Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should have a general 'rants and pet peeves' thread. Anyone for it?

Something which is starting to tick me off is people's inability to accept the fact that others have varying opinions.

Last semester, I revealed to a few of my friends that I am an atheist. This semester, this information seems to have travelled around the school like forest fire, and almost everyone who I have ever had dialogue with now seems to know of my lack of religious faith. And they ask me why, and I tell them that I just can't see any convincing proof for the existence of God. That is where it should have ended.

But instead, I am surrounded by people bothering me, trying to come up with evidence, and trying to get me to answer questions like "what started the big bang", and how this is supposedly irrefutable evidence. Now, I am all for a good debate, and will partake in one if they choose to push it, but still... leave me alone. I don't go around trying to convince theists to change their mind (indeed, I hardly think such a move from anyone would win approval anywhere), why do these guys insist on doing so??

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Typical Creationist vs Evolutionist debates...too bad your scenario is not the ideal one in both parties.

Something which is starting to tick me off is people's inability to accept the fact that others have varying opinions.

We all fell victim to this once or twice, unfortunately you have also.

Typical Creationist vs Evolutionist debates...too bad your scenario is not the ideal one in both parties.

I don't care for them. People like Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris made it work... I forget most good points that I have lying around my head if someone challenges me :mellow:

A no to the peeve thread, I take it?

I have 2 strikes under my belt about my language...and one of them is from Harry himself lol

I don't know whether if I've been warned or not, but I'm sure I've been...watched to say the least. But when I mean I have a heavy filter, I mean I tend to keep straight truthful words out of my responses because I know a lot can not handle them. Or probably my opinions are outrageously point blank which again, not a lot can handle but say adults can.

I don't care for them. People like Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris made it work... I forget most good points that I have lying around my head if someone challenges me :mellow:

A no to the peeve thread, I take it?

You didn't really understand my post but I figured that already while posting it. My post meant in literal terms, that most people who have these kinds of debates do not fully understand what creationist means or even evolution...and I mean in both parties as well.

And also to add, a peeve thread? I requested a flamethrower thread a few months ago which is basically the same thing, just my suggestion has no boundaries. But it's confirmed that people will take things too seriously sometimes and take things the total opposite of wrong, in wrong ways.

I remember that earthquake all too well. My dad called me and told me about it. I remember the one that happened in the Gulf of Mexico. Our teacher stated an earthquake wasn't likely to happen near Florida. That was funny when we came back to school on Monday and questioned him on that. :P

Edited by DJ MC

I slept through it and when I woke up a few minutes later to go to get ready for work, that's all that was playing on the TV and my mother was panicking about it.

I get to work later that day and everyone was asking me did I feel anything and I told them I slept straight through it

I slept through it and when I woke up a few minutes later to go to get ready for work, that's all that was playing on the TV and my mother was panicking about it.

I get to work later that day and everyone was asking me did I feel anything and I told them I slept straight through it

Lol I wonder what it was like if you were in an tall building or elevator.

Anyways, this snow made me make $875 dollars since Dec shoveling snow. First year doing it too. But now they acting like im some snow plow. "Can you shovel my whole driveway?", "Can you dig my car out?" or during the storm "Can you push my car up the hill?" Like im on only 17 if you want me doing all that its $50+

My regional location leaves me used to earthquakes to an extent. Luckily I've never have had to deal with any damage of sorts, but there's been some crazy ones.

Anyhow, back to the topic (ironic, I now), it's amazing where roses, a box of chocolates and a good Merlot will take you in one night.