MTA Penn Station Access

wifflect

Since as far back as 1999, the MTA has issued press releases discussing possible service on the Old NY, NH, and Hartford Harlem line over the Hell's Gate Bridge to Penn Station. This concept has been studied to death. The response is always the same; when the LIRR East Side Access to GCT is finished, enough capacity will be freed up to allow for new MTA servicce to Penn station.

Besides giving New Haven Line commuters direct access to the West Side, new serivce could be offered to Co-Op City, Parkchester and the Hunts Point areas of the Bronx, thus relieving some of the overcrowding on the Number 6 Subway line in the Bronx as well as the Lexington Avenue line around GCT.

Cetainly, the Penn Station schedulilng issues can be resolved to allow for a few daily trains to run on the underutililzed Harlem Division. Without spending vast sums on new Infrastructure, exisitng ROW's can be upgrqaded to meet their potential.

ARC has to be finished too, to bring enough (NJT) trains out of the empire connected tracks on the ladder to allow for this.

- A

And when LIRR gets to Grand Centrel service will happen as the New M8 cars can run into Penn station as their 3rd rail shoes will work with both LIRR and MNCR 3rd rails. But long term plans are for MNCR to run into Penn Station 1st for the New Haven line and later the Hudson line via the route that Amtrak now uses on the Hudson line to access Penn Station. I dont know what they plan on running on the Hudson line but thats way down the road from now

Since as far back as 1999, the MTA has issued press releases discussing possible service on the Old NY, NH, and Hartford Harlem line over the Hell's Gate Bridge to Penn Station. This concept has been studied to death. The response is always the same; when the LIRR East Side Access to GCT is finished, enough capacity will be freed up to allow for new MTA servicce to Penn station.

Besides giving New Haven Line commuters direct access to the West Side, new serivce could be offered to Co-Op City, Parkchester and the Hunts Point areas of the Bronx, thus relieving some of the overcrowding on the Number 6 Subway line in the Bronx as well as the Lexington Avenue line around GCT.

Cetainly, the Penn Station schedulilng issues can be resolved to allow for a few daily trains to run on the underutililzed Harlem Division. Without spending vast sums on new Infrastructure, exisitng ROW's can be upgrqaded to meet their potential.

Service is suppost to happen after 2015 when LIRR serves GCT and there will be 3 bronx stations on the line. Also the current MU fleet can not run on that line as the voltages are different

I just realized that with this weird idea to move the station to the post office out from under MSG and 2 penn plaza, the 7th ave line (1)(2)(3) could be as far away as 2 whole long blocks if you got off the west end of the train, 8th ave (A)(C)(E) still a full block away. You gotta be kidding me. The whole area there was planned specifically to integrate LIRR, PRR, IND and IRT into one big station. At least the ARC portion is going to remain between 7th and 8th ave!

- A

• 2 weeks later...
Service is suppost to happen after 2015 when LIRR serves GCT and there will be 3 bronx stations on the line. Also the current MU fleet can not run on that line as the voltages are different

I read somewhere in a article,don't remember where exactly,that the railroads were going to upgrade it's voltage from it's current voltage

Can anyone confirm this rumor as fact or fiction?

The M8 will also run on the Halrem Line when the ESA and ARC is finished so that MNRR can run a train from Croton to about 52nd street on 3rd rail then overhead the rest of the way.

Wow. A Harlem Line train from Croton that encounters catenary along the way. MNR is planning some mad service changes yo.

Clarification: yes, I know, Croton Falls is on the Harlem Line. However one cannot turn a train there unless they wrong-railed back to GOLD at Goldens Bridge. I doubt MNR would want to do that unless it was a dire emergency and absolutely required that Croton Falls be the last stop.

The M8 will also run on the Halrem Line when the ESA and ARC is finished so that MNRR can run a train from Croton to about 52nd street on 3rd rail then overhead the rest of the way.

Don't be so quick to assume that. The only time I know of when that New Haven Line trains were ever on Harlem/Hudson Line tracks was during a snow emergency.

All Penn Station service plans from the NH division are contingent upon Amtrak extending LIRR-type third rail to GATE interlocking.

All PSNY service plans from Hudson/Harlem division are contingent upon an electrification by third rail of the Empire Connection. PSNY's catenary system is 12.5Kv/25Hz, which the M8's can't operate on. Hence, they decided to use third rail from the switchover from 12.5Kv/60Hz at GATE to NYP. And, since Amtrak doesn't use third rail on its territory, I highly doubt they would electrify the Empire Connection unless MNR bought it.

• 6 months later...
All Penn Station service plans from the NH division are contingent upon Amtrak extending LIRR-type third rail to GATE interlocking.

Really? I figured that the M8's would just use catenary power into Penn, or that if the MNRR was that desperate, they could modify some retired M2's for service into Penn station using Catenary...

I just realized that with this weird idea to move the station to the post office out from under MSG and 2 penn plaza, the 7th ave line (1)(2)(3) could be as far away as 2 whole long blocks if you got off the west end of the train, 8th ave (A)(C)(E) still a full block away. You gotta be kidding me. The whole area there was planned specifically to integrate LIRR, PRR, IND and IRT into one big station. At least the ARC portion is going to remain between 7th and 8th ave!

- A

Moynihan proper will be at the Farley Post Office. IIRC, they intend to have a subterrean station extending from 8th to 6th for the NJT, therefore allowing connections to the various subway lines. Wouldn't this kind of make Moynihan redundant?

How about rerouting some Amtrak trains that terminate at NY to Grand Central? Like the Empire or the Maple Leaf?

That would work for NY to Boston trains. But you have to acknowledge that people from Philly and DC would want to get to Boston by rail. And NYP allows for it through the tunnels and HGB.

^Yes, so Acela and NEC and other services should still stop at Penn.

But Maple Leaf and Adirondack should terminate at Grand Central. I think Penn is pretty congested at this point. Amtrak, LIRR, NJT, MN if they choose to reroute some to Penn.

^Yes, so Acela and NEC and other services should still stop at Penn.

But Maple Leaf and Adirondack should terminate at Grand Central. I think Penn is pretty congested at this point. Amtrak, LIRR, NJT, MN if they choose to reroute some to Penn.

That would cost Amtrak more in cost

Amtrak refurbished the empire connection and reworked it, there is no need at all for any empire or other trains to terminate at GCT. Maybe in the NYC days, but not anymore. GCT is now a commuter station.

- A

And when LIRR gets to Grand Centrel service will happen as the New M8 cars can run into Penn station as their 3rd rail shoes will work with both LIRR and MNCR 3rd rails.

If the M8s run into penn they will utilize Amtrak's catenary system, not the third rail my friend. ;)

Archived