European Traffic Light

NX Express

this past friday, the traffic light on church & e 43rd was effed up... church av side was blinking red all day, and the 43rd st side was blinking yellow all day.....

If you have the magic key, you can make any traffic signal do that. All you need to do is open the green box that controls the intersection. A cop friend of mine used to do that in the early 90's to bang out people for broken tail lights.

While on the subject of traffic signals, I'd thought I'd share this with all of you:

And I swear on my life that this was not photoshopped, it was taken a few years ago from my old neighborhood on the UES.

89th-Upsidedown.jpg

Does that mean cross the street while doing a handstand/walking on your hands? What if someone has a walker or cane? I would love to see them walk upside down with their mobility helping instruments....:):P:P............

As for those traffic lights, I have seen them in NYC, and even here in Yonkers, the light at Ashburton and St. Joseph's Ave. would do that. Those are sorta-malfunctioned traffic lights. NYS would never have those lights here, as we have no fault insurance. Rates would sky rocket, with people jumping the light, cause a light says so, and the other driver who is about to get a red light, is at the point of no return to stop, without stopping in the intersection. That is an accident waiting to happen. When a light does that here in NYS, you wait for a few seconds to see if the light goes to green. Usually it does. If it doesn't, then you proceed when it is safe to do so. When the one here in YO did that, it went back to red, and the light for the cross traffic stayed red. In NYC I have seen them do this, sometimes they go green, sometimes they go red, them immediately to green. It is a malfunctioned or malfunctioning traffic light. Moisture may have gotten in it, and the electrical components may have been damaged. As for those flashing lights, here at late night hours (usually overnight), at some non busy intersections, they would make normally good working traffic lights, flash instead. Flashing yellow, you slow down and proceed with caution, red means you stop and proceed when it is safe to do so........

Does that mean cross the street while doing a handstand/walking on your hands? What if someone has a walker or cane? I would love to see them walk upside down with their mobility helping instruments....:P:P:p............

Lol! And speaking of those signs, I still see a few signs where the walk 'person' and the don't walk 'hand' are both on at the same time. So far there are newer ones where they are lit up on separate displays than on the same one [ie: divided] and at least don't have this problem.

Lol! And speaking of those signs, I still see a few signs where the walk 'person' and the don't walk 'hand' are both on at the same time. So far there are newer ones where they are lit up on separate displays than on the same one [ie: divided] and at least don't have this problem.

There probably not grounded correctly or its cause of the cold weather.

Lol! And speaking of those signs, I still see a few signs where the walk 'person' and the don't walk 'hand' are both on at the same time...

You mean this (took this in september)...

fail.jpg

They're all over the city and might be an electrical problem although I've seen more pop up in the winter. On a single day I can count up to 25 different places that have this.

• 3 years later...

fail.jpg

They're all over the city and might be an electrical problem although I've seen more pop up in the winter. On a single day I can count up to 25 different places that have this.

Many L.E.D. module inserts, such as this one, for example, throughout the five boroughs date back to the early 2000s.

Beginning in 2000, New York City's D.O.T. first installed them, and they were what ultimately replaced "DONT WALK" and "WALK."

The entire conversion was completed in 2004 or so. 

This particular L.E.D. module insert (as shown in your picture) was manufactured by CooperLED/Atlite Inc. It typically has a lifespan of at least eight years. After that, it begins to fail. Faulty wiring (with regards to the neutral wire) was another disadvantage. CooperLED/Atlite Inc. discontinued to manufacture its model for the city in 2005 or so. Since then, different types of L.E.D. module inserts have been introduced from mainly General Electric and Dialight. These are what typically replace the original ones.

Why revive a 3 year old thread? 

I'm a new member here, and I recently browsed, and I came across this rather interesting discussion (even though it is old). I wanted to contribute what I knew about these pedestrian signals in the city of New York, since I have an interest in signal equipment from there. You could read my post here.

This is rather interesting, I have seen a few traffic light glitches myself. It went from Green - Amber + Green - Red. Ive also seen one just go from Green - red + green - red (it was fixed shortly after). (Better get this post in before the thread gets its lock)

Oh, and this: 

I don't think you can speak of european traffic lights because there is a lot of difference between the different european countries.

In France, it is pretty simple.

Green

Orange

Red

Green

There is no combination of the Orange and Red.

Right to turn in the right while red: Blinking Orange arrow to the right.

Some traffic lights have blinking Orange instead if the Green, it means that drivers can run but should be cautious.

Pedestrian lights are basic, Green and Red.

Archived