Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in Florida apparently there's another case of a naked man getting shot trying to eat the face of a teenager. Welp I'm done with Florida, Disney land is cool and all bit I'll stick to Coney Island and Hershey park.

So? Shit like that happens everyday. There has been a number of times serious car accidents don't even get reported to the media and the same goes with crimes too. That story about the naked man just got lucky enough to be reported in the news.

Where was the news story when several kids got expelled for bringing drugs to my old middle school? Or what about the bus that I saw rear ended? Also another thing, Disney World is not in Miami, it's in Lake Buena Vista, which is over 200 miles away from Miami.

Edited by DJ MC

LOL Yeah, Disneyland is in Cali, Disney World is Florida. Waiting for them to probably blame weed if it wasn't "bath salts."

Seeing how it happened in Miami, they'll probably blame cocaine, since that was a prevalent drug in the 1980s. 

So? Shit like that happens everyday. There has been a number of times serious car accidents don't even get reported to the media and the same goes with crimes too. Where was the media when several kids got expelled for bringing drugs to my old middle school? Or what about the bus that I saw rear ended? I didn't see News 13 over in those cases there. I rest my case.

Its about about selective reporting, idiot editors, publishers and outright media or marketing bias which many fools (Not you Screechy) fall for like its verses out of the holy bible like morons. The scars we see in todays national status quo goes far and runs deep in many ways.

Sad to see that our young ones fall for this nonsense they get hurled at them forgetting the great minds of the past decades. Ever feel like we are going in reverse direction in today's society? The media is indeed a propaganda tool of stereotypes and lies and I am not talking about this supposed war on terror, thats miniscule compared to what I am really talking about here which the haters will not like to hear.

Edited by realizm

i just need to let this off my chest, 

im living with my parents in a duplex and were dealing with a scum lord (guy is the executor for his daughter who lives out of town) and we are basiclly living in a fire hazard with rats and he is ignoring the problem, and threatens my family with eviction because we say we refuse to pay the rent until he fixes the problem .Hes only doing it just to silence us. we tried to contact his daughter to help the situation but she tries to throw it back onto us and they are trying to hold us hostage into signing a new lease or they will evict us. His daughter somehow heard that we can't afford the rent and want us out WHICH WE NEVER SAID. we got city code you name it involved in this and we even have the local nbc  affiliate involved. He's threatening our lives with these nasty rats which have diseases and can kill our dog with parvo. we also consulted an attorney and he said what their doing is illegal and the lease is FRAUD! 

today the guy brings a roof guy and an exterminator, the jerk is trying to avoid us saying i don't want to talk to you,  my mother was telling the first guy where to look and he tells my mother to shut up! which infuriates me and  i yelled at him to dropping every swear word you can think of  and saying TELL MY MOTHER TO SHUT UP AGAIN!  Next he went over to the other side opened the gate and then their dog ran away around the neighborhood, the neighbor had to call one of his cop buddies to help him and gets the dog, in this time the scumlord come's back with a person to be with him because understand we both duplex's are in full revolt! then he come' then the jerk has the nerve to put a notice of pay or leave, it's a tense situation

LOL Yeah, Disneyland is in Cali, Disney World is Florida.

Believe me, most in Cali only want it for the jobs, otherwise Florida can keep all the parks for all that it matters.

Seeing how it happened in Miami, they'll probably blame cocaine, since that was a prevalent drug in the 1980s.

What, you do coke now? Nice.

im living with my parents in a duplex and were dealing with a scum lord (guy is the executor for his daughter who lives out of town) and we are basiclly living in a fire hazard with rats and he is ignoring the problem, and threatens my family with eviction because we say we refuse to pay the rent until he fixes the problem .Hes only doing it just to silence us. we tried to contact his daughter to help the situation but she tries to throw it back onto us and they are trying to hold us hostage into signing a new lease or they will evict us. His daughter somehow heard that we can't afford the rent and want us out WHICH WE NEVER SAID. we got city code you name it involved in this and we even have the local nbc  affiliate involved. He's threatening our lives with these nasty rats which have diseases and can kill our dog with parvo. we also consulted an attorney and he said what their doing is illegal and the lease is FRAUD! 

today the guy brings a roof guy and an exterminator, the jerk is trying to avoid us saying i don't want to talk to you,  my mother was telling the first guy where to look and he tells my mother to shut up! which infuriates me and  i yelled at him to dropping every swear word you can think of  and saying TELL MY MOTHER TO SHUT UP AGAIN!  Next he went over to the other side opened the gate and then their dog ran away around the neighborhood, the neighbor had to call one of his cop buddies to help him and gets the dog, in this time the scumlord come's back with a person to be with him because understand we both duplex's are in full revolt! then he come' then the jerk has the nerve to put a notice of pay or leave, it's a tense situation

I'd definitely would take him to court on the matter, as there are many violations on his part as a landlord, failing to properly accommodate you and your family (the tenant). If I were you I'd ask for restitution as well for having to live in the aforementioned harmful conditions.

I'd personally advise you seek legal  advise, but if you're confident you can make a case then do so, as there is plenty to work with that will ultimately end up in your favor.

Watched a lot of detective shows back when I was in high school dude. Plus did you ever see Scarface? That's how shit was back then in Miami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine_Cowboys

Recommend seeing this.

Youtube blocked the movie but I found something similar to it. Will check it out, just found it off a google search:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZqwUHLHP7g

Theres a obvious propogandic slant to it but the facts are there. The CIA's questionable practices during their campaigns in Nicaragua and Panama over this sorry ass drug war is seriously disturbing. 

* Here we go, the first ten minutes of the video you recommened:

Edited by realizm

The tenant landlord laws in your area may be different but in New York if this ever went to civil court in NYC with this information you are presenting, the landlord is screwed he will get eaten alive. The judge would absolutely be in favor of the tenant in this case granting up to a year from the trial date to give you time to move out. Meanwhile the landlord will be heavily fined by NYCHA HPD ridiculous and at threat of even having his property seized by the NYC Marshalls in case of city code violations. Arrested by the NYPD if this becomes blatent forms of harassment such as illegal lockouts. The cops do not play with landlords in such cases they will lock them up if violating illegal lockout laws. I guess the same goes with Florida.

This has happened to me and my ex landlord and myself ended up in a several thousand dollar settlement under the table because he knew I had the upper hand in court after presenting the facts (similar reasons to yours). That money is alot, I put that into my new apartment and paid several months in advance on my new home. Anyway, it sounds like you have a good case. However save the rent checks, dont blow it. And dont give it to the landlord of course, f**k him. 

Ultimately some of the harassment the police cannot do anything about, unless it comes to the point he is being reckless and a harm to your safety or well being. The dirtbag landlord knows this so he will continue to harass you. I am not sure about noise level laws in Florida either but in NYC if you make continuous noise after 10PM you can simply call the police to see to it that law is enforced. If the landlord does an illegal lockout in NY the NYPD will lock him up, literally arrest him. I imagine it would be the same in FLA...

So save the rent checks as you press on and fight this so as to find reasonable time to move out. The Florida courts should work with you in this situation which is clearly blatant landlord harassment. It amazes me your landlord is that f**king stupid to play games like this. Doesn't he realize he is breaking the law? What a f**king idiot...

One more thing if he has a lawyer who hands you a court issued vacate notice go to court immediately. And do not be in fear, the judge will give you time even in Florida with its draconian laws this state has as compared to more progressive US states. In your case months and months sometimes a year or more even because again he may see how much of a POS your landlord is and side with you on this one, working with your financial circumstances. But again save those rent checks. Eventually you will have to get away from this psycho, no way around it. He will only get worse, and apparently he may know the laws just enough to not get himself arrested while making your life an utter misery.

Document everything he says and do, get pictures of all code violations as you can. You may have to present this in court whichever way it happens.

Edited by realizm

The problem is that even though he hasn't fixed the repairs in the duplex, your family is not supposed to withhold the rent.  Failure to pay the rent, even though you have repairs that are needed, can allow him to petition the court to have you evicted.  New York City in particular usually errs on the side of the tenants, so long as they demonstrate that they can pay the arrears, but each state is different.  You can also take the landlord to court and petition the court to order that the repairs be done or if your family is still in a lease, you can petition the court to break that lease and bring evidence to support your request as to why the lease should be broken so that you can then move without penalty because even though repairs are needed, the landlord can still petition the court to order that your family pay the arrears due to him, so it's important that you guys document everything in writing, take photos and have all paperwork together when you go to court.  Do all communications via certified mail so that you have proof of your communications with the landlord and his unwillingness to be cooperative.

This link below should help:

http://www2.fiu.edu/~caj/landlordtenantinformation.htm

we have everything from code inspection email, certified mail you name it. we also have the right to withhold rent as it says in the link you provided me vg8. look after the before you rent section

also now he is using an excuse that the contractors don't want to  do work because of my mom and the neighbor 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

The problem is that even though he hasn't fixed the repairs in the duplex, your family is not supposed to withhold the rent.  Failure to pay the rent, even though you have repairs that are needed, can allow him to petition the court to have you evicted.  New York City in particular usually errs on the side of the tenants, so long as they demonstrate that they can pay the arrears, but each state is different.  You can also take the landlord to court and petition the court to order that the repairs be done or if your family is still in a lease, you can petition the court to break that lease and bring evidence to support your request as to why the lease should be broken so that you can then move without penalty because even though repairs are needed, the landlord can still petition the court to order that your family pay the arrears due to him, so it's important that you guys document everything in writing, take photos and have all paperwork together when you go to court.  Do all communications via certified mail so that you have proof of your communications with the landlord and his unwillingness to be cooperative.

This link below should help:

http://www2.fiu.edu/~caj/landlordtenantinformation.htm

The word is not 'petition' the court, its called a supeona to provide defense. Thats what he needs to do. And obviously he may need to get away from the harrassment and substandard living conditions so he should withhold the rent obviously so he can make deposit and first month on a better place. The judge will give him plenty of time to make arrangements. I mean who would want to live under a slumlord? Something to think about. 

The slumlord already has code violations as it is so he will have to vacate all tenants. Lets use practical judgement here.

we have everything from code inspection email, certified mail you name it. we also have the right to withhold rent as it says in the link you provided me vg8. look after the before you rent section

also now he is using an excuse that the contractors don't want to  do work because of my mom and the neighbor 

Thats why I made the above response, VG8 is wrong.

The word is not 'petition' the court, its called a supeona to provide defense. Thats what he needs to do. And obviously he may need to get away from the harrassment and substandard living conditions so he should withhold the rent obviously so he can make deposit and first month on a better place. The judge will give him plenty of time to make arrangements. I mean who would want to live under a slumlord? Something to think about. 

The slumlord already has code violations as it is so he will have to vacate all tenants. Lets use practical judgement here.

Thats why I made the above response, VG8 is wrong.

When the landlord wants a tenant evicted, they petition the court because the court (the judge) is the one that has the final say in whether or not to uphold the petition.  I know what I'm talking about.  And no you cannot just withhold the rent.  You're in violation of your lease.  Sure you can do it and play hardball, but the landlord then can ask the court (petition the court) that you be evicted for being in violation of your lease, regardless of whether or not the repairs have been made.  The legal way to withhold rent is to notify the landlord in writing and put the monies in an account, this way you show that you have the monies but are withholding them due to non-repairs.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

When the landlord wants a tenant evicted, they petition the court because the court (the judge) is the one that has the final say in whether or not to uphold the petition.  I know what I'm talking about.  And no you cannot just withhold the rent.  You're in violation of your lease.  Sure you can do it and play hardball, but the landlord then can ask the court (petition the court) that you be evicted for being in violation of your lease, regardless of whether or not the repairs have been made.  The legal way to withhold rent is to notify the landlord in writing and put the monies in an account, this way you show that you have the monies but are withholding them due to non-repairs.

Violation of the lease? Exactly the LANDLORD is in violation of the lease. Think....

Withold rent? Of course said tenant is obligated to withhold rent ever heard of tenant rights? 

Still using the wrong terminology btw. 

My goodness, you always are out to make a debate out of everything. It gets annoying after a while. 

Violation of the lease? Exactly the LANDLORD is in violation of the lease. Think....

Withold rent? Of course said tenant is obligated to withhold rent ever heard of tenant rights? 

Still using the wrong terminology btw. 

My goodness, you always are out to make a debate out of everything. It gets annoying after a while. 

"Obligated" to withhold rent? LOL

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/broome/binghamton/evictions.shtml

Yes because according to lawyers well versed in law unlike you, thats what they will counsel their clients to do. Obviously. In practice reality different judges intepret laws in different ways. such as in the botched Zimmerman case where you entertained a black man getting shot.

....for no reason. 

This is off topic btw so we will go there. 

Yes because according to lawyers well versed in law unlike you, thats what they will counsel their clients to do. 

Yes, tenants can do as they please, but don't make it sound like they can withhold their rent as they please without any possible ramifications.  That's certainly not the case.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

and so you know for the record when our lease expired in august 2013 by florida law it automaticlly went on being a month to month lease! also he's trying to hostage take us into signing the new lease, i also forgot to mention he brought us an  illegal 3 day notice which he typed from home no court stamp anything

he also broke the law by saying he's recording us, which  we the other party did not agree too

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/florida-recording-law

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

Edited by BreeddekalbL

and so you know for the record when our lease expired in august 2013 by florida law it automaticlly went on being a month to month lease! also he's trying to hostage take us into signing the new lease, i also forgot to mention he brought us an  illegal 3 day notice which he typed from home no court stamp anything

he also broke the law by saying he's recording us, which  we the other party did not agree too

You got him by the balls exactly my point. Apparently said other person giving feedback doesnt get it.

Yes, tenants can do as they please, but don't make it sound like they can withhold their rent as they please without any possible ramifications.  That's certainly not the case.  

Lets no get into the poor looking for handouts arguement again please at the expense of insulting the intelligence of another member who need support. Your elitist geared ego is secondary to this discussion. Its getting exasperating and annoying. Thank you.

Edited by realizm

Okay, well then as long as you have everything noted and have proof, you should be fine.  If you're on a month to month lease, why don't you just leave and move to another place?? There is nothing holding you there, as your lease expired last year.  You would save yourself a lot of aggravation in the process. It's been about 7 months now... 7 months is enough time to save some money and look for another place.  

Lets no get into the poor looking for handouts arguement again please at the expense of insulting the intelligence of another member who need support. Your elitist geared ego is secondary to this discussion. Its getting exasperating and annoying. Thank you.

LOL... No one brought that up now but you.