Just a Thought: Q69 to LaGuardia Airport?

Pablo M 201

I dunno if this has been discussed before, so I apologize if so.

I was looking at the Queens bus map and noticed how fairly close the Q69 comes to LaGuardia Airport. So what I was thinking, to alleviate crowding on the M60 a bit for those that take it to get to the (N) & (W) at Astoria Blvd, how about extending the Q69 to LaGuardia Airport and promote the service as an alternate route to get to the (N) & (W) trains, connecting in Astoria at Ditmars Blvd.

Does LaGuardia really need six bus lines serving it? Many of the people riding the M60 take it directly into the city. Extending the Q69 would only inflate operating costs for a minimal gain in passenger load.

I dunno if this has been discussed before, so I apologize if so.

I was looking at the Queens bus map and noticed how fairly close the Q69 comes to LaGuardia Airport. So what I was thinking, to alleviate crowding on the M60 a bit for those that take it to get to the (N) & (W) at Astoria Blvd, how about extending the Q69 to LaGuardia Airport and promote the service as an alternate route to get to the (N) & (W) trains, connecting in Astoria at Ditmars Blvd.

It was my idea along with Q23.

Maybe, Q69 and Q23 should provide LGA upon request way you request Q35 to stop at Flloyd Bennet Field or Q21/Q53 to stop at Jamaica Bay Wildlife.

Zman's got a point... virtually no one that embarks upon the M60 inside LGA, gets off @ a stop somewhere along Astoria (blvd)....

And as far as heading towards LGA, I don't think ppl. would want to ride an extra stop to Ditmars Blvd, to catch a bus that heads to the Airport, that runs @ higher headways than the M60 anyway....

If anything, I think the Q69 should be extended to Ditmars Blvd (just short of the traffic circle around 23rd & ditmars), so those residents can have a 1 seat ride to the N/W lines (and a connection w/ the Q23)..... b/c that terminal on 82nd doesn't really benefit anyone... you see more people walking along Astoria blvd or 23rd av after they get off that last stop of the 69.....

Speaking of which, Yuki mentioned the Q23.... I don't think the Q23 nor the Q69 should enter the airport at all....

Maybe, Q69 and Q23 should provide LGA upon request way you request Q35 to stop at Flloyd Bennet Field or Q21/Q53 to stop at Jamaica Bay Wildlife.

The stops on the Q21, 35 and 53 are along the route so all you have to do is sound the bell. The Q23/69 to LGA would be off the route. Very big difference.

The problems with a Q23/69 request-a-stop plan are that:

1) It would completely destroy the line's schedule

2) The driver's break would be lost due to the requested extension, increasing the possibility of driver fatigue and the possibility of an accident. Plus it would violate the contract.

The stops on the Q21, 35 and 53 are along the route so all you have to do is sound the bell. The Q23/69 to LGA would be off the route. Very big difference.

The problems with a Q23/69 request-a-stop plan are that:

1) It would completely destroy the line's schedule

2) The driver's break would be lost due to the requested extension, increasing the possibility of driver fatigue and the possibility of an accident. Plus it would violate the contract.

Last time, when I was at Jamaica Bay Wildlife stop on October 11th, when my friend and I were trying to go to Noel Rd to catch (A)(S) Bus, almost crowded Q21 did not stop even I flag for it at bus stop, but empty Q21 did.

Last time, when I was at Jamaica Bay Wildlife stop on October 11th, when my friend and I were trying to go to Noel Rd to catch (A)(S) Bus, almost crowded Q21 did not stop even I flag for it at bus stop, but empty Q21 did.

You're not complaing about that, right?

ok, but how long was the wait between buses?

About 20 minutes. Q21 and Q53 has been always late with huge gap.

I wanted to see what your answer was b/c that's exactly what I was trying to figure out... where was the Q53 in all this....

20 min waits is pretty much the norm. for that route (Q21)... so if it's anything that was late, it was a 53...

(depending on how late it was while y'all were out there waiting, of course)

I'm still trying to picture an almost crowded Q21 heading towards the Rockaways, but that's neither here nor there....

Still sucks that that first Q21 didn't stop for you & said friend.... that's a helpless feeling when the bus you're waiting for just whizzes past you for w/e the reason....

20 minutes would be a normal delay for the Q53 since it runs every 10 minutes. If a bus gets delayed for any reason, the next one is 10 minutes later. He may have just missed the bus and then waited the whole 20 minutes. The Q69 to LGA wouldn't work for anything. I don't know the Q23 would benefit anyone either.

20 minutes would be a normal delay for the Q53 since it runs every 10 minutes. If a bus gets delayed for any reason, the next one is 10 minutes later. He may have just missed the bus and then waited the whole 20 minutes.

I'm rereading this, and I'm not quite following you....

if a route had 10 min. headways, ideally that would mean a bus is set to arrive at a stop every 10 mins..... if Yuki missed one Q53, the next run should be 10 mins. away, not 20...

going by that logic, there would be two Q53's arriving at the same stop Yuki was waitin at, around the same time; maybe w/i 2 or 3 mins of each other or w/e....

when a bus is late, it doesn't necessarily mean that the # of minutes it's late is equal to the headways of the route.... it could be less (than 10 mins. late), it could be greater (than 10 mins. late)...

Right, if he missed one and the next one is late by 10 mins then there would be two in 20 mins if of course a bus didn't break down. No it doesn't mean that the it will be late 10 mins but chances are so, everytime I've taken the Q53 that's been the case. Two show up at the same or one crush loaded. If it's only a few minutes late then he probably wasn't waiting 20 mins, unless one was early and that happens as well.

Actually at 82d Street and Astoria Boulevard, one can transfer from the Q69 to the Q33 (toward Roosevelt Avenue). The Q33 toward La Guardia CTB turns briefly on Astoria from 83d Street, one block east.

Since the Q33 serves La Guardia, maybe this is why the Q69 terminates at 82d Street and Astoria Boulevard.

Actually at 82d Street and Astoria Boulevard, one can transfer from the Q69 to the Q33 (toward Roosevelt Avenue). The Q33 toward La Guardia CTB turns briefly on Astoria from 83d Street, one block east.

Since the Q33 serves La Guardia, maybe this is why the Q69 terminates at 82d Street and Astoria Boulevard.

I know what you're saying.... but in actuality, the opposite tends to happen more often (that is ppl. getting off 69's & xferring to 33's heading towards Roosevelt av)....

Ok, that's not cool. The driver never should have passed you unless he was crushloaded.

I wanted to see what your answer was b/c that's exactly what I was trying to figure out... where was the Q53 in all this....

20 min waits is pretty much the norm. for that route (Q21)... so if it's anything that was late, it was a 53...

(depending on how late it was while y'all were out there waiting, of course)

I'm still trying to picture an almost crowded Q21 heading towards the Rockaways, but that's neither here nor there....

Still sucks that that first Q21 didn't stop for you & said friend.... that's a helpless feeling when the bus you're waiting for just whizzes past you for w/e the reason....

20 minutes would be a normal delay for the Q53 since it runs every 10 minutes. If a bus gets delayed for any reason, the next one is 10 minutes later. He may have just missed the bus and then waited the whole 20 minutes. The Q69 to LGA wouldn't work for anything. I don't know the Q23 would benefit anyone either.

I remember long ago in very cold weather, I waited for Ozone Park-bound Q21 or Woodside-bound Q53 LTD at JBWR for felt like 1 hour wait, but it was actually 20-25 minutes.

• 1 year later...

I would support the Q23 into LGA more than the Q69. I think the Q69 going into LGA would probably duplicate the M60 too much, just like the Q37 going into JFK would largely duplicate the Q10. On the other hand, the Q23 going into LGA would only tangentially duplicate the Q48 & Q72.

However, in the event both lines are extended into LGA, I would recommend that the Q23 serve only the Central Terminals while the Q69 serve only the Marine Air Terminal.

The MTA was on the verge of sending the Q23 into LGA proper a few years ago until the budget crisis hit. I can only hope that this idea has not been permanently tabled.

Archived