T/O Salary

theprogram4

I think being the guy driving the subway train would be an awesome job. Anyone know how much they make a year? My grades at college are starting to go down the sh*tter and I was wondering how much they make and what you have to do to become one. Thanks

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the information you need is in the transit career's section.

To get you started I will tell you that T/O's for TA are the lowest paid in the country and make over 5 dollars an hour less than LIRR and MNR.

This topic needs to move to Transit Career Forum

I remembered in an MTA ad in 2004 on the (2) said $350,000+ /yr. I asked lots of B/Os and T/Os how muc hourly they get and its $39, but the DCAS says $23, i guess the 39$ is for increase.

More info here:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/trainoperator.pdf

[Adobe Reader or other PDF reader needed to see]

Note that thats an App information from 2003, the next one is some where this yr

Next T/O opening is this or Next month, i think. C/R registration just passed in Sept '08, so next is in 5 yrs. 2013, i believe

I remembered in an MTA ad in 2004 on the (2) said $350,000+ /yr. I asked lots of B/Os and T/Os how muc hourly they get and its $39, but the DCAS says $23, i guess the 39$ is for increase.

I wish you where in charge of (MTA) thats a nice raise I don't make anything near what you said.

I wish you where in charge of (MTA) thats a nice raise I don't make anything near what you said.

Imagine that! Almost a thousand bucks a day! And to think it takes me a week to get that, and that's BEFORE i get killed on taxes...and i have to work many more hours than a T/O, and i'm not even guaranteed to be assigned in the five boros! Not fair! B)

More info here:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/trainoperator.pdf

[Adobe Reader or other PDF reader needed to see]

Note that thats an App information from 2003, the next one is some where this yr

Next T/O opening is this or Next month, i think. C/R registration just passed in Sept '08, so next is in 5 yrs. 2013, i believe

$23 per hour at 40 hours per week, and 52 weeks per year equates to $47,840.00 annually.

damn so im wrong o_0! I guess that was for something else... Besides T/O and everything else, who gets paid the highest in the T/A. No not the board of directores or the top people lol. I mean in the lower group.

damn so im wrong o_0! I guess that was for something else... Besides T/O and everything else, who gets paid the highest in the T/A. No not the board of directores or the top people lol. I mean in the lower group.

I'll assume you're talking about the hourly employees. RCI's get the most and there are a couple of other titles that make about the same as them. They make a little more than 2 dollars an hour more than a T/O. For those that don't know a RCI is a road car inspector.

The problem with our pay is that union wants all of it's members to make a comparable salary. So we have clerks and cleaners who the TA feels are over paid so us T/O's and B/O's are underpaid. We need a seperate union for operating personnel only this would solve this HUGE problem.

In LIRR and MNR the engineers aren't in the same union with every single other hourly employee they are in there own union the united brotherhood of locomotive engineers so they bargain for ONLY their needs not the needs of 100 departments!!

I'll assume you're talking about the hourly employees. RCI's get the most and there are a couple of other titles that make about the same as them. They make a little more than 2 dollars an hour more than a T/O. For those that don't know a RCI is a road car inspector.

The problem with our pay is that union wants all of it's members to make a comparable salary. So we have clerks and cleaners who the TA feels are over paid so us T/O's and B/O's are underpaid. We need a seperate union for operating personnel only this would solve this HUGE problem.

In LIRR and MNR the engineers aren't in the same union with every single other hourly employee they are in there own union the united brotherhood of locomotive engineers so they bargain for ONLY their needs not the needs of 100 departments!!

Truth has been spoken. This is why the MTA has a big problem, and Local 100 needs to really think before they bargain. A cleaner does not have 1500 or more lives in their hands at any given moment. Neither does a clerk, or TPPA. The T/O, B/O and C/R does (and no a B/O don't but they do move people). Our pay should be more than MNRR and LIRR given we carry a number those 2 couldn't even come up with if they tried together.

Local 100 needs to have some negotiate contracts for others while only T/O, B/O, and C/R has those representing only those 3 titles. The titles that have lives in their hands.........

Truth has been spoken. This is why the MTA has a big problem, and Local 100 needs to really think before they bargain. A cleaner does not have 1500 or more lives in their hands at any given moment. Neither does a clerk, or TPPA. The T/O, B/O and C/R does (and no a B/O don't but they do move people). Our pay should be more than MNRR and LIRR given we carry a number those 2 couldn't even come up with if they tried together.

Local 100 needs to have some negotiate contracts for others while only T/O, B/O, and C/R has those representing only those 3 titles. The titles that have lives in their hands.........

Unfortunately for us, today's approach of unionism are to be inclusive, to build the largest number of members to negotiate against the bosses, which smacks completely opposite of what RTO & B/O's currently need. Until RTO & B/O's can negotiate separately with the TA, we won't see progress in union affairs. At the same token, IF that ever happens, other TA titles will be in serious jeopardy because the TA can contract out almost all of it with no legacy/pension costs.. Already they have outsiders doing station, signal, & track work. RTO almost guaranteed will never be contracted to an outside entity because then TA would need to sacrifice control, & obey a written contractual agreement, with real consequences of violating it..

Unfortunately for us, today's approach of unionism are to be inclusive, to build the largest number of members to negotiate against the bosses, which smacks completely opposite of what RTO & B/O's currently need. Until RTO & B/O's can negotiate separately with the TA, we won't see progress in union affairs. At the same token, IF that ever happens, other TA titles will be in serious jeopardy because the TA can contract out almost all of it with no legacy/pension costs.. Already they have outsiders doing station, signal, & track work. RTO almost guaranteed will never be contracted to an outside entity because then TA would need to sacrifice control, & obey a written contractual agreement, with real consequences of violating it..

tell me about it...my father's union is the same way...it's for projectionists (the people who operate the machines when you goto the movies) and a/v techs who set up sound and video for presentations and special events...and they added in a bunch of ushers who aren't as skilled and who hurt to have around in negotiations b/c they are only out for their interests and not really in line with what the rest of the union is doing...not making comparisons to the 100 but just saying...

Imagine that! Almost a thousand bucks a day! And to think it takes me a week to get that, and that's BEFORE i get killed on taxes...and i have to work many more hours than a T/O, and i'm not even guaranteed to be assigned in the five boros! Not fair! :)

LOL.. $350,000 is more than the TA Pres WITH his $4000 monthly housing stipend!

Realistically, you'll get paid 55-60k vicinity with overtime & diffs, not looking for extra OT.. With time, when you actually pick your assignments, it usually will go up, sometimes down, depending on the jobs/tour..

tell me about it...my father's union is the same way...it's for projectionists (the people who operate the machines when you goto the movies) and a/v techs who set up sound and video for presentations and special events...and they added in a bunch of ushers who aren't as skilled and who hurt to have around in negotiations b/c they are only out for their interests and not really in line with what the rest of the union is doing...not making comparisons to the 100 but just saying...

It's similiar with us. I have been told a few times by very high up people who know that the TA would be willing to pay it's operating personnel more in line with what they deserve BUT they wouldn't give the same raises to all of the other titles so we can't get it either because the union would never allow us to get a bigger raise.

In the minds of alot of the higher ups at the TA they feel that alot of the titles such as cleaner, clerk, property protection and a few others are over paid already.

It's a joke a friend of mine is a track worker with LIRR and his base pay is much higher than mine. He even laughs about it and says he has zero responsibility with his job.

• 2 weeks later...
what about the benefits? retirement at half pay when you're 55. but how long do you have to stay if you want the full pension? and as for the health benefits, is it 1.5% of your salary or 1.5% of the cost of the insurance?

Full pension at 55 if you have at least 25 years on the job. We pay 1.5% of our GROSS pay. This means that higher paying titles like T/O pay ALOT more than lower paying titles. This is an overtime based job that is why the TA demanded that the amount be off of out gross and not a set amount like supervisors pay.

Full pension at 55 if you have at least 25 years on the job. We pay 1.5% of our GROSS pay. This means that higher paying titles like T/O pay ALOT more than lower paying titles. This is an overtime based job that is why the TA demanded that the amount be off of out gross and not a set amount like supervisors pay.

oh ok. for the pension, what are they referring to when they say half pay then? i didnt realize its full pay after 55/25.

and for the health care, i just looked at my paycheck and 1.5% of my gross pay is IDENTICAL (off by 5 cents) to what i pay for healthcare with the post office. so i dont have to worry about my healthcare, especially since the post office employees now have to pay 1% more EVERY YEAR into their health care. its still a good move for me to take this test

oh ok. for the pension, what are they referring to when they say half pay then? i didnt realize its full pay after 55/25.

and for the health care, i just looked at my paycheck and 1.5% of my gross pay is IDENTICAL (off by 5 cents) to what i pay for healthcare with the post office. so i dont have to worry about my healthcare, especially since the post office employees now have to pay 1% more EVERY YEAR into their health care. its still a good move for me to take this test

No such thing as a full pay pension after 25 yrs,maybe the pension benefit is increased by a percentage after each year past 25. There are 3/4 disability pensions but they mainly apply to NYPD or FDNY.

What half pay means is half of your last couple of years average gross pay including ot,ex,you average 70k,your pension would be half of that 35k yr. Jobs with pensions are few and far inbetween these days.

The problem is that these jobs are big overtime jobs. But the more O.T. you work the higher that 1.5% is going to be.

The other problem is that the higher paying titles like T/O and RCI pay MUCH more than property protection, cleaners, clerks for the same exact benefits!!!

hmm, so does anyone know the age/amount of years worked at which you could retire at full pension pay? at the post office its 60% after 30 years but an additional 2% for each year you work after 30. they tell me city benefits are way better so i was wondering the specifics. thanks

hmm, so does anyone know the age/amount of years worked at which you could retire at full pension pay? at the post office its 60% after 30 years but an additional 2% for each year you work after 30. they tell me city benefits are way better so i was wondering the specifics. thanks

We aren't city employees. The biggest difference is you can retire alot younger here than at the post office. For us it's 50% after 25/50 and you get points for each year after 25.

Believe it or not, a TA T/O makes more than a NJT Engineer. New Jersey Transit doesn't pay sh*t. That's why you rarely hear about people leaving the TA to go to NJT.

Now PATH is another story altogether...they give away $$$.

Archived