MTA proposed fare hikes 2023 some good and some bad

mikecintel

5 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Fare beating exists because there are no consequences. Period. If food at the grocery stores were free to take, nobody will pay. Not the poor, not the rich, maybe some will donate. We essentially operate the transit system based on a donation model today

Question: If you weren't a transit fan, why would you pay? Nobody else does

At no point in time will free transit EVER save money, not for one day, not for one hour. It will always be a revenue loss, with no benefits to anyone. I much prefer more service over free service. More subway service on weekends, more buses more often to more places. This free thing has to stop, its nothing but brainless progressive politicians trying to act like they care, in reality they have no plan to improve the system other than that

Thank you for the explanation your right all what America does is find ways to make more money I live in Westchester so I wouldn't know how taxes work in the city.

Answer: I can't imagine not being a transit fan but no I don't think I would fare-beat.  

But then how do you think that homeless people end up on subways. I don't think that has anything w/ getting away w/ something. 

2 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

But then how do you think that homeless people end up on subways. I don't think that has anything w/ getting away w/ something. 

It's a place with heat over the winter and A/C over the summer, if have nowhere else to go it's probably more preferable because you are not exposed to the element like sleeping on the street

I will say this, The fare hike doesn't affect me but i find it very dumb they would mention this when they are pushing for congestion pricing. $23 to go south of 60th st, The Anti-Congestion pricing people will have a field day over this. It's very bad optics to say you want to raise the fare granted it's only $0.15 but it makes the (MTA) look bad and dumb at the same time. The Congestion pricing plan was supposed to fix 90% of the issues when it comes to additional funding. If anything they should have waited until AFTER Congestion pricing started to raise the fares. 

Edited by R32 3838

On 5/24/2023 at 9:23 PM, Mtatransit said:

It's a place with heat over the winter and A/C over the summer, if have nowhere else to go it's probably more preferable because you are not exposed to the element like sleeping on the street

So it’s okay for the homeless not to pay? Why should I pay if the homeless don’t, especially if there is always signal problems on every subway line

13 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

So it’s okay for the homeless not to pay? Why should I pay if the homeless don’t, especially if there is always signal problems on every subway line

I don't think that's what he intended to say; he's just saying that homeless people often don't have anywhere better to go other than the subway during harsher weather. A lot of homeless shelters only offer shelter during the nights and will kick people out during the daytime. Just because a homeless person is kicked out of a subway station doesn't mean that person disappears. There's a larger discussion to be had about how as a society we can reduce homeless and better be able to deal with the homeless people there currently are.

I generally tend to find the homeless folks who camp out in the subway tend to be on the worse end of homeless; disproportionately male and often have severe mental and drug issues that make getting help for them more difficult. Homeless people who are older, female, have children, or generally more mentally competent and actively working to get out of their situation tend to have more access to resources (or are just more likely to seek them out). Figuring out how to deal specifically with and ideally help the male drug addict mentally unstable homeless population would be key in reducing the number of homeless folks we see on the subway

It's not any MTA employee's job to deal with the homeless in the subway; that requires coordination with the Department of Homeless Services (or any city government agency that deals with them). It sucks for sure, but MTA employees have better things to do than babysit the homeless.

As for fares being raised, it shouldn't be surprising to see it coming considering the MTA isn't doing well with their money, but some of you are acting like the MTA is doing this to intentionally screw all of us up. The MTA hasn't been doing well financially the last few years, so things like congestion pricing, new turnstiles to reduce farebeaters, and increase of fares are ways to save themselves, otherwise expect more problems to arise in the subway such as more signal problems, deteriorating tracks and stations, etc. Worst that can happen is if the MTA starts doing budget cuts like in 2010 (which is what they've been trying to avoid all this time), and if that happens, will you guys start complaining about how the MTA are suddenly messing up your commutes for no reason at all?

On 5/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, Chris89292 said:

Nobody is forcing you to pay the fare. There are tons of people who walk past the bus driver on the bus and plenty who participate in the subway olympics (turnstile hopping) and never get caught. From my personal observations most people farebeat not because they can’t afford the fare but simply because they don’t care to pay up. I’ve seen a lot of people with Starbucks drinks, expensive Jordan’s, the newest iPhone and etc who give the excuse that the fare is too high yet they can go out their way and buy other things that can be argued as unnecessary. Social media and our political figures in this city make it easy to use the excuse of being poor and upset as an excuse to farebeat. Being someone who isn’t far removed from college I knew a lot of  my peers who were irresponsible with their finances and as a result would farebeat just because paying the fare wasn’t a priority. I’m not saying that there aren’t people out there who really can’t pay the fare but they certainly don’t make up the majority of farebeaters. However there are people who still pay the fare because it is the right thing to do. I personally don’t have the time and energy to be nervous and on edge about a bus driver stopping me from boarding a bus or an NYPD giving me a ticket because I didn’t pay the $2.75 fare.

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Nobody is forcing you to pay the fare. There are tons of people who walk past the bus driver on the bus and plenty who participate in the subway olympics (turnstile hopping) and never get caught. From my personal observations most people farebeat not because they can’t afford the fare but simply because they don’t care to pay up. I’ve seen a lot of people with Starbucks drinks, expensive Jordan’s, the newest iPhone and etc who give the excuse that the fare is too high yet they can go out their way and buy other things that can be argued as unnecessary. Social media and our political figures in this city make it easy to use the excuse of being poor and upset as an excuse to farebeat. Being someone who isn’t far removed from college I knew a lot of  my peers who were irresponsible with their finances and as a result would farebeat just because paying the fare wasn’t a priority. I’m not saying that there aren’t people out there who really can’t pay the fare but they certainly don’t make up the majority of farebeaters. However there are people who still pay the fare because it is the right thing to do. I personally don’t have the time and energy to be nervous and on edge about a bus driver stopping me from boarding a bus or an NYPD giving me a ticket because I didn’t pay the $2.75 fare.

Yes people buy the most expensive iPhone for $1000 or the best quality coffee from Starbucks, but people pay because they know they’ll get something good in exchange, in the subways, people receive delays, signal problems, dirty stations, crackheads, $2.75 isn’t worth paying, people don’t receive better service and safety in exchange, that’s the reason why people don’t pay, raising the fare doesn’t solve the problem, MTA is just money grabbing from peoples pockets but they don’t do anything to resolve all their problems, you have understand the people too

On 5/28/2023 at 12:51 AM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I don't think that's what he intended to say; he's just saying that homeless people often don't have anywhere better to go other than the subway during harsher weather. A lot of homeless shelters only offer shelter during the nights and will kick people out during the daytime. Just because a homeless person is kicked out of a subway station doesn't mean that person disappears. There's a larger discussion to be had about how as a society we can reduce homeless and better be able to deal with the homeless people there currently are.

I generally tend to find the homeless folks who camp out in the subway tend to be on the worse end of homeless; disproportionately male and often have severe mental and drug issues that make getting help for them more difficult. Homeless people who are older, female, have children, or generally more mentally competent and actively working to get out of their situation tend to have more access to resources (or are just more likely to seek them out). Figuring out how to deal specifically with and ideally help the male drug addict mentally unstable homeless population would be key in reducing the number of homeless folks we see on the subway

But NYC can house these illegals in hotels when they could use those resources to house the homeless and mentally ill.  I'm not liking how the blue cities are pretty much giving the middle finger at people who been homeless or on waiting lists for housing get pushed aside.

34 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Yes people buy the most expensive iPhone for $1000 or the best quality coffee from Starbucks, but people pay because they know they’ll get something good in exchange, in the subways, people receive delays, signal problems, dirty stations, crackheads, $2.75 isn’t worth paying, people don’t receive better service and safety in exchange, that’s the reason why people don’t pay, raising the fare doesn’t solve the problem, MTA is just money grabbing from peoples pockets but they don’t do anything to resolve all their problems, you have understand the people too

This is because no one wants to enforce the law. The DA thinks fare beating is a non issue.

18 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It's a slap in the face to the poor that actually pay, when someone with the newest phones and good sneaker don't pay while they do. 

People don't pay because there are no consequences. Period. 

The people who pay are essentially paying twice, through taxes and the fare, while people who don't pay get their fare portion subsidized by the rest of us that pays. Call it a donation.

Fare beating is so bad on Staten Island that some bus operators just open both doors at stations. Cause why not, nobody pays anyways.

I don't have a issue with the fare raising, it just feel like a slap in the face to people who pay (more now), while watching others get it for free, with no consequences. Where are the undercover police program? That was a really big deterrent because people will always be cautious. They also could ride the S74 and S79 all day and fine people of all colors and race. 

12 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

If your boss doesn't like the work you do, can you he/she just not pay your wage?

Stealing is stealing. If people don't like the service they should walk. If they think the service is crappy contact your elected official

Edited by Mtatransit

On 5/30/2023 at 4:51 PM, Chris89292 said:

I totally get the frustration that people have with the system. I don’t expect the system to be perfect and the MTA has definitely lagged behind other agencies for many years. You go to Washington D.C and ride the subway over there and it’s honestly a night and day difference. Corruption and dysfunction is a part of NYC culture and it will continue to be that way as long as the people who live here accept that. Most people don’t file formal complaints when things happen or when they are dissatisfied with the service. Instead they vent on Twitter and Instagram or tell their friends and that doesn’t do much of anything. Masses of people need to get on the MTA and our politicians about the state of our transit system. Farebeating at the end of the day is stealing and if people aren’t filing complaints and lighting a fire under the butts of the higher ups in charge then all they are doing is committing crime.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:27 PM, R32 3838 said:

But NYC can house these illegals in hotels when they could use those resources to house the homeless and mentally ill.  I'm not liking how the blue cities are pretty much giving the middle finger at people who been homeless or on waiting lists for housing get pushed aside.

This is because no one wants to enforce the law. The DA thinks fare beating is a non issue.

Totally agree! 
New York is in the state it’s in because of its leaders. We get hoodwinked every election cycle and it’s a shame because I don’t see things getting better.

14 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

It's a slap in the face to the poor that actually pay, when someone with the newest phones and good sneaker don't pay while they do. 

People don't pay because there are no consequences. Period. 

The people who pay are essentially paying twice, through taxes and the fare, while people who don't pay get their fare portion subsidized by the rest of us that pays. Call it a donation.

Fare beating is so bad on Staten Island that some bus operators just open both doors at stations. Cause why not, nobody pays anyways.

I don't have a issue with the fare raising, it just feel like a slap in the face to people who pay (more now), while watching others get it for free, with no consequences. Where are the undercover police program? That was a really big deterrent because people will always be cautious. They also could ride the S74 and S79 all day and fine people of all colors and race. 

I’ve been on the Q5 where I was the only one to pay out of 17 people who boarded from Green Arces Mall to Jamaica. 
I remember when I used to take the M60 at 125th & Lexington to go to work, swarms of people would board through the back doors of the Bx15. These people are not as poor as  they want you to think cause they will have their smokes, Starbucks, new J’s and etc but claim they are broke and can’t afford the fare. 

On 5/30/2023 at 4:51 PM, Chris89292 said:

Even if it's imperfect, the MTA still offers people a service they need (transportation), and is FAR cheaper than basically any other alternative mode. For example, McDonalds is obviously cheaper than Eleven Madison Park because people expect Eleven Madison Park's food to be of higher quality, but that doesn't mean McDonalds should be free. Yeah the MTA isn't the most pleasant experience, but it still gets you from point A to point B, the same way McDonald will fill your stomach, even if you feel a bit sick.

As taxpayers though, I do agree that the lack of transparency and all the waste associated with the MTA can be frustrating and we need to ensure we elect politicians who will ensure taxpayer money is put to good use, but farebeating doesn't do anything to help that problem. A majority of fare-beaters don't even vote in elections.

https://www.qchron.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/mta-doubly-unfare/article_27dae588-0595-11ee-a896-2398a5b38c5f.html

The Redesigns will create additional double fares where new three-legged transfers are not created. And the new ones will not be publicized so only existing residents will know about them, not new people moving into a neighborhood.

• 1 month later...

The MTA "Approved the new fares and for the LIRR/MNR it will go in effect AUG 6 (Sunday).  The MTA bus/subway will go into effect Aug 20 (Sun)

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-board-adopts-fare-and-toll-increases-take-effect-august

MTA Board Adopts Fare and Toll Increases to Take Effect in August

OMNY Customers Can Soon Start Their Fare Capping Week Anytime, Making OMNY Easier and More Flexible Than 7-Day MetroCards

LIRR and Metro-North Expand CityTicket to Peak Trains and Continue Discounted Joint Railroad Combo Tickets

Fares Frozen for Metro-North's Pascack Valley and Port Jervis Lines

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Board today approved a slate of toll increases to go into effect on August 6 and fare increases that go into effect on August 20. These increases had been introduced on May 22, 2023. Between June 22, 2023, and June 26, 2023, the MTA Board held four hybrid public hearings to receive public comments on the proposed fare changes. The MTA further invited and received written and video statements from members of the public commenting on the proposals.

Riders can expect to see the following changes in August:

OMNY Seven-Day Fare-Capping More Flexible, Now Tailored to Each Rider’s Transit Usage

In a move that increases convenience and financial flexibility for customers, the seven-day “best fare” fare-cap will allow OMNY customers to start their seven-day fare capping period any day of the week. Giving customers the best deal for any seven-day period will mark a change from the original fare-capping pilot, which calculated capped fares only on a Monday-through-Sunday schedule, regardless of what day a rider’s first tap came. Now the seven-day period will begin automatically the first time a rider taps their contactless payment device or OMNY card and will renew upon the rider’s first tap after the seven-day period has concluded.

Unlike the 7-day MetroCard, which requires an upfront $34 payment, the OMNY “best fare” initiative will give customers the financial flexibility to pay-as-they-go until they have spent $34 in any consecutive seven days, after which the cap will be in effect through the end of seven days. This new fare-capping structure will bring the financial flexibility and convenience of OMNY pay-as-you-go to many riders who have not yet made the switch to OMNY, particularly 7-day MetroCard pass customers, 75% of whom do not activate on Monday.

OMNY’s market share systemwide is over 42%, and in the latest Spring 2023 Customers Count Survey OMNY posted a 79% fare payment satisfaction rate.

Commuter Railroad Trains Continuing Combo Tickets, Discount on Monthly Tickets

The Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad will continue the fare discounts that initially debuted in February 2022. Those discounts include an additional 10% discount on monthly tickets.

The $5.00 CityTicket for all off-peak trains will also continue as both railroads further expand CityTicket to peak trains at a $7.00 fare. Additionally, the LIRR will introduce the Far Rockaway Ticket, which will mirror CityTicket prices.

Fares were frozen for Metro-North's West-of-Hudson service, the Pascack Valley Line and Port Jervis Line.

Updated Subway and Bus Fares

The base fare for subways, local buses, the Staten Island Railway and Paratransit will rise to $2.90, up from the current fare of $2.75. Express bus fares will rise to $7.00, from the current $6.75. modest changes to unlimited ride passes: 7-day unlimited-ride MetroCards will rise to $34.00 from the current $33.00, 30-day unlimited MetroCards rise to $132.00 from the current $127.00. Riders can avoid paying these costs up-front by tapping with OMNY to have fares capped at no more than $34.00 every seven days as described above.  Riders never pay for rides they don't take with OMNY.

Single rides on subways and buses will increase to $3.25 from the current $3.00; 7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCards will rise to $64.00 from the current $62.00.

All discounts for seniors, reduced fares, will remain in place.

Toll Increase Lessened for E-ZPass Users

The toll increase adopted today by the MTA Board increases the discount offered to E-ZPass users, as had been proposed as “Option B”.

Toll rates continue to vary based on vehicle type and bridge or tunnel crossed. For automobiles using the MTA’s major crossings, the Bronx-Whitestone, Robert F. Kennedy, Throgs Neck, and Verrazzano-Narrows Bridges and Hugh L. Carey and Queens Midtown Tunnels, the new toll rates are set forth in the table below.

Customers who use an E-ZPass administered by E-ZPassNY will be able to save 2% more than before as compared to Tolls by Mail.

Toll Method Used

Current Rate

Rate to Take Effect in August 2023

E-ZPass

$6.55  to $6.94

Mid-Tier Rate*

$8.36 to $9.11

Tolls by Mail

$10.17  to $11.19

*Mid-tier rate is charged to an E-ZPass account-holder when an E-ZPass tag is not read due to improper mounting inside the vehicle and the toll is collected via license plate lookup.

Discounts for Staten Island residents using the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge and Rockaways and Broad Channel residents using the Cross Bay Bridge will remain in place.

Continuation of Periodic, Incremental Fare and Toll Adjustments that Began in 2009

The modest increase in fares and tolls is a continuation of an MTA practice that began in 2009 in which small, predictable adjustments are made to fares and tolls on a biennial basis. Due to the impact the pandemic had on ridership fare increases were temporarily put on hold in 2021. The toll and fare revenue increase for 2023 is projected to generate $117 million in 2023. The five-year plan announced on Monday July 17 assumes an additional 4% increase in 2025 and in 2027. 

Traffic has returned with MTA Bridges and Tunnels crossings back at, or above, pre-pandemic levels. Paid ridership across subways, buses, commuter railroads and paratransit continue to trend towards the midpoint scenario analyzed by consulting firm McKinsey, which has the MTA reaching 80% of its pre-pandemic ridership by 2027.

The GOOD NEWS is for seniors and reduce fare customers they WILL NOT see an increase and will stay at $2.75

GOOD NEWS for PEAK CITY Tickets LIRR/MNR.  The PEAK fare will be $7 down from $10.75

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-expansion-of-cityticket-peak-commuter-railroad-trains

MTA Announces Expansion of CityTicket to Peak Commuter Railroad Trains

Expansion to Peak Trains Follows Previous Expansions to All Off-Peak Trains in February 2022 

Ticket Valid for All Commuter Railroad Travel Within the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan 

MTA Has Sold More Than 6 Million CityTickets Since Expansion to All Off-Peak 

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) today announced that CityTicket, which provides Metro-North Railroad and Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) customers with a low-cost, flat-fare to travel within New York City during off-peak hours, will be expanded to include peak hours by the end of August 2023. The expansion, previously announced by Governor Hochul, is geared to further encourage commuter railroad travel within the five boroughs. 

The peak CityTicket will be $7.00, covering commuter railroad stations in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens and build on the ticket's expansion in recent months. When it was first introduced, CityTicket was valid for weekend travel. In February 2022, the MTA expanded CityTicket to off-peak weekday trains, in addition to a flat $5.00 fare. Since the expansion to all off-peak travel the LIRR has sold more than 5 million tickets and Metro-North Railroad has sold 1.3 million. 

“Discounts for commuter rail travel within New York City have been key to the MTA’s strategy for getting New Yorkers back to transit and normal life,” said MTA Chair and CEO Janno Lieber. “Now we’re making those discounts 24/7, 365, and dramatically increasing service frequency in the boroughs. Big win.” 

“As both railroads look to rebuild our ridership after the pandemic, we are excited to see such high demand for our services within the city, and we are thrilled to be able to offer a more affordable commuter rail option to our city customers during peak hours,” said Metro-North Railroad President and LIRR Interim President Catherine Rinaldi.  “The expansion of CityTicket to peak hours occurs as both railroad are expanding their footprints within the City. LIRR recently made Mets-Willets Point a full time stop to serve the growing community in Flushing, and Metro-North, which has a sizeable presence in the Bronx, will be adding four additional Bronx stations as part of the Penn Access project.”   

The LIRR has 24 stations in Brooklyn and Queens, and Metro-North has 13 stations in the Bronx, as well as a stop in Harlem. CityTicket will also be valid for travel to and from Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. The LIRR made the Mets-Willets Point station in Flushing, Queens a full-time stop in April and made a Far Rockaway Ticket for LIRR riders on the Far Rockaway Branch in May that mirrors the CityTicket. 

Metro-North service will expand to the East Bronx following the completion of Penn Station Access, which will add four new Metro-North stations at Hunts Point, Parkchester/Van Nest, Morris Park, and Co-Op City. Governor Hochul and MTA leadership broke ground on the project in December 2022. 

The New New York Panel convened by Governor Hochul and Mayor Adams recommended the expansion of CityTicket as an essential step to expand commuter railroad use in New York City and accelerate New York’s comeback. Currently, peak hour travel can cost as much as $10.75, a prohibitively expensive price for what is often a significantly shorter commute when compared to buses or the subway. 

“The MTA's LIRR and Metro-North commuter railroads had for too long been cost prohibitive to commuters in the better boroughs, but first the Atlantic Ticket, and then the CityTicket have been gamechangers, giving residents with some of the longest commute times in the city, fast, safe and reliable service at a reasonable price point,” said State Senator Leroy Comrie. “I am confident that the MTA's CityTicket expansion to peak hours will provide even greater accessibility to New York City's outer-borough commuters with a bit of financial relief also. After fierce advocacy by me and my colleagues, transit advocates, and the public, I commend Governor Hochul and Mayor Adams for their advocacy and leadership at the MTA for finally pushing this through to fruition.” 

“The CityTicket program gives New Yorkers an affordable way to travel within our city,” said State Senate Deputy Leader Michael Gianaris. “We must continue to expand cost-effective, efficient travel options like this so everybody can travel throughout the five boroughs more easily.” 

“Anything the MTA can do to make New Yorker’s already complicated commutes easier and more affordable will go a long way toward the goal of getting more people back onto public transportation,” said State Senator John Liu. “Thank you to the MTA for expanding the popular CityTicket program and for continuing to develop new ways to make travel more convenient for New Yorkers." 

“I have been promoting this idea for years. CityTicket has a proven track record,” said State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky. “Expanding the program to peak commuter trains will reduce congestion on our roadways while providing people with a safe, cost-efficient mode of travel. I thank the MTA for this decision, which will greatly benefit my constituents in Queens.”  

“I applaud the MTA's efforts to make travel by railroads affordable throughout the five boroughs," said State Senator Roxanne J. Persaud. “Lowering peak fare from $10.75 to $7.00 under the new expansion plan will greatly incentivize thousands of New Yorkers to utilize this service daily.  More people using the railroad service will ease traffic congestion and shorten travel times for many, which aligns to lower emissions by encouraging mass transit travel via railroads.” 

“Northeast Queens has limited transit options, and many residents rely on the Long Island Rail Road for their morning and evening commutes,” said Assembly Member Edward Braunstein. “Expanding the successful CityTicket program to peak hours will save Northeast Queens residents traveling within New York City precious time and money. I celebrate the expansion of the program and commend the MTA and LIRR for their work to implement the discounted ticket program for NYC riders.” 

“As many folks across the Bronx rely on public transportation, the high price of fares has caused them a great deal of financial distress,” said Assembly Member Kenny Burgos. “The expansion of CityTicket to peak hours will make fares more affordable and help ease the burden for commuters. I applaud the MTA for taking this step that will benefit New Yorkers in need." 

“We are excited about the expansion of the CityTicket to peak commuter times,” said Assembly Member Clyde Vanel. “My community is a transportation desert, where the cost to commute is cost prohibitive.  This program will help ease much of the cost for our commuters.” 

“The CityTicket is an affordable and efficient way for New Yorkers to use the LIRR to commute throughout our great city at a faster pace than existing alternatives,” said Assembly Member Andrew Hevesi. “By expanding City Ticket service to peak hours, the LIRR will be saving hundreds of Queens commuters money on their commute. I would like to thank the Governor, Mayor, and MTA for their work on this.” 

“I'm thrilled to hear that the MTA's CityTicket program is being expanded to offer peak-hour commuters reduced fares when traveling on the LIRR within the five boroughs,” said Assembly Member Juan Ardila. “Our city and state must continue in this tradition of making mass transit affordable and accessible to all New Yorkers.” 

“I am thrilled that the MTA will expand the LIRR CityTicket program to include peak travel times. My district is a transit desert where working-class commuters face a long, tiresome, and expensive commute,” said Assembly Member Khaleel Anderson. “This continued expansion will help to address long-standing inequities in public transit for Far Rockaway, Rosedale, Laurelton, and the rest of Southeast Queens. I will continue to hold the MTA to a higher standard of accountability as we seek to provide relief for working-class commuters and promote transit equity & economic growth across Southeast Queens and beyond.” 

“As someone who frequently uses the CityTicket, I am happy to see the MTA expanding this program to peak hours to better serve our communities,” said Assembly Member and Chair of the Committee on Aging Ron Kim. “It is essential that we continue to make public transit as convenient and affordable as possible for all New Yorkers.” 

“CityTicket has been a low-cost flat-fare available to commuters on the Metro-North Railroad and Long Island Rail Road during off-peak hours. Starting in August 2023, the fare will be expanded to include peak hours, as well as travel to and from Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station,” said Assembly Member Alicia L. Hyndman. “To see the original CityTicket expand from Laurelton, Rosedale and Hollis to all peak-hour trains is momentous progress and support for commuters.” 

“Today marks a significant milestone in our journey towards a more accessible and connected NYC,” said NYC Council Member Nantasha Williams. “With the MTA's expansion of CityTicket to peak commuter railroad trains, we celebrate the increased transportation opportunities for our citizens. As an avid LIRR user, I am especially glad to hear this news! This step forward reflects our commitment to building a city where mobility knows no boundaries. Together, we pave the way for a brighter, more connected future.”  

“In my transit-rich district, which is home to the busiest bus-to-transfer location in the transit system, one option is often overlooked, namely the Long Island Railroad,” said NYC Councilmember Sandra Ung. “One of the reasons is because it was always a more expensive option, but the expansion of the CityTicket program to peak hours will help bring it more inline with the fares on subway and buses. The CityTicket’s expansion to all off-peak hours was a success. I’m sure the inclusion of on-peak hours will not only be a welcome alternative for commuters, but also help alleviate crowding on our buses and subways, benefiting all users of mass transit.”

For this increase "my opinion" I think they did a good job for the LIRR/MNR peak fares for city tickets because they lower the amount.  Yes no one like fare increases BUT at least there is "SOME GOOD NEWS".

Let's see what in 2025 and it is 2 years from now what the price increase "or" decreases will be.  I PRAY it will DECREASE for the LIRR/MNR for city tickets.

Edited by mikecintel

For me, the best news would be is if the new City Ticket includes a free transfer to the subway or buses. Then I’d definitely use the LIRR more. Weather permitting, of course, because my nearest station is Auburndale, and I live near 16th Avenue, so walking down to 39th Avenue is a long way to go, no matter which way I go.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

8 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

For me, the best news would be is if the new City Ticket includes a free transfer to the subway or buses. Then I’d definitely use the LIRR more. Weather permitting, of course, because my nearest station is Auburndale, and I live near 16th Avenue, so walking down to 39th Avenue is a long way to go, no matter which way I go.

Ahh yes that would be a good thing so double pay again.  Maybe in for the next fare increase they will add that feature or maybe sooner.

Every time I scroll through almost any social media post involving the (MTA), whether about the R211s, other system improvements or minor changes, or the fare increases, the comments almost always have the same alarming narrative. Something like hopping the turnstiles, not paying, or complaining that we pay too much and that $2.90 (or even $2.75) is too expensive for a (insert negative word) service like the (MTA). This is the average rider on social media's thought process now regarding the MTA. Many ordinary riders that I talk to that are my friends share the same question: why are we paying and why are we paying more (especially for something that doesn't seem to get better)? It just doesn't seem like there is visible serious action being done to improve customer opinion, and this social media mob mentality will also put a dent in fare collection.

P.S. Another can of worms is that evading the fare is a social media trend of its own, whether with people hopping, going in directly behind someone else, or grabbing the emergency door open, and there is absolutely nothing done about it.

15 minutes ago, Tonyboy515 said:

Every time I scroll through almost any social media post involving the (MTA), whether about the R211s, other system improvements or minor changes, or the fare increases, the comments almost always have the same alarming narrative. Something like hopping the turnstiles, not paying, or complaining that we pay too much and that $2.90 (or even $2.75) is too expensive for a (insert negative word) service like the (MTA). This is the average rider on social media's thought process now regarding the MTA. Many ordinary riders that I talk to that are my friends share the same question: why are we paying and why are we paying more (especially for something that doesn't seem to get better)? It just doesn't seem like there is visible serious action being done to improve customer opinion, and this social media mob mentality will also put a dent in fare collection.

P.S. Another can of worms is that evading the fare is a social media trend of its own, whether with people hopping, going in directly behind someone else, or grabbing the emergency door open, and there is absolutely nothing done about it.

Yes and it’s true, people won’t be willing to pay $2.75, because there is seriously no improvements being done at all, for example the MTA is lacking on Station renewals, no new projects like this are being added to the capital program (except for the Flushing and Jamaica stations renewals), stations are crumbling, that’s where the MTA should start focusing first since it’s where customers will first judge off, signal problems are also one of the biggest issues on the subway, it’s the number 1 cause of delays, increasing the fare is just not fair for people that pay their fare, they should focus on how to satisfy customer service