OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

22 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have this problem which I am not complain but I want to know if it happens to other people.  The thing is it "credits" me back sometimes when I pay the fare does anyone know why and there one time it took "$0.50 cent only" when I paid the fare.  Below is what happened:

Mar. 8, 2022   Personal funds   Trip Payment  -$2.75  $22.00

Mar. 8, 2022  Personal funds  Credit  $2.75   $24.75

Mar. 8, 2022  Personal funds  Credit  $2.75  $27.50

Mar. 8, 2022 Personal funds  Credit  $2.75  $30.25

Mar. 8, 2022  Personal funds Trip Payment   -$2.75   $27.50

Mar. 9, 2022   Personal funds   Trip Payment  -$2.75  $8.25

Mar. 9, 2022  Personal funds  Trip Payment  -$2.75  $5.50

Mar. 9, 2022  Personal funds  Trip Payment  -$0.50  $5.00

Mar. 9, 2022  Personal funds  Trip Payment  -$2.25  $2.75

Mar. 14, 2022  Personal funds  Trip Payment  -$2.75  $24.75

Mar. 14, 2022  Personal funds   Credit   $2.75   $27.50

Mar. 14, 2022  Personal funds  Trip Payment  -$2.75   $24.75

This is very interesting IF you are using the OMNY card tough because when I used my credit card before I purchase the OMNY card it never happen like this.

I had that happen when they screwed up and charged me various amounts and I eventually had to cancel my card to stop the random charges from happening. You may need to do the same. You need to call OMNY and get them to explain.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I had that happen when they screwed up and charged me various amounts and I eventually had to cancel my card to stop the random charges from happening. You may need to do the same. You need to call OMNY and get them to explain.

I called OMNY and I spoke to the rep and the reason why they "credit" me is because there was an error on the machines end and it can be doubled tap (which I did not) or some other issues and the machine automatically "refund" the amount to you.  The $0.50 charge is because there was a trip that needs $2.75 but I didn't have $2.75 on the card so they took the money from  another trip for $0.50 cent and then "split the payment" and so that is why I see a $0.50 cent charge.  I asked the rep was there random charging and she said no your account is fine and there is no random charge on your card don't worry.  Then I asked her a question about the "Auto-Gate" and if I use my OMNY card to open the gate will I be charge $2.75 and the rep did not know.  BTW the rep said when you tap your card it will take 2 hrs for OMNY to show up in the system and it doesn't "immediately" take the funds out.  I tried the "Auto Gate" today to see how it works.  I just hold my  OMNY card and it says "Go" and the gate opens.  That is good because of COVID now who wants to touch anything now a days.  Will update if there is an answer about the Auto Gate.

Edited by mikecintel

4 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

I called OMNY and I spoke to the rep and the reason why they "credit" me is because there was an error on the machines end and it can be doubled tap (which I did not) or some other issues and the machine automatically "refund" the amount to you.  The $0.50 charge is because there was a trip that needs $2.75 but I didn't have $2.75 on the card so they took the money from  another trip for $0.50 cent and then "split the payment" and so that is why I see a $0.50 cent charge.  I asked the rep was there random charging and she said no your account is fine and there is no random charge on your card don't worry.  Then I asked her a question about the "Auto-Gate" and if I use my OMNY card to open the gate will I be charge $2.75 and the rep did not know.  I tried the "Auto Gate" today to see how it works.  I just hold my  OMNY card and it says "Go" and the gate opens.  That is good because of COVID now who wants to touch anything now a days.  Will update if there is an answer about the Auto Gate.

You must be talking about those OMNY readers that are next to the gates that open if you have something with you that can't get through the turnstile. Yeah, that makes sense. I've seen them a few times when I have used the subway, but never needed it.  I just tap at the turnstile or at one of the HEETs.

That's also interesting about you being short on one ride. In other words, the reader allowed you to go, even though you were short $0.50. Interesting.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You must be talking about those OMNY readers that are next to the gates that open if you have something with you that can't get through the turnstile. Yeah, that makes sense. I've seen them a few times when I have used the subway, but never needed it.  I just tap at the turnstile or at one of the HEETs.

That's also interesting about you being short on one ride. In other words, the reader allowed you to go, even though you were short $0.50. Interesting.

Yes I am talking about those OMNY readers next to the gates and I tried one today at Broadway Lafayette St transferring the 6 trains because there was a problem with the B line. I went and try to see if it opens or what not and then it opens.  I don't like using the HEETs because sometimes you don't know which way it turns to go it.  One time I was using that and it was pre OMNY days I turned to the wrong side and later I turn back to the right side I "had to pay" another $2.25 (back in the days ahhh memories)  because it through I went through the gates UGH!.  Is there an acronym for HEETs?  I never new what are HEET's until I google up that word LOL.  As for as the short on one ride I didn't know because when you "tap" the reader all it says is "GO".  Yes that is very interesting. I really hope they can "upgrade" the firmware on the readers when it is fully using OMNY so when it says "GO" it also displays the balance underneath the GO sign like  you have with the Metro Card turn stiles they have now (It displays how much was taken out and what the balance left with).  Toronto TTC has it already as they have upgraded their software to display that.  The last time I went to Toronto in 2019 they didn't have that feature and they have it like OMNY where it says GO or Proceeded.  Just last year I think October or November they upgraded there system with it.  The rep didn't call me back yet and I don't plan for them to call me at all.  Oh well....

Edited by mikecintel

12 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Yes I am talking about those OMNY readers next to the gates and I tried one today at Broadway Lafayette St transferring the 6 trains because there was a problem with the B line. I went and try to see if it opens or what not and then it opens.  I don't like using the HEETs because sometimes you don't know which way it turns to go it.  One time I was using that and it was pre OMNY days I turned to the wrong side and later I turn back to the right side I "had to pay" another $2.25 (back in the days ahhh memories)  because it through I went through the gates UGH!.  Is there an acronym for HEETs?  I never new what are HEET's until I google up that word LOL.  As for as the short on one ride I didn't know because when you "tap" the reader all it says is "GO".  Yes that is very interesting. I really hope they can "upgrade" the firmware on the readers when it is fully using OMNY so when it says "GO" it also displays the balance underneath the GO sign like  you have with the Metro Card turn stiles they have now (It displays how much was taken out and what the balance left with).  Toronto TTC has it already as they have upgraded their software to display that.  The last time I went to Toronto in 2019 they didn't have that feature and they have it like OMNY where it says GO or Proceeded.  Just last year I think October or November they upgraded there system with it.  The rep didn't call me back yet and I don't plan for them to call me at all.  Oh well....

"HEET" is the abbreviation for "High Entry-Exit Turnstile", referring to the floor-to-ceiling design of the turnstile. I prefer that they keep it with GO. I can keep track of my balance by checking online.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

"HEET" is the abbreviation for "High Entry-Exit Turnstile", referring to the floor-to-ceiling design of the turnstile. I prefer that they keep it with GO. I can keep track of my balance by checking online.

OK I see thanks for the explanation.  OK  about the Go. Yes that is true you can keep track of your balance by checking online.  I understand what you are talking about and like in the previous post you said it will slow down or something if it does that.   But for the "convince" if the balance is there people with no computers or don't know how to use one ( I am talking about elders) can see it immediately.  I work in I.T and I deal with elder people all the time and they don't even know how to use the computers at all.  In fact I was speaking to an elder about OMNY and they were asking me about OMNY for reduce fares and they were asking me when they tap on the reader does it show the balance just like with the Metro Card when they swipe at the turnstile.  I said right now no they don't but maybe one day they will show it who knows.  I said to them you will have to wait for your turn to get the OMNY card for seniors because they are still working on it or they are working out the "kinks" out to make sure it properly it works.  That is the reason why I said I hope the MTA has that in the future.

11 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

OK I see thanks for the explanation.  OK  about the Go. Yes that is true you can keep track of your balance by checking online.  I understand what you are talking about and like in the previous post you said it will slow down or something if it does that.   But for the "convince" if the balance is there people with no computers or don't know how to use one ( I am talking about elders) can see it immediately.  I work in I.T and I deal with elder people all the time and they don't even know how to use the computers at all.  In fact I was speaking to an elder about OMNY and they were asking me about OMNY for reduce fares and they were asking me when they tap on the reader does it show the balance just like with the Metro Card when they swipe at the turnstile.  I said right now no they don't but maybe one day they will show it who knows.  I said to them you will have to wait for your turn to get the OMNY card for seniors because they are still working on it or they are working out the "kinks" out to make sure it properly it works.  That is the reason why I said I hope the MTA has that in the future.

Keep in mind that there will be OMNY machines down the road, so I suspect that you'll be able to "tap" your OMNY card in a subway station and see your balance, just as you can with the Metrocard machines that show you your balance. My issue with showing the balance is with the OMNY readers, the screens are big, so any personal info can be seen by whoever is nearby. With the Metrocard machines, the screen was small enough to where you can really only see it and maybe another person that is behind you.

That said, I did need to check my balance while commuting once because I had loaded some money onto it via the OMNY website and forgot what I had on it and the website was not working for a bit, so that put me in a bit of a bind. Eventually almost halfway through the trip, the website came up again. Generally, the only time I've found it down is when they are doing work on it, and that is usually at odd hours, but you can be traveling late at night too and need to refill or something, so I try to cognizant to refill at home. However, it's tricky because I'm not traveling as much, and only decide the day of what mode of transit I'm using. Some days I buy a CityTickets for Metro-North and others I may do a mix. All depends on what is going on. I prefer to just load enough on my OMNY card for a few days at a time max, just in case there's an issue w/the card, I'm not stuck with a large amount on it. Being that you can reload the card whenever, it makes it very convenient to just load enough for a day or two of travel, so for me that means adding something like $30.00, which gives me four express bus rides, and a little extra for a subway ride or something if needed.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Keep in mind that there will be OMNY machines down the road, so I suspect that you'll be able to "tap" your OMNY card in a subway station and see your balance, just as you can with the Metrocard machines that show you your balance. My issue with showing the balance is with the OMNY readers, the screens are big, so any personal info can be seen by whoever is nearby. With the Metrocard machines, the screen was small enough to where you can really only see it and maybe another person that is behind you.

That said, I did need to check my balance while commuting once because I had loaded some money onto it via the OMNY website and forgot what I had on it and the website was not working for a bit, so that put me in a bit of a bind. Eventually almost halfway through the trip, the website came up again. Generally, the only time I've found it down is when they are doing work on it, and that is usually at odd hours, but you can be traveling late at night too and need to refill or something, so I try to cognizant to refill at home. However, it's tricky because I'm not traveling as much, and only decide the day of what mode of transit I'm using. Some days I buy a CityTickets for Metro-North and others I may do a mix. All depends on what is going on. I prefer to just load enough on my OMNY card for a few days at a time max, just in case there's an issue w/the card, I'm not stuck with a large amount on it. Being that you can reload the card whenever, it makes it very convenient to just load enough for a day or two of travel, so for me that means adding something like $30.00, which gives me four express bus rides, and a little extra for a subway ride or something if needed.

Oh yes you are right the vending machines.  I see you do have a point though about personal information can be seen by other people if they are close to you and overlook at the screen and the screen is large.  I see about loading the amount that is just enough which makes sense.  Since I am still doing remote work and going back into the office part of the time I load $132.00 just for the $33.00 a week.  With this method it is just like $5 more like the 30 days unlimited for $127.00 for the Metro card.  $5 more for the whole month for $33 is not that bad. $33.00x 4 weeks= $132.00.

Looks like they're gearing up to roll out the Reduced-Fare OMNY to interested parties in the coming months.  My parents just got an email about it, which asked interested reduced-fare customers to fill out a form to stay updated on the spring rollout.  It also asked to spread the word to other folks interested in being part of the initial rollout.

Link here: https://reducedfare.mta.info/registration/

12 hours ago, 7-express said:

Looks like they're gearing up to roll out the Reduced-Fare OMNY to interested parties in the coming months.  My parents just got an email about it, which asked interested reduced-fare customers to fill out a form to stay updated on the spring rollout.  It also asked to spread the word to other folks interested in being part of the initial rollout.

Link here: https://reducedfare.mta.info/registration/

Did you parents ever sign up for the notification?  I had to sign my parents up for that notification to come.  It has different choice and below are the choices:

Interested in OMNY?

We are getting ready to start rolling out the OMNY fare payment program for Reduced-Fare customers. Are you interested in being one of the first Reduced-Fare customers to tap and go with OMNY? Let us know by checking this box and selecting the payment method you think you'd like to use with OMNY. We'll be reaching out throughout the spring with more details on how to make the move to OMNY.

Which payment method would you prefer to use with OMNY?

Which payment method would you prefer to use with OMNY? My contactless debit or credit card
Which payment method would you prefer to use with OMNY? My smartphone or watch
Which payment method would you prefer to use with OMNY? An OMNY card
Which payment method would you prefer to use with OMNY? I'm not sure (Learn more about contactless payments.)

I selected "Which payment method would you prefer to use with OMNY? An OMNY card"  I though they are going to send you can OMNY card but when I called MTA CS they told me it is just "information" only and not sending the card. I though that was strange.

Nope they didn't sign up to be notified about anything other than the usual EasyPay emails.  So it seems like the MTA is just trying to reach customers on record to see who wants to take part in the first wave of conversions.

They chose an OMNY card too but lets see what happens as spring progresses.  Probably another slowpoke rollout.

7 hours ago, 7-express said:

Nope they didn't sign up to be notified about anything other than the usual EasyPay emails.  So it seems like the MTA is just trying to reach customers on record to see who wants to take part in the first wave of conversions.

They chose an OMNY card too but lets see what happens as spring progresses.  Probably another slowpoke rollout.

I see.  I never do the Easy Pay so that I did not know.  Yes the MTA is trying to reach customers.  They said it's in April and let's see what happens then. Time will tell.

So I just learned that I can OMNY SBS buses by tapping like I do regular buses.

Question though: say (MTA) sends Eagle Teams or someone onto an SBS for fare enforcement. How do I prove I paid the SBS fare if I used my phone/watch or bank card if one of the Team Members ask?

48 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Question though: say (MTA) sends Eagle Teams or someone onto an SBS for fare enforcement. How do I prove I paid the SBS fare if I used my phone/watch or bank card if one of the Team Members ask?

There should be a OMNY reader but I haven't encounter that yet.  Do you have an account with OMNY?  If you do you can log into your OMNY account and go to "trips" and it will should you the time and the amount taken off the card.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

You would tap with whatever you used with OMNY. I tap with my OMNY card on the bus. I've been using the M34SBS here and there. If the Eagle Team does come, I would just tap my OMNY card when they came on with their readers. They're supposed to have them to verify payment. However, out of all of the SBS lines, I have never ever been checked on the M34. lol The M79 and M86 I have, but I have not used those in a while, especially the M86. Key word is supposed to. When I pay for my MNRR rides via e-ticket, some conductors have their scanners and some don't, so that means I get my ticket verified less than 50% of the time. I've been using my OMNY card now for several months and have yet to have it checked.

3 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

On an SBS route, do the sidewalk machines take OMNY ? 

No. Why would they? Once the Metrocard is gone, those sidewalk kiosks will be retired.  An expense that the (MTA) needs to do away with.  There are three OMNY readers on the buses.  Only problem is usually at least one is busted.  They need to get on top of that. The times that I have taken the M34, I have boarded, only to see that the reader I wanted to tap at is broken, so I have to walk to another one and tap. Not an issue on an empty bus, but very annoying if the bus is packed.

It seems like the reduced-fare OMNY is glitching.  My parents had registered their emails last week using the provided and got this follow-up email one week later stating that there was an incomplete reduced-fare MetroCard application:

Thank you for registering for a Reduced-Fare account!  Our records show that you have yet to submit a completed application.  Please complete the application process and submit it within the next seven days otherwise you may have to start a new application process.     
Please click on link below to resume your application:

Clicking on the link and entering in the required information brings me to a page where there are no other actions available.  Looks like their CRM is going a bit haywire...

15 hours ago, 7-express said:

It seems like the reduced-fare OMNY is glitching.  My parents had registered their emails last week using the provided and got this follow-up email one week later stating that there was an incomplete reduced-fare MetroCard application:

Clicking on the link and entering in the required information brings me to a page where there are no other actions available.  Looks like their CRM is going a bit haywire...

I got that too the email but it just ask to complete the verification form and entering the user birthday and and email address.  After I enter that was it nothing else more to do.

While today I am coming home from work. I got on my usual bus route to home and when I tap my OMNY card it says "Card Not Accepted".  There are no hold or negative balance at all.  Then I re-tap it again and it went through.  Did any one while using the OMNY card receive that message before on the bus or subway.  This is first time I receive this message.  While taking the subway taping on the reader I never had a problem before.  I am think it's on the bus OMNY reader that has a problem.  Also sometimes I tap on the reader going work on the bus and it says "Tap again" which I just hold my card in front of the reader and it says that.  Perhaps the NFC chip is not communicating correctly to the reader something. 

If there is a double charge which I am not concern about because using the MTA own OMNY card they care "refund you automatically" if they detect a double charge which is good unlike if I use the good old Metro Card pay per ride and I get double change and when  I call or email the MTA they said "no your card was double charged" but it was because I put it on a Excel Worksheet to calculate my rides and if there is a double charge I will know it.

54 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

While today I am coming home from work. I got on my usual bus route to home and when I tap my OMNY card it says "Card Not Accepted".  There are no hold or negative balance at all.  Then I re-tap it again and it went through.  Did any one while using the OMNY card receive that message before on the bus or subway.  This is first time I receive this message.  While taking the subway taping on the reader I never had a problem before.  I am think it's on the bus OMNY reader that has a problem.  Also sometimes I tap on the reader going work on the bus and it says "Tap again" which I just hold my card in front of the reader and it says that.  Perhaps the NFC chip is not communicating correctly to the reader something. 

If there is a double charge which I am not concern about because using the MTA own OMNY card they care "refund you automatically" if they detect a double charge which is good unlike if I use the good old Metro Card pay per ride and I get double change and when  I call or email the MTA they said "no your card was double charged" but it was because I put it on a Excel Worksheet to calculate my rides and if there is a double charge I will know it.

Yeah, I got something similar the other day. I was taking the subway.  Went to tap.  It wouldn't take it. Tapped again.  Same thing... I went to another reader. Same thing, so I went back to the other reader to tap and then finally it took it.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, I got something similar the other day. I was taking the subway.  Went to tap.  It wouldn't take it. Tapped again.  Same thing... I went to another reader. Same thing, so I went back to the other reader to tap and then finally it took it.

OK thanks for the update. Hmmm I have to see what happens. If this continues to have to this problem I will have to call OMNY customer service and what they say and I will post their answer on this forum to help other users that are having this problem.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, mikecintel said:

Ahh I had to tap in family and the 1st tap worked fine. But the second time I tapped for me it said the ride limit was exceeded. Definitely still needs to work out bugs.