Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Does anybody recommend any online petition sites? I'll try to see if I can get one of my proposals passed (I'll probably either try the S82 or just the streamlining of the buses behind the mall), but I want to see if there's one where I could attach a link to my Google Maps route to make everything clearer (instead of listing out the turn-by-turn directions)

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night, Honors Convocation went tremendously. A long-time family friend, my mom, and my dad attended as my guests for the ceremony. In the ceremony, several friends who were or are students showed up to accept recognition and/or awards for their respective departments. I got an award by my graphic design department, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and recognition for graduating Summa Cum Laude (a 3.990 GPA). I'll also be the Banner Bearer for my entire technology section for Monday's Graduation Commencement, which I'm REALLY excited for. :D

I get really ticked off when some people just take their merry old time to JAYWALK on the busiest road in the area. We have places to be and things to do, jaywalkers. Also, some bikers cut across like two lanes of traffic to see a friend. Geez can you spare 2 minutes for your welfare and life? Also I like the old meters instead of those MuniMeters. Also can they change the name of those. It just sounds kinda, well, something I just can't describe.

Edited by Brightonkid7

I get really ticked off when some people just take their merry old time to JAYWALK on the busiest road in the area. We have places to be and things to do, jaywalkers. Also, some bikers cut across like two lanes of traffic to see a friend. Geez can you spare 2 minutes for your welfare and life? Also I like the old meters instead of those MuniMeters. Also can they change the name of those. It just sounds kinda, well, something I just can't describe.

People walk across Hempstead Turnpike out east just to catch their bus... the narrower streets I can understand, but people just leap across the most dangerous road on the Island for one bus... it's horrible. Someone's going to get killed at this rate.

A story i'm working on (Noticed a few flaws and inconsistencies that will be fixed soon)

PINEWOOD FACILITY

"Tonight, an ABC news special, an exclusive interview with a Pinewood Facility worker. Now fillies and gentlecolt, Diane Sawyer." "Hello, tonight I will interview Robert Diddleshot, a Pinewood Facility worker. Now tell me Robert.... What was it like there?" "From my perspective? What I saw everyday? I just took the train out to Greenport, and walked into the building." "Now, why do you think it was located in a small town like Greenport?" "Just in case something like this happened. But anyways, I made sure to head downstairs, where the real work took place. I said "Hay" to all of the distribution guys, and walked into the Computer Core Division. The door broke, so it was already open. About a third of us ran to the bathroom, about half ran to the elevator into Sector A. The other ones just started working in "Overall Manegement." Me? I was one of the elevator runners. Always made sure to use the bathroom on the train so I wouldn't be stuck waiting 25 minutes for another elevator. About 10 minutes later the elevator finally arrives at Sector A. "Core Entrance". We all scrambled off into different directions. Me and the guys, we always went to Administrative Control. Thats where we worked. The elevator going up to Sector C "Security / Administrative Control" was always 1000% faster than the one going down, even tough they were the same distance. We walked past Security, and went into the de-pressurization chamber. We learned to bolt through, so that we could go without having to change into suits.And oh ho ho.... Admin Control was so beautiful..... The first thing you saw was what seemed like infinite computers the size of WATSON... Then you see screens. That was the beautiful part. There were so many... All of them over 600 In...... And the center "Admin Control" screen.... It seemed to go on for miles..... It proabably did, seeing how it has to cover every detail about the computer. I was a , so I sat down at a computer beyond imagination. It just is so amazing... I'm having trouble finding the right words to describe it. You know how if you look at a typical video of the future, there are screens and whatnot all over the place, and they are all transperant and touch screen? Well that was my computer. Oh colt, the first time I saw it, I was amazed, but now it just seems normal, after seeing it every day. For 8 hours. For years." "Excuse me, but you mentioned your first day. I know this is sidetracking you, but can you tell me what your first day was like?" "Sure, not a problem. Well, it was graduation day, and I was graduating from MIT. My professer pulled me aside, and said "Do you already have a job alinged for you when you graduate?" I responded, "No". "Good." My profeeser continued, " There is a company in Greenport that is hiring. I don't care where you are moving to. You have to go to this job." I got a little freaked out after this, because in all of my eight years of knowing the professer, he had never been this ominus. I then asked "Why?" he then said, "There aren't enough. We'll be lucky if we get enough to open it on starting date." "Well, what is this job that it's so important that it opens on starting day?" "This is the most important job in the world. I'm not exxageratting. This job could make you solve anything. String theory, the cure to cancer, the world WILL change. Call this number when you get back home. For the sake of civilization." He then hoofed me a slip of paper with a phone number on it, that had an area code I did not recognise. It was 789. When I got home, I googeled it. It said the area code was "Not In Service." It took me a few days to finish unpacking. Then once I finished, I called the number. It actually started ringing, which gave me a jolt, because phone numbers can't have this area code. I think I screamed when somepony picked up, because the guy on the other end said "Woah, didn't mean to frigthen ya." I got hold of myself and said "Oh sorry. Hello, I graduated MIT last week, and my professer told me to cal this number." "Let me see... Let me see...." It sounded like the guy on the other end was looking trough papers. He then said "Robert Diddleshot?" "Yeah", I responded. "Good. Our tour is tomorrow. Do you know how to get to Greenport?" I googeled the place in anticapation of this call, and saw it was near LIRR. "Yeah." I said. The other guy resonded "Good. Will you be arriving trough the train or the ferry?" "The train" I said. "Alright, take the 9:14 out of Penn Station." I made an exasperated sigh, as for it was already 10PM, and I would have to take the 8 O'clock out of Port Wash. Well this was the most important job in the world, so I said "Alright. I'll try my hardest to be there. Assuming the train gets in more than a half hour late, could I call this number and tell you i'm going to be running late?" "If you get there late, you don't get the job." "Alright. See you tomorrow." I take it back. I'm going to have to take the 6:45 out. I woke up in the morning at 5AM. I was not going to miss this train. I put on my suit, locked the door, and got in the cab I called the night before. I got to the train station by 6:13AM. I looked and saw the next train was leaving in five minutes. "Aw crap" I said, while running to the ticket machine. I got to the ticket machine, got the ticket, forgetting to select PEAK. I run on the train literally seconds before the doors close. I sit down, with a relieved sigh. The conducter comes in the car. I take my ticket out, and he looks at me like something's wrong. I don't notice at first. After about ten seconds, I notice he hasn't given me my ticket back. I lok up and go, "What?". He says "This is an off-peak ticket." "UUGGHH!" I slam my face into the seat. "Fine, i'll just use that for the way back. How much is the ticket?" "$16.00" I only had an extra ten bucks on me. "UUUGGGHHH!"I slam my face into the seat again multiple times. "Look i'm sorry, I only have an extra ten bucks on me, and i'm going to a job interview. Is there any way I can just give you five bucks and count it as a peak ticket?" "Alright." I hoof him the five bucks and he clips my ticket. Now as long as the train isn't two hours late, i'm in the clear. I arrive at Penn about five minutes late. I have exactly two hours until my train leaves. I'm good. I eat, and find a few other ponies who are going to the same interview. I even talked to a guy that came in from Florida. We all stood at the track the stationmaster said our train would come on. We saw the train crawl in, like it always does, and thought "This is the train that will take us to a new stage in our lives. A new stage in the world." We all got on. We all sat together in the same car. Sharing our stories. Discussing what we thoguht this was. What it could be. Why we were here. The train rolled out, right on time. And even tough we guessed what it was, we all knew. This was something we could not guess. This is something that the we have never seen. This is something the world had never seen. This is something that can simply not fit in our imagnination. Here we have the smartest minds in the world. All on one train, to get to one place. Hope. (Possible chapter end) Our train pulled into Ronkonkoma and the conducter said "LAST STOP!" We freaked out. No, we couldn't have passed Greenport. We couldn't have! We all run to the conducter at once. In hindsight I wonder how it looked from the conducters prespective. Probably just over 100 guys in suits running at him from all directions. All at once. We all spoke at once, making what we wanted to say inaudible. Until I finally stepped up and said "EVERYPONY SHUT THE HAY UP. WE ARE NEVER GOING TO GET THIS ANWSERED IF WE KEEP TALKING." Everypony grew silent. I then asked the conducter "How do we get to Greenport?" The conducter pointed. We all looked. There was another train. "Oh thank God!" I heard somewhere in the crowd. We all ran to the other platform and I we all stopped at the train and looked at it. "Aw crap." I said. The train was one car long. There was no way we could all fit. (Possible chapter end) Well, it was a worth a try. We all went into the car. With some of us standing of course. The conducter had a look on his face like "WTF?" when he saw 100 guys with suits crammed into one car. The conducter took all of our tickets and asked "So, this train is usually close to empty. What brings all of you here?" "A job interview." "Wow, guess times are tough". He chuckeled. He then went into his area. The rest of the ride was silent. Nopony got on or off the train the rest of the way. It was just us the whole time. I could tell they knew. There was a reason I was here. A different reason then the rest of them. And I don't know if it was just me but I think there was something about us. We all thought together. We never needed any words. We all knew, what we needed to do. All at once. If a decision needed to be made in a second, we would be able to. All of us. There definitly was something about us. I don't know how we did this, but we did. Hell, it's this. This is what saved my life. I know this now. (Possible chapter end) We all got off at Greenport. In silence. Something had happened after I spoke up. There was something different now. Upwards of about twenty stretch limos waited for us. The citezens of Greenport stared at us in awe, as we all got out of the train car into the stretch limos. In two synchronized rows. The residents of Greenport didn't know what was going on. All they knew is that twenty stretch limos pulled up at the train station. Then they waited, They waited to see why. This was why. I can only imagine what they thought too, suddenly seeing twenty stretch limos pull up to the train station. In this town of only a thousand ponies. Then seeing hundreds of ponies all wearing suits. All knowing where to go in sync get out of this train that normally doesn't have more than a few ponies on it. This is when the residents knew. This is when they knew. Something was about to happen. They didn't know what. They just knew. Something will be happening. Now see, this is a prime example of what I was talking about earlier. We all knew which limo to get into. The drivers were outside of their cars. They didn't need to tell us. This probably made the Greenport residents even more scared. Because as I said, they didn't know. They probably couldn't even ponder what was about to happen to their town. When I got out of the car and saw all of this, I thought exactly what I just said in just a matter of seconds. You could see the scaredness on their face. They feared for their lives. This has never happened before. They just stood still, watching. I got into my limo. And I was relieved I couldn't see the ponies anymore. I felt bad doing this to them. Just leaving this note of omnicity over their heads. So they couldn't think. Couldn't move. Couldn't do anything but watch. Watch what they knew was going to change their town forever. They knew something was up when the limos came. But they never expected this. Just a presantation of this magnitude. I kept trying to put this all behind me, and look around my limo, see the ponies that I were going to change the world with. But I just couldn't do it. That brief image stuck in my mind. And the worst part was, unlike me, well i'm finding out in a few minutes what it is. They aren't. Hell, I don't even know if they know about the new buisness. If they knew was caused because of it. All these questions. When we drove by the school, I could see. They all stopped doing whatever it was they were doing, and looked. With that same frozen face. There was a bit less fear in their eyes, because they couldn't see us. They didn't know who we were. But it was still just as bad. We pulled onto an abandoned road. When the car stopped we all got out. There was just a rusted building, that was very small consedering how many ponies were here. A stallion that was not on the train stepped up to the dropdown gate that covered the length of the building. He grabbed a key and unlocked it. He then flew it up. Hello, my name is Daniel Thomas. I am the owner of Pinewood Facility, the place you are about to enter. That is the most I can explain to you up here. Come everypony downstairs. We all went down. Except the drivers. They had done their work. They all got in their cars, started them up, and drove off. This was it. We were finally here. There is no turning back. The place looked recently built, with perfect lighting, and brand new tiles. I looked up backwards and immediatly turned back around. We were so far down, I couldn't see the top. I was afraid to look down, in fear of how far it might be. There were ponies directly behind me and in front of me. I had to stay still. God forbid I fell. I would kill all these ponies. That just made the pressure that much worse. I had to brave up through this. And I did. Four minutes later, we reached the bottom. "You are right now 4 miles under the surface." I knew it. I knew this was something we couldn't guess. Four miles. Has stallion ever gone this deep before? We knew it. This was beyond our imagination. At first we doubted it but now we knew. This will change the world. And it was confirmed once he said "A processor array of massive scale, a computer beyond imagination. Cooled by liquid nitrogen, warmed by the heat of the earth's core. Welcome, to Pinewood Facility. The heart of the worlds intellegeince."

"You are all here for the first step. The only way this place can run is YOU." The stallion pressed a button next to the door, and the door went up. We entered a hall where there were two blocked doors. We walked past the hall into the lobby. All we could see from the raised elavation was the giant clock. 'Now before we go any further, you all have to agree to never speak of what you saw in here. That will make us have to shut down. And then you will be depriving the worl of this. You can not tell anypony, not your son, your mom, your wife, or the pope." We all agreed. I am assuming now I can talk about since the whole world knows. "Now here's what I want all of you to do. Program it." Nopony knew what that meant, because we still didn't even know what was here. This computer will run equations for anything. It is a quantum computer. You will program pretty much the world into this computer. Make sure this knows everything. That is why you are here. Now let me show you around." We stepped onto the balcony and saw a bare floor with a few machines in the corner, and a ramp going down. "Mind you, we are still under construction." We walked across the balcony to the ramp going down. "These machines track everything in this facility, incase something goes wrong." We walked across the lobby. "These are the bathrooms. Stallions's and mares's." From a quick glimpse inside they seeme like a traditional office bathroom, except without doors. I was hoping that thy were going to put some in later. They didn't but nevertheless... We walked back across the lobby. "Now be VERY careful across this plank. If you fall you WILL die. He stopped us halfway at the plank and he said "Hop up there." We wnt up to a place that didn't look like it served any purpose. We slid under the clock wall, and looked over the edge of the floor. When I first saw it, i gasped. The first thing I noticed, was how far down everything was. Where there wasn't something it seemed to go down to eternity. But then I saw the core. On a predastal in the middle of the pit, was a this giant thing.... that was very deep, we could only see the top which seemed to have handlebars on it. And the bottom was covered in steam. We saw a few passeges leading to the core.

Wait, you bribed the cashier?

No, the one thing I hate about the Whole Foods at Union Square is they are complete morons when it comes to weighing items and also having the correct price listed on the shelves so since I shop at various Whole Foods locations, I always review my receipts against my American Express and then check the charges to see if I was overcharged for anything. I should point out that it is mainly the Union Square location with this problem and their carelessness has led to me getting many items for free or for next to nothing. Last year in fact at the Columbus Circle location I got a big bottle of imported ale from Belgium for $3.00. The beer was something like $14.00 originally, but they couldn't scan it and of course I made a stink since I wanted to catch my express bus home. <_<

Now back in May 21st at the Union Square location, I bought a few items at the cold bar (made a vegetable salad) and got a small side of pieces of falafel. Both items had to be weighed, so I see the cashier weigh the items together, then weigh them again and charge me for it again, so I said to him, wait a minute, how are these two items $11.50?? He takes off an amount that doesn't match either of the charges, but at the time the price seemed fair so I didn't bother to make a stink, but in checking my receipt I said, wait a minute this still doesn't make sense, so I said screw it. Request the full $11.50 back because when they overcharge you you're supposed to get the item for free, so that's what I did... Called up Amex today and I got the $11.50 credited to my account in less than 5 mins from the phone call.

The following day (May 22nd) I picked up a poblan corn soup that didn't smell right when I got back to the office so I requested the money for that too and got it... $5.49... Now today I was there and picked up this water from Iceland that was supposed to be on sale for 2 for $4.00. They overcharged me for that, so when that posts to my account I'll just have Amex credit me for that too. I saw the difference too at the register, but I didn't feel like waiting for them to go downstairs and check and then correct it... No no no.... My time is precious and they try to be slick sometimes and not honor the policy of giving you the item for free, so I kill two birds with one stone... My time is saved, as well as my money staying in my pocket with a free item as the reward. I'd have to say that between the stuff that Whole Foods has given me for free and what I've disputed and received from Amex that I've gotten back at least $100.00 if not more.

One time I kept buying an item purposely knowing that they had the price wrong. I said okay I'll teach them a lesson... Too lazy to correct the prices... I'll help myself to those tasty cookies from France... Got two boxes of those suckers... The second time I did it one of the managers or whatever he was recognized me as a regular and knew that I had received that item for free before but yet they still hadn't corrected the price, so then they finally made the correction on that item only after it cost them almost $10.00... :lol:

I'm designing a new type of bridge in my engineering/lunchtime notebook.

Also, 5th grade gets a senior trip to Adventureland on June 13! We go from 8:00 to 4:30.(Includes sitting in a boiling hot school bus in the middle of 495 Interstate for 11/2 hours.)

Edited by Brightonkid7

Mickey Mantle's to close soon. I went there once many years ago and liked it. I only hope a current or former Yankee can come in to buy the place. Would be a shame for that place to be replaced by some unknown restaurant.

Where is it located at?

Mickey Mantle's to close soon. I went there once many years ago and liked it. I only hope a current or former Yankee can come in to buy the place. Would be a shame for that place to be replaced by some unknown restaurant.

Maybe they'll move elsewhere, but I can assure you that some "no name" restaurant won't move in. Central Park South is prime real estate so what would more than likely happen is a high end place would take its spot. There have been a few Italian places (some of the best of the city) that had restaurants in that area and moved to the Flat Iron District where the rents are more reasonable, one of them being San Domenico 26. Lunch will set you back a good $75.00 - $100.00 but hey somebody has to pay for the rent. :D

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I'm designing a new type of bridge in my engineering/lunchtime notebook.

Also, 5th grade gets a senior trip to Adventureland on June 13! We go from 8:00 to 4:30.(Includes sitting in a boiling hot school bus in the middle of 495 Interstate for 11/2 hours.)

We have to be at school by 6AM for the Boston field trip.... (Which is coincidentally also on the 13th) Not to mention we'll get stuck in Rush Hour traffic in Boston.... (At least we got an A/C'd coach!)

We have to be at school by 6AM for the Boston field trip.... (Which is coincidentally also on the 13th) Not to mention we'll get stuck in Rush Hour traffic in Boston.... (At least we got an A/C'd coach!)

You guys are lucky you have trips on that day ! -.- Im going to be stuck in my school for 2 hours taking the global regents -__-

People walk across Hempstead Turnpike out east just to catch their bus... the narrower streets I can understand, but people just leap across the most dangerous road on the Island for one bus... it's horrible. Someone's going to get killed at this rate.

Well, if the next bus is 20 minutes away and you don't think there's a chance of you getting hit, I could understand it.

Anyway, I just took the ACT. The test asked a bunch of stupid questions and the proctor was a friggin' moron. And going back worked out terribly. I waited 20 minutes for the SIR, just missed the S59, and the next S59 came 10 minutes late, so I waited 30 minutes for the bus, plus 20 minutes for the train. If she hadn't been so slow, I would've caught the earlier train and an earlier bus.

On a side note, I saw an S79 going southbound that said "Bay Ridge 86th Street Station", and then said "Storm Route" instead of "via Hylan)

Going into all AP next year! Also, why can't we take Social Studies or ELA regents in 8th grade? They should really change that.

On another note, I just finished watching Carrie, and it was pretty good. Stephen King hasn't failed me yet.

Going into all AP next year! Also, why can't we take Social Studies or ELA regents in 8th grade? They should really change that.

On another note, I just finished watching Carrie, and it was pretty good. Stephen King hasn't failed me yet.

The Social Studies Regents, well there's two of them.. (US History & Global History) aren't taken in Freshman Year of H.S., you take Global Regents in Sophomore Year (like me) & you take US Regents in Junior Year, so you can't take it in 8th grade, as you need to take TWO years of Global History, English you take as a Junior & you need to learn American AND British Literature, so you need to study that for 3 years before you take the regents, you can take the Algebra Regents & Earth Science/or Living Environment Regents in 8th grade because you only need to take those classes for a year...

Edited by MTAFanBoy512

My brother's taking the US History Regents this year (He's in 8th grade)