Question about the R68/68A

Lefferts Blvd X

Do you think that the R68/68A will undergo a mid-life overhaul anytime soon similar to other subway cars in the past, or will they just be replaced with newer subway cars over time? What do you think?

The (MTA) might not have enough money to overhaul them, but in my opinion I think the R68 should go under overhaul, not R68A.

@Ulmer: If one goes under, both should go under. Keeps consistency with parts, and allows the (MTA) to buy in bulk.

@AWWang: Scratches and dents won't go away if they're on the car body.

Personally I would not mind seeing LCD side destination signs on the R68/As, and a different interior, but they're fine the way they are right now.

Wuchu mean where it operates? U mean the people that live there are more likely to scratch em up? And plus I think thats why the interiors of the R142/143/160 have a FLAT color appearence cause scratches will not show as much then if its on a stainless steel interior like the R62/62A/68/68A have. then again graffiti wud be easier to clean off of the stainless steel interiors...its a trade off but at the end of the day Wuchu gonna do?

The R-68s have already had an SMS not terribly long ago. Why is there any reason to overhaul them unless their performance or condition is bad enough to warrant it? And what is the reason for overhauling the R-68s, but not the R-68A???

it was 2004 to be exact.

the R68's that are on the (D) need a lil more fixing. other than that the R68/R68A's are fine. those cars are not going anywhere for another 20 maybe 30 years. they still in good condition...as a matter of fact, i just got off of one right now, lol. R68A on the (Q).

Guest Charles
Well, Charles... The R68 suffer from these Scratchitti because of where it operates...

--------

These kids these days, so bored, nothing to find to do... Go travel the world and stop wasting money on things you already have... LOLz, :P!

well what do you mean by where it operates? that's very generalized and sometimes inaccurate. The (D) and (4) are about 3 blocks away from each other in the Bronx...explain why the R142s are rather clean. Remeber, scratchitti wasn't widespread in the late 80s and 90s, it's a 2000s thing.

-- And who said it was just kids?

Wuchu mean where it operates? U mean the people that live there are more likely to scratch em up? And plus I think thats why the interiors of the R142/143/160 have a FLAT color appearence cause scratches will not show as much then if its on a stainless steel interior like the R62/62A/68/68A have. then again graffiti wud be easier to clean off of the stainless steel interiors...its a trade off but at the end of the day Wuchu gonna do?

The R-62/62A/68/68As were ordered during the 1980s when graffiti was the issue at hand. The stainless steel interiors were supposed to make it easier to clean off any graffiti since those car classes were guaranteed to be kept graffiti-free. Scratchitti hadn't started at that time, so it wasn't even an issue of a trade-off. Some say that the entire scratchitti trend or epidemic or whatever started with the R-68s since they were such easy targets for it.

well what do you mean by where it operates? that's very generalized and sometimes inaccurate. The (D) and (4) are about 3 blocks away from each other in the Bronx...explain why the R142s are rather clean. Remeber, scratchitti wasn't widespread in the late 80s and 90s, it's a 2000s thing.

Scratchitti was very alive by the 90s.

why are the fronts of those trains so dam dirty...they need a bath...looking like eddie after he got grounded in that tunnel for all that time...remember shinning time station LMAO...i think his name was eddie...the green train...number 5 i think...

Do you think that the R68/68A will undergo a mid-life overhaul anytime soon similar to other subway cars in the past, or will they just be replaced with newer subway cars over time? What do you think?
They do not need to be overhauled. They go under SMS, which improves a car's performance. The R68s have received new door motors. They also got WABCO brake valves to make the brakes faster. They also got Adtranz E-Cam Propulsion Systems, replacing their old Westinghouse Cam Propulsion.

The R68As also got Adtranz E-Cam Propulsion Systems, replacing the old Westinghouse Cam Propulsion Systems.

And the R68s and R68As are doing well in terms of MDBF, thanks to SMS, so GOHs are not needed.

Archived