New York City Plans to Stop Homeless People From Sheltering in Subway

CenSin

Sauce: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/nyregion/nyc-subway-homeless.html

New York City Plans to Stop Homeless People From Sheltering in Subway

By Andy Newman, Dana Rubinstein and Michael Gold

Feb. 18, 2022Updated 7:44 p.m. ET

Mayor Eric Adams and Gov. Kathy Hochul announced on Friday an aggressive plan to deploy police officers and mental-health workers into New York City’s subway, pledging to remove more than 1,000 homeless people who shelter there regularly, some of whom have contributed to escalating violence and harassment in the system.

Starting Monday, the officials said, there will be a zero-tolerance policy — enforced by the hundreds of officers who already patrol the system — for people sleeping sprawled across train seats or in stations, or for other violations of the subway’s often flouted rules of conduct, including littering, unruly behavior and lingering in a station for over an hour.

Dozens of mental-health professionals with the power to order the involuntary hospitalization of people who they deem a danger to themselves or others will be added to outreach teams systemwide.

“No more just doing whatever you want,” Mr. Adams said at a news conference at a Lower Manhattan subway station. “Those days are over. Swipe your MetroCard, ride the system, get off at your destination. That’s what this administration is saying.”

On 2/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

At one point during the 1990s, the Coalition for the Homeless actually demanded (yes, demanded) that the whole subway system shut down overnight so that homeless people could use the trains and stations as shelters. 

LOL wow...

32 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Lingering in the subway for more then an hour? What about those of us that railfan the subway? 

By "lingering", they probably mean homeless that are resting/staying at a certain station for a long time, probably with the stuff they are carrying. These aren't the types with compact gear, that stand up to film trains (railfanners).

Personally I tend not to stay at a specific station platform for more than an hour even when I'm railfanning. One exception I can think of is retirement runs (like the R32 final run) but that explains itself.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

4 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

By "lingering", they probably mean homeless that are resting/staying at a certain station for a long time, probably with the stuff they are carrying. These aren't the types with compact gear, that stand up to film trains (railfanners).

Personally I tend not to stay at a specific station platform for more than an hour even when I'm railfanning. One exception I can think of is retirement runs (like the R32 final run) but that explains itself.

That's what they mean, or doing things that are against (MTA) rules, like laying across the seats on the subway or platform.

9 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Man today a homeless man was sleep laying down on the train AND THERE WAS TWO COPS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAR and guess what? They didn't do shit! They stood there chatting amongst themselves.

Yup, I’ve spoken to some sergeants and NCOs about it, and they all say they are basically instructed to leave the homeless alone unless they enter private property or are actively committing a serious crime. So I don’t have much hope for this program 

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Man today a homeless man was sleep laying down on the train AND THERE WAS TWO COPS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAR and guess what? They didn't do shit! They stood there chatting amongst themselves.

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yup, I’ve spoken to some sergeants and NCOs about it, and they all say they are basically instructed to leave the homeless alone unless they enter private property or are actively committing a serious crime. So I don’t have much hope for this program 

I know a few people that have been assigned to do outreach and such. These cops may not have been responsible for that, and if not, then it makes sense. With the homeless advocacy groups, you can't do anything or they'll be up in arms.

52 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know a few people that have been assigned to do outreach and such. These cops may not have been responsible for that, and if not, then it makes sense. With the homeless advocacy groups, you can't do anything or they'll be up in arms.

Who are these advocates anyway? Are they homeless themselves, people who ride the subway, or people who just advocate from an ivory tower?

Just now, CenSin said:

Who are these advocates anyway? Are they homeless themselves, people who ride the subway, or people who just advocate from an ivory tower?

This is one of them. I don't know if any of them were previously homeless or what. 

https://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/about-the-coalition/

10 hours ago, CenSin said:

or people who just advocate from an ivory tower?

I'll wager that at least a few of them are phony, limousine-liberal social justice warriors... like the nonprofit a few years back that received funds from the City to do outreach, but never even left their office desks during the workday.

In this country, instead of actually helping the homeless, we instead have a homeless-industrial complex.

Edited by R10 2952