R268 (R68/R68A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

4 hours ago, Travis Mcnonald said:

True, but look at the MTA's design language over the last 23 years or so. All the recent car orders from 1999-2000 onwards (until the R211s) were modeled after the most recent previous car order. For the IRT, it was the R142 that lead to the R188 (although in that case, the R188 cars were more or less the equivalent of a DLC expansion pack for the R142/As). Meanwhile, the R143s were followed by the R160s and more recently, the R179s. With this in might, I would not be surpised if the R268s turnout to be damn near identical to the R211s.

I mean sure yes but you still cannot know that right now

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

I'm pretty sure the R268s will be 75-Footers. Am I right?

We’re not sure about anything besides what it’s replacing yet, but the reasonable answer would be no since as far as we can see, the MTA wants everything to be as standardized as possible. Examples: R143, R160, R179, R211 are all 60 feet and can run on the Myrtle, Jamaica, and Canarsie lines since they’re short enough to not clip other trains, and they can have cars removed from their sets to put them into passenger service on the mentioned lines. We won’t see the MTA experiment for a while…

5 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

you will most likely never see another new 75 foot car order gain. Transit learned it wasnt worth it with its restrictions 

Edited by Comrade96
typo

3 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

you will most likely never see another new 75 foot car order gain. Transit learned it wasnt worth it with its restrictions 

Perhaps you should blame the Cypress-Crescent curve on the (J)/(Z) line. I don't know about the (L)'s sharp curves tho', but I feel like we need to improve them both to gain back the 75-Footers.

22 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

Most likely 60-footers. Ain't no way the MTA gonna purchase anything longer than a 60-footer for the rest of their existence after what cons the 75-footers got against the Nassau St line, the Canarsie line, the M line in Bklyn and to Met Av. But then again, if the MTA do want it to be that way, let it be.

1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

We do actually need it in some stations, it's just that the infrastructure won't allow it. 

Yes that’s exactly my point, with our current infrastructure, it’s just not possible to install it on all stations, people will still complain that their home station don’t got platform screen doors

18 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

Perhaps you should blame the Cypress-Crescent curve on the (J)/(Z) line. I don't know about the (L)'s sharp curves tho', but I feel like we need to improve them both to gain back the 75-Footers.

No we don't. 

First of all, 75 foot cars weigh more. Second, an 8 car train of 75-footwrs has 64 doors versus the 80 on 10 60-foot cars. This increases dwell times and contributed to many delays. That's exactly why as soon as the (N) (Q) (W) got their 160s, the (E) and (F) were next.

Second, if we are to ever get platform screen doors, we need standardized door placement.

Third, the ends of 75 foot cars swing at switches. It's fine for systems designed for 75-footers, but our B Division was designed to handle 67-foot cars without mods. That includes BMT East. It took quite a bit of modification for the things to even fit our tunnels.

Last, but not least, they cost more to construct and operate.

Every extra pound must be built.

Every extra pound must be accelerated and braked.

Every extra pound costs money.

4 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

We do actually need it in some stations, it's just that the infrastructure won't allow it. 

There are a shitload of PSD types. I'm sure there's one out there suitable for us. And if not, one will have to be made.

If the BMT could figure out a subway car design that could work on the demolished Els, something can be figured out for this

Edited by LTA1992

19 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

Perhaps you can elaborate on your point about the Crescent Street curve ? I don’t know your age but BMT Standards , 67 foot cars, ran along the line from Broad Street to 168th Street and Jamaica Avenue. As far as the (L) line’s sharp curves perhaps you should ride it sometime before belittling the route. It’s the 75 foot equipment that was a waste of money in my opinion. The BMT didn’t demolish the Lexington or Myrtle Avenue Elevated lines. The City of New York did it because they would be too costly to repair or replace. The NYCT wouldn’t go back to an oddball fleet again. My experience with the agency tells me that. Carry on.

23 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

its not just the curves, the tracks on the williamsburg bridge can not have 2 75 foot trains travelling on it at the same time in opposite directions

3 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

75 Feet or 60 Feet, the R268 needs to have a difference between it and the currently-operating R211

My guy, you're worried about the wrong things right now. We have trains like the R143 and R160 that are almost identically the same in terms of looks all around and the same with the R179's to it's predecessors. Best you move on from this because it's literally not worth talking about anymore.

44 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

My guy, you're worried about the wrong things right now. We have trains like the R143 and R160 that are almost identically the same in terms of looks all around and the same with the R179's to it's predecessors. Best you move on from this because it's literally not worth talking about anymore.

Perhaps changing the propulsion would be best?

10 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

Perhaps changing the propulsion would be best?

Propulsion, Motors, Trucks, Car Bodies. None of that matters in the long Run. ...well, outside of maintaining the trains and keeping them in a good state of Repair of course. 

Heck, I don't think anybody here really cares is the 268's are nearly identical to the 211's. As long as there's enough trains to provide Service, thats all thats really important at the end of the day.