Manhattan Bridge Centennial!

Eric B

Channel 7 news had a short little story saying today was the 100th anniversary of the Manhattan bridge (and briefly going through it's history and all the problems).

Totally unlike its neighbor, the Brooklyn Bridge, (with the whole fireworks spectacular and all) it seems the Manhattan centennial is going by with hardly any notice!

The Manny B has always been the neglected stepchild. Considering all the work it does in carrying 4 subway lines, 18 wheelers, and coach buses it should get more recognition and praise. Everytime the Manhattan Bridge is mentioned it's usually a negative story about its structural flaws.

I've always known the Manhattan Bridge to be one of a kind as no suspension bridges (possibly other bridges) carry two train lines simultaneously. As a kid growing up in Queens, I would always nudge my parents and grandparents to use the Manhattan Bridge over the Williamsburg Bridge to get to Chinatown. I used to hate the WillyB b/c the southern roadways were shut down for reconstruction and outbound traffic used the inner north roadway while the inbound traffic used the outer north roadway. I always loved traveling down the center lane of the Manhattan Bridge lower level because sometimes we had an R68A B train following us while other times speeding at 70mph in my grandfather's 1975 DeVille. For a period, I remembered that the Manhattan Bridge Upper South roadway was also shut down with the Broadway tracks possibly b/c of the cracked beam in 95 and we were restricted to the Lower Level for outbound traffic. Also, I've always thought that the Broadway tracks were spare tracks and never expected them to be connected to a Lower Level Canal St station until 2001.

I went to see fireworks after Bus Festival and Atlantic Arcs. I heard about firework from Park Ranger vendors.

I took pic of fireworks, but it was so difficult with car lights from FDR. It was at park at Cherry/Jackson Sts near 33rd St's territory.

I also try to see if I could see firework from Queens-bound (J) over Williamsburg Bridge, but not so much.

I've always known the Manhattan Bridge to be one of a kind as no suspension bridges (possibly other bridges) carry two train lines simultaneously. As a kid growing up in Queens, I would always nudge my parents and grandparents to use the Manhattan Bridge over the Williamsburg Bridge to get to Chinatown. I used to hate the WillyB b/c the southern roadways were shut down for reconstruction and outbound traffic used the inner north roadway while the inbound traffic used the outer north roadway. I always loved traveling down the center lane of the Manhattan Bridge lower level because sometimes we had an R68A B train following us while other times speeding at 70mph in my grandfather's 1975 DeVille. For a period, I remembered that the Manhattan Bridge Upper South roadway was also shut down with the Broadway tracks possibly b/c of the cracked beam in 95 and we were restricted to the Lower Level for outbound traffic. Also, I've always thought that the Broadway tracks were spare tracks and never expected them to be connected to a Lower Level Canal St station until 2001.
Very nice post. Until the 2000s when I browsed the web, i had no idea what the southern tracks were on the Manahttan Bridge. It was obviously a big surprise I found out what they were and of course the Broadway express tracks. I even thought at Canal the J/M/Z trains shared the same tracks with the Broadway line.

But now it's so great to see both sides of the bridge being used and of course the express running on the long vacant Broadway line.

To me I would put the Manhattan Bridge as number 2 of the 4 East River Bridges. Brooklyn Bridge being #1 of course with the Queensboro as #3.

If the Willy B's road lanes were wider for both the inner and outer lanes, it might've been #3. I would've been more in favor of them demolishing the current Willy B in favor of a newer and better bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually rank the Manhattan above the Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Bridge is the nicest looking but it doesn't carry commercial traffic. The Manhattan Bridge carries trains, trucks, and buses. The only bridge I dislike is the Williamsburg since it's an eyesore.

I did enjoy walking the Brooklyn bridge when I was in NYC in July 2008

• 3 weeks later...

Archived