OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

8 hours ago, IAlam said:

Ahh I had to tap in family and the 1st tap worked fine. But the second time I tapped for me it said the ride limit was exceeded. Definitely still needs to work out bugs. 

I think there still bugs..... yes. Did you call the OMNY customer service and report the problem them?  They can check on there end on the server "did you pass your ride limit and was it exceeded or not".  Like you said it should not say that but it always good to know what's going on the back end.  We don't access to that information . What did the driver do he/she let you and your family go like to sit on the bus or in the subway the agent let you go through the gates? 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, IAlam said:

Ahh I had to tap in family and the 1st tap worked fine. But the second time I tapped for me it said the ride limit was exceeded. Definitely still needs to work out bugs. 

The other thing that happens sometimes is if someone before you taps and you tap too fast, it won't recognize your tap. Definitely a bug. I try to wait a bit if it doesn't take my tap.

7 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I think there still bugs..... yes. Did you call the OMNY customer service and report the problem them?  They can check on there end on the server "did you pass your ride limit and was it exceeded or not".  Like you said it should not say that but it always good to know what's going on the back end.  We don't access to that information . What did the driver do he/she let you and your family go like to sit on the bus or in the subway the agent let you go through the gates? 

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The other thing that happens sometimes is if someone before you taps and you tap too fast, it won't recognize your tap. Definitely a bug. I try to wait a bit if it doesn't take my tap.

I tired again on my return trip it worked fine for both of us, so at that point I really didn't care anymore. As for speed that might have been the issue but who knows.

Senior Reduce Fare OMNY card info:

I just found out that the NEW Senior Reduce Fare OMNY card will not have a photo and it is below:

Q: I have been enjoying a reduced-price MetroCard with my picture on it since I’ve become a Senior. Will the new OMNY card also have my picture? — Margaret Gragossian

A: No, the new Reduced Fare OMNY card will not have your photo on it. Instead, your picture will be stored in the database and made available as needed to confirm that the cardholder is the intended user. – Amy Linden, Senior Director of Fare Payment Programs, New York City Transit

https://www.amny.com/transit/ask-the-mta-access-a-ride-metrocards-april-10-2022/

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

What does "made available as needed to confirm" mean in practical terms ? 

Good question.  I guess that means if the MTA needs to confirm if it's the actual person who is using their card the have it "internally" stored in the database and once they pull it up they will know if that is the real person using the card or not.  Just guessing.

Is there any set time on when PATH, Westchester and Nassau will get OMNY? To be honest I felt they all should have gotten it right after it finished rolling out for NYC buses and the subway because OMNY is useless for someone like myself who uses the MTA & NICE Bus. I honestly just want to tap tap tap and not have to worry about filling up a card just to use NICE bus routes.  

Edited by NewFlyer 230

5 hours ago, 7-express said:

Apparently the reduced-fare OMNY will not go live until the summer and will be in phases.  I guess the first official phase would be to the seekers who filled out that form they sent out last month.

https://gothamist.com/news/mtas-reduced-fare-customers-will-get-to-use-omny-this-summer

Thanks for the update.  I called the OMNY customer information to get more info and they keep saying "We don't know anything about OMNY for seniors" but later the rep had to research that and the rep found an email that was emailed today then she knew about it.  She told me that if you fill out the from the MTA will mail you directly the senior cards to your address and when they will release the OMNY for senior for reduce fares the rep said there is no set date as of now.

20 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Thanks for the update.  I called the OMNY customer information to get more info and they keep saying "We don't know anything about OMNY for seniors" but later the rep had to research that and the rep found an email that was emailed today then she knew about it.  She told me that if you fill out the from the MTA will mail you directly the senior cards to your address and when they will release the OMNY for senior for reduce fares the rep said there is no set date as of now.

With the next OMNY board meeting update coming in June, that will likely mark the full launch of reduced-fare OMNY, which just falls within the "spring" (aka Q2) deadline they publicly set. 

At the snails pace they're going, I doubt they'll get student OMNY of the ground in time for September beyond a pilot in a few schools.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Is there any set time on when PATH, Westchester and Nassau will get OMNY? To be honest I felt they all should have gotten it right after it finished rolling out for NYC buses and the subway because OMNY is useless for someone like myself who uses the MTA & NICE Bus. I honestly just want to tap tap tap and not have to worry about filling up a card just to use NICE bus routes.  

PATH will never get it per se. They will get something much like it, maybe inter-operable like the various EZ-Passes, yet not granting all the discounts to those outside of the area.  NICE is obviously holding back until MTA finishes stumbling over their own feet. Suffolk County Tranit - forget it. 

No photo on a OMNY Senior card, but on file. What is the point then ? Seeing if a cop happens to see a person looking too young using it ? My current PATH Smart card has my photo on it. What's the big deal ? 

On 4/11/2022 at 8:02 PM, 7-express said:

With the next OMNY board meeting update coming in June, that will likely mark the full launch of reduced-fare OMNY, which just falls within the "spring" (aka Q2) deadline they publicly set. 

At the snails pace they're going, I doubt they'll get student OMNY of the ground in time for September beyond a pilot in a few schools.

Yes I except there will be an update in June and after June the next will be at the end of the year December.  Yes about the student it will be very late.

• 3 weeks later...

https://transportation.westchestergov.com/omny

OMNY/Bee-Line

In May 2019, the MTA began the initial rollout of https://omny.info. This new fare payment system allows passengers to pay fares with a tap, using contactless debit, credit and reloadable prepaid cards; or smart devices equipped with a digital wallet app, such as smart phones, watches and other wearables. An OMNY card—a contactless transit card—will be introduced in later phases of the project: first at retail outlets and eventually at vending machines in subway and railroad stations.

OMNY is targeted for introduction on the Bee-Line Bus System beginning in 2023 at the earliest. MetroCard will continue to be accepted by New York City Transit subways and buses and Bee-Line service until mid-2024, enabling Bee-Line passengers to have the option of using MetroCard or OMNY during the transition phase. By the end of mid-2024, MetroCard will be discontinued and all Bee-Line passengers will then use OMNY. The Reduced-Fare MetroCard Program will also be converted over to OMNY.

Until Bee-Line begins accepting payments via the new system, OMNY fares cannot be recognized as valid transfers on the Bee-Line system. All Bee-Line passengers who regularly transfer to/from New York City Transit buses and subways should continue to use MetroCard until OMNY is officially introduced on the Bee-Line Bus System.

https://www.nicebus.com/Fares-Passes/Learn-more-about-fares-and-passes-(1)

WE DO NOT ACCEPT THE OMNY CARD YET....WE HOPE TO ADOPT IT SOON!

11 hours ago, MTAtrainandbusfan19 said:

Great it is coming.  Thanks for the post.  How did you find the OMNY page reduced fares?  It doesn't say on the MTA webpage for OMNY reduced fares.  If you just go to it didn't even say anything about OMNY reduced fares https://new.mta.info/fares/reduced-fare.

I must be blind and I can't find it. I guess for the next month board meeting we will know about the OMNY reduced fares.

58 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

does anyone know which stores have omny cards? i went to a couple of stores that is listed on the retail location which did not have the cards

Where you located if you don't mind tell us.  Not where you live.  If you are in Brooklyn at Brighton Beach the Walgreens there they have it.  That is where I bought my OMNY card.  Across from Walgreens at Brighton Beach the 7-Eleven they have LOT's of them but you have to pay cash and it can't be processed with a credit or a debit card.

1 hour ago, azspeedbullet said:

does anyone know which stores have omny cards? i went to a couple of stores that is listed on the retail location which did not have the cards

Call any 7/11 stores near you. They usually have them and know how to activate them. Bring cash. $5.00 for the card and $1.00 minimum to load the card so you can use it. You can reload it on the OMNY website later with a debit or credit card.

57 minutes ago, azspeedbullet said:

Long Island city

i went to two different 711, one on Thomson ave and the other on northern blvd. they have the cards in stock but are unable to activate it. They are unable to scan it on the register 

Hmmm.  You went to Walgreens and CVS besides 711 and they can't activated it?  What I would try is to "call ahead" of time to a different 711 or CVS or Walgreens near by you or another location to see if they have the cards and it they CAN activate first so your time is not wasted.  That is what I did before I went to Brooklyn Brighton Beach to get my OMNY card.