The longest and shortest bus rotues

ghome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Staten Island

Longest: S74 and S78 from St. George Terminal to Tottenville (16.5 miles and 17.8 miles)

Shortest: S42

Manhattan

Longest: *M1, M5, M15 and M101

Shortest: M18

The Bronx

Longest: Bx1/2, Bx40/42 and Bx41

Shortest: Bx27

Queens

Longest: Q43, Q44 and Q46

Shortest: Q45, Q64 and Q79

Brooklyn

Longest: B6, B15, B44, B46 and B82

Shortest: B2, B31, B74 and B77

There is no way the Q79 is short, let alone the shortest in Queens. It runs the entire length of LN Pkwy which is a good 60+ blocks. The Q43 or 46 isn't longer than the Q53 or 111/113

The Queens shortest is the Q22A followed by the Q42.

I think the m22 is shorter than the m18.

As for the bx the 27, the 20 might be the same length but the 13 and 18 are shorter.

Guys you forgot one important long route. You guys are guessing. This is fact from various sources from MTA website and others.

Yep, those are correct facts.

I thought I was the only one scratching my head about what kind of responses were being posted, lol ... they are no doubt guesses.

Just because a route has low ridership doesn't mean it's short. Manhattan is 2 miles wide at it's widest point so I'm sure the crosstown routes will be the shortest.
The Bx8 is a perfect example, I can't tell you how many times I was the ONLY one on that Bx8 on a weekday, including rush hours.

Thank You Acela. I thought i was the only logical one on this question on NYC area bus routes.

Not just you, bro... It's evident that people were guessing; when ppl. are listing more than one route for the shortest & the longest for each borough..... We just didn't stress it as much as you did B)

Just because a route has low ridership doesn't mean it's short.

That's another thing I've noticed about some of the replies.... A route's mileage has zero to do with the passengers (or lack thereof) of that particular route...

Also, you can't fully judge distances on these bus maps... some blocks in certain neighborhoods are closer together than others, and some are further apart...

--------------------

I wonder if there's anything regarding route distances for each route, for each borough that's ever been "leaked" out on the net... or would this be something that's kept private by the MTA for w/e reason(s).....

Anyone know what is the longest Manhattan crosstown route is? I'm just wondering.

not official, but here are the x-town routes whose distances I found out using mapquest....

M8: 2.26 mi [EB]

M14a: 3.21 mi [EB] (from abingdon sq)

M14d: 3.76 mi [EB]

M21: 3.24 mi [EB]

M22: 2.94 mi [EB]

M23: 2.45 mi [WB]

M34: 2.01 mi [EB]

M42: 2.50 mi [EB]

M50: 2.72 mi [EB]

M57: 2.99 mi [EB]

M66: 2.12 mi [EB]

M72: 2.87 mi [EB]

M79: 2.37 mi [EB]

M86: 2.46 mi [EB]

M96: 1.86 mi [EB]

M106: 2.38 mi [EB]

M116: 2.94 mi [EB]

Guest Charles

The M96 is less than 2 Miles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh and what WAS the fate of the Q22A? Was it quietly just removed by the (MTA)?

Does anyone know the longest express route?

I guess it's either one of the Staten Island routes via New Jersey, or the ridiculously long X63.

The S74 is the longest local bus route in the city. The shortest bus route is the S60. The x17J is the longest express bus route. In fact it is the longest in New York City. The s78 is the second longest route. The shortest bus route ever was the old S103s. It when into Great Kills Park. Took less than 3 minutes each way.

The M96 is less than 2 Miles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh and what WAS the fate of the Q22A? Was it quietly just removed by the (MTA)?

Does anyone know the longest express route?

I guess it's either one of the Staten Island routes via New Jersey, or the ridiculously long X63.

The X63 doesn't feel that long. Once I took it on Black Friday. It only took 35 minutes to go from Merrick/Farmers to 3rd Avenue/42nd Street. I think the longest express bus route is the X22. The QM1A from lower Manhattan to Glen Oaks is pretty long as well.

Guest Charles

Well the X68 has a pretty long route in Queens, going all the way to 268 Street, near the Nassau border.

I've taken it once, but it didn't feel that long either b/c the driver flew down Hillside Avenue. As is the case with almost all other X68 drivers.

Well the X68 has a pretty long route in Queens, going all the way to 268 Street, near the Nassau border.

I've taken it once, but it didn't feel that long either b/c the driver flew down Hillside Avenue. As is the case with almost all other X68 drivers.

Yes, a perfect example is this X68 driver I see about 7pm at 188st and Hillside, he floored it doing 60MPH IN service, I just stared at that bus while waiting for the Q3, dayum!!!!!

Guest Charles

Which bus has a longer route:

The S78, or the S59 during rush hours where it is extended to Tottenville? I think it might be the S59 during this time.

If so, would it become the longest route in the system, local and express routes included?

Oh, and regarding the post(s) about flooring buses at 60 MPH...Q64 and QM4 drivers LOVE to do that on the Jewel Avenue straightaway (between Main Street and 136 Street) when no one boards/leaves the bus. Also, between Park Drive East and the Grand Central Parkway service Road (where Jewel Av crosses over 678 and the Grand Central), drivers tend to go really fast! it's pretty cool too b/c there is a turn going east. It would be a nice place for photo ops too -- Corona Park is right next door.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

actually shortest bus routes in queens is a tie:

q47 & q49 20 min. from one end to the other.

longest is probably q60 manhattan to jamaica qns. or q53 woodside to rockaway beach.

i could be wrong B)

It's not about travel time from end to end, it's about the actual distance. And the Q42 is the shortest as It barely leaves Jamaica

Archived