 5 AM.

2 - North of Tudor Woods, would replace the 1C/1X routes, running via Broadway, White Plains Road, then Saw Mill River Road, then current 1C route to WCC and the hospitals to connect to northern Westchester Routes.  This expansion would be effective weekdays 6 AM to 10 PM.  Service to current terminal would run until 2 AM.

3 - Expanded service would have local and express route from the Bronx via White Plains to Purchase.  Would run until 10 PM daily.  Local route would run via Broadway, Ashford Avenue, Saw Mill River Road, Dobbs Ferry Road, Tarrytown/White Plains Road, Downtown White Plains (most buses would terminate there), Westchester Avenue, and Purchase Street.  Express service unchanged.  1W eliminated.

4 & 7 buses would run 24/7 with regular service until 2 AM.  

5 & 6 buses would be extended to Riverdale / 242nd Street daily until midnight.

5 - North of Central Avenue would via Saw Mill River Road, to the Westchester Medical Center, then to Westchester Community College, then via 40 route to the Transcenter, and the 13 route to Broadway / Main Streets in White Plains, where service would terminate.  Harrison customers would take the 14 or 15 buses there.

14, 15, 17 buses - expanded to Harrison, replacing the 5 bus.

14 - Service would run until midnight, daily, with 30 minute headways most of the day.

15 - Service would run until 9 PM, daily with 60 minute headways most of the day

17 - Express service would run until 8 PM.

20 / 21 - BRT would be the 21, and would run daily until midnight, while 20 Local would run 24/7, hourly after midnight.

40 / 43 - Service expanded to Fordham Plaza via Bronx River Road / Webster Avenue.  Unlike the 60 which makes all stops along with the Bx12, and Bx30 buses, the W40, and W43 buses will only stop at major intersections between Gun Hill and Fordham Roads, and will not do the following due to the Bx41 bus service:

1) discharge northbound passengers until buses are north of Gun Hill Road

2) pick up southbound passengers south of Gun Hill Road.

40 - would run until midnight, with limited stops to White Plains during peak hours, and local stops all other times.  Late nights would run as shuttle between Fordham and Mount Vernon.

41 - would become the local and would run from Mount Vernon to White Plains during peak hours.

60 - would run 24/7 service between Fordham and New Rochelle.

1 - Only one route and that is to Tarrytown, running every 30 minutes during the day, and truncated at the Yonkers border evenings, and Getty Square at nights.  Would run daily 24/7, with regular service until 2 AM.  Service every 90 minutes until 5 AM.

2 - North of Tudor Woods, would replace the 1C/1X routes, running via Broadway, White Plains Road, then Saw Mill River Road, then current 1C route to WCC and the hospitals to connect to northern Westchester Routes.  This expansion would be effective weekdays 6 AM to 10 PM.  Service to current terminal would run until 2 AM.

3 - Expanded service would have local and express route from the Bronx via White Plains to Purchase.  Would run until 10 PM daily.  Local route would run via Broadway, Ashford Avenue, Saw Mill River Road, Dobbs Ferry Road, Tarrytown/White Plains Road, Downtown White Plains (most buses would terminate there), Westchester Avenue, and Purchase Street.  Express service unchanged.  1W eliminated.

4 & 7 buses would run 24/7 with regular service until 2 AM.  

5 & 6 buses would be extended to Riverdale / 242nd Street daily until midnight.

5 - North of Central Avenue would via Saw Mill River Road, to the Westchester Medical Center, then to Westchester Community College, then via 40 route to the Transcenter, and the 13 route to Broadway / Main Streets in White Plains, where service would terminate.  Harrison customers would take the 14 or 15 buses there.

14, 15, 17 buses - expanded to Harrison, replacing the 5 bus.

14 - Service would run until midnight, daily, with 30 minute headways most of the day.

15 - Service would run until 9 PM, daily with 60 minute headways most of the day

17 - Express service would run until 8 PM.

20 / 21 - BRT would be the 21, and would run daily until midnight, while 20 Local would run 24/7, hourly after midnight.

40 / 43 - Service expanded to Fordham Plaza via Bronx River Road / Webster Avenue.  Unlike the 60 which makes all stops along with the Bx12, and Bx30 buses, the W40, and W43 buses will only stop at major intersections between Gun Hill and Fordham Roads, and will not do the following due to the Bx41 bus service:

1) discharge northbound passengers until buses are north of Gun Hill Road

2) pick up southbound passengers south of Gun Hill Road.

40 - would run until midnight, with limited stops to White Plains during peak hours, and local stops all other times.  Late nights would run as shuttle between Fordham and Mount Vernon.

41 - would become the local and would run from Mount Vernon to White Plains during peak hours.

60 - would run 24/7 service between Fordham and New Rochelle.

What do you mean by "regular service"

Anyway, how low is ridership on the 1X? I know Bee Line buses are generally a lot quicker than NYC buses, but that's still a pretty long ride from WCC to Yonkers on local streets.

Your local #3 is basically a branch of the #6 to Purchase (that's extended to 242nd Street)

The #5 would be taking a really roundabout route. Anything from the south should either serve WCC/WMC or White Plains, not both (especially with the #2 already covering Yonkers-WCC/WMC travel). As for cutting it back to White Plains and having the #14/15 cover the portion to Harrison, that's an interesting way to go about doing it. 

I can agree with a span extension on the #14 & #15. As for the frequency, keep in mind that a decent chunk of riders have 2 or more buses they can use interchangably (#13/14 between Ossining & White Plains, #14/15 between Peekskill and WCC/WMC/White Plains). It's not ideal, but (in general), I think the headway meets the demand.

I think there should be a few reverse-peak #17 trips, since they're headed that way to get to/from the depot. For the #15, I'm not sure what their logic is behind the current schedule. I can understand an odd headway like 75 minutes, but it seems like they just throw the buses on whenever they feel like it. Maybe they're interlining with the #14 at White Plains (and obviously, there's a #15 trip that comes off the #17). It should definitely be looked into.

As I mentioned, I think the #42 would provide an adequate overnight substitute for the #40 & #60 for service to Mt. Vernon/New Rochelle respectively.

Didn't they just rebuild the AN460's?

Which is why the AN460's will be around for bit longer. In my opinion, they are still in pretty decent condition.

ok, Bee-Line is decent but it could use a few shakeups in slight route changes, service changes, and where to send artics and where not to.

First things first, THE 2 desperately needs more artics during the week and some Saturday trips as well. it seems like every time I take the 2, its always jam packed with standing room only.

The 1W does not need artics at all outside of late afternoon northbound trips.

All AM southbound and PM northbound 1 and 2 trips (out side of Getty Square short turns) need to be artics.

The 4 needs to be fully artics during between the hours of 5AM-9AM, and 3PM-8PM

the 5 needs to be fully artic route except for Sunday morning trips and Ardsley/Odell short turns

the 6 could use a few artics around the AM rush hour, and 2:30pm

Agreed.

the 7 could cut back a little on artics between the hours of 10-2

Similar to the 42/60, people are on and off frequently on portions of this route. The mix of 40/60 foot buses is just right.

the 8 could use a few artics in Rush hours and school hours

Agreed

the 25 could use a couple artics in PM rush hour

the 40 could cut back on artics considerably outside of rush hours.

Absolutely false. Unlike other routes in the county, this is a route that carries big groups of passengers from start to finish. Midday, the 40 runs at 30-minute headways, is usually packed, and makes nearly every stop in both directions. During the rush periods, the 40 could run from downtown White Plains and enter Mount Vernon in under 50 minutes. During off hours, especially midday, that same White Plains-Mount Vernon commute takes over an hour due to the amount of passengers.

the 42 could use a lot more artics all around.

Like the 60, the 42 is a route that heavier loads for small portions. From 241st to 5th Avenue most buses are loaded, but dissipate as the route progresses into parts of Mount Vernon

every 60 trip to White Plains needs to be an artic

This would be a complete waste. I'm sure a large majority of runs on the 60 now have artics and almost always have available seats.

the 62 does not need artics at all

This route, when I was frequent rider years ago, was at seating capacity by the time it hits interstate 287. Additionally, I'm sure the they'd rather avoid having standees on this route as it travels on two interstates before it goes local.

the 32, 63, 66 can all use the mini orion v's

all commuter trips need the mini orion v's

Comments in Red. I'm sure they place artics on runs/routes that a most needed and remain there afterwards for consistency between routes.

Is between Fordham and New Rochelle. ..east of north avenue is quite poor and in White Plains it is quite heavy only within city limits

As such a high demand of service it is a nominee (along with the BL 7, 13, 20, 42) to be 24 hours hence Westchester county would have three more bus routes in operation 24 hours than NICE (n22 can be a huge nominee to become 24 hours if operated between Jamaica and RFmall the heaviest part of the route)

Articulated buses are huge demands on the 60 ...though if i recall my old times back 10 years ago the BL 62 would always use the Flxibles metro B and seldom the articulated so i think it is optional to it use the 12 m buses but no forget that the BL 62 about 75% of its ridership is between Bronx and New Rochelle (majority within the Bronx) and 25% between New Rochelle and White Plains. ..i would say that not so many people get off the platinum mile although some do but majority of workers in that cooperate area have cars. ..

The 40 reminds me of the n40 as being the heaviestt used route intracounty and coincidentall both are nnumbered #40 (note: I' m. Excludingg the extended. Service to the Bronx...also. to note this route when extended to the bx it is the longest. "Inter County" bus of the Bee line riding from Valhalla all the way to Bronx

As such a high demand of service it is a nominee (along with the BL 7, 13, 20, 42) to be 24 hours hence Westchester county would have three more bus routes in operation 24 hours than NICE (n22 can be a huge nominee to become 24 hours if operated between Jamaica and RFmall the heaviest part of the route)

Not sure what the point of terminating the n22 at the mall in the middle of the night would be. There wouldn't be any connections to other routes, and the mall itself is probably closed. The n40 would actually make more sense, given that it connects to other 24/7 routes (the n4/6 and the branches of the LIRR that run overnight).

Not sure how you have the #13 on the list for overnight service, but nothing between SW Yonkers and The Bronx. 

In all reality, the only service I could see benefiting from overnight service paired with it's current routing is the 20. This is only route that wouldn't require a ton of rerouting in order for it be useful.

In my opinion, if you were to have routes like the 7 and 40 run overnight, you would need to truncate and reroute portions of the line. Take the 7. The only way ridership would grant extended service is if the route were to meet some subway line, and with the present set-up you would have to make the 7 connect with (1)(2) or (4) to truly add a benefit. Doing that would probably require the line to have different number if a portion of a line is only activated at night.

With the 40, you could just extend the 40 to 241st and end the run at Petrillo Plaza in Mount Vernon. With that scenario, you'd have to staff a 10 minute line, that would run maybe 4 round trips. Or you'd run some combination 40/7 run to serve more of the county.

My bad i meant Mineola Transit Ctr since it is adjacent to the LIRR alsothe n40 is another nominee since its terminus north is at mineola T.C. so both routeswould hence be 24/7 and NOT serve the mall since it would look more deserted than mineola (reminds me of Riverhead County Ctr in daylight it is agglomeration but at night after the last s92 to east Hampton leaves it is wilderness. ..bay shore is also wilderness after 10:15pm as well as Amityville

The BL 13 corridor between Tarrytown and Port Chester is high demand but if not 24 hours make it at least leave Port Chester at 11:50pm to coordinate with the upcoming last CT-S 11 bus...i mean it is a complete waste to have the two last 11 bus NOT have a connection to the BL13

That works too but the BL 7 and 40 are intra county routes i would make the 42 24 hours from Petrillo to 241 st...alsothe BL 1 and the 8 sshould be 24/7 since both routes connect to a 24/7 NYC bus and one of them (BL 1) connects to the (1) subway also to give that southwest Yonkers has a Bronx like taste and requires buses 24/7...i would not considered the 4 since the area it access is within walking distance from either the BL 1 or 20

The BL 8 would terminate in nepperhan ave ashburton since after this area it is more suburbano like

BL 1 and the 8 sshould be 24/7 since both routes connect to a 24/7 NYC bus and one of them (BL 1) connects to the (1) subway also to give that southwest Yonkers has a Bronx like taste and requires buses 24/7...i would not considered the 4 since the area it access is within walking distance from either the BL 1 or 20

The BL 8 would terminate in nepperhan ave ashburton since after this area it is more suburbano like

The BL-8 runs a few blocks from the BL-1 on Broadway. And who would want to travel from Riverdale to South Yonkers (or vice versa) at 3AM?

Forgot that the 8 runs almost parallell to the 1

Ok so the last BL 8 departs at 12mid

The BL 1 should be 24/7 and run at least 60 minutes that is have only one bus to run from 242 st subway to GettySquare

Archived