What is a typical day like as a train operator?

Dahon

It's not a terminal, but it is a crew location, in the TA, identification is through the departure time and the crew reporting location, whether that be a tower such as Mott or a terminal such as Van Cortlandt.

It's not a terminal, but it is a crew location, in the TA, identification is through the departure time and the crew reporting location, whether that be a tower such as Mott or a terminal such as Van Cortlandt.

So between Mott and the actual terminal, what would that train be known as?

Going southbound, it would be identified as a Mott crew, going uptown though, it would be identified with its origin terminal on that particular schedule, if it starts at Bowling Green, it would be identified as Green, Flatbush Av, Flatbush, etc.

Each schedule is treated as an individual case no matter where the crew is based out of - all that matters is where they picked up the schedule at or where the crew location of that particular schedule was if that crew is starting out from the crew location away from the terminal.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

2 hours is a waa lunch. The longest scheduled lunch period that I had ever seen on a road job was 1:05.

Waa is NOT lunch.

IIRC, terminals is where a train terminates, are can be terminated. Mott is such a location. They use it for special purposes.........

Mott is used as a terminal for the (4) and (5) lines quite frequently because of G.O.s. Also, if there is a big gap in service on the (2),(4), or (5) line a train can be discharged at Mott Ave and then get sent back in the opposite direction from there. In that case it becomes a terminal location just like Woodlawn, White Plains, Utica, etc.

Waa is NOT lunch.

WHO INVITED THE DISPATCHER!?!?!? LOL JK

What is a typical day like as a train operator? I'm looking for two perspectives, one as a new train operator and one as a seasoned train operator. I know that the season operator does not have to wait for a job. For example, in the beginning of the shift where do your report to (is it at the end of a train line like Coney Island)? Then after certain hours when do you take breaks or a lunch break? Then after the break where do you report to? Do you have a wait time after lunch? Or do you go strictly back to work? Do you have to clock in at an office?

You'll learn that the old-timers pick whatever job they want, but they've paid their dues in time because you have to be in title for a LONG TIME to get what you want as a T/O... that's if you're not restricted because of health or otherwise. If you're new you're given a number to call to find out your assignments and days off–I think IRT's crew office and automated system are more accessible/dependable from what I remember but you're at the mercy of the Crew Office, really... but I could describe it out the ying yang but you have to experience it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All ...

Haven't posted in a while , how's everyone been?

To answer your question , when you're extra which you'll be for the first 2 or so years in B division , you call an automated number and get your job usually two days in advance ... eg call Monday for your Wednesday job ...

You report to your assigned terminal. If you have a board report or fall to the board because the T/O who picked the job resumes (called a double report) you get paid to wait up to 8 hours to see if crew assignment sends you somewhere for a job. If so , you go to it. if not you get paid the 8 hours for being on the board and go home.

You always sign in anytime you go to a job. Whether you get it outright or off the board. If the job is 8 hours or ends in WAA time for any reason you must sign out. If it's 8+ hours w/o WAA at the end you can go home w/o signing out.

Once you start your job , you get a copy of the schedule from the dispatcher or write it down from out of the book. All the jobs vary as to number of trips , WAA time , when the lunch is , where they finish , etc... (if they have put ins or layups). You typically have 15 minutes at the start of the job to check for GO's which a lot of guys do , and to read new bulletins which almost nobody does.

Then , you do your put in if you have one , or go directly to doing your trips. Then you do any layups you have , etc. When you're on WAA time you can be assigned tasks by a dispatcher if they need you to do it , but usually they will get guys on the board to do the extra things. When you're done you call it a day and go home. That's all.

Lunch is typically 35-40 minutes on the schedule. Sometimes you get the full time , other times you don't. If you don't get at least 20 minutes you are entitled to get paid a half hour for a no lunch. Dispatchers can give you a missed lunch during WAA and typically do so. The TA will let you sit on the board 5 hours then give you an 8 hour yard switching job where you make 1 move and get paid a 13 hour day but they are absolutely ridiculously a-nal when it comes to paying a half hour no lunch. It's comical.

And there you have it.

What is WAA? What is a "put in"? What is a "layup"?

Thanks.

:tup:

Put in, is peak hour trains "put in" the rotation to add trains per hour. You can also have other times, such as when a school lets out or such.

Layup or siding is a track where a train or rail equipment goes when not in service or in use. You can bring subway trains into service from a layup track, or like the :rvl: trains, bring them into service from a siding into the first station. How its done depends on what is needed & the orientation of the track.

- A

Thanks.

WAA is the sound a train operator makes when he runs a red :D no really WAA = Work As Assigned (by the TD)

a Put in is a train that is "put into" service from storage for peak periods or when they need more service. That means the T/O has to go and get the train, pre trip it, and move it on the mainline and go in service

A layup is a train that is parked when it is taken out of service. It is to go to a specific place (sometimes it's a yard, sometimes it's siding, sometimes it's a closed off section of the mainline, like out of service express tracks). The T/O has to bring his train there and secure it against movement.

Thanks.

Waa = work as assigned

Put in = prepare a train for service and bring it to the station from yard or storage track

lay up= put train on lay up track or yard and secure it

For TOs, we all don't start & end at the same time as any office or other business does. The requirements of the service dictate when equipment will be put in, where it will run to, return & when it will be removed from service. These things are all scheduled beforehand by Operations & Planning department, which in turn works with line supervision to determine how the service will be carried out. The schedule is parceled up & 'Jobs' are created, each with individual report times, train schedules, lunch & any other responsibilities that person is required to do.. The jobs are then assigned numbers, and then we pick what we will work based on seniority on the job. As previously stated, some jobs are more comfortable to work, others have you hustling all day.. When it gets to my pick time, I can choose any unselected job on the pick board. Personally, I pick days off, then fill in my week. Once the selection starts, I will work that schedule every week. If all jobs are selected before I can pick, I will be Extra Extra List, or XXL. If XXL, I have no picked job, and will be sent to work assignments from the Crew Office. Once people promote, retire, are medically forced out of tiltle, get demoted, die, I will have better jobs to choose from because I will move up in seniority.

Kinda simplistic, but gives you an idea..

Once people promote, retire, are medically forced out of tiltle, get demoted, die, I will have better jobs to choose from because I will move up in seniority.

This moving up in seniority that you speak of takes a ridiculously long time in the T/O title. 10-11 years in title and you are still over 2000 out of around 3700.

Hey , I have an idea ...

Maybe for those of us extra extra guys , we can just kind of go to work and sneak our names in a good job on the pick board and nobody will notice and we can 'pick' a good job very stealthily that way B):cool:;)

...then again , maybe not ... :(

Hey , I have an idea ...

Maybe for those of us extra extra guys , we can just kind of go to work and sneak our names in a good job on the pick board and nobody will notice and we can 'pick' a good job very stealthily that way :):cool::)

...then again , maybe not ... :P

LOL, I heard of guys penciling names on the sheets to make it appears the job is gone. The only way to know if its really picked is to check another pick location or actually try to enter it in the pick computer..

Wait for the Vacancy Bid Sheets to come out. Someone usually will go & rip the RDO relief sheets off the board so you can't research any relief jobs!

I just made 7 years in title, and I'm just over 2800.. The file numbers are scheduled to be redone soon, so we'll all move down to get a more realistic number how many are ahead of us..

Hey , I have an idea ...

Maybe for those of us extra extra guys , we can just kind of go to work and sneak our names in a good job on the pick board and nobody will notice and we can 'pick' a good job very stealthily that way :):cool::)

...then again , maybe not ... :)

With the way I write on the pick board, you'd better take down the paper and type your name on it because your handwriting will stand out like an elephant in a dollhouse.:P

RX (Road Extra = Extra Extra), I'm loving it cause I don't need an RDO. I'm doing quite well. Heck last week I made 9 hrs and change of overtime. All you need is to be on board for about 4hrs, then pick up a full job that clears 5hrs later than you suppose to clear, have great deadhead time, start with the time and 1/2 on the deadhead, and 5hrs, you can make good monies. Plus being on the PM's. I can't complain. If they ask, you want to do overtime, no thanks, done enough..........

Archived