R268 (R68/R68A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

6 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Propulsion, Motors, Trucks, Car Bodies. None of that matters in the long Run. ...well, outside of maintaining the trains and keeping them in a good state of Repair of course. 

Heck, I don't think anybody here really cares is the 268's are nearly identical to the 211's. As long as there's enough trains to provide Service, thats all thats really important at the end of the day. 

Let's leave them identical. Perhaps nobody will know the difference.

They might be more of "twins" than the R40M and R42.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

why though? the current one works fine

Well, there was supposed to be a door chime for the R211 back when it was mocked up at 34th Street-Hudson Yards in Late 2017. It was replaced by the R143/R160/R179 door chime when it was leaked on YouTube.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:56 AM, MJHmarc said:

Can’t have platform doors unless all fleet are the same size. 

For the most common type of PSD, yes. But there are other types, such as vertical and adaptable: 

https://www.go-straffic.com/solutions/ground_transportation/psd_vpsd.html?ckattempt=3

https://www.masats.es/en-uk/platform-adaptable-screen-doors/

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

For the most common type of PSD, yes. But there are other types, such as vertical and adaptable: 

https://www.go-straffic.com/solutions/ground_transportation/psd_vpsd.html?ckattempt=3

https://www.masats.es/en-uk/platform-adaptable-screen-doors/

Yes i agree with you that it could work but brings up the cost. On top each station here having different configs as it is…while fleet are being changed anyways that makes more sense to adapt or try to match with vs the other way around…….as long as the MTA doesn’t want make the doors wider to the point of having no windows lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 7:50 PM, R142A-6-Train said:

Well, there was supposed to be a door chime for the R211 back when it was mocked up at 34th Street-Hudson Yards in Late 2017. It was replaced by the R143/R160/R179 door chime when it was leaked on YouTube.

I will never understand why people took those chimes seriously. The announcements were text to speech too

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, joey kranczer said:

i would like to suggest to the mta to start building the new r268 subway cars by 2025-26 that way we have better service 

Not happening. We still got the rest of the R211s and the R262s. We also got 46s, SIR 44s, and 62/As to replace. We can't just jump to replace the 68/As. They didn't even turn 40 yet. I suggest build them in 2035-36, or about 6 months after SAS Phase 2 is complete the earliest

Edited by Ale188

38 minutes ago, joey kranczer said:

i would like to suggest to the mta to start building the new r268 subway cars by 2025-26 that way we have better service 

Don't try to think that the MTA should have to rush these things.....

3 hours ago, joey kranczer said:

The R262s are first on the docket after the R211s are done. nothing has been decided about the 268s yet other than "yeah, we want to buy them"... how can they start building these cars next year when they haven't even tendered a contract for them? 

6 hours ago, joey kranczer said:

Please familiarize yourself with this board as well as nycsubway.org to educate yourself about the equipment.

The mta does not build subway cars.  That job is contracted out.  R46's from the mid 70's are being replaced now and all their replacements are not even ordered as of today. Here they are replacing about 750 cars.  There are over 1,000 IRT cars older than the R68/68A's.  These should be replaced prior too.  So we have a long way to go before we can order R268's which would ultimately replace the R68/68A's. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got some potential news from the grapevine, would be nothing too new but as always take it with a grain of salt.

Car equipment's current plan is to keep the r68s around for around another 8-10 years due to them being purchased with federal funding way back when, so dont expect the 268s for a while. Of course, the car equipment of today will most likely not be the same car equipment a few years from now, as always, grain of salt.....

Posted (edited)
On 1/21/2024 at 9:51 AM, MJHmarc said:

R160’s has set the bar so anything after that will look somewhat like it..but don’t expect the 268’s to look too much different from 211/179’s whatever year this happens. 

It set the bar for that generation of cars. The 211s are the base of a new generation.

I still think the generations will be defined from the first digit from now on. There's no other explanation for numbers bloat as when it came to pre-NTTs, close contract numbers usually defined families. R1-9, R12/14/15/16/17, R21/22, R26/27/28/29/30, things like that. There would always be minor differences (for example, picture windows appearing on the 32/36WF), but families nonetheless. Divisions don't apply

Edited by LTA1992

On 3/15/2024 at 10:59 AM, Comrade96 said:

Got some potential news from the grapevine, would be nothing too new but as always take it with a grain of salt.

Car equipment's current plan is to keep the r68s around for around another 8-10 years due to them being purchased with federal funding way back when, so dont expect the 268s for a while. Of course, the car equipment of today will most likely not be the same car equipment a few years from now, as always, grain of salt.....

I don’t think it’s to anyone surprised the R68’s/A’s will be around for a while and will likely replace the r46’s running on the N Q W. 

5 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

I don’t think it’s to anyone surprised the R68’s/A’s will be around for a while and will likely replace the r46’s running on the N Q W. 

yeah, thats why I mentioned it as not-so-new news