R268 (R68/R68A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

3 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

What do you mean? Anytime a new car order comes about, cars swap around all the time. Why would it be any different now?

Because we won’t know if CBTC would be done installing on All BMT/IND lines by at least 2031 (7.5 years time given) when another round of car orders starts to come in play. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Because we won’t know if CBTC would be done installing on All BMT/IND lines by at least 2031 (7.5 years time given) when another round of car orders starts to come in play. 

All IND lines will need to be all tech trains regardless. The (B) and (D) will need tech trains because of 8th ave due to re routes and GOs. When 6th ave CBTC work starts, The (D) and (F) are going to be re routed down 8th ave or Broadway ((F) via broadway and west end and (D) via 8th ave and culver) The (G) is all R160s now due to fleet flexibility and the soon to be culver CBTC since it shares the line with the (F) when they cut up trains at ave x yard to form (G) trains and vise versa.  Even If 6th ave and crosstown CBTC is done by 2031, They would still need to be all tech trains before CBTC is active. It more of making things more simple rather than complicated. 8th ave is slatted to be done in 2 years but knowing the (MTA) I would say mid 2026.

Also by the time 6th ave CBTC is completed, The (Q) would probably be the first line to get R268s so this way if a (Q) gets re routed, It wouldn't be an issue. CI yard would already have a decent chunk of tech trains anyway so adding the first 150 R268s would make both the (B) and (Q) 100% tech.

Edited by R32 3838

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

So you're saying that r160s going to the (B) & (D) isn't gonna happen because CBTC may not be fully completed by then?

That's not how that works. You make it sound as if NTTs can't run on these lines without CBTC; that's what bypass mode is for. Even if CBTC isn't fully installed by then, the r160s (or any NTT) can still run on the (B) & (D) in CBTC bypass mode. It happens all the time on other lines.

Whether it's r160s or r211s, these two lines will be getting NTTs. So I'm not sure what point you were trying to make here.

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

In every CBTC install, the lines in question became fully NTT at least a year before installation was complete if not more. This is a moot point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, R32 3838 said:

It would be the same design with more improvements from the R211 order, It'll probably be all open gangway as well.

As for the R262s. If it were up to me, I would have given it to Alstom since they own the bombardier R142 design and at the same time they could also rebuild the r142s to R262 specs minus the open gangway. This would make the most sense besides just converting the cars to CBTC. But If Kawasaki gets it then they can rebuild the remaining R142A's to R262 specs minus the open gangway along with the brand new R262s.

If the R268 is not made by Kawasaki, the chances are more than likely that the design will be quite different.

10 minutes ago, DriftsBjartery said:

If the R268 is not made by Kawasaki, the chances are more than likely that the design will be quite different.

Not true. There will be slight differences (speaker location and shape, truck design, door motors, etc), but overall, the design will be nearly the same.

There won't be another generational leap until the R142 replacements in the 2040s. The later 2030s and early 2040s will be relatively quiet after the 268s are done since there will be nothing to replace.

Even if Kawasaki does not make the R268 it will probably look similar. R143, R160, and R179 were made by 3 different manufacturers and still look pretty similar. There should be differences such as technological developments (R160 has FIND for instance where the R143 does not).

10 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

Even if Kawasaki does not make the R268 it will probably look similar. R143, R160, and R179 were made by 3 different manufacturers and still look pretty similar. There should be differences such as technological developments (R160 has FIND for instance where the R143 does not).

No, it’ll have a similar look like the R211’s

On 6/9/2023 at 8:02 PM, R32 3838 said:

It'll probably a 800 car order. You need 755 60 foot R268s to replace the entire R68 fleet, They'll probably add an additional 45 cars for fleet expansion totaling up to 800 cars. Makes me think the Base would be at least 400 cars with the option order being 400 cars.

You need at least 785 cars to replace the R68/As entirely. 

770 to replace the R68/A cars currently on the B, D, N, Q, W. If part of the fleet is for the Franklin Avenue Shuttle I estimate up to 12 more. 782. Then I would say 50 or so cars for fleet expansion and maybe Second Avenue Subway. In the case that R211 option order 2 is not exercised (unlikely but not impossible), it would be much more, up to 500.

I estimate 832 cars is a minimum. We will need to see what the MTA needs though.

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, cony said:

Any reason why the rolling stock for the NTTs seem to always be manufactured by Bombardier/Alstom or Kawasaki? Why doesn't the MTA ever go with other manufacturers like CAF, Siemens, Stadler, etc?

The R160B were built by Siemese, also, Alright, this is stupid, ur just building the R179 but better, it will now be the new lemons now, the R68/A and the R62/A and the R46 and the twin R44 should not retire, they are the last 4 SMEE we will know dating back from 1985/84, and 1972/73, if they retire, SMEE fans will hate for them to retire, just give them anoher 50 years before they retire, the R62 are 29 and you want them to retire them, and dang those R68 are 27, just give them another 50 year so they will not have the same fate as the R32, also, BRING BACK THE f**kING DAMN R32s, THEY ARE THE LEADER OF THE MTA TRANSIT(They should be builted by kawasaki, or alstom, and i think we will give Bombardier Transportation a chance to build them, and this is not copy and paste)Alright, this is stupid, ur just building the R179 but better, it will now be the new lemons now, the R68/A and the R62/A and the R46 and the twin R44 should not retire, they are the last 4 SMEE we will know dating back from 1985/84, and 1972/73, if they retire, SMEE fans will hate for them to retire, just give them anoher 50 years before they retire, the R62 are 29 and you want them to retire them, and dang those R68 are 27, just give them another 50 year so they will not have the same fate as the R32, also, BRING BACK THE f**kING DAMN R32s, THEY ARE THE LEADER OF THE MTA TRANSIT(They should be builted by kawasaki, or alstom, and i think we will give Bombardier Transportation a chance to build them, and this is not copy and paste)

19 hours ago, Urtransitbudy said:

The R160B were built by Siemese, also, Alright, this is stupid, ur just building the R179 but better, it will now be the new lemons now, the R68/A and the R62/A and the R46 and the twin R44 should not retire, they are the last 4 SMEE we will know dating back from 1985/84, and 1972/73, if they retire, SMEE fans will hate for them to retire, just give them anoher 50 years before they retire, the R62 are 29 and you want them to retire them, and dang those R68 are 27, just give them another 50 year so they will not have the same fate as the R32, also, BRING BACK THE f**kING DAMN R32s, THEY ARE THE LEADER OF THE MTA TRANSIT(They should be builted by kawasaki, or alstom, and i think we will give Bombardier Transportation a chance to build them, and this is not copy and paste)Alright, this is stupid, ur just building the R179 but better, it will now be the new lemons now, the R68/A and the R62/A and the R46 and the twin R44 should not retire, they are the last 4 SMEE we will know dating back from 1985/84, and 1972/73, if they retire, SMEE fans will hate for them to retire, just give them anoher 50 years before they retire, the R62 are 29 and you want them to retire them, and dang those R68 are 27, just give them another 50 year so they will not have the same fate as the R32, also, BRING BACK THE f**kING DAMN R32s, THEY ARE THE LEADER OF THE MTA TRANSIT(They should be builted by kawasaki, or alstom, and i think we will give Bombardier Transportation a chance to build them, and this is not copy and paste)

bruv.

20 hours ago, Urtransitbudy said:

My brain hurts...

21 hours ago, Urtransitbudy said:

I don’t get that you’re not getting anything here bud. Have you ever heard the damn phrase ‘Nothing ever lasts forever’?

Edited by Ale188

21 hours ago, Urtransitbudy said:

Lemme explain this whole thing here. All NYCT 44s, the remaining 44s and all 46s are all gonna be gone by 2028. MOF, all 75 footers are gonna be gone by 2040. Literally all NYCT 44s we’re gone by Spring 2013! The 62/A and 68/A are planning to get retired soon. You don’t know math either cuz the 44 SIR cars are 50, the 46s are 48, the 62s are almost (if not, a little bit older than) 40, the As are 39, 68s are 34, and those As are 32, and if you give all four of em another 50 years, *literally a SMEE derailment happening every hour in Manhattan in 2055* Oh, look, one derailed! Not surprising! The MTA would have a good amount of fleet shortages every time, increasing DAILY, and 0 f**kIN PEOPLE are gonna bring back dem 32s. Only for fan trips. Yeah, once every 6 months. You’re even lucky they preserved an 8-car set, plus 3828-29, Or else you would by out of luck. If 32s ever get rebuilt again, they would be made by ACF if they were still standin. So, if you don’t like the plan that the rest of these SMEES are going to retire soon (starting near my bday next year, could be earlier), that is on only one person… you. You gotta accept it. It ain’t a choice. You don’t see no ME-1s runnin on the SIR anymore, do you? No. Ya don’t. Life is life, and you gotta live it. 

Edited by Ale188

22 hours ago, Urtransitbudy said:

You’re like 5 years old

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, Comrade96 said:

you literally can not know that at this point in time

True, but look at the MTA's design language over the last 23 years or so. All the recent car orders from 1999-2000 onwards (until the R211s) were modeled after the most recent previous car order. For the IRT, it was the R142 that lead to the R188 (although in that case, the R188 cars were more or less the equivalent of a DLC expansion pack for the R142/As). Meanwhile, the R143s were followed by the R160s and more recently, the R179s. With this in might, I would not be surpised if the R268s turnout to be damn near identical to the R211s.