NYPD to begin Operation Fare Play in the subway

From twitter:

According to the NYPD, farebeating is the #1 complaint from the riding public. As usual, it’s caused some controversy among elected officials and the comments are mixed reactions. What are your thoughts?

Long overdue.  They need to put in the kind of fare gates used by the PATCO system in Philly/South Jersey with the doors tall enough to avoid jumping and low enough to avoid crawling (also having them ADA compliant).  

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Long overdue.  They need to put in the kind of fare gates used by the PATCO system in Philly/South Jersey with the doors tall enough to avoid jumping and low enough to avoid crawling (also having them ADA compliant).  

That is what we had in the past, not sure when or why NYCTA transitioned to the fare gates we have now. 

If only this announcement means they’d actually make an effort to peel themselves off of the mezzanine walls and catch people obvious farebeating in front of them. I saw a pair at Fulton Center hop over the turnstiles right in front of the cops 20 feet away. They were taking their sweet time getting over them and neither of the cops lifted a leg to give the chase.

1 minute ago, Kamen Rider said:

No, not. HEET or an Iron Maden..

PATCO uses gates more like what they installed at Supthin-Archer, just… taller.

http://www.ridepatco.org/schedules/freedom_reduced_fare.html

Oh, my bad.

Someone also said to install fare gates like these along the Atlantic Branch of the LIRR and Melrose & Tremont of MNRR.

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

If only this announcement means they’d actually make an effort to peel themselves off of the mezzanine walls and catch people obvious farebeating in front of them. I saw a pair at Fulton Center hop over the turnstiles right in front of the cops 20 feet away. They were taking their sweet time getting over them and neither of the cops lifted a leg to give the chase.

Well, the cops aren't exactly obligated to do a damn thing, but even if they were, this would still be a massive resource sink.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh, my bad.

Someone also said to install fare gates like these along the Atlantic Branch of the LIRR and Melrose & Tremont of MNRR.

Because you're more likely to see black people around them?

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Well, the cops aren't exactly obligated to do a damn thing, but even if they were, this would still be a massive resource sink.

Because you're more likely to see black people around them?

What?

There must be an equal effort to ensure working fare machines at every location where fare enforcement takes place. Otherwise, those that cannot pay any fare because none of the fare machines are working properly are criminalized. I have witnessed this countless times where NYPD is posted up at a station entrance for fare enforcement only to stand around and let people in themselves when none of the fare machines are accepting cash.

Not everyone always has a bank card or balance readily available for use, and if putting a $5 bill on a Metrocard instead of going into overdraft is too difficult because there are no operable fare machines accepting cash it's inevitable people will have no choice but to wait until the fare gate opens.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That is what we had in the past, not sure when or why NYCTA transitioned to the fare gates we have now. 

Because some people are too fat to squeeze thru the HEET gates and if they malfunction people get stuck

Posted (edited)

Here’s a very cheap solution that no one has come up with. Close all but ONE subway entrance at each station and ONLY one turnstile in service for incoming passengers, a two armed guards with a rifle and attack dog positioned watching people pay the fare ONE AT A TIME. And yes, lines will be equivalent to those at the airport, but that’s what happens when people fare beat. Everyone then has to be treated like babies. At least this should be a thing until a system similar to E-ZPass is set up and will scan every commuters credit cards, phones, and forcibly extract the fare from one of the accounts. No gates, just an arch people have to walk under, and a red X will go off in the lane of the person that didn’t pay, and that person will be sprayed with a fluorescent dye that will be scanned at each staircase and cops will patrol the trains. Anyone that has the dye will be fined. BOOM! Problem solved. So if you don’t want your $1900 cocktail dress or $5790 Hermes bag sprayed with dye, pay the damn fare

Edited by darkstar8983

Posted (edited)

While I know you are being facetious, what really irks me is when I see some well dressed guy (always guy) jumping the gates.  Clearly can afford the expensive clothes but still too much of a jerk to pay the fare.

Yesterday I got on at W4th St and there were 5 cops and 2 national guard guys standing in the narrow area in front of the turnstiles.

Edited by zacster

1 hour ago, zacster said:

While I know you are being facetious, what really irks me is when I see some well dressed guy (always guy) jumping the gates.  Clearly can afford the expensive clothes but still too much of a jerk to pay the fare.

Yesterday I got on at W4th St and there were 5 cops and 2 national guard guys standing in the narrow area in front of the turnstiles.

It's all show at these busy high profile Manhattan stations. No "customer" is going to mess around with THEM!  But ain't happening at these low profile stations on the outskirts of the system and in high crime neighborhoods.  There will be lots of "customers" who won't pay, who won't want to, who claim they have no money, despite some of them dressed in expensive clothes, jewelry, shoes, and the skells who they just want to get rid of.  2 cops at a station "making sure" everybody pays simply isn't happening.  Why?  Because the cops want to go home to their family at the end of the day.  Can you blame them?  how would you handle it if YOU were the cop?

Look at PO Diller who got killed the other night.  Just going up to some dudes blocking a bus stop, with the intent of getting them out of there.  Now he's dead.  

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 8:10 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Here’s a very cheap solution that no one has come up with. Close all but ONE subway entrance at each station and ONLY one turnstile in service for incoming passengers, a two armed guards with a rifle and attack dog positioned watching people pay the fare ONE AT A TIME. And yes, lines will be equivalent to those at the airport, but that’s what happens when people fare beat. Everyone then has to be treated like babies. At least this should be a thing until a system similar to E-ZPass is set up and will scan every commuters credit cards, phones, and forcibly extract the fare from one of the accounts. No gates, just an arch people have to walk under, and a red X will go off in the lane of the person that didn’t pay, and that person will be sprayed with a fluorescent dye that will be scanned at each staircase and cops will patrol the trains. Anyone that has the dye will be fined. BOOM! Problem solved. So if you don’t want your $1900 cocktail dress or $5790 Hermes bag sprayed with dye, pay the damn fare

You’re joking right ? 😂 Nvm, I just remembered on multiple occasions you let a train pass you cause it was a 46/68 so I know you’re being serious. The fact that at your grown age, you sat here, thought this out, typed it, read it over (or maybe you didn’t, it doesn’t seem like you did ) , and still pressed submit is ridiculous, please pull your head back onto earth and out of whatever inane deluded space it’s in because what type of “solutions” are these ? 😂

Edited by Maxwell179

Originally posted this in Random thoughts but I realized it also belongs in this thread: 

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

SEPTA in Philly is installing new turnstiles in the 69th Street station on the Market-Frankford Line in Upper Darby (just outside the city limits):

SEPTA needs to make these gates taller and lower so people can't jump or crawl underneath. Otherwise, these are the kind of turnstiles the (MTA) needs to be installing at subway stations to cut down on fare beating.