New Yankee Stadium vs. Citi Field

bentton316

ok, so i'ma loyal yankees fan for life. i live and die pinstripes. but, there seems to be an issue with me. i'm starting to like citi field more than i like the new yankee stadium. so i was wondering, what did ya'll think about it? which stadium would u visit this year in their opening season? citi field, or the new yankee stadium?

<6>

Guest Charles

Citi Field, definitely.

I'm a Mets fan, but the ballpark seems to be nicer than New Yankees Stadium.

I really like the whole "Rotunda" thing honoring Jackie Robinson and the tribute to Ebbets Field.

Citi Field, definitely.

I'm a Mets fan, but the ballpark seems to be nicer than New Yankees Stadium.

I really like the whole "Rotunda" thing honoring Jackie Robinson and the tribute to Ebbets Field.

Charles and others. Unless you a "VIP' or something how can you say which new ballpark is better when neither has opened yet? It's like you watching a new movie or ballplayer and declaring them 'great' without makiing fully evualting their full season or show.

This is an intresting topic but IMO way too early to 'compare' until at least April when the '2' new ballparks open.

Gee, i wonder which stadium i like better....:cool:

I admit, i all ready miss shea, but citi is very technically advanced and very green, no asbestos or any of that nasty stuff. I look forward to attending games here. New yankum stadium looks kind of stuffy and boring to be honest.

- A

I've seen construction videos and photos taken by workers, and i LOVE citi compared to new yankum stadium. NYS is cold and museum-ish and yuppie, citi has a more "we are here to watch a game and have a fun time while doing that" feel to it. I'm calling NYS "The house that ruth built on a large public park in the middle of the poorest congressional district in the country so no local opposition would have stood a chance". I think it's kinda catchy... B):cool::)

- A

Ill wait to see em, even tho I LOVE THE METS, and METS DONT SUCK!! THEY ROCK

QUEENS IS HOME OF THE METS and i love em! Yeah I live in the bronx, but i dont care about the yanks, in the bronx if for the subways *COUGH* (2)(5) *COUGH* lol.

Although I wish SHEA Stadium the name would of stayed. Cuz like the (7) lines Williets Point Station wont be Shea Stadium, but Citifield- Willets Points, grr... like wat ever. Keep the old name, only becuz Citigroup owns(And MLB) ya doesnt mean crap

Guest Charles
I've seen construction videos and photos taken by workers, and i LOVE citi compared to new yankum stadium. NYS is cold and museum-ish and yuppie, citi has a more "we are here to watch a game and have a fun time while doing that" feel to it. I'm calling NYS "The house that ruth built on a large public park in the middle of the poorest congressional district in the country so no local opposition would have stood a chance". I think it's kinda catchy... B):cool::)

- A

lol at your NYS quote!

And Mark--I agree with you. Shea Stadium has become a household fixture name in the neighborhood in Northern Queens. However, Citi Field doesn't sound as bad as some other ballparks...like Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati...you'd think it's a very patriotic ballpark, but no! An insurance company named Great American paid $$ to have their name advertised.

Wasn't it better when stadiums had more sensible names, like the Baker Bowl in Philly, Ebbets Field, Tiger Stadium, and Shea Stadium?

Just my two cents.

This forum is interesting: A Mets fan in the Bronx, and a Yankees fan in Queens. There is also a Phillies fan in New York (and only about 25 minutes away from YS walking), and a Mets fan in Pennsylvania!

Here is my take: the New Yankee Stadium has the same dimensions and orientation as the old Yankee Stadium, while Citifield, has different dimensions and a bit of a different orientation. At Shea, the pitcher would face WSW, but at Citifield, the pitcher would be facing SSW.

As for the exterior, New Yankee Stadium looks just as grey as the old one. On the other hand, Citifield looks a whole lot better than Shea with the new brick material. Shea was nothing but just a blue stadium with neon figures which made it look like some sort of nightclub instead of a stadium.

For the interior, The New Yankee Stadium has an improvement with more legroom and cupholders. It also has a larger video board too. I think it also has a new outta town scorebard which shows EVERY game like at most stadiums instead of only 2 at a time. The sound system at the old Yankee Stadium sucked too. Plus one did not get a great view down the line if you were in past tier section 12 or so due to the horseshoe shape. I'm not too sure how that compares with the new one. As for Citifield, the seats would be better and one would not think that the seat would break when one would sit down. I am so happy those old seats are gone! Remember they would never come back up! The only good use for them was if the row was too crowded to move in but the seat in front of me was empty, I could use the seat as a step! The only great rows at Shea were the ones that there was no seat in front! I know Shea had better sightlines than Yankee Stadium since it was round. Only thing was by first and third base, you were like a MILE away! Only thing I will miss from Shea is the scoreboard in right field.

This forum is interesting: A Mets fan in the Bronx, and a Yankees fan in Queens. There is also a Phillies fan in New York (and only about 25 minutes away from YS walking), and a Mets fan in Pennsylvania!

Um... with me, you have a Yankees fan within walking distance of Citi Field... literally, walking distance... it takes about 15-20 minutes.

On the stadiums... while Citi definitely looks like an improvement over Shea, I really can't see the point of making a tribute stadium to a stadium that's still standing (and, during all last season, was still being used)... but whatever, I have to make a point of visiting them if I can, because I never got to see the old stadiums in person (shame shame shame).

Charles and others. Unless you a "VIP' or something how can you say which new ballpark is better when neither has opened yet? It's like you watching a new movie or ballplayer and declaring them 'great' without makiing fully evualting their full season or show.

This is an intresting topic but IMO way too early to 'compare' until at least April when the '2' new ballparks open.

I think I'll wait until I visit both.

I agree with the both of you. We could only see the outside. As for the inside, we are not sure. What the officials are giving are just figures. They're not even opened, so how can we make any assumptions about what will be in the inside? I am not convinced by any rendering or news story until it is REAL, until I see it with my own two eyes.

I agree with the both of you. We could only see the outside. As for the inside, we are not sure. What the officials are giving are just figures. They're not even opened, so how can we make any assumptions about what will be in the inside? I am not convinced by any rendering or news story until it is REAL, until I see it with my own two eyes.

Thank You. Again not a kock or 'dis' against the opiopns of other members. However i stand by my comments that i feel it too early to say which of the '2' new NYC ballparks is 'better' until i visit them myself by summer.:tup:

I have seen photos and videos on the inside of both stadiums, and have for about a year now.

- A

QFT. Shea did not look like a baseball stadium at all. To me, it looked like a football/baseball hybrid. I do realize the New York Jets used Shea until 1983.

That's exactly what it was. A "multipurpose stadium" to be used for football and baseball. They don't make those anymore because it was suited for neither.

QFT. Shea did not look like a baseball stadium at all. To me, it looked like a football/baseball hybrid. I do realize the New York Jets used Shea until 1983.

The Yankees were also there for 1974 and 1975. The Giants were there for 1975. Plus there was a rule that the Jets could not play a home game at Shea until the Mets season was finished.

Those "cookie cutter" stadiums were popular back in the 1960s and 1970s. Philly (Veterans Stadium), Pittsburgh (3 Rivers), Cincinnati (Riverfront), and Atlanta (Fulton County Stadium) all were cookie cutters. Cookie Cutters seemed more football friendly than baseball friendly.

Taking the IRT (7) line to and from Shea was great. But only when it ran R33 and R36 World's Fair Cars. I remember the Blue scheme, then white, and finally red. I am a big Mets fan, but I miss Shea Stadium. It will not be the same. As I hate to admit it, I think the new Yankee stadium looks better than Citi Field. But I will go to Citi field to root for my Mets.

The Yankees were also there for 1974 and 1975. The Giants were there for 1975. Plus there was a rule that the Jets could not play a home game at Shea until the Mets season was finished.

Those "cookie cutter" stadiums were popular back in the 1960s and 1970s. Philly (Veterans Stadium), Pittsburgh (3 Rivers), Cincinnati (Riverfront), and Atlanta (Fulton County Stadium) all were cookie cutters. Cookie Cutters seemed more football friendly than baseball friendly.

Dont forget Seattle (Kingdome) Houston (Astrodome) & the only '2' left of the 1960/70's era 'cookie cutter stadiums' Oakland (Oakland Coliseum now known as Mcafee Coliesum) and San Diego(Jack Murphy now known as Qualcomm):cool:

Archived