Why not a LaGuardia Airport-Midtown Express bus run by the MTA?

Bracamonte

Thanks for the info guys! Not too fussed about standing out in the cold - more concerned about the lighting conditions at that time of the day.

Here's hoping I get one of the GO/NYAS Van Hools with Series 60 action. At least I can still get somewhat excited over them, and hopefully they have jake brakes for me to enthuse over.

I'll also be hoping to get shots of the older stock on the C line and the remaining LIRR M3s. Also a trip to New Jersey to get the Red & Tan RTSs if they still exist and any RTSs left with NJT. Aside from that, and a long ride on the bi-level NJT stock and to photograph and ride the Arrow III EMUs. Besides that, it'll just be touristy stuff.

Thanks for the info guys! Not too fussed about standing out in the cold - more concerned about the lighting conditions at that time of the day.

Here's hoping I get one of the GO/NYAS Van Hools with Series 60 action. At least I can still get somewhat excited over them, and hopefully they have jake brakes for me to enthuse over.

I'll also be hoping to get shots of the older stock on the C line and the remaining LIRR M3s. Also a trip to New Jersey to get the Red & Tan RTSs if they still exist and any RTSs left with NJT. Aside from that, and a long ride on the bi-level NJT stock and to photograph and ride the Arrow III EMUs. Besides that, it'll just be touristy stuff.

Windy FYI. Red & Tan is now called Coach USA/Red and Tan company. Have fun to your return visit to NYC/NJ metro area for most festive time of the year.

Copy that... have they still retained the Stagecoach "beachball" livery? It was a huge spinout to see them in the flesh on a vehicle with the doors and driving controls on the "wrong" side!

I wouldn't bother with the bus it will just get stuck in traffic going at 5MPH on the I-678 disaster like the gonowhere on crack. Just use airtrain to jamacia for LIRR to penn station. You can go outside and look at the NY airporter buses but they look like crap those minibuses are gross and you wouldn't want to ride on em. If they go out of business due to lack of new buses they won't be missed. But somebody has to be gullible enough to use them.

I was thinking of the Airtrain/LIRR as the other option - I'm staying close to Penn Station in the Fashion District.

The Airtrain is an interesting system in itself. I am flying out of La Guardia to Knoxville via Detroit (for some MD83 action - a deliberate routing). Hoping for some DC-9 action when I am in Atlanta a bit later in December.

I was thinking of the Airtrain/LIRR as the other option - I'm staying close to Penn Station in the Fashion District.

The Airtrain is an interesting system in itself. I am flying out of La Guardia to Knoxville via Detroit (for some MD83 action - a deliberate routing). Hoping for some DC-9 action when I am in Atlanta a bit later in December.

Going to LGA go to 125th and use M60.

However soon a new route from woodside to LGA will be made allowing a fast trip to LGA from midtown manhattan via the (E)(F) trains to jackson heights.

sadly I don't know when this new route will come online.

Is M60 run by a suburban or transit bus? And what line would take me to 125th?

M60, Q33, Q47, Q48 and Q72 is local public transportation bus operated by (MTA).

M60 serves Astoria Blvd Subway, 125th St/Lex Av (4)(5)(6)-trains, (2)(3) at Lenox Av, (A)(B)(C)(D)-trains at St. Nicholas Av and (1) train at either 116th or 110th Sts.

Q33 serves 82nd St-Jackson Heights for (7), along with Q47 at 74th St-Broadway for (7)(E)(M)(R) trains, Q48/Q72 serves (7) train at Junction Blvd (Q72), 111th St~Flushing-Main St (Q48) and Q47 also serves 69th St (7)-train.

NYC Airporter serves Grand Central Terminal, Bryant Park and Port Authority Bus Terminal.

NYC Airporter shuttle bus that replaced New York Airport Service.

http://www.nycairporter.com/

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

@QTJ, LGA Anarlysie Alternative Open House did not say when new service will come.

Both MTA, NYCDOT, PANY&NJ are working trying trying to improve bus service to/from LGA Airport, including

making M60 SBS (as discussed at 125th St Workshop), Bx41 Webster Av SBS extention to LGA Airport.

According to study, new bus routes includes along 34th St Manhattan into LGA Airport, 57th St bus into LGA Airport.

New express version of Q33 will begin/terminate at Woodside Station, serving 74th St Bus Terminal before heating BQE/GC Parkway for Central Terminal area only.

As in result, Q33 bus local will no longer served Central Terminal, and will end at 94th St/23rd Av way pre-Triboro Coach's terminus with Q72 bus.

New bus routes will not come soon because there could be some NIMBYs might opposite the new bus route.

Remember (MTA) still has budget issue and it properly will not be anytime soon.

Guest MTA Bus

I think it's better to just take the bus to the airport. An express bus from Midtown to LGA is not the best idea because it would likely get stuck in traffic, unless it follows the M60 route in Queens.

M60, Q33, Q47, Q48 and Q72 is local public transportation bus operated by (MTA).

M60 serves Astoria Blvd Subway, 125th St/Lex Av (4)(5)(6)-trains, (2)(3) at Lenox Av, (A)(B)(C)(D)-trains at St. Nicholas Av and (1) train at either 116th or 110th Sts.

Q33 serves 82nd St-Jackson Heights for (7), along with Q47 at 74th St-Broadway for (7)(E)(M)(R) trains, Q48/Q72 serves (7) train at Junction Blvd (Q72), 111th St~Flushing-Main St (Q48) and Q47 also serves 69th St (7)-train.

NYC Airporter serves Grand Central Terminal, Bryant Park and Port Authority Bus Terminal.

NYC Airporter shuttle bus that replaced New York Airport Service.

http://www.nycairporter.com/

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

@QTJ, LGA Anarlysie Alternative Open House did not say when new service will come.

Both MTA, NYCDOT, PANY&NJ are working trying trying to improve bus service to/from LGA Airport, including

making M60 SBS (as discussed at 125th St Workshop), Bx41 Webster Av SBS extention to LGA Airport.

According to study, new bus routes includes along 34th St Manhattan into LGA Airport, 57th St bus into LGA Airport.

New express version of Q33 will begin/terminate at Woodside Station, serving 74th St Bus Terminal before heating BQE/GC Parkway for Central Terminal area only.

As in result, Q33 bus local will no longer served Central Terminal, and will end at 94th St/23rd Av way pre-Triboro Coach's terminus with Q72 bus.

New bus routes will not come soon because there could be some NIMBYs might opposite the new bus route.

Remember (MTA) still has budget issue and it properly will not be anytime soon.

Will you stop with the NIMBY CRAP!!!! New route is an express branch of Q33 so NO NIMBY will have any say towards this route be realistic. 34th and 57th street however are unrealistic lines though. None of these new routes have any way to cross NIMBYs cause they are existing lines and they are express to LGA so NIMBYs will have no say on any of these routes think before creating the infamous NIMBY argument it's old and ignorant.

I think it's better to just take the bus to the airport. An express bus from Midtown to LGA is not the best idea because it would likely get stuck in traffic, unless it follows the M60 route in Queens.

Which is why Q33x makes more sense.

@windy M60 WILL TAKE YOU TO 125TH!!!!!!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm flying into JFK and in NYC from Dec 3-7. I'm looking at shuttles into Penn Station, and from my last visit to NYC in 2009 I remember NYAS running some old 2-stroke Detroits - are these still in service and is there soem sort of fleet summary for NYAS? A google search brought up some new Van Hools in 2010, but definitely keen on some 6v92 or 8v92 action (or 6v71s if they still exist!) Their fleet seemed reasonably tidy and didn't sound unhealthy (No. 175 was one I disctinctly remember having a nice roar to it when it took off from Penn Central).

I am also wondering if there will be any heritage subway trains or buses running on Christmas specials this year? Do the buses run out of Amsterdam if they are running?

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming information from a grateful Australian!

Well thank you for digging up such a pointless argument from three years. Thank you very much! :angry:

Thanks for the info. By "suburban" I was referring to MCI D4500s etc.. I'd be happy to ride one of them to/from the Airports as long as it isn't just a normal commuter bus or a cutaway.

I don't know your defenition of a "normal commuter bus". Do you mean to say local bus? If so, understand that the M60 is regarded as a local route by the (MTA) and as such is operated with local buses.

From what I last recall, the route mainly uses Nova RTS's & .Orion VII's. As of late, the route also uses Nova LFSA's.

Also, in the future, please don't hesitate to create a new thread, as your post will be better understood. Thanks.

I think given the context, I felt it was just easier to add to an existing topic.

Not enthused to ride low floor buses, a long ride on an RTS would be interesting, however I think that given that I'll be coming off a long flight, the last thing I want is a long bus ride on something that doesn't have highback suburban seats. The Airtrain+LIRR option is more feasible, and I won't be laden with a whole lot of luggage (a small suitcase on wheels, and camera back-pack and tripod). It looks like I have a few options for La Guardia. I'm actually flying out of Newark when I am heading back towards Australia, so I'll be able to pass through the main airports in the area.

Fair enough.

I should add that if you are specifically searching for RTS's, the M60 does not operate as many as years past, due to the arrival of the LFSA's. If you are looking for a certain fleet, consider checking this roster: http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MTA_Regional_Bus_Operations_Depot_Roster . Here you can find the systemwide list of depots and the fleets and routes they operate.

I don't know your defenition of a "normal commuter bus". Do you mean to say local bus?

More often than not, when people make reference to a commuter bus/commuter route, they're referring to the exact opposite of a local route in their city/town.... For example, in NYC, a commuter route is basically any of our express routes.... With Westchester, a commuter route is one that basically takes people from a given community to a RR station..... In NJ, I'd venture to say a commuter route would be anything that runs from a given community/ies straight (or as close to possible as straight to) places like PABT, Camden/Philly, and Newark.....

I understand that in North America a "transit" is what we know as a bus. A "bus" is what we call a coach, which are what we have on Greyhound etc. We don't really operate vehicles with high-back seats on commuter express services, we just have normal buses and can take standees. The last MCIs to oeprate in Australia were the MC-9s which Gray Line and Greyhound operated many many moons ago. I rather like the D4500s and if I can ride one out to somewhere in Long Island, then that would be pretty awesome. It's a shame that such vehicles don't get used on the Airport services, and a bit disappointing that alot of 2-stroke action has gone - yet in Canada there's quite alot getting around.

We have had some local route buses which got fitted with Carrier air-conditioning systems. One of them kept failing and we worked out that the different interpretation of "bus" led to the wrong air-conditioning unit to be sent out to Australia to be fitted on the vehicle. Naturally with stop-start and the doors opening and closing, the system struggled to keep the interior cooled or warmed, as it was more used to open road running and constant airflow, and the cabin temperature being relatively constant.

The NYC Airporter is also looking quite attractive. As long as I sit on the driver's side, at least I can watch the passing vehicles and watch coaches etc. heading towards the airport. What are the vehicles they use? Looks like an International or Freightliner with a cutaway style body?

The NYC Airporter is also looking quite attractive. As long as I sit on the driver's side, at least I can watch the passing vehicles and watch coaches etc. heading towards the airport. What are the vehicles they use? Looks like an International or Freightliner with a cutaway style body?

And sit in traffic for god knows how long enjoy that on an minibus :lol: Again your better off with airtrain $5 is NOT expensive at all and around the same price as the NYC airporter if not cheaper. $7.25 for fast train vs $13 to sit on the van wyck forever. Or $10.75 LIRR/Airtrain combo which is still cheaper than the NYC airporter bus.

In a nutshell the NYC airporter bus is the most expensive and slowest option out there.

If you're interest to ride MCI Buses, once you get off AirTrain JFK at Howard Beach, purchase 7-Day Express Bus Plus Unlimited MetroCard and take (A) to Rockaway Blvd for QM15.

All Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island expresses are $5.50.

Bee-Line used to had MCI when fare was $5.50 and it was also used on $2.25 local trip on #77.

Maybe, you might have chance to catch MCI on Coach USA, Tappan Zee Express and CT Transit's I-Bus.

Here are NYC Airporter shots I took:

sml_gallery_6163_5_46630.jpg

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServices/InterAirportServices.aspx

There are lots more if put in Google Image search engine.

Archived