Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

Just now, Fire Mountain said:

Since you bought up the Q51, ima just state my opinion on that route, I don’t know how routing it via the old Q9A (Q89) route would work either cause I don’t think a lot of people want a bus that travels from Cambria to Ozone and beyond anyways, and isn’t Green Acres way closer than Gateway Mall to most riders along Linden to begin with? 🤔 I think the 51 was another route they did not think very through regarding your points about the A, and mine about the malls….

What’s y’all opinion on this route?

Oh, and I bought up the old 89 since the 51 continues west via Linden past Merrick and beyond….

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/14/2023 at 10:24 AM, B35 via Church said:

The Q9 should be another option for a JFK - Jamaica route (over that of the Q3)... I still believe there to be latent demand for it to this day, but thanks the good ole AIRTrain (among other things), forget it....

The current Q3 to Lefferts AIRTrain is brutal... If you thought the thing was unreliable when it used to terminate at T4 & T5, maaaannnn.....

You’re 100% right about that. Ppl need something faster than the Q3. So they got a man less air train. Unless you don’t want raccoons prawling at you in the middle of the night, then I suggest that uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu………..,……….

The Q9 would have been the perfect catalyst for a Jamaica/JFK route, as it could have ended either at Federal Circle(although the Port Authority kiboshed that idea due to space at Federal Circle) or at Lefferts. The Q1 as it's currently planned out, if it would've went deeper into JFK to some extent and not go all the way to Braddock Avenue, I would've liked it. That could have also worked to some extent, but the current plan is just horrible all around for that line.

I feel like once the long-term construction at JFK is all done with, they'll do some changes. Both the MTA and the Port Authority have expressed desires of bringing buses back into the airport, but a decision has yet to be made as to where they will terminate at.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:51 AM, Fire Mountain said:

Since you bought up the Q51, ima just state my opinion on that route, I don’t know how routing it via the old Q9A (Q89) route would work either cause I don’t think a lot of people want a bus that travels from Cambria to Ozone and beyond anyways, and isn’t Green Acres way closer than Gateway Mall to most riders along Linden to begin with? 🤔 I think the 51 was another route they did not think very through regarding your points about the A, and mine about the malls….

It's the (MTA) 's way of "connecting the dots" I'm kinda surprised that this Q51 isn't ending in Elmont like Q4 does for a possible interline. Green Acres is closer to Linden patrons than Gateway and to a lesser extent Queens Center. It's the whole negate traveling through Jamaica or Flushing spiel

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

It's the (MTA) 's way of "connecting the dots" I'm kinda surprised that this Q51 isn't ending in Elmont like Q4 does for a possible interline. Green Acres is closer to Linden patrons than Gateway and to a lesser extent Queens Center. It's the whole negate traveling through Jamaica or Flushing spiel

Honestly, if the 52 and 53 SBS’ didn’t already go there, I could see the 51 heading west and north to the queens center mall via woodhaven rather south to gateway tbh. Don’t see many people taking this route over to gateway mall east of Rockaway Bl honestly. I can also see this route being not empty, but “not so full” (you know what I mean) at some portions of this route between Merrick Bl and rockaway Bl via linden

Edited by Fire Mountain

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

We don't even know what depots are getting what routes.

On 9/20/2023 at 6:09 AM, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, just shuttle buses running all over the place, due to all these G.O's....

The proposed Q57 is more direct than the current Q112 between the Lefferts branch & Jamaica.... However, the (A) to the proposed Q57 or the current Q112 to get to Jamaica isn't more direct than xferring at Broadway Junction for the (J) to Jamaica - regardless of how cumbersome the xfer from the lower level to the upper level is at that station.... The problem I'm having with your arguments has less to do their merits & more to do with how you're framing them..... Yes, options are great - just know that your preference & your perspective represents a minority.... You are, and have been, trying to paint the taking of the Lefferts branch to the proposed Q57 as if it would be more beneficial to the masses that are xferring at B'way Junction for the (J)..... That's the point of contention in this side discussion here....

It can be beneficial, depends on where the riders are going. 

On 9/21/2023 at 6:42 AM, Cait Sith said:

Not for nothing, but that is one of the worst comparisons you can make in regards to this. What we're talking about, and the (V) and (M) thing are two, very completely different scenarios.

The issue is that you're using your personal preference to paint a picture of what you think the majority would and/or should do, whereas with my viewpoints comes from personal experience dealing with the Q112 on an almost weekly basis. And, as of your latest response, you've basically come out and framed your idea as a you thing, and not what would actually benefit the masses. It's great if it helped you get around, but the mass majority would rather choose convenience over something like that.

And, lets be realistic, if people don't even take or even look at the Q112 as a viable alternative, what makes you think they'll suddenly swarm over to the not-so-different Q57?

That's cool that all of what you did worked out for you. Your experiences & preferences vs the average rider's experiences and preferences are very different in that regard, most of whom won't even follow your approach. Between you vs the average rider, you are in the minority of your own in this discussion.....and then somehow, you glossed over the fact that most (J) shuttle riders are looking for the stops along the stations they are looking for. Not everyone is looking to go to Jamaica.

If you had mentioned, lets say the Q8, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you, as I have seen people use the Q8 as an alternative to the (J) when the line was out(especially during the most recent outage, those Q8s were PACKED!)....but the Q57 is a really tough sell, especially as someone who deals with the current day Q112 on a weekly basis.

Here's how I look at it.

Say if you're coming from Jamaica during a Saturday afternoon, the (J) is out and there's shuttle buses. Who would actually want to deal with afternoon Liberty Avenue traffic on the Q57(which would take around 15-20 minutes to get from Jamaica to Lefferts Blvd because of the traffic) + a potential extra 20 minute wait for an (A) vs just hopping on the shuttle bus from where it starts from? Us transit fans can put up with different alternate routes and such regardless of time, but the average rider would not want to waste potentially 40 minutes of their day doing all of that, especially since it'll probably take about 20 minutes just to go less than 2 miles on the Q57 with traffic. On top of that, the proposed weekend headways is 20-30 minutes or better. That doesn't really ring a lot of confidence that it'll actually be better to me, and it also knocks your argument down a peg or two.

Right, I was not talking about local (J) riders as they are irrelevant to my point of the Q57.

As you’ve mentioned, the Q8 was packed during the (J) outage, the Q8 runs closer to the (A) , Connects to the (A), Connects to LIRR, runs along Jamaica Ave. Sounds like a proposed route. (Also the (A) wasn’t running past Euclid)

The Q112 routing sucks. The Q57 will get more just by it’s routing along Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Ave. I’m not saying it will be the default choice for Fulton St riders going to/from or east of Jamaica, but it will be another option.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:30 PM, B35 via Church said:

...and how I'm looking at this side discussion at hand is that, simply put, SE-ern Queens patrons/commuters in general are not trying to get to the (A).... I see it as straight up  wasteful to have either (and especially both) the proposed Q51 & proposed Q57 going about accomplishing that from their eastern end terminals....

Speaking as a Brooklynite, the (A) has long had a tendency to slog along in Brooklyn; particularly from Hoyt-Schermerhorn to Broadway Junction itself... I actually find the (C) to move at a better pace in Brooklyn than the (A) does.... In realizing that, I couldn't fathom a SE Queens resident abandoning a bus to the (J) to the (A), to ride out on that proposed Q57 to Lefferts, to put up with more of the (A)....

I said it once on here & I'll say it again... It's going to be a hard sell on the MTA's part to try to sell the (A) as an option for SE Queens patrons.

That’s the thing, why go to the (A) if it’s currently cumbersome to do so? The Q51 and Q57 will make it easier with potentially one transfer if you’re by Linden Blvd or Jamaica Ave.

The purpose of the Q51 is to be a crosstown route. It will connect many routes thereby opening trip options,  and allow transfers at Gateway to other Brooklyn routes. It will also allow many trip options to Gateway or Green Acres with one transfer, bypass congested Jamaica, and connect to the (A) 🙃.

Edited by N6 Limited

On 8/25/2023 at 11:41 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I believe Q78 usage from Green Arces would be alright because it would give Springfield Blvd and the immediate areas direct service to the mall. I don’t see ridership from the mall being higher than the Q5, and Q85 but the route will definitely take a few people off those routes and attract a few of its own. 

In my opinion I think the mall is a better place to terminate the Q78 rather than on Farmers Blvd in front of JFK depot but I could see the MTA’s planned route routing being beneficial to airport workers primarily.  
What I like about their existing plan is that the Q78 offers more transfers and fixes the issue of the Q27 and Q77 not doing enough for riders. 

Just something I realized but the MTA pretty much got away with cutting the Q77 to South Conduit & Springfield. It does not serve the stop on Springfield & 145rd in front of the school like it says on its map. Instead its first stop is with the Q85 in Springfield & North Conduit. It’s not a huge cut and I don’t think too many people care. 

As was previously mentioned, the Q78 southern terminus will help bring in employees to the local business in the area.  Itll bring in both employees and workers to the DMV....

Also the Q78 is proposed to serve the "discontinued southern terminus" on the Q77 ....

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Right, I was not talking about local (J) riders as they are irrelevant to my point of the Q57.

As you’ve mentioned, the Q8 was packed during the (J) outage, the Q8 runs closer to the (A) , Connects to the (A), Connects to LIRR, runs along Jamaica Ave. Sounds like a proposed route. (Also the (A) wasn’t running past Euclid)

The Q112 routing sucks. The Q57 will get more just by it’s routing along Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Ave. I’m not saying it will be the default choice for Fulton St riders going to/from or east of Jamaica, but it will be another option.

That’s the thing, why go to the (A) if it’s currently cumbersome to do so? The Q51 and Q57 will make it easier with potentially one transfer if you’re by Linden Blvd or Jamaica Ave.

The purpose of the Q51 is to be a crosstown route. It will connect many routes thereby opening trip options,  and allow transfers at Gateway to other Brooklyn routes. It will also allow many trip options to Gateway or Green Acres with one transfer, bypass congested Jamaica, and connect to the (A) 🙃.

So then your entire argument is basically useless if you're literally going to ignore the masses. This is the Merrick Blvd argument part II. No one traveling from Southeast Queens will benefit from a Q57 to the (A), as it will literally add more time to their commute compared to a shuttle bus(which will be much more direct than the Q57 to the (A) to begin with).

I mentioned the Q8 because it runs closer to the (J) and for a longer distance than the Q57(which will once again, be useless in comparison to the Q8). The Q24, Q54, Q55, Q56 and even the Q8 will benefit more people than the Q57 to the (A).

If it benefits you, cool. If it doesn't benefit the masses, you can toss that idea out the window. Especially since it won't benefit a large majority of people from Jamaica in terms of time.

Edited by Cait Sith

Yeah, I've also made that point (about the malls) before you became a member on here.... What I more or less said was that, the thing with the current Q8 is that there's a very low amount of Queens residents taking it to get to Gateway.... Vast majority of Q8 usage to/from Gateway Mall are Brooklyn residents..... So being that they're cutting the footprint of the Q8 in Brooklyn by having it run to New Lots (3) (which I can see riders along 101st benefiting from more, than service to Gateway Mall - similar to (but not to the extent of) how riders in the Rockaways take the Q35 to get to the (2)(5)), they're trying their hand at connecting another general collective of Queens residents to Gateway Mall.... Which on the surface seems noble - however, I still don't see enough SE Queens patrons taking the Q51 to Gateway.... Hell, I even foresee more SE Queens patrons taking it to get to the (A) over that of taking it to get to Gateway (which isn't saying much, being that I think both rider patterns would be quite low)......

9 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, it can beneficial for a minority of commuters.... That's not what's being contested here.

9 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yeah, why go to the (A) if it's currently cumbersome to do so - Especially when the (J) is less out of the way for SE Queens residents than the (A) is !

On top of that, if they're having all these red routes & purple routes in the SE Queens region drawn up with a purpose of getting to Jamaica area subways faster, why even consider the (A)?

What you're not opining on here, is to what extent would current commuters resort to passing up the (J), for the sake of avoiding Jamaica to get to the Lefferts line.... Sorry not sorry, but latent demand, trumps the notion of *possibilities* & *options*..... Throwing shit on a wall & hoping that it sticks isn't, or shouldn't be how we go about drumming up a bus network (not saying that you're exactly saying that, but I'm still making that point for the purpose of emphasis)..... Who are (as in, How many of) these people in SE Queens that's been vying for direct service to the (A) over the years - and especially for how long......

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, I've also made that point (about the malls) before you became a member on here.... What I more or less said was that, the thing with the current Q8 is that there's a very low amount of Queens residents taking it to get to Gateway.... Vast majority of Q8 usage to/from Gateway Mall are Brooklyn residents..... So being that they're cutting the footprint of the Q8 in Brooklyn by having it run to New Lots (3) (which I can see riders along 101st benefiting from more, than service to Gateway Mall - similar to (but not to the extent of) how riders in the Rockaways take the Q35 to get to the (2)(5)), they're trying their hand at connecting another general collective of Queens residents to Gateway Mall.... Which on the surface seems noble - however, I still don't see enough SE Queens patrons taking the Q51 to Gateway.... Hell, I even foresee more SE Queens patrons taking it to get to the (A) over that of taking it to get to Gateway (which isn't saying much, being that I think both rider patterns would be quite low)......

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. I don’t know exactly where I would place the 51 as far as west of Merrick Boulevard, but I most definitely think it will benefit riders if it ran east to Green Acres. Maybe if they terminate it at the Rockaway Station, despite how ridership May be low towards that area. It will be a better fit than to gateway in all honesty 🤷🏾‍♂️

Random thought: So I take the Q27 a lot (I’m actually on one right now as I type this), and I notice how the 27’s stay super frequent, so here’s my question? Who else thinks the 27 should just start running on articulated buses? I always see the 27’s bunched up during the day and not all of the time is it due to traffic.  It would be dope if they have the 27 start doing so once this redesign happens. If it stays in CP (which I hope it doesn’t), it could also help cause the 65s themselves always be crowded along CP Boulevard no matter the time of day 

Would say the same for the 17, but the only time that bus is crowded is between Main St and 188th and 30-40% of the time it be the kids getting out of school…

Edited by Fire Mountain

4 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

Random thought: So I take the Q27 a lot (I’m actually on one right now as I type this), and I notice how the 27’s stay super frequent, so here’s my question? Who else thinks the 27 should just start running on articulated buses? I always see the 27’s bunched up during the day and not all of the time is it due to traffic.  It would be dope if they have the 27 start doing so once this redesign happens. If it stays in CP (which I hope it doesn’t), it could also help cause the 65s themselves always be crowded along CP Boulevard no matter the time of day 

I agree the q27 should be artic but currently  I believe there are no plans to convert.

40 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

Would say the same for the 17, but the only time that bus is crowded is between Main St and 188th and 30-40% of the time it be the kids getting out of school…

The Q27 in its current form cannot be articulated because Queens Village Depot doesn't have the space for articulated buses.

A couple of days ago the question was asked about the Q51 and how we think it would do.

I’m surprised they actually want to make it an SBS route without seeing how it would do first. I don’t think its ridership will be too high but I don’t necessarily see it carrying air. I can see its ridership being broken up into segments but I can’t see too many people riding from one end of the route to the other. 
1st portion (Springfield Blvd to Sutphin Blvd via Linden).
From Linden Blvd in Cambria Heights and St Alban’s I see a lot of people transferring off the Q51 to buses that go to Jamaica like the Q3, Q5, Q6, Q111 and etc.

2nd portion (Sutphin Blvd to Rockaway Blvd (A) station).

I can also see a handful of people transferring off bus routes traveling from Jamaica traveling points west as a backup to the Q109 ((Q41)) and Q57 ((Q112)) . I also see it getting usage along Linden Blvd west of the Van Wyck to bus routes like the Q10, Q37 as well as to the (A) and routes on Cross Bay/Woodhaven Blvd. But I see it tanking at the subway station like the current Q41 does. 

3rd portion (Rockaway Blvd (A) to Gateway Mall).

I honestly don’t think too many people from Queens are interested in going to Gateway as most people go to Queens Center Mall and if you are in SE you go to Green Arces. Along the western portion of the route I see the route primarily being used by employees from the mall and those who are traveling local along that part of the route with ridership tanking at Rockway Blvd for the most part. Once again outside of a handful of people and a few employees, I don’t see buses being packed going to Gateway and the Q8 is proof that Queens residents aren’t too crazy about Gateway.  

The Q51 in my opinion should be nothing more than a limited if anything. I’m under the belief that there should be an east and west Linden Blvd route in Queens. I would have the eastern part remain as the Q4 but instead of the route heading up to Jamaica via Merrick Blvd I would have it run up Sutphin Blvd to the Sutphin/Hillside Ave making no stops along Sutphin Blvd except at Liberty Ave and 91st Ave. That would cover the part of Linden that currently has no service and would serve Jamaica much better than the old Q89 route. 

West of Sutphin Blvd the route can remain as the Q51 but I also believe that if there is a route running on Linden, I think it’s overkill having one on 109th Ave as well. The old Q41’s route gave the best of both worlds when it ran on 111th Ave, but I wonder how ridership was affect when the route was moved from 111th Ave to 109th Ave? 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

9 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

A couple of days ago the question was asked about the Q51 and how we think it would do.

That was me

I’m surprised they actually want to make it an SBS route without seeing how it would do first. I don’t think its ridership will be too high but I don’t necessarily see it carrying air. I can see its ridership being broken up into segments but I can’t see too many people riding from one end of the route to the other. 
From Linden Blvd in Cambria Heights and St Alban’s I see a lot of people transferring off the Q51 to buses that go to Jamaica like the Q3, Q5, Q6, Q111 and etc.

I see what you’re saying, but wouldn’t they just ride the Q4 if they wanna head to Jamaica? 🤔 

I can also see a handful of people transferring off bus routes from Jamaica traveling points west as a backup to the Q109 ((Q41)) and Q57 ((Q112)) . West of the Van Wyck I can see a lot of people heading to the   (A) and routes on Cross Bay/Woodhaven Blvd. 

Yeah, that could be useful to an extent…

I honestly don’t think too many people from Queens are interested in going to Gateway as most people go to Queens Center Mall and if you are in SE you go to Green Arces. Along the western portion of the route I see the route primarily being used by employees from the mall and those who are traveling local outside of the mall. 

Yeah that’s why I say the Q51 would be better off via Woodhaven to QCM, but the 52 and 53 already going there, so I was thinking just have the 51 terminate at the Rockaway Station

The Q51 in my opinion should be nothing more than a limited if anything. I’m under the belief that there should be an east and west Linden Blvd route in Queens. I would have the eastern part remain as the Q4 but instead of heading up to Jamaica via Merrick I would have it run up Sutphin Blvd to the Sutphin/Hillside Ave making no stops along Sutphin Blvd except at Liberty Ave and 91st Ave. 

West of Sutphin Blvd the route can remain as the Q51 but I also believe that if there is a route running on Linden, I think it’s overkill having one on 109th Ave as well. The old Q41’s route gave the best of both worlds when it ran on 111th Ave, I wonder how ridership was affect when the route was moved from 111th Ave to 109th Ave?

Well, I rode the 41 one time and while I was on it, the bus was like 80% empty between the Rockaway Station and Jamaica Avenue and Parsons Boulevard. Didn’t know the 41 ran via 111th tho 🤔 now I wonder why did they move the route to 109th?

@NewFlyer 230 My responses are in bold 

17 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

Well, I rode the 41 one time and while I was on it, the bus was like 80% empty between the Rockaway Station and Jamaica Avenue and Parsons Boulevard. Didn’t know the 41 ran via 111th tho 🤔 now I wonder why did they move the route to 109th?

They (MTA) wanted to streamline service in Richmond Hill and South Ozone Park. 

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

They (MTA) wanted to streamline service in Richmond Hill and South Ozone Park. 

If the 41 had better service along 111th avenue back in the day than it does now along 109th, then that was a stupid move they made….

Then again, the MTA’s known at times for making stupid route decisions

Speaking of stupid decisions, anyone else thinks the Q26 should just be extended up College Point (If they really wanna replace the 65 so bad), and the 27 should be left untouched? I was never really fond of the 26 going down to Cambria replacing the 27. Yes, they have the 78, but if they gonna have the 26 run local via Springfield with the 78, then shouldn’t they just leave the 27 running there instead? I just think THAT would make better sense

Edited by Fire Mountain

12 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

11 hours ago, xD4nn said:

The Q27 in its current form cannot be articulated because Queens Village Depot doesn't have the space for articulated buses.

...and the fact that it wouldn't fair well at Queensborough Community College bus loop.

1 hour ago, The TransitMan said:

...and the fact that it wouldn't fair well at Queensborough Community College bus loop.

F***! Good point. Forgot about that for a second 🤦🏾‍♂️ 

27 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

In addition to the proposed Q73 and 75 ending there and the 26 and 78 looping there 

The 73 and 75 would be ending at the actual intersection of 56th Avenue and 223rd Street where the 30 currently lays over and then spin around the block passing Cardozo while the 27 would continue inside the college loop along with the 78

Edited by Fire Mountain