OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

2 minutes ago, 7-express said:

If you register both cards on OMNY.info, there's an option that lets you transfer funds between cards.

OK great how do to that?  I asked the rep and they said "they don't know".  You bought 2 OMNY cards?  I appreciate your help.  The OMNY site didn't even mention how to "transfer" the balance.  That is not good for customers that are looking to transfer their own balance.

Edited by mikecintel

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mikecintel said:

OK great how do to that?  I asked the rep and they said "they don't know".  You bought 2 OMNY cards?  Thanks for the Info.

I have two cards, one that I'm just keeping as a souvenir and one that I'm actively using.  Under Wallet, click on a card and under Details is the option to transfer value between cards.

6 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I have two cards, one that I'm just keeping as a souvenir and one that I'm actively using.  Under Wallet, click on a card and under Details is the option to transfer value between cards.

Oh thank you so much!.  Thanks for the info.  You have no idea how you saved me a lot of time because I been calling the rep and the keep saying the famous line "I don't know".  Maybe you should be a OMNY rep so you can help people.  I think I will buy another OMNY card this week because I already started using my credit card and it started the tracking for the $33 unlimited thing.  I don't want to "waste that" at all.  Thanks again for the help :rock:

Edited by mikecintel

38 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Funny. I don't see such an option in my OMNY account.

You have 2 cards too?  I have to see it when I buy it this week.  Still searching and no dice. Oh well.  Probably when I buy the replacement it will popup somehow and then that will be a "backup card" then.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You mean two OMNY cards? No.

Yes I mean two OMNY card sorry.  The reason I said that because you said "Funny. I don't see such an option in my OMNY account".  That is why I said that.  Well when I do buy OMNY card I will post the results any if I can really transfer the balance.

Edited by mikecintel

Just now, mikecintel said:

Yes I am two omny card sorry.  The reason I said that because you said "Funny. I don't see such an option in my OMNY account".  That is why I said that.  Well when I do buy OMNY card I will post the results any if I can really transfer the balance.

I have several cards linked to my OMNY account, but I don't see such an option, hence my confusion.

Hi Everyone,

I just bought my "replacement OMNY card".  I still can't find my old OMNY card that I purchased in March.  I am sure one day I will find it somehow.  Anyway after I purchased it I went into my OMNY account and then now there are two cards.  So the old one I suspended it already.  I click on the suspended card and where it says View balance history below that it says "Transfer Value".  When I click on transfer value it states "Transfer can ONLY occur between OMNY cards that are already linked to your account.  If you've lost or damaged your OMNY card you can replace it via the manage menu in your OMNY card details.  Below that paragraph it says What OMNY card would you like to transfer too?  OMNY card number and then below it says How much would you like to transfer? (Max transferable  amount: How much on your previous card.  For me it would be $33 I have on the suspended card.

So what the Customer Service was wrong. They keep on saying you have to call us to transfer your balance because you will not be able to transfer the balance on your end.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and Enjoy your Memorial Day!

Edited by mikecintel

HI Everyone,

Now it is June and I was wondering why aren't the reduce fare OMNY card arrived.  I called the OMNY customer service and they said it will be LATER at the END OF THE YEAR that you will get it. The rep told me it will be email and you have a choice of Going to the MTA customer service at Bowling Green to pick up the Reduce Fare OMNY card OR it can be mailed to your house.

The rep said customer that are seniors have reduce Metro Card can use OMNY now and the rep said when you go to the OMNY.info click on the digital assistance and and then click on "Switch from Reduce-Fare Metro Card to OMNY".  Then it will ask you to put in OMNY account email address and password.  After you put in all of that it say "Thanks xxx (your name) I'm happy to help you switch from Reduce-Fare MetroCard to OMNY"  Then it says Now, let's activate your Reduce-Fare membership with OMNY.  Can you provide your Reduce-Fare ID number?  It's found on the back of your MetroCard, below your name.  Then you enter your ID number and then the date of birth.  After everything is filled out it will says "Thank you, xxx. Currently, Reduced-Fare can be applied to a contactless debit/credit card or smart device (e.g. phone, watch) of your choice. For more information, please visit our Reduced-Fare page (opens in a new tab). Note that once you select a card or device, you must use this payment method to receive your Reduced-Fare benefit.

Then it will say below:

To which payment type would you like to apply your Reduced-Fare membership?
Digital Wallet on my smart devices (phone, watch, etc)
Contact less personal credit/debit card
I'd rather wait for an OMNY card (available later this year)

After you put in the credit/debit card it will be add to your OMNY account so the card that is link to the debit or credit card can be use for reduce fare.

45 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

HI Everyone,

Now it is June and I was wondering why aren't the reduce fare OMNY card arrived.  I called the OMNY customer service and they said it will be LATER at the END OF THE YEAR that you will get it. The rep told me it will be email and you have a choice of Going to the MTA customer service at Bowling Green to pick up the Reduce Fare OMNY card OR it can be mailed to your house.

The rep said customer that are seniors have reduce Metro Card can use OMNY now and the rep said when you go to the OMNY.info click on the digital assistance and and then click on "Switch from Reduce-Fare Metro Card to OMNY".  Then it will ask you to put in OMNY account email address and password.  After you put in all of that it say "Thanks xxx (your name) I'm happy to help you switch from Reduce-Fare MetroCard to OMNY"  Then it says Now, let's activate your Reduce-Fare membership with OMNY.  Can you provide your Reduce-Fare ID number?  It's found on the back of your MetroCard, below your name.  Then you enter your ID number and then the date of birth.  After everything is filled out it will says "Thank you, xxx. Currently, Reduced-Fare can be applied to a contactless debit/credit card or smart device (e.g. phone, watch) of your choice. For more information, please visit our Reduced-Fare page (opens in a new tab). Note that once you select a card or device, you must use this payment method to receive your Reduced-Fare benefit.

Then it will say below:

After you put in the credit/debit card it will be add to your OMNY account so the card that is link to the debit or credit card can be use for reduce fare.

With the software issues they are STILL encountering, they'll be lucky to have this completed this year. My OMNY card was working great until recently. I can not view any of the trips I took, nor activity on the card in terms of what I was charged. Put in a ticket, but I don't have much hope of them fixing this problem.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

With the software issues they are STILL encountering, they'll be lucky to have this completed this year. My OMNY card was working great until recently. I can not view any of the trips I took, nor activity on the card in terms of what I was charged. Put in a ticket, but I don't have much hope of them fixing this problem.

That happened to me too last week.  I called up customer service and they told me they were "upgrading" the system and by the end of Friday it will be updated. Then you should see all your transactions and trips taken.  The rep told me the software does keep track of it but it will be "delayed" showing in the system because they are in the process of "upgrading" to have more features and that is why sometimes you don't see the charges.  I think the MTA should be a "status" in front of the OMNY.info homepage so that user can see if the system is working or not.

33 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

That happened to me too last week.  I called up customer service and they told me they were "upgrading" the system and by the end of Friday it will be updated. Then you should see all your transactions and trips taken.  The rep told me the software does keep track of it but it will be "delayed" showing in the system because they are in the process of "upgrading" to have more features and that is why sometimes you don't see the charges.  I think the MTA should be a "status" in front of the OMNY.info homepage so that user can see if the system is working or not.

So can you see your trips and charges now? The rep. I spoke with the other claimed she could see my trips on her end. Two days later and the same nonsense... Luckily I can still reload the card.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So can you see your trips and charges now? The rep. I spoke with the other claimed she could see my trips on her end. Two days later and the same nonsense... Luckily I can still reload the card.

Yes I can see the charges now.  Oh I see there are still kinks in the system that has to be iron out.  Yes lucky you can still reload the card.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yup I noticed that too last week.  My balance was being tracked down correctly but trips weren't showing up in the history until this week.

8 hours ago, mikecintel said:

HI Everyone,

Then it will say below:

Thanks for the update.  This sounds like the soft rollout portion of the reduced-fare OMNY for seekers.  Unfortunately, it likely won't be of much use for my parents to switch to OMNY until the actual card becomes available, which I'm guessing won't be available until around the holidays.

9 hours ago, 7-express said:

Thanks for the update.  This sounds like the soft rollout portion of the reduced-fare OMNY for seekers.  Unfortunately, it likely won't be of much use for my parents to switch to OMNY until the actual card becomes available, which I'm guessing won't be available until around the holidays.

I guess this would be a "soft launch" for the reduce fares?  If your parents has a credit/debit card they can switch to OMNY but you would have to go to the digital assistant to switch it.  I did ask the rep yesterday and I said my parents did sign up for the OMNY card that the MTA will send them out FREE to the reduce fares customers and if they use their credit card for OMNY now, will the MTA still send him the OMNY card for senior reduce fare and the rep says yes they WILL STILL SEND OUT the OMNY card because they already sign up for it (I spoke to 2 reps and they said the same thing).  So your parents can technically use their credit or debit card until the MTA OMNY card arrives and they don't have to use their Metro Card.  They started the OMNY reduce fares on June 1, 2022 so it is fairy new for the reduce fares customers.  They said at the end of the year but I asked them what month and they don't know yet.  Most likely 'I think" it will be like in October of this year because the original OMNY cards were out in October of last year.  Also forgot to mention that the after 12 rides and it will be FREE for the same week will apply to reduce fares customers.  I am looking forward to see what the MTA says about the monthly OMNY this month because they said at the of June which this they will make a determination to see what happens going forward.  I am pretty sure they will have the OMNY monthly coming soon like by next month or by the fall or the end of the year. Well in Sept there will be another OMNY update for the MTA board meeting.  I guess we will find out soon.

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

I guess this would be a "soft launch" for the reduce fares?  If your parents has a credit/debit card they can switch to OMNY but you would have to go to the digital assistant to switch it.  I did ask the rep yesterday and I said my parents did sign up for the OMNY card that the MTA will send them out FREE to the reduce fares customers and if they use their credit card for OMNY now, will the MTA still send him the OMNY card for senior reduce fare and the rep says yes they WILL STILL SEND OUT the OMNY card because they already sign up for it (I spoke to 2 reps and they said the same thing).  So your parents can technically use their credit or debit card until the MTA OMNY card arrives and they don't have to use their Metro Card.  They started the OMNY reduce fares on June 1, 2022 so it is fairy new for the reduce fares customers.  They said at the end of the year but I asked them what month and they don't know yet.  Most likely 'I think" it will be like in October of this year because the original OMNY cards were out in October of last year.  Also forgot to mention that the after 12 rides and it will be FREE for the same week will apply to reduce fares customers.  I am looking forward to see what the MTA says about the monthly OMNY this month because they said at the of June which this they will make a determination to see what happens going forward.  I am pretty sure they will have the OMNY monthly coming soon like by next month or by the fall or the end of the year. Well in Sept there will be another OMNY update for the MTA board meeting.  I guess we will find out soon.

Probably still not worth it yet since they're on a transit benefits account without a contactless option for now.  The official reduced-fare OMNY would be the best way to go so waiting to fall is likely the best solution.

10 hours ago, 7-express said:

Yup I noticed that too last week.  My balance was being tracked down correctly but trips weren't showing up in the history until this week.

When did your trips start to re-appear again? I still cannot see them. I may try clearing the cache on ALL of my devices to see if that helps. For a while I could not see the charges either, but that has come back. The trips are important because I am sure that I was overcharged, as there were charges on days I was not traveling. 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When did your trips start to re-appear again? I still cannot see them. I may try clearing the cache on ALL of my devices to see if that helps. For a while I could not see the charges either, but that has come back. The trips are important because I am sure that I was overcharged, as there were charges on days I was not traveling. 

I checked on Tuesday and all my trips from last week showed up (after no updates at all all of last week).  I checked again today and all my trips from this week were there.  This was me checking on two different computers.

4 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I checked on Tuesday and all my trips from last week showed up (after no updates at all all of last week).  I checked again today and all my trips from this week were there.  This was me checking on two different computers.

Crazy. Before they were delayed, but I keep this "oops" message and to refresh the page. The ticket that was created was from Tuesday, so it should be fixed by now.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Crazy. Before they were delayed, but I keep this "oops" message and to refresh the page. The ticket that was created was from Tuesday, so it should be fixed by now.

The oops thing might indeed be a cache thing on your side.  I just checked now and all of my trips show up fine.

9 minutes ago, 7-express said:

The oops thing might indeed be a cache thing on your side.  I just checked now and all of my trips show up fine.

Ugh... It probably is. Gonna have to clear the cache on everything. No dice so far, even after clearing the cache.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8