Final planned NYCT Doomesday Bus Cuts-2010

Shortline Bus

Here is the extended link to the proposed bus cuts made by the (MTA) for 2010 barring another bailout by Albany.

Here short summary of the important cuts and service changes boro-boro

Brooklyn

B75 is canned and replaced by the extended B57 between Downtown Brooklyn and Smith/9th Sts. The 'new' combined B61/77 replaces B75 bus along the 9th St/Prospect Park west section in Park Slope.

B1 and B64 trade and flip flop their Bay Ridge terminals. The B1 (renamed B86) operates as a new direct '86th Street' route between Bay Ridge and Kingsboro College/Manhattan Beach at all times. B64 operates between Bay Ridge Ave/Shore RD(current B1 terminal) via Bath/Bay Ridge Ave.

The B64 service along Bath/Harway between Crospey/25th Avenue and Coney Island is gone. "Increased' B82 and nearby (D) service to/from Stillwell replaces the B64 Bensonhurst-Coney Island connection between Bay Parkway and Stillwell.

B4 shortned to end at the Coney Island Hopstial area[/B]. Use the B36 for alternative service.

B13 is shortned to operate only between Myrtle Ave (L)(M) station and Gateway Shopping Center in Spring Creek.

B7 B31 B43 B48 B45 B65 B57 and B67 overnight service is gone.

B37 is canned. Replaced by the B70 south of Bay Ridge Avenue. (MTA) suggests using the B103 bus between 9th Street and Fulton Mall/Downtown area.

B23 B39 B51 and B71 is gone forever. The B67 is restuctured to operate along parts of the B69 weekdays only.

Weekend B2 and B24 service disappers.

Manhattan-Brooklyn Express Bus

X37/38 and X29 is gone. X27/28 makes all stops in Manhattan along its regular off peak routing mainly Broadway and Church/6th Ave and Madison Ave.

Weekend X27/28 service is also canned.

Manhattan

M5 and M20 are both extened to South Ferry replacing the M6 which is cut under this plan. Also, its not listed in this link if M5 limited stop service remains or not. Also M1 weekday extenstion to/from South Ferry is also gone.

M10 is saved but the southbound terminal ends at 57th Street/8th Avenue.

M104 is shortned and ends at all times at the PA Bus Terminal. The (MTA) states to use M42 24/7 which is saved in this revised plan.

M9 and M21 is revised in Lower East Side.

M98 is shortned to end its southbound terminal at 68th between Lex and 3rd Avenue(Hunter College).

M18 M30 and M27 is gone.

M1, M8, M16, M22, M50, and M66 Overnight service ends.

This is very short list. Here link for all the planned doomesday cuts citywide. I list more short lowlights for Bronx Queens and SI next.

Guys you need PDF to read this link.

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100125_1031_service2010-nyct.pdf

Reactions?

Here the summary of the planned Bronx bus cuts.

Bronx

NYC Transit 2010 Service Reduction and Restructure Proposals

Bronx Local Bus

Restructure Local Bus Routes to Discontinue Underutilized or Duplicative Segments

�� Restructure the Bx26, Bx28, and Bx30 in Co-op City

�� Restructure the Bx5, Bx8, and Bx14 in Eastern Bronx

�� Replace Bx41 Service on White Plains Road North of Gun Hill Road with a Bx39

Extension

�� Restructure Bx15/Bx55 Service Along Third Avenue

Discontinue Service on Low-Performing Local Bus Routes

There is one route proposed for complete discontinuation, one route proposed for off-peak

discontinuation, and two routes proposed for weekend discontinuation. One seasonal

service is also proposed for discontinuation.

�� Discontinue all Bx18 service

�� Discontinue off-peak and Saturday Bx20 service (there is currently no Sunday service)

�� Discontinue Bx33 weekend service

�� Discontinue Bx34 weekend service

�� Discontinue Seasonal Bus Service to the Barretto Point Park Pool

Note that Bx14 service would be discontinued and replaced in the Country Club

neighborhood by the Bx8 and Bx55 weekend service would be discontinued and replaced by

Bx15 local service as part of restructuring plans discussed above.

Reduce Spans of Service on Local Bus Routes

This proposal reduces service at the start or end of service (on non-24 hour routes), or

discontinues service on 24-hour routes during overnight hours, during periods of extremely

low ridership.

�� Discontinue overnight bus service on the Bx34

�� Start weekday service later on the Bx32, end weekday evening service on BX33 and start Sunday service later on the BX17.

In other words:

BX4 Country Club service replaced by BX 5 and BX 8 service.

BX 18 is canned.

BX20 become a rush hour only line. Use the BX7 and BX10 for full time service along Riverdale Ave.

BX55 limited stop is reduced to running weekdays only appx. 530am-10pm.

BX15 is increased and becomes a full time 'artics' route.

BX41 northbound terminal is shortned to end at Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) subway station. BX39 is extended to 241 Street to replace the BX41 Wakefield area service.

Major Bus changes in Coop City area including the creation of a new BX38 route to supplement the BX28 route.

More to come.B)

So, what're the thoughts about this? I'm gonna share my thoughts on Brooklyn's changes, mostly. Upon reading most of the information, I feel a bit better about things. Interesting points: the X1 will NOT operate peak hours anymore. The B61/77/75 combo is a good idea. The B71 being cut completely hurts, because that's my local route. I'm still waiting on either the B51 or B39 to be saved. This is more important than the MTA thinks. I'm a bit surprised they didn't merge a route, maybe sending the M21 over the Williamsburg Bridge or something. The Bronx (Too many to name) and Queens (Q60, Q32, Q101, M60) both have routes serving Manhattan, why does Brooklyn's get eliminated, which is the borough with the greatest population? The reasoning "low ridership" is bogus, cause the MTA should see the Standing Room Only on the B39/B51 peak directions. The B69/B67 combo is interesting, but it looks like they're gonna reduce headways to maybe 30 minutes a piece, as a result. The MTA won't give extra service. This will eliminate congestion on Union Street between 8th and Prospect Park West though by swinging the B69 via Flatbush, which is positive. Other positives, the B61 will probably run more buses on 9th Street between 4th and the Park than the current B75 does. Kudos to the MTA to the B1/B64 swap, as well. Are they planning to run the B103 with stops along 4th Avenue now? One above poster mentioned that was listed as an alternative to the B37 being cut (which is sad, but necessary north of Bay Ridge Avenue), but I was unable to find it. Thoughts/Opinions?

Regarding the restructuring of buses in Coop City, there's only one thing I have about it, involving the Bx28 and new Bx38. In my opinion, the longer Bx38 would run between Bay Plaza and Norwood-205th St (D) station. The Bx28 which has a shorter route in Coop would run to Fordham-192nd Street.

Staten Island Local Bus

Restructure Local Bus Routes to Discontinue Underutilized or Duplicative Segments

􀂃 Restructure the S42 and S52 in New Brighton

􀂃 Discontinue S40/90 Service to Howland Hook

Discontinue Service on Low-Performing Local Bus Routes

There are two routes proposed for complete discontinuation and two routes proposed for

weekend discontinuation.

􀂃 Discontinue weekend S54 service

􀂃 Discontinue all S60 service

􀂃 Discontinue all S67 service (operates weekday peak-hours only)

􀂃 Discontinue weekend S76 service

Note that all S42 service would be discontinued as part of the New Brighton restructuring

discussed above.

Reduce Spans of Service on Local Bus Routes

This proposal reduces service at the start or end of service (on non-24 hour routes), during

periods of extremely low ridership.

􀂃 Start weekday service later on the S66; end weekday service earlier on the S54 and

S57; start Saturday and Sunday service later on the S57; and end weekend service on S57 earlier.

Queens is next.

Here is the extended link to the proposed bus cuts made by the (MTA) for 2010 barring another bailout by Albany.

The MTA is the most pathetic transit agency in the world. A world-class city like New York deserves better.

I went through all 149 pages of the PDF (I don't have a social life). The express bus routes started on page 14. Lets just say those numbers aren't good. It costs over $50 per passenger to transport X32 riders (I don't know how they came up with that number-diesel fuel isn't that expensive). That route is gone, and the kids who studied hard to get into Bronx Science will be screwed over.

X64 ridership is anemic (450 passengers). However, that's still enough to warrant continuing the route. X68 ridership is 650. The X63 (the express route I use most often) carries 750 riders daily. Although X63 ridership is much higher than X64 ridership, it is actually a less efficient route according to the data (I'm still perplexed as to how they calculated these numbers).

X22 ridership is much higher than I thought (1,830). It has high ridership for a rush hour-only route. However, it costs over $20 a rider. Based on its ridership numbers it's safe. As you can guess, the X1 had the highest express bus ridership (6,600). The most efficient express bus route was the X27. The unfortunate reality is that all of the express bus routes are expensive to operate. They're much more expensive than the local buses. The express bus haters are right. Keep one thing in mind: people rely on these routes and they're more convenient than the subway and local buses.

I looked through the document. On page 17 it mentions that skip-stop service is SAFE. The (M)/(V) combo is happening. One major caveat: THE (V) WILL BE SHORTENED TO 480 FEET. The Q56, Q84, and Bx4 are safe as well. The B51 is gone (I always see the B51 SRO). I'm not going to list all of the reductions, just the most controversial. The M104 will be curtailed to Times Square (it won't go to the UN). The M18 will say bye bye (this is one of the few reductions that I agree with). The Q74 and Q75 are gone (the Q74 is needed. The Q75 should be rush hour-only).

The X29, X51, and X90 are facing the axe (I agree with the first two, but the X90 has decent ridership and it's better than riding a stuffed (4) or (5) train). In fact, the X90 carries more people than the X64 and the X64 is safe.

I'm not happy with the elimination of the X28 and X38-Broadway is congested during rush hour. This will slow down service.

I don't know why people are crying about the (W) being eliminated. The (Q) will be extended to Astoria. The (N) will run local from Canal to 57th (it will still use the Manny B).

The M98 will end at 68 Street. Needless to say, that's not cool.

In conclusion, I wish I was living in Washington DC, London, Paris, or Tokyo. In those cities people have a comfortable and reliable transportation system. The same can't be said for New York.

Here are the Queens Local Bus Cuts.

Q14 – Discontinue weekend service due to low ridership (in addition to weekday

service, a new proposal listed below)

􀂃 Q26 – Discontinue off-peak service due to low ridership

􀂃 Q31 – Discontinue weekend service due to low ridership

􀂃 Q74 – Discontinue all service due to low ridership

􀂃 Q75 – Discontinue all service due to low ridership

􀂃 Q76 – Discontinue weekend service due to low ridership

􀂃 Q79 – Discontinue weekend service due to low ridership (in addition to weekday

service, a new proposal listed below)

􀂃 Q30 – Discontinue overnight service due to low ridership

􀂃 Reduce hours of service on the Q48 late evening service 7 days a week.

It costs over $50 per passenger to transport X32 riders (I don't know how they came up with that number-diesel fuel isn't that expensive). That route is gone, and the kids who studied hard to get into Bronx Science will be screwed over.

Wait just one minute. According to this site, it costs $1100 to hire one bus with a driver for a day from a charter company. The X32 has 3 buses, which makes $3300. Now, divide that by the supposed $50 per passenger and you get... 66 passengers. Sorry, but I think that figure is wildly unrealistic.

The MTA is the most pathetic transit agency in the world. A world-class city like New York deserves better.

--

In conclusion, I wish I was living in Washington DC, London, Paris, or Tokyo. In those cities people have a comfortable and reliable transportation system. The same can't be said for New York.

I still don't understand why you are still trying to justify express service.

And for the umpteenth time: those systems don't run many lines if any at all 24/7. if the MTA can close stations for the same time as those systems you love so much, then maybe there won't have to be line/station shut downs for repairs and the filth on the platforms as well as bums on the trains.

So enough with the bias and elitism. Express bus services are luxury services that should be looked at first for cuts, then the local bus lines and subways. The world doesn't revolve around the suburbs. Plus you still have the LIRR if you detest the subway so much.

Who? Me?

And for the umpteenth time: those systems don't run many lines if at all 24/7. if the MTA can close stations for the same time as those systems you love so much, then maybe there won't have to be shut downs for repairs and the filth on the platforms.

So enough with the bias and elitism. Express bus services are luxury services that should be looked at first for cuts, then the local bus lines and subways.

I agree. He just gave a statistic and I gave a reason why it is unreasonable.

And for the umpteenth time: those systems don't run many lines if any at all 24/7. if the MTA can close stations for the same time as those systems you love so much, then maybe there won't have to be line/station shut downs for repairs and the filth on the platforms as well as bums on the trains.

So enough with the bias and elitism. Express bus services are luxury services that should be looked at first for cuts, then the local bus lines and subways. The world doesn't revolve around the suburbs. Plus you still have the LIRR if you detest the subway so much.

OK wise guy, I went through the PDF again. You're 100% correct in saying that express buses are expensive to operate (average cost per rider roughly $15-$25). However, AS A WHOLE eliminating local routes saves more money than eliminating express routes.

Scenario A: The X90 is eliminated. Total annual savings: $800,000

Scenario B: The Bx18 is eliminated. Total annual savings: $1,200,000

Even though express buses are substantially more expensive than local buses, cutting them will only save a marginal amount of money. Express buses are more convenient than slow local buses and filthy and overcrowded subways.

I never said cut all of them, and just because the local buses and subways are slow and crowded, doesn't mean the rest of us pesants have to subsidize your precious express service that aren't even full to begin with.

The way you are always bringing in DC, Tokyo.... that's an unfair comparison. DC is a much younger system at least 3 times younger than NYC. Tokyo has had a culture of efficiency and cleanliness. That's fruits to vegetables, there is no comparison - hell they don't run 24/7, which is why NYC's system is in need of more closures to repair the tracks and why stations are filthy. Of course I would like the system to shut down for hours every day to do basic maintenence. But there are still people that needs the system running all hours for work.

Just some of my takes on these cuts.

Express Bus

X29 I think there enough ridership to run at least couple of trips a day but the brooklyn terminal imo should end/start around West 5th/Surf Ave (former B68 terminal) on Coney Island/Brighton Beach border. Suggestion: Last X28 trip to Midtown should be at 730am and last trip to Brooklyn should be around 6pm instead of currently (leaving 57th St) at 630pm.

X27/28 There enough ridership on Saturdays to at least operate hourly service on these buses. There been times i been on the X28 and about 40 riders were on board a Sea Gate bound last Sept. '09 last time i boarded that line. Suggestion: X27/28 Sunday Service needs to be canned imo.

X25-Suggestion-Should just be replaced with X90 and BXM18 service making an additional stop near Grand Central Terminal.

Local Buses

Brooklyn (In no order)

B61/77 merger: I actually like the B61/77 merger as it provides Red Hook residents includingthose going to/from Ikea Shopping Center direct access to Park Slope including the B68 to get to SW Brooklyn. (Brighton and CI areas)

Suggestion: One of the few good ideas in otherwise grim amount of cuts and service changes.

B4-This is a bad idea to end the east bound terminal in 'middle of nowhere' imo at CI Avenue/Avenue Z. A

Better solution: Split the B4 into half similar and run the Sheapshead Bay route between Ave U-Gerrtistean and Caser Bay Shopping Center.(Bay Pwy at Belt Parkway) While the Bay Ridge Parkway route renamed the B66 runs between 1st Ave/Luteran Hosptial (B11 terminal in Sunset Park) and CI Hosptial.

B1 and B64-they switch/flip flop terminals in Bay Ridge-I have 'mixed feelings' on this proposal. Personally i would have just created a separte and supplemental B86 running between Shore Rd/86th and Kingsboro College in Manhattan Beach and leave everything as it is.

The "B64' running to 86th St/Bay Ridge has seen increase in ridership in recent years and people from Coney Island/Brighton does ride and a few even connect it to the S53/79 buses.

Suggestion. This is not a terrible idea but i would have considered exetdning the B70 to 25th/Cropsey so Bath/Cropsey Ave riders have access to the SI buses. Also B64 riders going to 86th St, should be able on a cash/pay per ride metrocard get an additional transfer at 14th Avenue/86th Street to renamed B86.(former B1 if this plan is approved)

B8-All service ends at the VA Hosptial in Ft Hamilton except late nights when the B70 does not run.

Suggestion-Bad idea for 2 reasons. One a high number of residents from East Flatbush and other parts of Central Brooklyn work at the hosptial at 92nd Street. Plus a growing number of those same riders from Central Brooklyn now work in Staten Island and transfer to the S53/79.

Just keep the current policy of buses running to 95th Street every 20-30 minutes(about every 2nd or 3rd bus)most of the day and then after 9pm daily all buses run full B8 route between Brookdale Hosptial and 95th Street.

More to come.

Anybody catch the proposed Hylan Blvd restructuring? I'm not familiar with the area, so I don't know it's impacts, but here is the changes:

X6, X9 discontinued

X2, X3, X4, X5, X7, X8 add "offsetting" peak service

X1 peak service eliminated, off-peak service retained.

I'll comment on the Brooklyn proposals one by one, as I'm going through them while reading the PDF... if you're up for a read, well I'll give you one.

starting from page 50, if anyone actually read the thing...

1) combining the (new) B61 & the B77 is an idea that has been blurted out by quite a few ppl. I seen across the boards... it only made sense... Since day one since I heard that the (old) B61 was going to be split @ Downtown Brooklyn, and noticing what I did about the (old) B61 ridership b/w Downtown & Red Hook, I thought, the route by itself would've been a shear waste... usage b/w those two points aren't strong @ all... intertwine that w/ the usage of the B77 as we know connects Red Hook riders to the subway (it's always been the purpose of the route), and that alone would make far more sense as a standalone route...

That much is said... but later on, I thought... since they seemingly want to get rid of routes that parallel subway lines (which I don't necessarily agree with), I thought about the B77's terminal (5th/10th), and the amts of ppl. I've seen over the years waiting @ that stop @ 5th/9th (on 9th st) waiting for 77's, coming off the B63, B75, and even those that walk from 7th av (B67).... I thought about the B75... That route's ridership has never been too strong... matter fact, it has the 2nd worst headways in the area (to the B69)... and the worst usage b/w the two routes (the stats they have there btw, I agree with)...

So yeah, IMO, all in all, good idea here.

May as well have one solid route serve the neighboring areas of Windsor Terrace, Park Slope, and Red Hook...9th st is the main x-street in the general area, and I always thought bus service along it, was sub-par...

2) Extending the B57 to Smith-9th st & (pretty much) interlining the B67 & B69 (with a re-route of the 69 down 7th av)...

The B57 part of the proposal is horrid.... traffic along smith & court sts. along the B75 route can get pretty bad... runtime of the current B57 by itself is ~ 45 mins... with that extension, you add another (unnecessary) 15 minutes... I doubt they'd add anymore runs to the route for this extension to make a real difference anyway... but of course, this would keep those w/ any political clout in the communities of Carroll Gdns & Cobble Hill at bay...

The B67/B69 part of the proposal I think, is pretty smart... instead of two separate routes w/ their own schedules, it'd be two routes that run under a combined schedule (something like the Bx1/2)... I believe there was a point & time where the 67 & the 69 had each other's SB terminals... the usage along 8th av & PPW is very low, and in some way, shape, or form, you find ppl. making their way towards 7th av anyway... so to this, I say why not.....

3) Restructuring service in Bay Ridge... + getting rid of the B71...

I still say that the MTA should've went ahead w/ extending B71's to South Ferry... although I don't know how much such a service would cost to operate, I think it would've been highly beneficial for not only BoCoCa residents to get to lower manhattan, but for any Brooklyn rider who has to put up w/ the lack of (reliable) subway service to that part of Manhattan... I could see ppl. abandoning the F train (and the "BM" express buses too) for a LOCAL route that takes you from Brooklyn to the South Ferry area....

Getting rid of the B37... 100% agree... It's a wasteful service b/w Boerum Hill & the area where the Belt & the Gowanus "splits", over there 'round 65th st.... The people that are complaining about the possibility of removing this route, are people that probably don't use the bus anyway.... 3rd av isn't w/e it used to be anymore; the route has lost its importance... it's called modernization... there are far more pros than cons in axing the 37, especially when you look at bus operations as a whole.....

Rerouting the B70 down the more commercial part of 3rd av, I dunno... I have thought about this, and then came to the realization that ppl. are still gonna take B16's over it (below 86th st).... also, tanking of the ridership coming from Sunset Park @ the Bay ridge av subway station.... Simply don't think there'll be too many unique riders south of that point.... Despite (what I want to bring up about the difference in) demographics of 3rd av & 8th av, I'm on the fence w/ this idea... I can't definitively say that the pro's outweigh the cons, or vice versa.... Although I must say the efforts of trying to save the B70, heh, I don't think the MTA knows what to do w/ the route... lol.. so it seems....

Next up, yep, the whole 86th st through route proposal again (in a nutshell, is what it is)... classic case of robbing peter to pay paul here.... Ridership on the B64 has increased over the past handful of years, and if this proposal goes through, it'll be all for naught - for the purpose of making an ill-sought after commute along 86th st more feasible.... Bath av riders need the subway... you got the D along 86th st w/ which the B1 serves anyway.... I don't get it... The only subway stations the B64 would ever see, are Stillwell av & Bay ridge av on the R under this proposal...

If service clear across 86th was so necessary, why didn't the MTA go through w/ the "B86" when it was proposed?..... I know I had a debate w/ another member on here about this in the past, but still I feel as if I'm missing something w/ this whole 86th st thing... knowing what I notice, I'm not convinced that moving B1's to the 86th/4th would be more beneficial than simply, having the B1 serving the areas it currently does!

....and a LMFAO moment w/ this one - Extending B8's to 95th st, only to later propose to cut it back to the VA Hospital, for the purpose of re-routing B70's to the 95th st station & along 3rd av "at all times except late nights"...

I think I'll end this particular post on that note... More later...

Archived