Redesign a Line

W4ST

On 2/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, Bay Ridge Express said:

Me too... even when you're on the (N) it's frustrating going to Times Square. Can't do that unless you wait for the (R) and (W) to leave first, then delaying those trains as the (N) passes through.

Isn't it the same problem at Franklin Avenue on the (2) , (3) , (4) , and (5)  on the Northbound side? When a (2) is leaving Nostrand and merges to Eastern Pkwy doesn't that delay a (3) when it approaches Franklin? Or when a (4) passes by the junction, the (5) is sitting on the curve trying to enter Franklin but there's a (4) in the way. I really wonder.

13 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

If you understand that this is a game- type topic where we can redesign line however we want. Don't be coming here with your "(it's 2nd Avenue, not "LES"; that's a shorthand for a neighborhood)" shit. Let's see if you understand an acronym. Lower stands for "L", East stands for "E", and Side stands for "S". What does "L", "E", and "S" put together???? Oh wait... "LES". OMG did I know that Lower East Side's acronym is LES? Besides, if you know what station I'm referring to, why does that affect you so much to say some unnecessary stuff.

Someone’s mad 🌝

I have plenty of things that should have been built differently, but here is one for now:

• Build the Archer Avenue Line with double crossovers right next to the Jamaica Center station and a connection between the two levels past the station.

2 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Isn't it the same problem at Franklin Avenue on the (2) , (3) , (4) , and (5)  on the Northbound side? When a (2) is leaving Nostrand and merges to Eastern Pkwy doesn't that delay a (3) when it approaches Franklin? Or when a (4) passes by the junction, the (5) is sitting on the curve trying to enter Franklin but there's a (4) in the way. I really wonder.

Yes, it's a little something known as interlining 

This is how I would redesign the Flushing Line (7):

The (7) would now be a 4-tracked line, consisting of the (7)(8) Express, and the (9)(10) Local.

The (7)(8) express would start at Hoboken, in a new extension. They would then go under the river, stopping at 23rd Street and 11th Avenue and Hudson Yards. They would then go to Times Square along the (7)'s route today.

At Times Square, the (9)(10) local would start. Times Square would be a four-tracked station. They would continue westward, stopping at 5th Ave and Grand Central, both of which would be express.

Then, the (7)(8)(9)(10) would follow the (7)'s current route. The (9)(10) would make all stops, while the (7) and (8) would only stop at the express stations:

• Court Square
  • Queensboro Plaza
  • 74th Street / Jackson Heights
  • Junction Blvd
  • Willets Point (express trains would stop here only on game days or during important events at the stadium)
  • Flushing / Main Street

The line would be built in different ways at different places. The express tracks would run separately from the local tracks, in a different tunnel, from Grand Central to just south of Court Square. Court Square would have a double decker structure, with the local (9)(10) to the west and the express (7)(8) to the east. Queensboro Plaza would be built such that the (N) (9)(10) shared the original two BMT platforms to the north, and the express (7)(8) were on their own on the IRT platforms. The line would run with 4 tracks on one level on Queens Blvd, and then in a double-decker arrangement from 46th Street to Willets Point, which would all be on one level again. The line would then go underground at Flushing / Main Street, which would also all be on one level.

Flushing / Main Street would be 4 tracks. The line would then split up. The (9)(10) would go on a new extension to College Point, the (7) would go on a new extension to Bayside, and the (8) would go on a new extension through Pomonok and into Fresh Meadows.

The easy answer here is the Nassau Street Line from Chambers to Marcy (including the bridge) 

north of Chambers to Essex:

4 tracks (South Brooklyn-Nassau service in the middle, (J)(Z) on the outside) 

Essex Street:

Three tracks, two (wide) island platforms, no curves onto the Bridge 

the middle tracks from Bowery combine into the middle track at Essex

two tracks from Christie Street connect to the outside tracks at Essex 

Williamsburg Bridge:

three tracks 

Marcy Avenue

Three tracks, two (wide) island platforms, over the bus terminal 

Hewes Street & Lorimer Street:

combined into Union Avenue (transfer to (G))

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

0HmFMT9.jpg

Spot the differences :P

The (5) and (6) are going to Dyre while the (2) and (3) go to Pelham Bay Park. 

Rogers is not Deinterlined.

There’s no Second Avenue Subway. 

Culver has both Express and Local Service coming from Manhattan. 

The (J) is rerouted via the Liberty Avenue EL to Lefferts. Interesting. I assume there will be a (J) and Diamond <J> type Service? 

The (A)(C)(R) and (W) are all running under Atlantic Avenue instead of Fulton Street Up until Hillside where, they’ll replace the (F)? The (E) and (K) I’m guessing, are running via Montague with the pne running to Bay Ridge and the other via Myrtle Avenue. Cranberry now has 4 tracks instead of 2 and there is a Branch at Woodhaven for trains to run via RBB. Howard Beach, JFK is set up as a terminal with relay tracks. 

The (7) and (G) run via Astoria to Ditmars and the (N)(Q)(R) and (W) run via what appears to be a Flushing Trunk with a Branch to WhiteStone. I’m also going to make the assumption that Astoria has a Yard and that Queensboro Plaza is kinda set up with a complex Junction system similar to Broadway Junction. 

The 63rd Street Tunnel does not exist and in its place is a 4 track 53rd Street tunnel. The (E)(F)(K) and (M) (Or (V)). I’m assuming that west of 5th Avenue/53rd Street is a Flying Junction similar to Columbus Circle. Mind if I ask if The Archer Avenue Lines are dull bi level or single level?  

The (G) train is rerouted via The BQE and Bedford Avenue to match its original proposal up until Prospect Park?!? Then rerouted via Fort Hamilton Parkway?!?!?! And 36th Street/4th Avenue I assume will have more platforms/levels and an even bigger Flying Junction?!?! That’s crazy, but also genuis!

Also. Triboro is built differently from its current priposal. Would this affect Amtrak (and soon Metro North) in this scenario? 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

42 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The (5) and (6) are going to Dyre while the (2) and (3) go to Pelham Bay Park. 

Rogers is not Deinterlined.

There’s no Second Avenue Subway. 

Culver has both Express and Local Service coming from Manhattan. 

The (J) is rerouted via the Liberty Avenue EL to Lefferts. Interesting. I assume there will be a (J) and Diamond <J> type Service? 

The (A)(C)(R) and (W) are all running under Atlantic Avenue instead of Fulton Street Up until Hillside where, they’ll replace the (F)? The (E) and (K) I’m guessing, are running via Montague with the pne running to Bay Ridge and the other via Myrtle Avenue. Cranberry now has 4 tracks instead of 2 and there is a Branch at Woodhaven for trains to run via RBB. Howard Beach, JFK is set up as a terminal with relay tracks. 

The (7) and (G) run via Astoria to Ditmars and the (N)(Q)(R) and (W) run via what appears to be a Flushing Trunk with a Branch to WhiteStone. I’m also going to make the assumption that Astoria has a Yard and that Queensboro Plaza is kinda set up with a complex Junction system similar to Broadway Junction. 

The 63rd Street Tunnel does not exist and in its place is a 4 track 53rd Street tunnel. The (E)(F)(K) and (M) (Or (V)). I’m assuming that west of 5th Avenue/53rd Street is a Flying Junction similar to Columbus Circle. Mind if I ask if The Archer Avenue Lines are dull bi level or single level?  

The (G) train is rerouted via The BQE and Bedford Avenue to match its original proposal up until Prospect Park?!? Then rerouted via Fort Hamilton Parkway?!?!?! And 36th Street/4th Avenue I assume will have more platforms/levels and an even bigger Flying Junction?!?! That’s crazy, but also genuis!

Also. Triboro is built differently from its current priposal. Would this affect Amtrak (and soon Metro North) in this scenario? 

In this scenario, the "Fulton Line" actually replaces the eastern half of the Jamaica Line to Jamaica. Four tracks down Liberty never made much sense to begin with as there's not much there, whereas Jamaica is a major hub. Also, the Fulton El east of Broadway Junction did have a third track, so in this timeline there's no work to run a diamond (J) .

The Crosstown Line is never built in its current configuration, running from Astoria to Sunset Park as the (8) . The elevated tracks over FHP connect to the old Ditmars shuttle tracks. TBH i didn't think too hard about yards or placement of new stations. But let's say that if the terminal is at 36th that they end more at like 40th St next to the Gowanus, with a short passageway to 36 St. There is actually already a trackway and tracks there in this timeline.

The Triboro is built in the '60s and '70s and is two separated B Division tracks from Yankee Stadium to Bay Ridge. As an unfortunate result, freight is removed from the Hell Gate Bridge, back when the freight railroads were declining. There is more talk of seriously building a freight connection either via the harbor directly to Brooklyn or via the former North Shore Line to restore freight access to Long Island, but there is also talk of removing LIRR from the jurisdiction of the FRA entirely by separating it from the national rail network. Metro North has a station at 149-GC as well.

Both Hillside and Archer are four tracks. I made a mistake, the Hillside Line has the same express-local pattern that exists today, just with a Broadway local and an Eighth express.

Other things I considered in making this map but I wasn't sure if I would've been carried away:

• A 14th St Line branch to Flatbush Junction, making all stops. If this was on the map, the Triboro would be express from Junius-Livonia to Flatbush Junction.
  • Myrtle reconnecting with itself at Jackson Heights, forming a 6 shape similar to the London Circle Line or Tokyo Oedo Line. The Triboro RX makes no stops between Middle Village and Jackson Heights under this scenario.
Edited by bobtehpanda

I Would Extend the (M) and (R) to Floral Park and (7) to Bayside and Little Neck.

(B) underneath Fordham Rd to Co-Op City

(D) underneath E Gun Hill Rd to Co-Op City

(J) and (Z) extension to Laureton

(Q) Extension to Co-Op City underneath a new tunnel between Manhattan and Bronx, Third Avenue and E Gun Hill Rd.