Subway Fantasy Map 2013 Edition

Tokkemon

This is my fourth installment! A new shiny fantasy map for your enjoyment and criticism. I have learned a great deal about the subway since the last one (especially the physical interlockings and track capacities etc.) so it is FAR more realistic than the last, albeit if the MTA had billions to spend, spend, spend! Also, I was far more conscious of the actual streets and neighborhood conditions extant so overall it should be somewhat more believable. If anyone wishes a more thorough idea of a new line or a track connection explanation etc. I'll be happy to give one. 

(Click to download a hi-res PDF version)

subway%20map%202013.png

The new lines (physical) are outlined as follows:

Manhattan

Second Avenue Line - Route as planned by MTA, but four tracks, two levels like Lex Ave. Two tracks extended along 125 St until Broadway. Four tracks continue until Chatham Sq, then two tracks under Water Street, under the East River until Brooklyn. Includes track connections on 63 St to Broadway, 6 Ave, and Queens Blvd Line.

72 Street Line/11 Ave Line - Four Tracks under 72 St from East Shore to West End Ave then curves south on 11 Ave until Chelsea Piers. Then along West St until Battery Park, four tracks all the way, all underground.

Nassau St Line Refurbishment - Various track connections and new tunnels immediately around Broad Street to connect with 2 Ave tunnel for Staten Island Express. Stations would be reconstructed and lengthened as appropriate for 10-11 car trains.

14 St Extension - Continues to 20 St - Chelsea Piers, two tracks underground.

New Connections: Fulton Street connections to both Cortlandt Street stations and World Financial Center. Various connections to 2 Ave line and 125 St Line.

The Bronx

Third Avenue Line - Four tracks, runs underground under 3 Ave then under Webster Ave after Fordham Rd. Connects with an extension of IND Concourse line under 205 St. Sharp turn at E Gun Hill Rd and then along Bartow Rd until Co-Op City.

Pelham Line Extension - Two tracks elevated along Bruckner Expwy until connection with Co-Op City.

New Connections: Bedford Park Blvd - Lehman College, underground pedestrian connection between Concourse and Jerome Ave. While Plains Rd - Gun Hill Rd, underground to elevated connection. Gun Hill Rd - Seymour Ave, at grade to underground connection. 3 Ave - 149 St, underground to underground connection. 3 Ave - 138 St, underground to underground connection.

Queens

21 St/Astoria Blvd line - Connections from 72 St line under East River, two tracks. Splits to four tracks before Ravenswood, underground. Rises above ground to elevated around 34 Ave and continues as four-track elevated along Astoria Blvd rising above existing Astoria line and continues until LaGuardia Airport.

Northern Blvd Line - Two tracks underground splitting from Queens Blvd Line local tracks after Northern Blvd station. Continues until Grand Central Parkway, then rises to Elevated and connects to Citi Field with dedicated trackway. (No service interlining with (7).

West Queens Blvd Bypass - Two local tracks split away from 53 St line at Court Square. Rises to elevated and runs over Thompson Ave and connects to Queens Blvd. Line by lowering to under Flushing Line, either At-Grade or Underground. No track connections planned. Continues as elevated in center of Queens Blvd as two tracks. Lowers to underground after 51 Ave and connects with Queens Blvd express tracks.

Long Island Expressway Line - Two tracks beginning at Woodhaven Blvd splitting from Queens Blvd express tracks. Continues along LIE ROW until Queensboro Community College where it curves under Cloverdale Blvd.

Woodhaven Blvd Line - Begins as two tracks elevated at LaGuardia Airport. Curves on to 94th St/Junction Blvd as elevated. Rises over Junction Blvd station. Continues until LIE where it rises over exits and has passenger connection with Woodhaven Blvd Station but no track connections. Continues as two-track elevated over Woodhaven Blvd until Yellowstone Blvd where it takes over the old LIRR Rockaway ROW. Two-tracks elevated until connection with current Rockaway Line.

College Point Line - Connects from Flushing Line as two track underground under Roosevelt Ave. Curves north under Parsons Blvd. Rises to elevated before Northern Blvd, then curves West under 20 Ave until College Point Blvd.

Hillside Ave Line Extension - Two tracks underground, extended past 179 St to Francis Lewis Blvd. Express tracks disused.

Liberty Ave Line - Two tracks underground: continues after Parsons/Archer and curves under LIRR at Guy R. Brewer Blvd. Rises above ground to elevated before Merrick Blvd, continues along Liberty Ave until Farmers Blvd.

Linden Blvd Line - Inspired by IND Second System: Four tracks underground beneath Pitkin Ave across Cross Bay Blvd, continues under Aqueduct Racetrack and rises above ground to elevated within Aqueduct grounds until Rockaway Blvd. Elevated four tracks over Linden Blvd until Merrick Blvd, then two tracks until Francis Lewis Blvd.

Metropolitan Ave Line - Two tracks underground, splits from BMT Canarsie line after Graham Ave and rises above ground to elevated before Gowanas Canal, then two-track elevated with sidings at 69 St, Woodhaven Blvd until Jamaica Ave where line goes underground and connects with Queens Blvd (E) Jamaica Extension.

New connections: Astoria Blvd -31 St, upper level elevated. 46 St - Greenpoint Ave, from El to underground or at-grade. Woodhaven Blvd - Queens Center Mall: converted to Express station and new connection to elevated. Queensboro Plaza - Queens Plaza: direct connection created by underground passageway to escalators to elevated mezzanine. Rockaway Blvd: new elevated passenger walkway alongside El to (W).

Brooklyn

Myrtle Ave Line/Utica Ave Line - Connects from Manhattan 2 Ave Line, two tracks underground. Splits to four tracks under Tillary Street near City Tech station. Curves onto Myrtle Ave and comes out as elevated near Fort Greene. Connects with existing elevated at Broadway but expanded to four tracks. Two tracks from locals continue north on existing elevated while four tracks curve south and lower underground. Continues under Malcolm X Blvd as four tracks underground until Utica Ave, then under Utica Ave as four tracks until Flatbush Ave. Then tracks merge into three track stub terminal at Kings Plaza.  Possible track connections as Fulton Ave line and Jamaica Ave line. Track connection with Culver line at Jay Street for Staten Island Express.

Red Hook Line - Two tracks split from Montague St tunnel under Hicks St. Continues under BQE and Dwight St as two tracks underground until Bay St.

14 Ave Line -  four tracks underground, splits from Culver Line at Church Ave. Continues under 14 St until 86 St, curves west then south on Fort Hamilton Parkway. Aligns with Bay Ridge - 95 St as lower level platforms. Local tracks stub end; express tracks continue under The Narrows and until connection with Staten Island. See Narrows Tubes for connecting service in SI.

Franklin Ave Shuttle - Existing ROW rebuilt as two-track line until Fulton Line, then underground two-track line under Bedford Ave. Rises to elevated parallel to BQE and connects with Jamaica Ave Line as flying junction at Marcy Ave.

Nostrand Ave Extension - IRT Nostrand Ave line renovated with new set of express tracks beneath existing tunnel: lower level express stations at Church and Flatbush Ave. Four-tracks extended under Nostrand until Kings Hwy; Local tracks end. Express tracks continue underground until Ave U, then elevated until Voorhies Ave.

Eastern Parkway Extension - IRT Eastern Parkway line extended after Utica Ave to Broadway Junction. Express tracks continue underground under Eastern Pkwy until Fulton St, then curves under park to have platforms parallel to IND tracks. Track connection possible with IND but not with elevated lines.

Staten Island Express - Connects with Culver Line via 2 Ave Tunnels. Uses lower level express tracks in appropriate direction (peak-direction super-express only) until Church Ave. See 14 Ave Line for continuing service.

New Connections: New Ultrecht Ave - 62 St, new connection to underground 14 Ave line. Livonia Ave - Junius St: existing pedestrian connection put in fare control. Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts - Hoyt St: underground pedestrian connection. Broadway Junction: new connection to Eastern Parkway line via main building. Utica Ave: new underground to underground connection to Utica Ave line from Fulton St line. Myrtle Ave - Broadway: new elevated upper level connections.

Staten Island

Narrows Tubes - Two tracks from 14 Ave line in Brooklyn cross under The Narrows through Fort Wadsworth until Bay Street. Line rises to at-grade after Willow Ave and merges with Staten Island Railroad. Clifton rebuilt as three-track express station with two platforms.

Staten Island West Line - Begins at St. George, two tracks at-grade along former Northern Line ROW. Continues until Bayonne Bridge. Curves south on to Richmond Ave as elevated all the way to Hylan Blvd on west coast. Three-track sidings at Bayonne Bridge, Staten Island Mall, Eltingville Transit Center, and Eltingville - Amboy Rd. Room for three tracks between Staten Island Mall and Eltingville-Amboy Rd for future shuttle express and/or peak-direction express.

New Connections: Eltingville - Amboy Rd: at-grade to elevated connection between SIRT lines. St. George rebuilt with perpendicular West Line tracks.  

Metropolitan Ave Line - Two tracks underground, splits from BMT Canarsie line after Graham Ave and rises above ground to elevated before Gowanas Canal, then two-track elevated with sidings at 69 St, Woodhaven Blvd until Jamaica Ave where line goes underground and connects with Queens Blvd (E) Jamaica Extension.

That's the Newtown Creek....

Myrtle Ave Line/Utica Ave Line

Connects with existing elevated at Broadway but expanded to four tracks. Two tracks from locals continue north on existing elevated while four tracks curve south and lower underground.

Congrats, you've just demolished half of Bushwick and Bed/Sty. 4 tracks isn't going to fit, not with stations. You'd have to stack them.

21 St/Astoria Blvd line

Two local tracks split away from 53 St line at Court Square. Rises to elevated and runs over Thompson Ave and connects to Queens Blvd. Line by lowering to under Flushing Line, either At-Grade or Underground. No track connections planned. Continues as elevated in center of Queens Blvd as two tracks. Lowers to underground after 51 Ave and connects with Queens Blvd express tracks.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just leave it underground? Or just use the LIRR ROW as they'd aways intended

The (lengthy) text just explains in words what the map already conveys graphically. There's no explanation why lines run the way they do and what their use is. Why the 72nd street line, or the diversion of the 4 to Broadway Junction, for example?

Nice map design, though! You sure put a lot of work in that.

The (lengthy) text just explains in words what the map already conveys graphically. There's no explanation why lines run the way they do and what their use is. Why the 72nd street line, or the diversion of the 4 to Broadway Junction, for example?

Nice map design, though! You sure put a lot of work in that.

If you'd like explanations I'd be happy to provide them.

That's the Newtown Creek....

Congrats, you've just demolished half of Bushwick and Bed/Sty. 4 tracks isn't going to fit, not with stations. You'd have to stack them.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just leave it underground? Or just use the LIRR ROW as they'd aways intended

Thanks on Newtown. I always get those mixed up.

Yeah that line I was skeptical about how it would work. The grid pattern really sucks there because there's no major roads to work with to get space to build a line underground.

For the Queens Blvd line, yes it would be simpler, but the Sunnyside yards are directly in the way of that. Thompson Ave rises over the yards here and I don't see how a subway line could easily work underground without rebuilding the whole track area around the street, which would make costs skyrocket and make the line pointless from a cost-effective point of view. Another option would be to make it an elevated *above* the existing 7 line rather than bring it under it, but I don't know the structural integrity of the structure and/or feasibility of that idea.

You should extend the (E) down Merrick Blvd. Extend the (H) to Little Neck Queens. I think there should be also a Crosstown Bronx Queens line. Awesome map bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though its all (MTA), I dont think LIRR would like an extension to Little Neck. The PW branch is one of the most popular and money making branches of the LIRR.

There's not enough room to have the extended (2) to be elevated at the Avenue U and Nostrand Avenue junction through until Avenue V at least.

I could only see this happening probably after Avenue X since it's wider over there than Avenue U through Avenue W.

Even though its all (MTA), I dont think LIRR would like an extension to Little Neck. The PW branch is one of the most popular and money making branches of the LIRR.

While this is true, the LIRR has almost no bearing on what NYCT does, so they can go stuff it.

It's interesting that this came out at the same time as the vanshrookraggen plan (I probably spelled that wrong)

While this is true, the LIRR has almost no bearing on what NYCT does, so they can go stuff it.

It's interesting that this came out at the same time as the vanshrookraggen plan (I probably spelled that wrong)

It's vanshnookenraggen

I'm quite late to the party here, but I think I should comment on a couple of the changes here.

First of all, I'm not completely sure as to why the (B) and (D) are swapped as CPW Local & Express, and the service guide says that the (B) goes to Co-Op-City Blvd, but the map shows it terminating at Bedford Park Blvd, so IDK if that's a mistake or what...

People have already expressed criticism over the Myrtle line, so I'll won't be redundant there. I'm also curious, would the T, U and V be eastern division size (8 car trains) or have the platforms at those stations been made full length?

I said this last year, the only line going to SI should be the SX. During non rush hours, the (H) would be too crowded to handle all of the loads plus passengers from Brooklyn. In fact, I'd probably have the (H) run in place of the (F) to CI since the (F) has been extended on the Queens end.  

Your (M) idea is very similar to an idea I had for a Metropolitan Avenue line, almost identical in fact. Just found that kinda funny. While on the Eastern Division, I'm still scratching my head as to WHERE the (K) would connect with the current Broadway elevated. Again, I'm not sure there's space.

Really, that's all I take issue with, the rest is fine. Great map, and thanks for adding a Lower Manhattan inset this time.

Responses in Red

I'm quite late to the party here, but I think I should comment on a couple of the changes here.

First of all, I'm not completely sure as to why the (B) and (D) are swapped as CPW Local & Express, and the service guide says that the (B) goes to Co-Op-City Blvd, but the map shows it terminating at Bedford Park Blvd, so IDK if that's a mistake or what...

Ahh yeah that's a mistake. (B) only runs until Bedford Park Blvd. Then runs Rush-hour local on the Concourse and CPW as it does today. (D) runs local in the Bronx then peak-direction Express on Concourse and Express on CPW as it does today.

People have already expressed criticism over the Myrtle line, so I'll won't be redundant there. I'm also curious, would the T, U and V be eastern division size (8 car trains) or have the platforms at those stations been made full length?

Full length for (T) and (U) and 8 cars for (V) to allow for the existing Myrtle line section. I don't know if its useful to upgrade the existing El to full-length or not, but it seems to work without full length now just fine. The new stations would be built to full-length regardless to allow for flexibility.

I said this last year, the only line going to SI should be the SX. During non rush hours, the (H) would be too crowded to handle all of the loads plus passengers from Brooklyn. In fact, I'd probably have the (H) run in place of the (F) to CI since the (F) has been extended on the Queens end.

I still don't understand this. The (SX) is a rush-hour only peak-direction super-express which bolts people from St. George (and others) to Lower Manhattan. It would work *with* the Ferry to get Staten Islanders across the harbor quickly. The (H) just functions as a local version. And honestly, not many people are traveling between the boroughs during non-rush hours.

As for the (F), it has been expanded three stations. Hardly enough to warrant a reworking of its current route. The (H) is the shorter between the two, that's why it goes to SI.

Your (M) idea is very similar to an idea I had for a Metropolitan Avenue line, almost identical in fact. Just found that kinda funny. While on the Eastern Division, I'm still scratching my head as to WHERE the (K) would connect with the current Broadway elevated. Again, I'm not sure there's space.

I've had that (M) idea for years, but its not that novel. It's a major road through Central Queens and an ideal candidate for expansion. The (K) would connect right over the BQE. I realize that means rebuilding the Marcy Ave station a bit (about half of it) but its worth it for the connection. An alternative would be a tight curve over Rodney Street but I don't like that as much.

Really, that's all I take issue with, the rest is fine. Great map, and thanks for adding a Lower Manhattan inset this time.

Thanks much!

The two Bedford Park stations would be connected via an underground passageway, though an out-of-system transfer is also possible. 

The Gun Hill Road line could be underground but I think, after more thought, it would work better as an Elevated going *above* the White Plains Rd line and Metro-North etc. Probably comes above ground on 3rd Ave after 207 St. 

It would be the longest underground passageway ever built in this city.....I hope it at least has bi-directional people-movers that doesn't break down every 3 days! It would also be totally redundant, as there's a perfectly fine connection between the (4) and (D) at 161, and you'd be walking pretty much the same distance at any of the other parallel stations, except without having to wait for a second train.

Guest Bonnetd0201

Why not add a shuttle between Whitehall station and old south ferry

The 4,5 is not exactly a nice walk in winter and old south ferry is technically a new station and Whitehall shuttle station is also in a new condition

• 2 weeks later...

Archived