Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

I've actually stopped taking the ferry as often as I used to though because of how unpredictable it can be especially if you're trying to be somewhere on-time. The ferry is always running late these days, and then you have the buses that don't show up on-time and those that do show up, get to the ferry at like 12:59pm for example and you have to run like hell for the ferry. Lately I've just been using the S53, and even though it can take a little longer sometimes, it's very reliable and you don't have to deal with the stress over whether you're going to make the ferry.

That's why after school, I take the S79 to Brooklyn. I don't mind the hour-long ride because it's soothing for one, and I don't have to worry about killing myself because I have to run for a boat and I may have just missed it.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why after school, I take the S79 to Brooklyn. I don't mind the hour-long ride because it's soothing for one, and I don't have to worry about killing myself because I have to run for a boat and I may have just missed it.

I do the same thing coming from Manhattan.

I do the same thing coming from Manhattan.

For me, I shave off about 15 minutes getting home if I take the S79 to the (R) instead of the ferry. If I take the X10, I save a good 20 minutes instead of taking the ferry (traffic permitting, of course).

Here's even more:

S44 Late Night service? Since none of the buses that go by the mall operate overnight

X1 Super Express Service during ruch hours? Since it has the highest ridership of all SI Express buses. To Manhattan:

Stops at Eltingville SIR station, then New Dorp Lane, then Fingerboard Rd then regular stops in Manhattan.

To Staten Island:

Stops at 42, 34, 23, 14, Canal, Bowling Green then regular Staten Island Stops

X17- Maybe Sunday Service? (there might not be a lot of ridership but it's suggestion)

The x6 & x7 act as Super Expresses for the x1. The x6 and x7 turn onto Houston and moves onto the west side highway, goes to the tunnel thereon. The x4 is the downtown version of the x1 which also sees a significant amount of ridership.

I noticed after being Downtown for quite a lot of time, I think there should be some extra x8, x15 and x19 trips. The x1 is horrendously crowded and from what I noticed, there would be an x1 behind and x1 behind an x1. Any of the express routes that goes to Eltingville Transit Center should have more trips in my opinion because Eltingville Transit Center is a heavily used area for transfers for Local & Express buses, even in the late hours at night.

I hope Charleston opens real soon because these express buses are dropping like flies, maintenance wise, and its a real shame because of the overcrowding at Yukon & Castleton depots...

S44 PM rush hour service from St. George Ferry Terminal terminates at Richmond/Forest Avs which means that S44 Limited buses would make limited stops between those avenues.

This I agree with 100%. The S44 itself is a long route to the Mall, making short-turn trips would keep up with the demand during the PM rush. There is always a line and a half for the S44 at the ferry terminal, plus its a connection to the S89, which some riders use to get to their destination during the AM and PM.

Headways reduced from 15 to 12 minutes from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM, weekdays. This will reduce waiting time since the S44 does get crowded very fast at the mall.

I would say from 1:00PM to 6:30PM.

S74 Limited- New weekday AM limited stop service to St. George Ferry. This reduces overcrowding on the S74. Since I am a daily rider of this route, it would help commuters reach the ferry faster.

I couldnt agree more! The S74 is horrendously long in the AM and PM. It would be great to see a limited during the AM and PM, I once took the S74 on Orion V 6288 from Eltingville Transit Center and it took me an hour and 10 minutes to get to the ferry terminal. A Limited is definitely needed!

Also, routes that goes to Staten Island Mall sees alot of ridership. I honestly think there should be a more flexible schedule because sometimes the wait is just painful, especially in the cold. Other than the S79 that has a pretty decent schedule. The S61 should have a better schedule because after 5-6PM, it just gets bad.

Any ideas for the S60? I've never seen it before, but I know it's the lowest-ridership route in the NYCT Bus system.

The S60 should really be merged with another bus route. If anything, have some rush hour S53 service veer off course and head to Grymes Hill. Besides, the route only runs a mere two buses per hour, and for one hour during the rush, it runs three buses an hour. If anything, the St. John's University students are not even going directly to the college based on how the route is; they're going first to Renwick Avenue before heading to Grymes Hill. My guess the only reason the S60 even exists is to provide service between Victory Boulevard and Clove road and the University, but if a bus rider were to take the S62 to Theresa Place and Victory Boulevard and walk to the college, the walk would take an estimated 10 minutes at most, whereas the ride to the college takes roughly 15 minutes. (I checked the schedule and calculated my given time based on unfair traffic.)

The x6 & x7 act as Super Expresses for the x1. The x6 and x7 turn onto Houston and moves onto the west side highway, goes to the tunnel thereon. The x4 is the downtown version of the x1 which also sees a significant amount of ridership.

I noticed after being Downtown for quite a lot of time, I think there should be some extra x8, x15 and x19 trips. The x1 is horrendously crowded and from what I noticed, there would be an x1 behind and x1 behind an x1. Any of the express routes that goes to Eltingville Transit Center should have more trips in my opinion because Eltingville Transit Center is a heavily used area for transfers for Local & Express buses, even in the late hours at night.

I hope Charleston opens real soon because these express buses are dropping like flies, maintenance wise, and its a real shame because of the overcrowding at Yukon & Castleton depots...

This I agree with 100%. The S44 itself is a long route to the Mall, making short-turn trips would keep up with the demand during the PM rush. There is always a line and a half for the S44 at the ferry terminal, plus its a connection to the S89, which some riders use to get to their destination during the AM and PM.

I would say from 1:00PM to 6:30PM.

I couldnt agree more! The S74 is horrendously long in the AM and PM. It would be great to see a limited during the AM and PM, I once took the S74 on Orion V 6288 from Eltingville Transit Center and it took me an hour and 10 minutes to get to the ferry terminal. A Limited is definitely needed!

Also, routes that goes to Staten Island Mall sees alot of ridership. I honestly think there should be a more flexible schedule because sometimes the wait is just painful, especially in the cold. Other than the S79 that has a pretty decent schedule. The S61 should have a better schedule because after 5-6PM, it just gets bad.

You are right about the S61. What's weird is that after 5:30PM, it runs every half-hour, but on Sundays it runs 30 minutes after 6:30PM :confused:

Any ideas for the S60? I've never seen it before, but I know it's the lowest-ridership route in the NYCT Bus system.

Not much you can do with the route itself...

it has no (what's the word), unique ridership... what I mean by that is, people that use that route, are coming off other routes along victory blvd, or the S53/93....

I dunno, maybe send it down to (end it at) Hylan blvd, over there by the deli... in the process, it can serve the SIR @ Grasmere... Just about the only thing that would accomplish though, is the stealing of some riders off the 53 while in SI...

Most of the riders on the S53 (heading NB) are already coming from Brooklyn, so I don't know what good extending the route in that direction would do....

No sense in sending it in either direction along Victory either....

But I don't think the S60 should be eliminated outright, as it provides service up in the hills that no other route does.... Whether it should end up being a short turn, or branch, of another route on SI, I can't say....

The S60 should really be merged with another bus route. If anything, have some rush hour S53 service veer off course and head to Grymes Hill. Besides, the route only runs a mere two buses per hour, and for one hour during the rush, it runs three buses an hour. If anything, the St. John's University students are not even going directly to the college based on how the route is; they're going first to Renwick Avenue before heading to Grymes Hill. My guess the only reason the S60 even exists is to provide service between Victory Boulevard and Clove road and the University, but if a bus rider were to take the S62 to Theresa Place and Victory Boulevard and walk to the college, the walk would take an estimated 10 minutes at most, whereas the ride to the college takes roughly 15 minutes. (I checked the schedule and calculated my given time based on unfair traffic.)

No, you going to add extra time on the S53 and it s53 routes have a lot of turns already. Unless you want the s53 from Bay Ridge to Grymes Hill as another branch, that would makes sense.

They should just extend the s60 northern portion to St George Ferry Terminal and kill the St John University and Wagner College taxpayer $ shuttle bus. BTW, its 1 bus on the s60 most of the time. 2 buses would be at most when they change buses.

Off topic for second but related to the S60. B35 via Church to a point on another dicussion on the buses is right that the doomesday cuts is political. Guys i dont remember but is the S60 on the 2010 doomesday cuts? And IRG i agree the S60 should be a rush hour route and merge it with either the S53 or even the S67. Or IMO, have St John's University pay for 'charter'/lease' a private bus company to operate the shuttle bus ie coach usa, etc?

The S53 that serve St John's/Wagner Colleges would end at Victory Blvd/Clove Road as 'short trips.' This would give S53 riders during rush hours only between Victory Blvd and Bay Ridge buses every 6-8 minutes rush hours.

On all night service to SI Mall. While i agree with S78, that the SI Mall/Engltville area should have 24/7 service i think the S79 should be the 24/7 line with hourly service overnights. While the S44 when the recession is over should be the north shore bus with all night service and should be extended to the Richmond Ave/Arthur KILL TC at all times.

Just my takes.

I'm going to have to disagree with anyone's plans for the S60. That's a route that is better off left alone and not merged with any other. For those that haven't seen the route it takes, it travels up to one of the highest points on Staten Island, to the point where you're looking down at the top of the Verrazono Bridge.

And the S60 was never listed on any doomsday cut so far.

^ s60 was in the doomsday buget cuts, they were going to cut on weekends which it makes sense since there is barley any riders on weekends.

But I have to disagree, s60 should be exteneded north to St George Ferry and kill the taxpayer St John and Wagner college shuttle.

Something just hit me: why not send some non-rush hour (except late night) S53 buses to Grymes Hill before resuming its regular route? Southbound S53 buses can veer off course by turning on Victory Boulevard, serving St. Johns University and Wagner College under 20 minute headways, and northbound buses will veer off course at Howard Avenue and Clove Road (every 20 minutes, a bus leaving either terminal will serve Grymes Hiil, but other buses will not). During rush hours, the S93 will serve Grymes Hill instead of the S53, except southbound buses will continue along Victory Boulevard, then turning onto a street that will serve Grymes Hill, and then resume its normal route along Clove Road, and vice versa for Willowbrook Service.

I created my implementation under Google Maps. Here's the link.

Please give your feedback.

I have to say, this is a new one... sending S53's up the hill, en route to Pt. Richmond part time.... thought about it, and I don't really think S53 service should be marred like that (even if it is a certain # of trips).... You'll just have ppl. from Brooklyn lining up along 4th av waiting for 53's that don't serve Grymes Hill (meaning, the S53's that wouldn't serve the hill would be that much more crowded)..... may as well keep the 1 or 2 buses that operate the S60, and let that loop up & down the hill throughout the day....

btw, nice map you created btw... (I) gotta learn how to use that function one of these days....

I haven't thought much about this, but I'll throw it out there.... This idea's been floating around for quite some time now....

Do any of you think there's a need for a bus route that travels from St. George's Ferry, to Brooklyn?

* If you think such a route should exist, where in Brooklyn would you send it?

and how would you route it ?

* If you think such a route should not exist, tell us how preposterous you think such an idea is....

Discuss.

I haven't thought much about this, but I'll throw it out there.... This idea's been floating around for quite some time now....

Do any of you think there's a need for a bus route that travels from St. George's Ferry, to Brooklyn?

* If you think such a route should exist, where in Brooklyn would you send it?

and how would you route it ?

* If you think such a route should not exist, tell us how preposterous you think such an idea is....

Discuss.

I had to think about this for a while, but I finally came to my senses and I'd have to say that a rush hour bi-directional variant of the S81 would seem like the best thing if such a route were to exist. The S81 would veer off course at Fort Wadsworth and head over the bridge and serve the 86th Street Station like the rest of the other Brooklyn-Staten Island buses do.

I have to say, this is a new one... sending S53's up the hill, en route to Pt. Richmond part time.... thought about it, and I don't really think S53 service should be marred like that (even if it is a certain # of trips).... You'll just have ppl. from Brooklyn lining up along 4th av waiting for 53's that don't serve Grymes Hill (meaning, the S53's that wouldn't serve the hill would be that much more crowded)..... may as well keep the 1 or 2 buses that operate the S60, and let that loop up & down the hill throughout the day....

btw, nice map you created btw... (I) gotta learn how to use that function one of these days....

Anytime, thanks for the feedback.

I had to think about this for a while, but I finally came to my senses and I'd have to say that a rush hour bi-directional variant of the S81 would seem like the best thing if such a route were to exist. The S81 would veer off course at Fort Wadsworth and head over the bridge and serve the 86th Street Station like the rest of the other Brooklyn-Staten Island buses do.

Agreed. Most people from Brooklyn-SI or vice versa from years railfanning the S53/78 and years earlier the S7, are not going to the Ferry. Quite a number people mostlt go to either the College of SI, Port Richmond, the New Drop Shopping Center on Hylan and of course the SI Mall. The only place near St George right now, i seen a high riders from the S53/79 transfer to is to the S51/52 to go to Bayley Seton Hosptial.

I also read online in the SI Advance paper over past year, that The SI Boro President office is trying to create/buliding of new office spaces along Bay St and the St George's/Stapleton area similar to Downtown Brooklyn and Metrotech and thus more service along the S51, 52 and 76. So in short i could see a rush hour only line connecting it to Bay Ridge. That why i agree with IGR. reactions?

Off topic for second but related to the S60. B35 via Church to a point on another dicussion on the buses is right that the doomesday cuts is political. Guys i dont remember but is the S60 on the 2010 doomesday cuts? And IRG i agree the S60 should be a rush hour route and merge it with either the S53 or even the S67. Or IMO, have St John's University pay for 'charter'/lease' a private bus company to operate the shuttle bus ie coach usa, etc?

The S53 that serve St John's/Wagner Colleges would end at Victory Blvd/Clove Road as 'short trips.' This would give S53 riders during rush hours only between Victory Blvd and Bay Ridge buses every 6-8 minutes rush hours.

On all night service to SI Mall. While i agree with S78, that the SI Mall/Engltville area should have 24/7 service i think the S79 should be the 24/7 line with hourly service overnights. While the S44 when the recession is over should be the north shore bus with all night service and should be extended to the Richmond Ave/Arthur KILL TC at all times.

Just my takes.

A few years ago, some S53 buses used to end trips around Clove Rd/Victory Blvd during midday hours, but headways were 15 minutes.

That true Hylan. My guess why the (MTA) got rid of those 'short turn' S53 weekday trips was that it could used those extra buses for the S93.

FYI. When the recession is over, i think the S93 should run all day weekdays until 8pm(last bus to Brooklyn) and 9pm(last bus to SI)with 30-40 minute headways middays from 10am-2pm. College of SI students come from all over the 5 boros now including a high # from Brooklyn. Also i would extend and terminate the S93 SI Terminal at Victory/Richmond Ave for access to the S44, S59 and most important the S98 to get to Bayonne, NJ.

Agreed. Most people from Brooklyn-SI or vice versa from years railfanning the S53/78 and years earlier the S7, are not going to the Ferry. Quite a number people mostlt go to either the College of SI, Port Richmond, the New Drop Shopping Center on Hylan and of course the SI Mall. The only place near St George right now, i seen a high riders from the S53/79 transfer to is to the S51/52 to go to Bayley Seton Hosptial.

I also read online in the SI Advance paper over past year, that The SI Boro President office is trying to create/buliding of new office spaces along Bay St and the St George's/Stapleton area similar to Downtown Brooklyn and Metrotech and thus more service along the S51, 52 and 76. So in short i could see a rush hour only line connecting it to Bay Ridge. That why i agree with IGR. reactions?

Sounds good. It doesn't really make the greatest of sense to have Staten Islanders take the sluggish ferry to get to Brooklyn via Manhattan, and the 15-minute headways for the ferry during rush hours really don't help. If Staten Islanders want to get to Brooklyn and didn't want to take the boat, they'd have to resort to using two fares and a transfer if they choose not to use the ferry terminal and Manhattan to get to Brooklyn.

It's good that there's a bus route that runs roughly through the middle of the Island to Brooklyn, and it's even better to have a route that runs nearly along the entire length of the southern part of the island. The MTA should test and see if running a route to Brooklyn is justifiable by having the route run weekdays only in both directions, then on weekdays and Saturdays, and then every day. This is what happened to the B103; it got high ridership that it was no longer justifiable to run the route weekdays only anymore.

That true Hylan. My guess why the (MTA) got rid of those 'short turn' S53 weekday trips was that it could used those extra buses for the S93.

FYI. When the recession is over, i think the S93 should run all day weekdays until 8pm(last bus to Brooklyn) and 9pm(last bus to SI)with 30-40 minute headways middays from 10am-2pm. College of SI students come from all over the 5 boros now including a high # from Brooklyn. Also i would extend and terminate the S93 SI Terminal at Victory/Richmond Ave for access to the S44, S59 and most important the S98 to get to Bayonne, NJ.

Exactly where would the bus lay over if it were to terminate at Richmond Avenue? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've been around that intersection and it doesn't look like there's any spot where the bus can lay over. After Richmond Avenue west of Victory Boulevard, Victory gets narrow again, and Richmond Avenue seems too busy to have any buses overlay on that street. I;m not saying it's impossible, but that's something the MTA will have to consider looking into. Besides, the S93 was created for the CSI students. It doesn't take too long for students to walk from the college entrance to Richmond Avenue anyway.

S89...

...and nah, S93 is just about perfect right where it is.... if anyone needs Richmond av coming from BK, they can do what's currently done - take the S79 to the S44... that xfer is quite common btw (ring rd)....

Archived