JFK Airtrain question

rockdove

It's a direct transfer that isn't free. You will need to pay $5 to get a ticket for AirTrain. (If you have a Pay-Per-Ride Metrocard, you can use that and only that) You might be better off just taking the bus to the airport and then taking the AirTrain from there since it's free. (If there's time for that)

I never rode AirTrain before but it should take around 15-20 mins.

Using Airtrain Jamaica-Howard Beach will need a double payment of a $5 fare ($10 total) because it is a pay to enter and exit system at Jamaica/Howard Beach in order to make inter-airport rides free.

You will have to transfer.

It's a direct transfer that isn't free. You will need to pay $5 to get a ticket for AirTrain. (If you have a Pay-Per-Ride Metrocard, you can use that and only that) You might be better off just taking the bus to the airport and then taking the AirTrain from there since it's free. (If there's time for that)

I never rode AirTrain before but it should take around 15-20 mins.

According to Airtrain website, Airtrain (JFK) takes 12 minutes from either Jamaica or Howard Beach to airports, so 24 minutes total.

According to Airtrain website, Airtrain (JFK) takes 12 minutes from either Jamaica or Howard Beach to airports, so 24 minutes total.
Airtrain is free if you are riding it through the airport,but Like you said It cost $5 if you want to get out of the airport via(A) train.I went railfanning a few years ago on airtrain and when it was time for me to continue railfanning to the (A) My trip was cut short and I ended my day there.Hey I didn`t have $5 but I did get to ride the airtrain:tup:

Using Airtrain Jamaica-Howard Beach will need a double payment of a $5 fare ($10 total) because it is a pay to enter and exit system at Jamaica/Howard Beach in order to make inter-airport rides free.

I do recall reading on the MTA website that the train makes it's terminal stops and goes back to where it came from. Doesn't this require a transfer then?

You might be better off just taking the bus to the airport and then taking the AirTrain from there since it's free. (If there's time for that)

Which bus lets you get on Airtrain for free?

P.S. This is about railfanning, not taking a flight.

Which bus lets you get on Airtrain for free?

P.S. This is about railfanning, not taking a flight.

If you take AirTran from any of the terminals, then it's free. That's why I suggested that taking a bus. (The Q3, M60, B15, etc.) However, you still need the $5 to get out unfortunately. (Which I just learned. :P)

look, unless, you are willing to spend $10, then i suggest take a bus to JFK, hop on, ride to jamaica, don't get out, ride back to JFK, then to howard beach, and then it's your choice where to go from there. that way, at most, you only spend $7 (2 for bus, optional 5 for airtrain). otherwise, you'd be spending 12 dollars. might as well take a trip on the LIRR with that money...

My girlfriend, who some of you know works for DHS, would probably like me to warn anyone fanning at/near major transportation hubs & airports to make sure you aren't sneaking around looking suspicious (be obvious about whatever you're doing), & if anyone in uniform/with badge etc asks you to please leave the airport if you don't have a ticket or meeting someone etc just listen. She couldn't give me details about this latest whatever it is, which tells me it's pretty serious Thanks!

- A

• 4 months later...
speaking of AirTrain, whats the name of the model that are used for AirTrain JFK?

Bombardier made the entire AirTrain system, cars, tracks, and all.

The cars are "Mark II", per the Tracks of the NYC Subway book.

B15 JFK Branch- Very long ride- I try to count all B15 JFK bus stops, but due to busy route, I fallen asleep in mid-ride.

Q3- Local, but still nice ride.

Q10 has 3 branches. (C) Conduit Av & (L) Limited leaves on Kew Garden Rd side at Kew Garden Subway. (R) Rockaway Blvd supplementa service leaves on Queens Blvd side.

Q10 stops on eastside of Terminal 4 while B15/Q3 stops on west side of same terminal.

If you take AirTran from any of the terminals, then it's free. That's why I suggested that taking a bus. (The Q3, M60, B15, etc.) However, you still need the $5 to get out unfortunately. (Which I just learned. :()

Don't you mean Q10 instead of M60?

Forest Glen, I have seen tourist taking pic/video on Airtrain JFK, and he never got caught in act.

Even I did not caught.

At LGA Airport, when I took Airport Shuttle close up, PANY&NJ B/O did not say anything, even the Employee Shuttle.

Is it possible to take the JFK airtrain to connect from the Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave subway station to the Howard Beach-JFK Airport (A) station? Is it a direct ride or how would this work? Also, about how long would this trip take?

It might be possible to enter AirTrain at Jamaica (Sutphin Boulevard/Archer Avenue (E)(J)(Z) LIRR), ride to Federal Circle, transfer to a Howard Beach-JFK AirTrain and exit at Howard Beach-JFK (A) but if possible would cost $5.00 to enter at Jamaica and $5.00 to exit at Howard Beach-JFK.

With your subway ride, total fare would be $14.50.

• 11 months later...

I'm considering using AirTrain to commute from Jamaica to Rockaway Park, would probably start my commute around 5-5:30 am and would definitely purchase the $40 unlimited AirTrain card. Is there a way to find out the schedule so that I could time the trains right? What's the running time from Jamaica to Federal Circle and from Federal Circle to Howard Beach?

If this doesn't work, then I would stick to the Q8/Q112 buses (but the ride home sux bigtime)...or do what I do now and that's drive to Broad Channel and take the (S).

I'm considering using AirTrain to commute from Jamaica to Rockaway Park, would probably start my commute around 5-5:30 am and would definitely purchase the $40 unlimited AirTrain card. Is there a way to find out the schedule so that I could time the trains right? What's the running time from Jamaica to Federal Circle and from Federal Circle to Howard Beach?

If this doesn't work, then I would stick to the Q8/Q112 buses (but the ride home sux bigtime)...or do what I do now and that's drive to Broad Channel and take the (S).

First of all due to the security around JFK, TSA and others on occasion due 'spot checks' so the airtrain is mainly designed only for airport employees and JFK air travelers. I suggest maybe using it if you really 'late' on occasion and not all the time.

Second save the $40 and go this way if you traveling between Rock Park and Jamaica. I suggest taking the Q8/112 and transfer to the (Q53)or a much quicker and cheaper way take the Far Rock-bound (A) to Broad Channel for the Rockaway Park (S).

Anyhow here the link for info to the airtrain if you intrestred.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.htmltrain.

First of all due to the security around JFK, TSA and others on occasion due 'spot checks' so the airtrain is mainly designed only for airport employees and JFK air travelers. I suggest maybe using it if you really 'late' on occasion and not all the time.

Second save the $40 and go this way if you traveling between Rock Park and Jamaica. I suggest taking the Q8/112 and transfer to the (Q53)or a much quicker and cheaper way take the Far Rock-bound (A) to Broad Channel for the Rockaway Park (S).

Anyhow here the link for info to the airtrain if you intrestred.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.htmltrain.

Fortunately I won't have to worry about the "spot checks" since I'll be in full TA uniform when I commute.

And I have absolutely no problem paying the $40 for the month for a few reasons:

• It might be a faster option

• The Q8/Q112 really gets dragged down for the return commute home by traffic and the Q53 during the summer is crowded beyond belief with rowdy beachgoers. When it gets colder and the crowds go away, the Q53 home would be the way to go.

• Some of the morning bus times just miss. For example, the Q112 arrives at Rockaway Blvd station arrives at 6:24 am. What time does the (A) leave? Why 6:23 of course.

My ideal commute would be the (J) to the Q53, but that only works if my job starts later than 6:30 am.

Obviously the car to Broad Channel then the (S) to Rockaway Park is the fastest option at only 30 minutes, but that would cost me roughly $115 per month for premium gas plus wear and tear. I don't mind doubling it to an hour and only paying $40 if the AirTrain would work (another bonus with the AirTrain: no beach crowds nor school kids).

BTW, thanks for the link. Too bad they don't have a schedule online.

That would be unnecessary with a $40 AirTrain unlimited card, plus it would cost me quite a bit of extra time.

Then I guess you'll have to try the AirTrain a couple of times paying the $10 each way, see when the train arrives, and then consider buying the monthly and commuting.

That's got to be the best monthly around: 3 days of commuting and you'll already save!

The other 'cheap' way to fantrip on the Airtrain...

Take subway and Q10 transfer at Kew Gardens to JFK. $2.25 with Metrocard.

Ride the Airtrain from JFK to Howard Beach, back to Federal circle or JFK, then to Jamaica and back to JFK. As long as you don't leave the fare control zone at Howard Beach or Jamaica terminals, the ride is free.

Then Q10 to Kew Gardens and back on subway. $2.25.

You can also use alternate buses and subway combos to and from JFK as well.

The ride above the Van Wyck is really scenic, as you tower over the mostly low rise homes and buildings enroute. And it's a pleasure to look down at the usual bumper to bumper traffic below. I did this when the line was new, and spent a whole day enjoying riding around the system, as well as stopping over and touring each of the different airline terminals.

FYI: The AIRTRAIN stop at Lefferts Blvd (in the middle of the long term parking lot) is a FREE stop to get on and off.

Many people walk in on the bridge over the Belt highway and use the AIRTRAIN into the airport for free.

Also, if you are willing to walk a short distance (under a mile) to the Aquaduct "A" train stop and avoid the $5 fee at the Howard Beach train station to get in the MTA subway.

P.S. The B15 bus line stop at the Lefferts Blvd. station but runs express into Brooklyn (No stops in Queens or at the Aquaduct "A" subway staion that is run by).

Yeah...prior to the Airtrain, the Port Authority provided free buses to the Howard Beach subway station on the long term parking lot side. I suppose if they still offered free service to Howard Beach on the Airtrain, very few folks would pay $5.00 to ride to the Jamaica terminal.

Archived