Unauthorized Person On Subway Tracks Causes Morning Meltdown On 1/2/3

Via Garibaldi 8

Video: Unauthorized Person On Subway Tracks Causes Morning Meltdown On 1/2/3
BY JOHN DEL SIGNORE IN NEWS ON AUG 10, 2017 9:07 AM

This morning's rush hour commute turned into a considerably vexing experience for those poor souls trying to get to work along the 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 subway lines. The MTA says an "unauthorized person" on the trackbed at 14th Street is responsible for the delays, which have snarled multiple lines. One straphanger posted photos and video on Twitter of what she said was the individual in question:

sYxVW_mJW6LbXRi6.jpg

DG3nZNyXcAE6YAh.jpg

By 8:40 a.m., there was no 1 train service in either direction between South Ferry and 42nd Street Times Square. Southbound 1, 2, and 3 trains were terminating at 34th Street Penn Station, and some 2 trains were being rerouted along the 5 line between Nevins St and 149 St-Grand Concourse in both directions. This resulted in delays on the 4/5 lines.

At 72nd Street on the Upper West Side, stranded travelers received an evolving series of messages. At one point, an announcement encouraged everyone to vacate the station and try hailing a cab, find a bus, or walk to another subway station. Then confused straphangers were told, "This 1 train isn't moving for the foreseeable future. Your best bet is to take the bus or the express train and double back." Minutes later, an announcement came that trains would be moving again soon, which they eventually did.

One commuter at 125th Street emailed to report that on her stalled train, the conductor announced that all power had been turned off at 14th Street due to an unauthorized person running on the tracks, and police were trying to catch them. The detailed announcement appears to be part of a new effort on behalf of the MTA to give straphangers more information about the cause of delays.

DG3ut-GXsAAsvXZ.jpg

As of 9 a.m., the MTA said service had resumed with "extensive" delays. The MTA confirmed a "person was on the express tracks south of 14th Street, and was attempting to the touch the third rail, but we had turned off power." The unidentified person was taken into custody at 8:35 a.m.

The MTA could not immediately confirm if the person shown in the video and photos was the same individual who caused the delays.

UPDATE: An NYPD spokesperson said the unidentified man was taken into custody and removed from the subway at the Christopher Street station. The man, who appeared to be uninjured, was taken to Bellevue Hospital for evaluation.

Additional reporting by Aidan Gardiner

If someone you know exhibits warning signs of suicide: do not leave the person alone; remove any firearms, alcohol, drugs or sharp objects that could be used in a suicide attempt; and call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or take the person to an emergency room or seek help from a medical or mental health professional.

Contact the author of this article or email tips@gothamist.com with further questions, comments or tips.

Source: http://gothamist.com/2017/08/10/person_on_subway_tracks.php

-----

This isn't really news.  What is news is how often this is happening now.  My question is what are some short-term answers to help combat this ongoing problem?  I don't know if I support having those sliding doors installed on the tracks. I think it's too expensive to implement and will disrupt service too much.  The (MTA) has said that it is going to work diligently to reduce track fires that cause delays, but what are they doing to coordinate with the city to reduce the amount of unauthorized people walking or jumping onto the tracks?  To me this says that we have a problem in that we have too many people walking around in general that either aren't on their medication or should be in an institution rather than on the streets, and this is something that the (MTA) should be calling on the city to address.  If they're going to reduce delays, then these issues have to be addressed.

The only way to really reduce and prevent persons from either falling onto or wandering on the tracks is through increased personnel presence. Whether that's through more of a police presence or just more MTA workers monitoring the platforms and tracks, I'm not sure. Either way, I am sure that both the MTA and the city will balk at the increased costs of these additional monitors.

In regards to mental health of these "wanderers", it's an unfortunate case of legality and funding. Legally, nobody can be held in any kind of mental institution unless they are considered a danger to themselves or more importantly, other people. We cannot lock people up simply because they might pose a risk, despite no history of actually doing so. Another problem here is a lack of funding. Mental health issues and specifically facilities designed to help those with mental problems are so lacking in funding that it would be impossible to actually do anything for anyone that isn't a severe case.

This isn't really news.  What is news is how often this is happening now.  My question is what are some short-term answers to help combat this ongoing problem?  I don't know if I support having those sliding doors installed on the tracks. I think it's too expensive to implement and will disrupt service too much.  The (MTA) has said that it is going to work diligently to reduce track fires that cause delays, but what are they doing to coordinate with the city to reduce the amount of unauthorized people walking or jumping onto the tracks?  To me this says that we have a problem in that we have too many people walking around in general that either aren't on their medication or should be in an institution rather than on the streets, and this is something that the (MTA) should be calling on the city to address.  If they're going to reduce delays, then these issues have to be addressed.

“Just let them die” is what I would say, but I think concern for the subway equipment rules that out. Someone’s bones might cause a train to derail, killing people who don’t want to die.

Another thing too is the "how often is this happening" line.

When it comes to the media, they are gonna report on what gets them views and ratings. Do not think that just because the news is reporting on it more, that it's new. They are just following the hunt and as soon as transit isn't what's hot, you're gonna stop hearing about it.

The only way to really reduce and prevent persons from either falling onto or wandering on the tracks is through increased personnel presence. Whether that's through more of a police presence or just more MTA workers monitoring the platforms and tracks, I'm not sure. Either way, I am sure that both the MTA and the city will balk at the increased costs of these additional monitors.

In regards to mental health of these "wanderers", it's an unfortunate case of legality and funding. Legally, nobody can be held in any kind of mental institution unless they are considered a danger to themselves or more importantly, other people. We cannot lock people up simply because they might pose a risk, despite no history of actually doing so. Another problem here is a lack of funding. Mental health issues and specifically facilities designed to help those with mental problems are so lacking in funding that it would be impossible to actually do anything for anyone that isn't a severe case.

“Just let them die” is what I would say, but I think concern for the subway equipment rules that out. Someone’s bones might cause a train to derail, killing people who don’t want to die.

Long term though, if this continues to be an ongoing problem where it is delaying/halting service, I believe the public will start to demand that something be done about it.  I've been reading that now the announcements when trains are delayed are no longer we are delayed because of train traffic, but rather, we are delayed because we have someone running on the tracks, or someone jumped in front of a train or something to that affect.  It'll make people more compassionate and less likely to complain about the delay itself, but if people keep hearing this enough, they'll have to wonder what is being done to prevent such things from happening so frequently. I would put this up there with the trash/track fires.

I can't recall hearing of so many delays because of people on the tracks or jumping in front of trains in the past.  It seemed to start to become more frequent somewhere between the time when Bloomberg was in office and when de Blasio took over, and now there's one almost every month if not more.  

Another thing too is the "how often is this happening" line.

When it comes to the media, they are gonna report on what gets them views and ratings. Do not think that just because the news is reporting on it more, that it's new. They are just following the hunt and as soon as transit isn't what's hot, you're gonna stop hearing about it.

I would agree with that only if these things weren't having severe effects on service. When these things happen often times it means shutting off the power entirely which disrupts service big time.  More than anything, I would think the (MTA) needs to look at how to deter such things going forward.

The thing is, eventually, these types of reports are gonna disappear and we're gonna forget.

Remember that rash of stabbing and slicing incidents on the subway a couple years back that were all the rage? Not me.

But I'm sure Pepperidge Farm remembers.

-----

Is it always true? I know it will be very diffcult to install them on B-div (since they still have 75-foot cars), but A-div?

I know there are systems around the world installed PSD on operating line without disrupting daytime service (they usually do that late night). Is there ever a study conducted by (MTA) about PSD on our system?

The thing is, eventually, these types of reports are gonna disappear and we're gonna forget.

Remember that rash of stabbing and slicing incidents on the subway a couple years back that were all the rage? Not me.

But I'm sure Pepperidge Farm remembers.

There was one yesterday at 59th and Lex. Appears to not be random though.

Is it always true? I know it will be very diffcult to install them on B-div (since they still have 75-foot cars), but A-div?

I know there are systems around the world installed PSD on operating line without disrupting daytime service (they usually do that late night). Is there ever a study conducted by (MTA) about PSD on our system?

I just think it would be cost prohibitive based on what the (MTA) has said before about this.

Short of platform doors (which aren't happening) you'd have to ramp up security to a ridiculous amount to prevent those kinds of incidents. People who want to off themselves will find a way, and even in places like Japan with lots of station staffing, people manage to do it.

The thing with the A division fleet is actually the differences between the NTTs and the 62s. The 62s design is very symmetrical (since they were originally single cars). The NTTs have wider doors, and are staggered with the B and C cars compared to aligned in the A cars.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

There was one yesterday at 59th and Lex. Appears to not be random though.I just think it would be cost prohibitive based on what the (MTA) has said before about this.

Well if that's the case, what needs to be done is to eliminate the pork (Elizabeth monster spell check) that would be unnecessary "management positions" at the top of the (MTA) food chain and divert it to meaningful things like "platform monitors" to help keep moving service along and watch for the suicidals that want to kill themselves at the expense of others

NYCTA's management staff has decreased by over 30% since 2006. The fat is at the bottom, not the top...  Even there though, we have fewer mx staff than we did in that year. Cuts have been made, but they haven't been accompanied with a real push the workforce actually more efficient, so we're just losing ability. 

Well if that's the case, what needs to be done is to eliminate the pork (Elizabeth monster spell check) that would be unnecessary "management positions" at the top of the (MTA) food chain and divert it to meaningful things like "platform monitors" to help keep moving service along and watch for the suicidals that want to kill themselves at the expense of others

Well this topic was discussed by the board some months ago, and their thinking was to consider putting up barriers along the platforms.  I don't think that's feasible given the current crisis we have. I do think however that perhaps the outreach program could be more aggressive.  I see them around the Grand Central station, but only in spurts.  

So you're saying this ISN'T happening more? That was the real question, as someone being on the tracks isn't news.

In all honesty, its just like with bother news that happens, it seems like its more now, but its really not. Everyone has a camera now. Social media allows things to be put out there more. Someone else brought up the slashings a while back. You think that just stopped? No, the news just moves on to something new.

A few years ago someone high on something got recorded on the tracks at 34th st/6th ave stumbling on the tracks and fell on the third rail. Not one news report. Its not happening more, its getting reported publicly more. In a few months, the news will be on something new.

Ratings man. Ratings.

In all honesty, its just like with bother news that happens, it seems like its more now, but its really not. Everyone has a camera now. Social media allows things to be put out there more. Someone else brought up the slashings a while back. You think that just stopped? No, the news just moves on to something new.

A few years ago someone high on something got recorded on the tracks at 34th st/6th ave stumbling on the tracks and fell on the third rail. Not one news report. Its not happening more, its getting reported publicly more. In a few months, the news will be on something new.

Ratings man. Ratings.

My question is though how is this affecting delays? I would have to think that, media coverage or not, if it's causing a large amount of delays, the (MTA) has to look at addressing this somehow if they're going to get the subway situation under control.

My question is though how is this affecting delays? I would have to think that, media coverage or not, if it's causing a large amount of delays, the (MTA) has to look at addressing this somehow if they're going to get the subway situation under control.

People on the tracks has always been an issue. The issue in recent times is its now not just that. We still have an aging system that hasn't been maintained well since the implementation of the capital programs back in the 80s. We've always had people on the tracks. Its just being reported more now because of technology and coverage. There's always been at least one person on the tracks a day for as long as I can remember (and I'm about to turn 40).

With the increased ridership, aging equipment that hasn't been worked on lie its suppose to, stricter rules, slower speeds and overall more trains since 20 years ago, people on the tracks are the least amount of the delay issues.

People on the tracks has always been an issue. The issue in recent times is its now not just that. We still have an aging system that hasn't been maintained well since the implementation of the capital programs back in the 80s. We've always had people on the tracks. Its just being reported more now because of technology and coverage. There's always been at least one person on the tracks a day for as long as I can remember (and I'm about to turn 40).

With the increased ridership, aging equipment that hasn't been worked on lie its suppose to, stricter rules, slower speeds and overall more trains since 20 years ago, people on the tracks are the least amount of the delay issues.

I don't know. One person on the tracks a day is a lot and I think the (MTA) should look at ways to mitigate the problem. Long-term I think it's a must, especially if the delays continue to be severe.

I don't know. One person on the tracks a day is a lot and I think the (MTA) should look at ways to mitigate the problem. Long-term I think it's a must, especially if the delays continue to be severe.

Personally, I think every subway has its unauthorized person on tracks issue. Here in NYC, anything short of a 12-9 would probably see delays at a minimum with a quicker response time. Gets first responders there quicker, cut power quicker, then get it back up and running in little time. Its all about response usually. People are always going to be determined to do what they do. They'll find a way to get onto the tracks. They'll find a way to get thru platform doors. When someone has a will they will find a way. Nothing will stop that. Responding to it, solving it, and restoring service, all quickly, should be how they handle it IMO.

I don't think this is a new or growing issue at all. I think what's new about this is how the MTA reported the reason for the disruption and their plan of action to mitigate the delay and non-transit alternatives, which I know a few here have been calling for. I think the previous mentality in reporting such delays as sick customer/train traffic delays was to refrain from giving other possible suicidal people the idea that the subway is a good place, if I can speak frankly, to end it all.

I actually see is story as a success on the MTA's part. An unauthorized person entered the roadway with intention to harm himself, and personnel responded in such a way that the person was removed from the track alive and otherwise unharmed. Kudos to those who made it happen.

I think the MTA is doing something to address this issue when this is the outcome. There's but so much you can do when you're in the profession of moving millions of people a day and not in the psychiatric business. You don't know if someone is unhinged until they act out, and there's nothing you can do until then.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Read what I said again....

So then you're saying it's always been a problem. Nevertheless, with the increase in delays, I think you have to have more people dispatched in certain areas to try to mitigate the problem. You'll never stop it but you can certainly work to identify those at risk individuals.

I don't think this is a new or growing issue at all. I think what's new about this is how the MTA reported the reason for the disruption and their plan of action to mitigate the delay and non-transit alternatives, which I know a few here have been calling for. I think the previous mentality in reporting such delays as sick customer/train traffic delays was to refrain from giving other possible suicidal people the idea that the subway is a good place, if I can speak frankly, to end it all.

I actually see is story as a success on the MTA's part. An unauthorized person entered the roadway with intention to harm himself, and personnel responded in such a way that the person was removed from the track alive and otherwise unharmed. Kudos to those who made it happen.

I think the MTA is doing something to address this issue when this is the outcome. There's but so much you can do when you're in the profession of moving millions of people a day and not in the psychiatric business. You don't know if someone is unhinged until they act out, and there's nothing you can do until then.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't agree with that. A lot of the people that aren't mentally stable tend to act out and definitely stand out, so they're generally easy to spot.

Archived