Academy fined $20.5 million after defrauding NJ Transit for years

go25

16 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Artics might pop up on the 119 as well as MCIS probably not for the 10...unless greenville split the 10 rt with meadowlands....

MCIs most definitely. I remember riding the MC-9Bs on the 99S a long long time ago. Those we're fun times

2 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Wait, I thought the 84, 86 and 89 routes are out of Meadowlands? Did I miss something here? Are they trying to contract those routes out?

I know what you mean bro. Question marks were flying above my head when I read the article. I had to reread just to be sure of what it was saying . It sure  looks like routes 84, 86 and 89 from Meadowlands are gonna be swap for routes 10 & 119 currently run under contract by Coach USA. I'm like really?! I guess transit can swap their own routes for carriers to run🤔

3 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Wait, I thought the 84, 86 and 89 routes are out of Meadowlands? Did I miss something here? Are they trying to contract those routes out?

Yeah you missed something lol.

84/86/89 are going to Coach USA, in return meadowlands getting the 119. 

2 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

I know what you mean bro. Question marks were flying above my head when I read the article. I had to reread just to be sure of what it was saying . It sure  looks like routes 84, 86 and 89 from Meadowlands are gonna be swap for routes 10 & 119 currently run under contract by Coach USA. I'm like really?! I guess transit can swap their own routes for carriers to run🤔

Or course they can; it’s their routes lol.

but it’s extremely funny how the 99s (119) was originally a coach route, became a NJT contracted route under Academy, then went back to coach again until for NJT to take it back again lmao.

5 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

MCIs most definitely. I remember riding the MC-9Bs on the 99S a long long time ago. Those we're fun times

But that also was at the time it ran along palisade and not the way it does today...using MCIs was a bit easier for drivers....but yes those where great times i agree...in my opinion they should have nevered changed that rt...it wasnt broken but they fixed it...LOL

Edited by biGC323232

57 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Wow...so meadowlands give up basicly 5 rts (if u add park ave) for just the 119...wow thats a steal...lol

Not really, the 119 is an extreme big cash cow for transit right now. That's why academy would always have drivers on the 119 because that was what made money.

5 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

When will these changes occur? 

"The contracts were to run Hudson County Local bus Routes 2, 84, 88 and North Hudson local bus routes 22, 23, 86 and 89, said Nancy Snyder, an NJ Transit spokeswoman. They take effect on June 26."

There's your answer brotha.

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Not really, the 119 is an extreme big cash cow for transit right now. That's why academy would always have drivers on the 119 because that was what made money.

Not exactly.

The lawsuit included missing trips on the 10 and 119. Academy's main priority is charters. They'd take transit route drivers and stick them on charters or other runs if necessary.

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Not really, the 119 is an extreme big cash cow for transit right now. That's why academy would always have drivers on the 119 bLightecause that was what made mom

119 has its base ridership yes...but for those 3 rts i wouldnt go as far as to say the 119 out ridership those 3 even tho its 24 hours ....now if transit resort back to the way it use to run(along palisade and not central ave and stopping in the jsq term) and cut the 123 back to congress 9st light rail then u got me on ridership ...drivers at meadowlands gonna be thrill to not have to deal with what those lines represents and with a simple north and south rt...lol

Edited by biGC323232

This whole matter with NJT vs. Academy makes me wonder; while the passengers were getting shafted due to the no-show trips, what would have been their recourse in terms of filing a complaint?  Would they have been expected to file their complaint directly with NJT, or with Academy?

Just something I've been wondering about since this whole thing started.  Seen enough bureaucracy in my own experiences that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Academy customer service was telling riders "call NJT", only to have NJT customer service tell them "call Academy".

@553 Bridgeton sorry for the shout-out, but any thoughts?    I'm assuming the circus at Penn Plaza East is still in town?

19 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

This whole matter with NJT vs. Academy makes me wonder; while the passengers were getting shafted due to the no-show trips, what would have been their recourse in terms of filing a complaint?  Would they have been expected to file their complaint directly with NJT, or with Academy?

Just something I've been wondering about since this whole thing started.  Seen enough bureaucracy in my own experiences that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Academy customer service was telling riders "call NJT", only to have NJT customer service tell them "call Academy".

@553 Bridgeton sorry for the shout-out, but any thoughts?    I'm assuming the circus at Penn Plaza East is still in town?

Njt redirects any complaints to the contractor. They’ll keep note in logs but they expect the contractor to deal with the problem. The average rider does not know contractors operate njt owned buses. It’s one of the reasons the state owned mcis are painted in the contractors colors. However the nabis stay in njt colors. Those people don’t see a contractor they see njt. 

2 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Njt redirects any complaints to the contractor. They’ll keep note in logs but they expect the contractor to deal with the problem. The average rider does not know contractors operate njt owned buses. It’s one of the reasons the state owned mcis are painted in the contractors colors. However the nabis stay in njt colors. Those people don’t see a contractor they see njt. 

Not surprised.  I had a feeling that the people in charge at NJT were intent on passing the buck.  Hell, if it weren't for the whistleblower at Academy, the case may never even have seen the light of day.

Edited by R10 2952

On 3/18/2022 at 8:20 PM, 553 Bridgeton said:

But doesn't CUSA use NABI's painted in their livery on NJT routes?

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But doesn't CUSA use NABI's painted in their livery on NJT routes?

No, the buses they use on NJT routes are in NJT livery. The only ones that are in CUSA livery are for the 24, 31, 44 and Newark Airport Express