67 Elected Officials Send Letter to Cuomo to Direct MTA to Improve Bus Service

Via Garibaldi 8

Move that bus! Officials demand Cuomo improve service

Posted  May 26, 2017
1495574741_f605.jpg
A woman waits in the rain for a bus. Nearly 70 government officials have joined forces to push Gov. Andrew Cuomo to make much-needed improvements to the city’s transit system.
Aaron Mayorga

By Alexandra Hutzler

Last Thursday morning, Sal and Maureen Moscato waited more than 20 minutes in 90-degree heat for the Bx7 on the corner of West 259th Street and Riverdale Avenue. 

The elderly couple has used the city’s bus system for more than 18 years, and as Sal wiped the sweat from his brow, described the service that day as “terrible.” Sadly, they are just two riders out of many who feel this way.

Dissatisfaction and a decrease in ridership has caused the Bus Turnaround Coalition — an advocacy group of New Yorkers determined to “turn around” poor bus service — to join with government officials demanding Gov. Andrew Cuomo do more to improve the system.

The Bus Turnaround Coalition identified the top 10 routes that need improvement this year based on large disparities between travel times during peak and off-peak hours. Among the list are six lines located in the Bronx, including the Bx9.

In a May 18 letter, 67 elected officials — including Assemblyman Jeff Dinowitz, and state senators Daniel Squadron and Marisol Alcantara — called on Cuomo to direct the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to commit to what they described as two inexpensive solutions to the ailing bus service.

The first proposal is a transit signal priority network, allowing buses to manipulate traffic lights to remain green. While the tool already exists and has proven to be successful in select service routes, the MTA only uses it on a handful of buses throughout the five boroughs. 

The second solution is all-door boarding, allowing riders to enter through either the front or back door using electronic payment methods. It’s a move the leaders said would greatly minimize the time needed for passengers to board the bus.

“We think both of them can be implemented relatively easily and quickly,” Dinowitz said. “We want to start to see changes now. We don’t want to wait for five years. People are very frustrated by what they consider bad bus service.” 

The letter was released just three days after the MTA outlined a similar six-point plan to restructure management and modernize technology on subways to decrease delays.

Dinowitz, chair of the Assembly’s committee on corporations, authorities and commissions — which oversees the MTA — circulated the letter inside the Assembly. 

Barbara Haimowitz lived in Riverdale for 18 years before moving further into the city last year. One of the reasons for the move was that her children, who attended school in Manhattan, were waiting for buses late at night after extracurricular activities. 

Worried about her kids standing on the street after 11 p.m., Haimowitz often drove to pick them up just before midnight. 

“I would say that parents with kids in school have a big burden in terms of their commuting,” Haimowitz said. 

Sal and Maureen Moscato expressed dissatisfaction with the bus system’s inconsistency. 

They suggest the MTA properly space buses to eliminate “bunching,” where a bus that might be on schedule catches up to a bus that’s running late. Bunching, in many cases, creates long waiting gaps for riders at bus stops.

Another difficulty for the couple is that buses do not always do their best to accommodate elderly passengers.

“The problem is we’re disabled,” Maureen said. “Getting them to pull into the curbs is a big problem.”

City officials already are butting heads with the governor over a $65 million cut to MTA funding in Cuomo’s executive budget. The Assembly could not convince Cuomo to restore the funds, but they did put in an equal amount of money in different budget additions toward improving MTA services.

So far there has been no response by the governor’s office to the letter.

Source: http://riverdalepress.com/stories/move-that-bus-officials-demand-cuomo-improve-service,62622

What they should do is have the buses that use the bus lane, have their own signal. Cities like Ottawa and Seattle have this in some places and its very effective. That extended yellow doesn't really help matters much.

What they should do is have the buses that use the bus lane, have their own signal. Cities like Ottawa and Seattle have this in some places and its very effective. That extended yellow doesn't really help matters much.

I think the big obstacle for the (MTA) is having on board payment with electronic options. It is long overdue. I for one am sick of having to refill my Metrocard in Manhattan. God forbid I don't. The one store in Riverdale that sells Metrocards is either out of them completely, or only has $21.00 cards, which does nothing for me, not to mention I have to go the bank first to get cash out since they don't take debit or credit cards, so that means a nice long walk to 242nd or 231st street, where I have to hope that at least of those of stupid MVM machines work. Happened last Saturday in fact.  Machine acted as if it would malfunction before finally spitting out my Metrocard with an express bus pass.  I actually downloaded a Metrocard app, thinking it may allow me to pay electronically, but alas, it's just a calculator for ensuring that if you put cash on it, you don't have anything left over, as it calculates the exact amount needed for the local bus or subway and the express bus.

The app that they created for Metro-North has been very helpful.  I bought several single peak tickets today in fact before getting the shuttle bus to the train.  No more standing on long lines at the station.

67 officials? Looks like they're all from the same hood.

But what does the temperature of the weather have to do with waiting for a bus?

Here is my outcome: people doesn't seem to understand that buses do intend to break down under extreme temperatures. I've seen & been in transit vehicles that have broke down during passenger/customer operation, especially those that are more than 10 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

67 officials? Looks like they're all from the same hood.

But what does the temperature of the weather have to do with waiting for a bus?

Here is my outcome: people doesn't seem to understand that buses do intend to break down under extreme temperatures. I've seen & been in transit vehicles that have broke down during passenger/customer operation, especially those that are more than 10 years old.

It seems as if when there's a drop of rain, everything comes to a grinding halt, be it the subways or the buses. I have a parent whose daughter lives in the Bronx (Parkchester to be exact), and she has had to cancel sessions now three times in the past month because she was stuck on the train due to inclement weather, and I charge accordingly because it's a late cancellation.  It's just an example of how difficult it has been in the last few years to get around, even for people that live in areas with relatively decent commutes, and especially in "extreme" weather.  It's also costly for some folks.  Those late cancellations cost her roughly $200.00.  There was a story this morning talking about how people are actually changing jobs because of how long it is taking to commute to and from work, especially here in NYC.  Can't really blame them, especially if you're commuting by bus.

Areas of the Bronx rely heavily on buses because of the lack of subways, and those people have been very vocal. I would imagine parts of Queens and Brooklyn are in the same boat, and Staten Island too. We've also seen people on the Upper East Side complain about bus service.

I think the big obstacle for the (MTA) is having on board payment with electronic options. It is long overdue. I for one am sick of having to refill my Metrocard in Manhattan. God forbid I don't. The one store in Riverdale that sells Metrocards is either out of them completely, or only has $21.00 cards, which does nothing for me, not to mention I have to go the bank first to get cash out since they don't take debit or credit cards, so that means a nice long walk to 242nd or 231st street, where I have to hope that at least of those of stupid MVM machines work. Happened last Saturday in fact. Machine acted as if it would malfunction before finally spitting out my Metrocard with an express bus pass. I actually downloaded a Metrocard app, thinking it may allow me to pay electronically, but alas, it's just a calculator for ensuring that if you put cash on it, you don't have anything left over, as it calculates the exact amount needed for the local bus or subway and the express bus.

The app that they created for Metro-North has been very helpful. I bought several single peak tickets today in fact before getting the shuttle bus to the train. No more standing on long lines at the station.

I sympathize. I have to go to St George to purchase, and godforbid the machines go down - then I have to go to South Ferry.

Whereas even smallville transit systems have tap cards and online purchasing.

MetroCard was so cool back in the 90s when the world was still flashing cardboard bus passes or paying cash. Now it's an anachronism.

That's the reason why the SAS had to open, and the M79 became SBS. (I was looking for something in reference to SCS). You know and I know that people look to complain about little things. Began in 1985, corporations, companies and law firms based in both midtown & downtown Manhattan started what is now called "Late Arrival/Delayed Progression": a printed black & white documented paper that is used to fill out before you started to work on the reasons for your travel was delayed or slowed so that you will not lose time on the clock. That does now apply to messenger services. Where I was cooperative at for a year at CNYDOB at 1 Centre St in Downtown, that slip was found next to the timeclock. 69% of the employees travel by subway, 22% by bus and the rest walk or bike. They allowed 15 minutes of grace period, but if you showed up later than that, you would have to fill out that paper and hand it to your sup or bōss and 99.9% of the employees will not get docked. In 1999, companies started a "work at home" program whereas if you can't make it in, you can do the job from your desk at home via the company's website.

I sympathize. I have to go to St George to purchase, and godforbid the machines go down - then I have to go to South Ferry.

MetroCard was so cool back in the 90s when the world was still flashing cardboard bus passes or paying cash. Now it's an anachronism.

Yeah, it's amazing how difficult the (MTA) makes it to give them your money.  The MVM situation at the subways here has been abominable for years, and something that (MTA) refuses to address despite rehabbing both the 231st street and 242nd subway stations.  I wouldn't even attempt to go to the 238th street subway station because there is only one MVM there and I was burned years ago going to that one as it wouldn't work. Had to walk all the way to 242nd street and schlepp up the stairs again and luckily I got a machine to work out of four.   We have Metrocard vans that stop in the area a few times a month, but they come up too late for me to use them.  

On Staten Island, it was also quite difficult.  I was stuck buying a $20.00 card most times since they usually had nothing else, or taking car service and spending $15 - 20 to go to another location and get cards there, making sure to call in advance and question what was in stock.  I think Stop & Shop sold them on Richmond Avenue near Forest, so I would get them from there or over in Sunnyside at the supermarket on Clove Rd.  I need the express bus pass, and most places are always out of them.  Today I bought two express bus passes since I don't plan on coming to Manhattan again for a bit, and certainly don't want to walk 20 minutes to and from each way just for a card.  What I also do at times is just walk to one of the Metro-North stations in my neighborhood and take the train in and refill once in Grand Central.

I second that: Philadelphia's SEPTA came out with the Transpass in the mid 80s. Starting June 1st, they will no longer be selling those cards as their new fare payment has been transferred to SEPTAKey: a fare tap payment similar to what the MTA was testing a few years back on the 4/5/6 lines (remember that?).

Along with SEPTA, DC & Maryland also has tap cards, but that's another topic I'll save for later.

Yeah, it's amazing how difficult the (MTA) makes it to give them your money. The MVM situation at the subways here has been abominable for years, and something that (MTA) refuses to address despite rehabbing both the 231st street and 242nd subway stations. I wouldn't even attempt to go to the 238th street subway station because there is only one MVM there and I was burned years ago going to that one as it wouldn't work. Had to walk all the way to 242nd street and schlepp up the stairs again and luckily I got a machine to work out of four. We have Metrocard vans that stop in the area a few times a month, but they come up too late for me to use them.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

and cuomo will just answer by just jazzing up the bus stop with wifi and charging ports and A/C or heaters. (sarcasm)

The scary part about that statement is that the sarcasm wouldn't be necessary at all.

and cuomo will just answer by just jazzing up the bus stop with wifi and charging ports and A/C or heaters. (sarcasm)

Speaking of heaters, has anyone seen bus shelters with heaters in them? There were a few in Manhattan that had heaters placed inside the shelter up by where they've started putting in those digital clocks that give you the time. Those things were pretty good. lol They didn't stick around long. Looked like a safety hazard too because they had to be pretty hot. I could see the homeless camping out in the shelters if they were still around.

I agree. In the (MTA) training, B/O's are taught that yellow = stop...

Speaking of heaters, has anyone seen bus shelters with heaters in them? There were a few in Manhattan that had heaters placed inside the shelter up by where they've started putting in those digital clocks that give you the time. Those things were pretty good. lol They didn't stick around long. Looked like a safety hazard too because they had to be pretty hot. I could see the homeless camping out in the shelters if they were still around.

The overhead heaters with the red orange hot lamp? If so, nah, I've never seen those at any bus shelter, but they have 2 of them at LIRR Jamaica.... Don't seem to have much of an effect if you ask me....

The overhead heaters with the red orange hot lamp? If so, nah, I've never seen those at any bus shelter, but they have 2 of them at LIRR Jamaica.... Don't seem to have much of an effect if you ask me....

Yeah that's the one. They were pretty good when I saw them. Recall it being quite cold out. Standing by it helped a little bit.

Knowing those stupid CEMUSA shelters, they probably couldn't maintain them if they tried.

Heck, CEMUSA can't even maintain the glass on those shelters; I doubt they could maintain something with moving parts.

Archived