Exam 8006

sealteam1962

my father and uncle is some of the lucky ones but they have been to many funerals of fellow drivers who have passed away due to heart failure,kidney failure,and lung disease many did not make it to retirement and lot that did soon passed a few years later yes it is very true thats why we should fight for 20 year retirement and the heart and lung bill :mad:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my father and uncle is some of the lucky ones but they have been to many funerals of fellow drivers who have passed away due to heart failure,kidney failure,and lung disease many did not make it to retirement and lot that did soon passed a few years later yes it is very true thats why we should fight for 20 year retirement and the heart and lung bill :mad:

Both of my grandfathers retired from the buses, it's just not something I have ever heard from surface. From RTO it is a common fact that breathing in tons of toxic stuff underground for 25+ years kills you.

The 20 year retirement will NEVER happen. You should be happy if by the time you get back new hires are still tier 4 and not tier 5.

i said i there was talks but it never happened i know it wont but i know from my family a lot of drivers have a lot of health problems on the job and when they retire and its good that they have gyms in most depots you have to stay in shape and exercise on this job my farther just told me there are a lot of bad back and a lot of kidney problems not including heart conditions also so exercise and diet are a must on this job

well me i`m not over weight no fat or mouscle on me i`m just a little under weight like 10 pounds

Being underweight isn't really healthy but you are young,believe me you will gain weight as you get older,lol. When I was your age I weighed around175-180lbs,now it is around 195-200lbs. I need to lose about 15lbs,185 is my ideal weight,I am 5"10 and I do lift weights but nothing really heavy.

i said i there was talks but it never happened i know it wont but i know from my family a lot of drivers have a lot of health problems on the job and when they retire and its good that they have gyms in most depots you have to stay in shape and exercise on this job my farther just told me there are a lot of bad back and a lot of kidney problems not including heart conditions also so exercise and diet are a must on this job

Exercise is king though. That helps that they have gyms at most of the depots,minimum of 30 minutes of cardio a day is ok. How are the drivers seats in the buses?

I've never heard this before. T/O and C/R's this is true for though.

DOB2RTO posted about that last year,couldn't find that particular posting. But he said something along the line that they died within a couple of years after they retired.

I would figure track workers have health issues as well.

There was a guy who worked 50 yrs for DSNY without ever calling in sick,he was picking up garbage up until the age of 79,he died 9 months into his retirement. He even said once that the day that I stop working is when I will die. Being retired sometimes adds stress to your life.

DOB2RTO posted about that last year,couldn't find that particular posting. But he said something along the line that they died within a couple of years after they retired.

DOB2RTO was most likely talking about the subways.

Track workers are in the same boat with us too. The only difference is that they don't have any stress or responsiblity and they work for a department that appreciates them.

i like the new buses the hybdrid electric nice seats but them again some of the old buses had nice and bad seats its best to get a back and seat cushion you can carry with you or a back roll pillow its small and you carry it in your bag but that is different with some people some are comfortable without anything others need extra support and cushion you will have see yourself what will be best for you

i like the new buses the hybrid electric nice seats but them again some of the old buses had nice and bad seats its best to get a back and seat cushion you can carry with you or a back roll pillow its small and you carry it in your bag but that is different with some people some are comfortable without anything others need extra support and cushion you will have see yourself what will be best for you

i like the new buses the hybrid electric nice seatsyou can push different buttons to make your seat more cushion or less i liked it but them again some of the old buses had nice and bad seats its best to get a back and seat cushion you can carry with you or a back roll pillow its small and you carry it in your bag but that is different with some people some are comfortable without anything others need extra support and cushion you will have see yourself what will be best for you

DOB2RTO was most likely talking about the subways.

Track workers are in the same boat with us too. The only difference is that they don't have any stress or responsiblity and they work for a department that appreciates them.

This was from last year when he was still a B/O...I will try to find that post or better yet let him comment.

I heard track workers work no more than 4 hrs a shift,believe the last exam was a couple of years ago.

i like the new buses the hybrid electric nice seatsyou can push different buttons to make your seat more cushion or less i liked it but them again some of the old buses had nice and bad seats its best to get a back and seat cushion you can carry with you or a back roll pillow its small and you carry it in your bag but that is different with some people some are comfortable without anything others need extra support and cushion you will have see yourself what will be best for you

Sounds good,yeah you need a comfortable seat especially with all those potholes out there. They are eventually going to retire all of the RTS buses. When you were training at Zerega how was that bus? fairly new or fairly old?

you go on the rts bus they get a feel who drives good and then they let everyone drive the new buses hybrids when i was there they made us do the airbrake test everyday and you have to sat each part of the airbrake test outloud to everyone on the bus then when you are driving you got to say the height of the overpass and height of the bus also things like pedestrian at corner and people sitting in the drivers seat making you aware that they can open up that door you beep your horn before passing them .also when backing up you have someone go outside and help you backup and you look left to right beeping your horn with your hazzards on they go through a lot if there is anything else just ask im here to help

you go on the rts bus they get a feel who drives good and then they let everyone drive the new buses hybrids when i was there they made us do the airbrake test everyday and you have to sat each part of the airbrake test outloud to everyone on the bus then when you are driving you got to say the height of the overpass and height of the bus also things like pedestrian at corner and people sitting in the drivers seat making you aware that they can open up that door you beep your horn before passing them .also when backing up you have someone go outside and help you backup and you look left to right beeping your horn with your hazzards on they go through a lot if there is anything else just ask im here to help
Overall what part of the training was the most difficult and made people fail.

Hey 1daysoon. I was in a qualifying class of 4. 3 out of 4 qualified. The person that didn't qualify, failed because he left the bus in reverse before he checked the back to see if there was anything behind him. If you don't get nervous you will be fine. That kid was so nervous day 7.

I did that also when I was taking driving lessons for my cdl. Does the training bus have dual brakes? Where does the trainer sit on the bus? They take 4 students on the bus at a time right? thanks

Hey 1daysoon. I was in a qualifying class of 4. 3 out of 4 qualified. The person that didn't qualify, failed because he left the bus in reverse before he checked the back to see if there was anything behind him. If you don't get nervous you will be fine. That kid was so nervous day 7.

I hope he had the parking brake on at least...being nervous,he rushed and that is when you make mistakes.

10 days to qualify,there is some room for error,but more pressure is forced upon you.

i qualified day 7 the other 4 was 8,9,10. except for the kid that had the accident on the 4th day in training he hit a concrete divider by the holland tunnel making a left turn he was always nervous also legs were shaking all the time you got to relax.they made him go to day 10 he went out by himself with 2 instructors in 15 minutes the bus came back with the instructor driving the bus they let him go .due to being so nervous and the accident also.our whole time was maybe about 10 days zerega then we had to meet the instructor at flatbush depot for 5 days then we were sent to fresh pond depot for line training we were there about a month then finally graduated .remember this those people who measure you for your uniforms dont let them if you know your size tell them!!! .or you will be wearing a size to big or small and youll be paying out of your pocket to have the tailor adust your jacket ,pants etc listen to me they messed a lot of us up.after graduation you pick your depot what ever has openings i cant say how important this is like i said before make sure you want to be there casey stengal is permanent that was my mistake .on your day off while in line training go to some depots show your id badge and get a feel for the place ask questions etc etc this way youll have an idea

are these test for the full cdl or to proove to the mta you know how to handle a bus? what happens if you fail, you get to do it again?

If you just have a CDL B Permit,you will have to first take the DMV road test and then qualify for driving for the MTA.

Worrying about qualifying(10 days) is more than enough for me which is why I decided to get my CDL BP on my own last year.

I can understand being nervous on day 1,2,3 but after that you should start feeling more comfortable.

Sounds like they make you drive all over while qualifying,even to Jersey through the tunnels?

Archived