Question on Student Metrocard.....

gtNovaBusRTS9369

Durng the weekends whenever I get a chance to I swipe my Student Metrocard on the price/value scanner & it says 4 rides in it. Even though I'm not really supposed to use it does it mean that (if I could use it) it will only work for that amount of rides or the metrocard will not work at all?

Are you holding one of the issue Student MetroCards that works only the weekends?

IIRC, those cards have only 2 rides. He said it says 4 rides or something like that.

The regular student metrocard has a three ride limit on weekdays, the special fare only has 2 rides, and can be used on any day. It should be only used for school related purposes.

The regular student metrocard has a three ride limit on weekdays, the special fare only has 2 rides, and can be used on any day. It should be only used for school related purposes.

There is a 4 and 3 ride version for the student metrocard, and some that work only weekdays, some also for sundays, and even some for saturdays, plus the haf-fare cards as well- the individual school and the (MTA) decide which card is necessary for which students. There is a lot of variability across schools and students.

There is a 4 and 3 ride version for the student metrocard, and some that work only weekdays, some also for sundays, and even some for saturdays, plus the haf-fare cards as well- the individual school and the (MTA) decide which card is necessary for which students. There is a lot of variability across schools and students.

This is correct.Just want to add some more info. They have passes for students that attend night school and there time limit is till 1030pm or 1100pm. The cards that regular students have wont work after 830pm or weekend. It will say on IFU(farebox) invalid card. There are also special pass that schools give out that have only 2 rides(transfers included)which are special trip passes. These are used on the weekend for student that have soccer, football, basketball games. Side note, sometimes students will show paper from the school that there are waiting on a new metrocard due to them damaging or misplacing there card.We are not to except this as a form of fare cause we can not validate if it is from the school. MTA tells us to honor all students with or with out passes due to a incident that happen years ago where a B/O denied a student and the student got assaulted and blamed it on the MTA.

Be careful on using the student metrocard on weekends if you have no school related activities. You WILL get a ticket and dont assume because you don't see any officers in uniforms, that there aren't any in plain clothes.

Student MetroCards do not work on weekends, only Specla Student MetroCards for Weekend use works,

Be careful on using the student metrocard on weekends if you have no school related activities. You WILL get a ticket and dont assume because you don't see any officers in uniforms, that there aren't any in plain clothes.

But see, I have the connections the get me out of even getting a ticket.

Student MetroCards do not work on weekends, only Specla Student MetroCards for Weekend use works,

My YABC night school metrocard works on Sundays.

Funny thing happen to my friend, he used a special student metrocard on a Saturday to go to the library, an officer caught him swiping it, however he told him that he was using it to go to the library, long story short he ended paying the fine. Isn't going to the library considered school related?

Funny thing happen to my friend, he used a special student metrocard on a Saturday to go to the library, an officer caught him swiping it, however he told him that he was using it to go to the library, long story short he ended paying the fine. Isn't going to the library considered school related?

No. It is not meant for school-related activities. It is for going and returning directly from the school building (or field trips with your class teacher).

I don't see anything mentioning that the travel has to be to/from the school building. See these guides:

http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/Transportation/ParentResources/StudentMetroCards/default.htm

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/5B065638-A8B8-4673-84E7-F38FEB926488/0/BestWaytoandfromSchoolbrochure92010.pdf

I think he got a ticket because technically, school wasn't in session on that Saturday. I don't think it had anything to do with going to the building itself. (Theoretically, I can go to the library at 8PM on days when school is in session). The officers should give tickets on a case-by-case basis, though, if the student can explain where they are going to.

I don't see anything mentioning that the travel has to be to/from the school building. See these guides:

http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/Transportation/ParentResources/StudentMetroCards/default.htm

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/5B065638-A8B8-4673-84E7-F38FEB926488/0/BestWaytoandfromSchoolbrochure92010.pdf

I think he got a ticket because technically, school wasn't in session on that Saturday. I don't think it had anything to do with going to the building itself. (Theoretically, I can go to the library at 8PM on days when school is in session). The officers should give tickets on a case-by-case basis, though, if the student can explain where they are going to.

It was one of those special two ride cards that he used

No. It is not meant for school-related activities. It is for going and returning directly from the school building (or field trips with your class teacher).

I remember using my Student card in 8th grade to go to the library to get books for my term paper, and getting stopped by a police officer since it was Spring Break. I told him that I was going to the library, and he asked to see my school ID and then let me go. Anytime I might have an off day and want to go somewhere, I usually use my student card (if it's the weekend I'll try to get my parents' Unlimited) but I remove it from sight the moment I swipe.

When you swipe you student metrocard in a bus it says STUDENT METROCARD on my screen and on older buses it will blink student on the far control box. On the train turnstiles i believe it glows white when a student metrocard is used. If a officer is watching he will know you used a card even it cupped, cover or what ever.

In some cases where school is not in session, the Student Metrocards are disabled. I've heard of it happening before. I don't understand why it dosen't happen all the time though.

Because there is not a universal school calendar across the city. For example, I have more off days than regular schools over the course of the year, but for some reason I have school on both Election Day and Veterans' Day. If they were to disable Student Metrocards I wouldn't be able to get to school.

Archived