CBTC the (L)

553 Bridgeton

Something that ran through my mind. Now we all know computers fail at some point. What are the odds of it happening on the (L), and will the T/O know in time to take over while the train is slowing down in a station? I like CBTC/ATO but I would prefer a human operating it.

Railcars are safety-sensitive devices, and can either employ redundancy (multiple onboard computers all independent of each other) so that when one system fails another takes over seamlessly and continues to operate. Another option would be fail-passive where a system fault can be detected and reported while at the same time returning control to the T/O. I believe this is how autopilot works on an airplane...if autopilot breaks, control is successfully given to the pilot who will guide the plane.

Yeah but when your trying to go to work an all you hear is "We being delayed because of a stalled train ahead of us" you really don't want to hear that. They been working on CBTC for years its time to see some progress. I will admit ATO was a big step.

I am looking at the (L) this pick as well.

I have noticed that it is possible to operate a manually controlled train at the same time as a CBTC controlled one. So the entire (L) line dosent have to go back to regular control and the R160s can also operate. Ive only noticed this because when an CBTC controlled R143 approaches, all yellow signals become green and blink. When an R160 approaches, the signals stay regular.

Yeah but when your trying to go to work an all you hear is "We being delayed because of a stalled train ahead of us" you really don't want to hear that. They been working on CBTC for years its time to see some progress. I will admit ATO was a big step.

I am looking at the (L) this pick as well.

I see why you're thinking about going back there,since the train will do most of the work for you....do you know how many trains are ATO?I've been on few of them lately.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

I finally moved to the north. Because of this thing they did with increasing the number of Sat/Sun RDO's (which sounded like a good thing, and now people as low as the 2200's--300 above me, and probably only here for about 10 years- can get Sat/Sun), almost all of the good weekday jobs (all tours) have been eaten up by people working them all five days.. Looking forward to the summer pick, it now looked like what I first came out of school car, and in the winter, and everything left was 5 and 6 am jobs, or Vacation Relief. Also, in shuffling around the weekend schedule, instead of breaking up a lot of those ridiculous four trip J jobs, they have made all Sat jobs like that, and nearly all Sun. Jobs!

Luckily, I did find a few decent AM jobs left (On the C, J M).

Because of what they did on the J, and then seeing how scarce everything was, I wanted to keep the option of the L open, and possibly take my chances with that. So I watched a guy operate ATO on my way to the pick location in the yard.

It?s pretty cool. He presses the ATO start button (which had a little metal cover with a lid added, which is not on the unequipped cars; i.e. the 160's) everytime he starts moving, and then the train does the rest. It even goes way fast around the curves that the timers made manual operation go real slow (almost stopping) for. And the alerter usually rings only once between stations. I felt like I was on the aitrain!

It is much less stressful than manual CBTC operation, where you have to make the perfect stop for the doors to open (like Union Square or South Ferry with the gap fillers at every stop). It also goes faster than the CBTC allows manual operators.

I didn't pick it this time, but I'll think about it for the holidays in the future, so I can get to do it a few times.

Nothing like being at Canarsie on a hot summer days man I miss it.
Nothing like the lovely ladies in Canarsie during the summer time. :( Only thing that sucks about Canarsie is the lunch selection. If you pick the (L) we would probably bump into each other every now and then.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I always liked the Pizza spot @ Canarcie.The (L) is an option.

Are you talking abot Villa? If yes I agree that place is great haven't been there in a while tho

I always liked the Pizza spot @ Canarcie.The (L) is an option.
You talking about Armando's right next to the exit of Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway? or that other pizza place next to the chinese food joint? Armando's has some kick ass pizza, I love their Sicilian pizza. That other Pizza place blows.

You talking about Armando's right next to the exit of Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway? or that other pizza place next to the chinese food joint? Armando's has some kick ass pizza, I love their Sicilian pizza. That other Pizza place blows.

Oh that place, yeah they're good too. The place I was referring to is towards the McDonald's, they've got really good pepperoni rolls there, but I haven't been there since the summer. Same with Armando's...haven't had time to take the ride out there lately

Something that ran through my mind. Now we all know computers fail at some point. What are the odds of it happening on the (L), and will the T/O know in time to take over while the train is slowing down in a station? I like CBTC/ATO but I would prefer a human operating it.

From what I've heard those trains operating ATO don't handle wet rails well (maybe just the 143s? God only knows...) I've heard of a few overruns S/B on Wilson Ave upper operating ATO, especially during rain.

Archived