OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

The F5 is basically the short-drop or farebeater button. It essentially records the number of passengers that didn't pay the fare so while the agency may not be collecting any revenue, they are still recording the ridership that takes that particular run. From the ridership statistics, the agency can choose to add or decrease service. 

Ahhh ok thank you for clarifying.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They did, but that "other" comes up with I guess the software doesn't work properly as it should. For example, I tapped on an express bus, and it said "other" and only charged $2.75. Obviously an error somewhere.

That make sense.  If they left it at $2.75 for express bus that's good but eventually they will catch that error.

Had some interesting observations while using my OMNY card yesterday, particularly with transfers during and after work.

One instance involved me taking the M50 after work to the (E), which is one transfer automatically, however, as I got to Sutphin Blvd and connected with the Q41, I got another transfer.

Same thing happened with taking the (1), to the M10, which is already a transfer, then I walked over to Broadway to catch the M5 back down, and got another transfer.

Another instance involved buses only, the M2>M57, which is already one transfer, and then taking the M7 back down from Columbus Circle after a package dropoff....and another transfer!

I don't know if it's just my card or a system glitch, but I didn't peep this until after I got home and checked my balance....and noticed these transfers.

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Had some interesting observations while using my OMNY card yesterday, particularly with transfers during and after work.

One instance involved me taking the M50 after work to the (E), which is one transfer automatically, however, as I got to Sutphin Blvd and connected with the Q41, I got another transfer.

Same thing happened with taking the (1), to the M10, which is already a transfer, then I walked over to Broadway to catch the M5 back down, and got another transfer.

Another instance involved buses only, the M2>M57, which is already one transfer, and then taking the M7 back down from Columbus Circle after a package dropoff....and another transfer!

I don't know if it's just my card or a system glitch, but I didn't peep this until after I got home and checked my balance....and noticed these transfers.

Interesting....most likely it is a glitch and I think it will auto-correct itself one it detects it like for another trip it will have one transfer and then charge you back.  This won't be like in Canada where in Toronto and they have 2 hours transfer just like us and within that 2 hours transfer if you from the subway to street car and transfer to another street car and back subway within the 2 hours as a transfer or take the same bus or subway and they will NOT charge you at all.  The same thing in Vancouver Canada BC you have 90 minutes to transfer from Skytrain (Subway) to bus or to Seabus (Boat) within 90 minutes it will be treated as a transfer and will not charge you and if you take the same bus or subway back with the 90 minutes no charge at all.  I have been to both theses place and I love it on how there transfer system works.  If the (MTA)does change the transfer policy just like the Canada where within 2 hours if you transfer where you take the same bus or subway back within 2 hours I think everyone will like it and take the transit more and that will "encourage people to take transit".  I am positive that was a glitch.  But hey you never know if the MTA would change that because they are in the process of "adjusting" the nights and weekends for OMNY as I have posted before.  I always wishes that the (MTA) would change that transfer policy like Canada 2 hours for the OMNY but I doubt it.  I haven't encounter that yet.  But what you just encounter consider yourself "lucky" and you didn't have to pay the fare if it keeps "continuous" transferring you.

For what you saw on your account in OMNY is that within 2 hours of the transfer time?

Edited by mikecintel

21 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Interesting....most likely it is a glitch and I think it will auto-correct itself one it detects it like for another trip it will have one transfer and then charge you back.  This won't be like in Canada where in Toronto and they have 2 hours transfer just like us and within that 2 hours transfer if you from the subway to street car and transfer to another street car and back subway within the 2 hours as a transfer or take the same bus or subway and they will NOT charge you at all.  The same thing in Vancouver Canada BC you have 90 minutes to transfer from Skytrain (Subway) to bus or to Seabus (Boat) within 90 minutes it will be treated as a transfer and will not charge you and if you take the same bus or subway back with the 90 minutes no charge at all.  I have been to both theses place and I love it on how there transfer system works.  If the (MTA)does change the transfer policy just like the Canada where within 2 hours if you transfer where you take the same bus or subway back within 2 hours I think everyone will like it and take the transit more and that will "encourage people to take transit".  I am positive that was a glitch.  But hey you never know if the MTA would change that because they are in the process of "adjusting" the nights and weekends for OMNY as I have posted before.  I always wishes that the (MTA) would change that transfer policy like Canada 2 hours for the OMNY but I doubt it.  I haven't encounter that yet.  But what you just encounter consider yourself "lucky" and you didn't have to pay the fare if it keeps "continuous" transferring you.

For what you saw on your account in OMNY is that within 2 hours of the transfer time?

Yeah, except for the 3rd one. There's no three-legged transfers with the first two traditionally, which is why it caught me off guard.

23 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I wouldn't call these glitches per se.  On the Metrocard, there are some trips where they pretty much block you from taking say a bus Northbound and then one Southbound on one transfer. That's also the case with some express bus trips where you can't do a roundtrip on a Metrocard. I have found however that I get the transfer with OMNY regardless when taking a roundtrip, be it a local bus or an express bus, which is great since I am not traveling as much, so for quick trips in the City, it's great to pay $6.75 roundtrip. Same with any local bus trips at $2.75 roundtrip.  It also seems that the transfer time is either equal or longer than the Metrocard. I believe the transfer time is something like two hours and 18 minutes with a Metrocard, but it seems to be a tad longer with OMNY.  I did a trip one Saturday some months ago with the BxM2 down. Made a stop on the West Side, took a crosstown bus across tapping with another contactless card and then transferred to the BxM1 on the OMNY card I tapped for the BxM2 on back and it seemed as if I either just made the transfer time or slightly went over, but it still gave me that transfer.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Yeah, except for the 3rd one. There's no three-legged transfers with the first two traditionally, which is why it caught me off guard.

Yeah, the transfers they seem to be much more liberal with from my own experiences.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I see.  Too bad it is not like a three-legged or four legged transfer.  That would awesome IF the (MTA) did that.  If they did that for example I think everyone would be happy and take transit more.

Edited by mikecintel

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I wouldn't call these glitches per se.  On the Metrocard, there are some trips where they pretty much block you from taking say a bus Northbound and then one Southbound on one transfer. That's also the case with some express bus trips where you can't do a roundtrip on a Metrocard. I have found however that I get the transfer with OMNY regardless when taking a roundtrip, be it a local bus or an express bus, which is great since I am not traveling as much, so for quick trips in the City, it's great to pay $6.75 roundtrip. Same with any local bus trips at $2.75 roundtrip.  It also seems that the transfer time is either equal or longer than the Metrocard. I believe the transfer time is something like two hours and 18 minutes with a Metrocard, but it seems to be a tad longer with OMNY.  I did a trip one Saturday some months ago with the BxM2 down. Made a stop on the West Side, took a crosstown bus across tapping with another contactless card and then transferred to the BxM1 on the OMNY card I tapped for the BxM2 on back and it seemed as if I either just made the transfer time or slightly went over, but it still gave me that transfer.

Yeah, the transfers they seem to be much more liberal with from my own experiences.  

OK so the transfer not like in Canada what I expected buy hey if the OMNY transfer are a bit longer then Metrocard isn't that a plus?  If the (MTA)did announce about the transfers that are longer then Metrocard then everyone would jump on OMNY then.

My online dispute for the double charge went nowhere after a week.   So I gave the OMNY customer service line a call and had it all wrapped up in less than 5 minutes (including poking through the call menu).  So that was easier than I thought.

Though my online OMNY balance shows a ton of ride credits (more than just the one I disputed) so I'm not sure if something happened or this is just how it is until the system works and will reconcile it later.

4 hours ago, 7-express said:

My online dispute for the double charge went nowhere after a week.   So I gave the OMNY customer service line a call and had it all wrapped up in less than 5 minutes (including poking through the call menu).  So that was easier than I thought.

Though my online OMNY balance shows a ton of ride credits (more than just the one I disputed) so I'm not sure if something happened or this is just how it is until the system works and will reconcile it later.

Calling OMNY is faster on the web that's Great!  Give it a few days and see what happens to the credits.  If they don't correct don't worry about it and consider you are "lucky".

27 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Calling OMNY is faster on the web that's Great!  Give it a few days and see what happens to the credits.  If they don't correct don't worry about it and consider you are "lucky".

Yup calling seems way faster for now...funny because online was supposed to make it easier but it seems like it just sat in queue never to be looked at.

The credits disappeared a couple hours later and my balance is now correct again (+$2.75).  But I can see the debris of what they did in the system.  Seems like they had to cancel all my rides going backwards, cancel out the double tap, and then re-add everything back.  Seems byzantine to me but that's how it seems to work for now.

12 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Yup calling seems way faster for now...funny because online was supposed to make it easier but it seems like it just sat in queue never to be looked at.

The credits disappeared a couple hours later and my balance is now correct again (+$2.75).  But I can see the debris of what they did in the system.  Seems like they had to cancel all my rides going backwards, cancel out the double tap, and then re-add everything back.  Seems byzantine to me but that's how it seems to work for now.

Yes is is funny and  it is like going "backwards".  OK I see about the credit that disappeared.  Then it's the computer that does the "back end" has a problem then.  Yes I guess that is how it works and if there is a problem just call Customer service. 

I was looking at the CPC (Capital Program Committee Book) for May 23 which is tomorrow  and for June they were suppose to mention about OMNY and updates but now they have PUSHED it back till September 2022. RATS! Was looking forward to see what the NEW update would be.  Now I have to wait for 3 months for the update.  Oh well but it will be a blink of an eye and it will be September anyway:

II. Specific Agenda Items
June
Overall Capital Program
Rolling Stock
Security Projects
Quarterly Traffic Light Report

July
Overall Capital Program
 Stations

September - OMNY
Overall Capital Program
 Railroads
OMNY
October
Overall Capital Program
Infrastructure

November
Overall Capital Program
Signals and Train Control
Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Participation
Small Business Development Program

December
Overall Capital Program
Integrated Mega projects
Security Projects
Master Page # 10 of 75 - Capital Program Committee Meeting 5/23/2022

Year 2023

January
Overall Capital Program
Stations

February
Overall Capital Program
Railroads

March - OMNY
Overall Capital Program
B&T
Infrastructure
OMNY

April
Overall Capital Program
Signals and Train Control
Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Participation

May
Overall Capital Program
Integrated Mega projects
Master Page # 11 of 75 - Capital Program Committee Meeting 5/23/2022

On 5/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, N6 Limited said:

How do they determine the difference between a double tap, and someone paying for two people?

You would just tap for the amount of people you are paying for (the limit is four people, so obviously one for you and then three other people using one payment method). If you have more than four people, you would have to use another payment method for the remaining people (again up to four people).  Upon transferring, use the same payment method and there should be "X" amount of transfers available for whatever payment method was used (OMNY card, contactless debit or credit card, via cell phone (Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay)).  Pretty much the same way the Metrocard works.  You can only pay for multiple people if you have used the payment method previously, otherwise you can only pay for yourself (security feature) the first time.

To clarify you don't need to actually "tap" your card to pay. I saw a lady tapping her card on a contactless reader in a coffee shop I was in the other day and it was funny to watch because the reader wasn't picking up her card since she was literally tapping it on the reader. You just hold your contactless card over the OMNY reader (you don't need to touch the actual reader with your card). When it says "GO", you paid one fare.  Repeat the process to pay for the next person and that's it.  When it comes time to get the two transfers, hold the the same card over the reader and it should detect the two transfers.  Something that I thought was self explanatory... You can't mix and match cards for the transfers.  Use the same card you used originally to pay with to get the transfers.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Has anyone "misplaced their OMNY card"?  I just found out today that I misplaced the OMNY card.  On Friday (5/20/22) I was at the doctor office and when I came back home it is still there.  Saturday(5/21/22) I went to the city and when I came back home it is still there.   Today Sunday(5/22/22) when my mom wants to use the OMNY card it is not in my pocked. I checked everywhere it's not on the floor, car passenger seats, shirt pocket, pants.  Before I buy another OMNY card I just suspend my OMNY card.  I need to keep searching for the card because I don't to pay the MTA another $5.  If I do buy another OMNY card then it would be a total of $10 ($5 from the first OMNY purchase and this new one $5 to activate).

If I end up buying another OMNY card is there a method where you can transfer of what was left on your old OMNY balance to the new OMNY card without calling customer service?

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Has anyone "misplaced their OMNY card"?  I just found out today that I misplaced the OMNY card.  On Friday (5/20/22) I was at the doctor office and when I came back home it is still there.  Saturday(5/21/22) I went to the city and when I came back home it is still there.   Today Sunday(5/22/22) when my mom wants to use the OMNY card it is not in my pocked. I checked everywhere it's not on the floor, car passenger seats, shirt pocket, pants.  Before I buy another OMNY card I just suspend my OMNY card.  I need to keep searching for the card because I don't to pay the MTA another $5.  If I do buy another OMNY card then it would be a total of $10 ($5 from the first OMNY purchase and this new one $5 to activate).

If I end up buying another OMNY card is there a method where you can transfer of what was left on your old OMNY balance to the new OMNY card without calling customer service?

If your OMNY card is lost or stolen, you can contact OMNY customer service by calling 877.789.6669. If you have an OMNY account, you can deactivate the card by accessing your personalized dashboard. 

If your OMNY card is subsequently found and is not yet cancelled, you may continue using that card. If you have an OMNY account, your card can be reactivated by accessing your personalized dashboard or by contacting OMNY customer service again.

I don't see any option in my account for transferring funds, so you likely need to call OMNY about that to see what can be done (if anything).  You should keep your OMNY card in the same spot so you don't lose it.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If your OMNY card is lost or stolen, you can contact OMNY customer service by calling 877.789.6669. If you have an OMNY account, you can deactivate the card by accessing your personalized dashboard. 

If your OMNY card is subsequently found and is not yet cancelled, you may continue using that card. If you have an OMNY account, your card can be reactivated by accessing your personalized dashboard or by contacting OMNY customer service again.

I don't see any option in my account for transferring funds, so you likely need to call OMNY about that to see what can be done (if anything).  You should keep your OMNY card in the same spot so you don't lose it.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.  I have already suspended it on my OMNY account.  My OMNY card is always in my pants pocket and when I leave the subway or bus I always check if I left anything there.  I am not cancelling my current OMNY in case I find it.  OK I will call Customer service tomorrow and see what they say. Meanwhile I am going to use my credit card which I don't want and it only temporary.  I will try to find it for a week if I don't find it I will have to buy a new OMNY card and call customer service to transfer my balance from my first card.  I know the card is in the house because when I left the bus the card was still my pocket and when I got home it is still there.  It probably fell out or something and I didn't even hear it drop.  If I buy a new card I know I have to pay the activation fee of $5 but since I have a balance of $33 on my first card is there a way customer service can transfer that balance to the new card without paying $1 for it?  Hmmm going to ask customer service tomorrow and when I get an answer I will post what the customer service says so if anyone who runs into this problem like me (hopefully no one will run into this problem) they will know what the answer is.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

If I buy a new card I know I have to pay the activation fee of $5 but since I have a balance of $33 on my first card is there a way customer service can transfer that balance to the new card without paying $1 for it?  Hmmm going to ask customer service tomorrow and when I get an answer I will post what the customer service says so if anyone who runs into this problem like me (hopefully no one will run into this problem) they will know what the answer is.  Thanks!

That I don't know. Ask them tomorrow when you call. You should do that while you continue to look for the card.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, N6 Limited said:

How do they determine the difference between a double tap, and someone paying for two people?

At least in my case, it's pretty clear from my trip history that I'm taking the same commute that I always do.  It's probably not as clear for other folks.  I have a feeling this might be done in the same way returns are done at a retail store.  They'll just go ahead and refund you a few times, no questions asked.  But if there's a pattern of abuse developing, they'll dig into your account further and see if it violates the terms of service.

22 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Yes will do.  Will post the answer when I get the result from the rep.

So I called customer service today and they said that after you buy the new card call us back and we will transfer your balance on your old card to the new card that is your current OMNY card is registered with us.  The guy said it is $5 for the card and $1 to activate.  I asked him is there a way I can just pay $5 for the card and have you transfer the $33 to the new OMNY card and the guy said no and he said "There is no way to get around it".  He said after when you transfer it the total will be $34.  He also said if you CANCELLED the card and you find it you can't use it anymore because it is cancelled already.  You can suspend it until you find and when you find it just call us to reactivate it so you can use again.  Since there is no way to "transfer your balance to another OMNY card" I made a suggestion to the MTA to add that on the OMNY account website.  I hope they do add that ability to the website so we don't have to call OMNY customer service.  In fact I spoke to the rep and they said let me see if we can guide you through and she said "sorry we don't have a simulation screen of the OMNY account in the call center so we can't assist you".  That is shocking and it is horrible if a customer calls and you don't have access to the screens like a simulation then that means we have to "figure our selves" if there any problems on the OMNY account.  WOW unreal.

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

So I called customer service today and they said that after you buy the new card call us back and we will transfer your balance on your old card to the new card that is your current OMNY card is registered with us.  The guy said it is $5 for the card and $1 to activate.  I asked him is there a way I can just pay $5 for the card and have you transfer the $33 to the new OMNY card and the guy said no and he said "There is no way to get around it".  He said after when you transfer it the total will be $34.  He also said if you CANCELLED the card and you find it you can't use it anymore because it is cancelled already.  You can suspend it until you find and when you find it just call us to reactivate it so you can use again.  Since there is no way to "transfer your balance to another OMNY card" I made a suggestion to the MTA to add that on the OMNY account website.  I hope they do add that ability to the website so we don't have to call OMNY customer service.  In fact I spoke to the rep and they said let me see if we can guide you through and she said "sorry we don't have a simulation screen of the OMNY account in the call center so we can't assist you".  That is shocking and it is horrible if a customer calls and you don't have access to the screens like a simulation then that means we have to "figure our selves" if there any problems on the OMNY account.  WOW unreal.

I don't know why you are making a big deal about paying $1.00 to activate the card. You aren't losing it. It goes towards your balance. $5.00 for a card that is valid for seven years is very reasonable. The card is very durable if you keep it stored properly.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know why you are making a big deal about paying $1.00 to activate the card. You aren't losing it. It goes towards your balance. $5.00 for a card that is valid for seven years is very reasonable. The card is very durable if you keep it stored properly.

Hello,

I am not making a big deal I just want to know if it can transfer the balance from the old to the new card so it can be a $0 balance without paying $1 to make it $34 and on top I have to add money to make it a $0 balance that is all.  I know I am not losing it and it goes towards my balance. Yes for seven years it is very reasonable I agree.  Yes it is very durable just a credit card.

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Hello,

I am not making a big deal I just want to know if it can transfer the balance from the old to the new card so it can be a $0 balance without paying $1 to make it $34 and on top I have to add money to make it a $0 balance that is all.  I know I am not losing it and it goes towards my balance. Yes for seven years it is very reasonable I agree.  Yes it is very durable just a credit card.

If you register both cards on OMNY.info, there's an option that lets you transfer funds between cards.