What happpens at Brooklyn College-Flatbush Ave?

Abba

Brooklyn College-Flatbush is the only station in the system setup like this. If the station was reconfigured like a normal 2-track terminal w/ the platform in the middle, would the (2) and (5) still have to swap trains?

The platform position has nothing to do with the swap. If there is a (2) waiting at the terminal, a (2) arriving, and a (5) supposed to depart, no matter what the config of the plats, the swap will still happen.

Agreed...i get tired of tellin my roommate its not a (5) train making (2) stops every time the display map displays a (5) instead of the (2).

On (2)/(5) train swaps at Flatbush, Dyre, 241 st, and other locations where this happens a member of the train crew is supposed to disable the strip maps. There should be a " this map is not in service " notice displayed on the lower left part of the map.

The platform position has nothing to do with the swap. If there is a (2) waiting at the terminal, a (2) arriving, and a (5) supposed to depart, no matter what the config of the plats, the swap will still happen.

As a semi-frequent user of this stop this is how it normally goes:

it doesn't matter which track the train pulls into.

Whatever train is on the n/b track leaves as a (2) and

whatever train is on the s/b track leaves as a (5).

Sometimes a train I'm on will wait for both trains to pull out of the station to arrive on the n/b track to stay as a 2 train. But as I said, whatever train is on the n/b or s/b track will leave as a (2) and (5) respectively.

On (2)/(5) train swaps at Flatbush, Dyre, 241 st, and other locations where this happens a member of the train crew is supposed to disable the strip maps. There should be a " this map is not in service " notice displayed on the lower left part of the map.

Yeah, but that involves reading which many won't do. I had to tell a guy once who stared at the strip map for literally five whole minutes that "that map isn't correct, this isn't a (5) train" when he was on the (2) (mind you every side sign on the train was correct and said (2) to 241st). Then he asked me if he was on a (5) train and I just told him, you're on the (2) and that map isn't working and finally he seemed to get that looking at the strip map was a bad idea.

But then again, just today I had to explain to a woman that "next stop Brooklyn Bridge does NOT mean the next stop is Brooklyn" LOL

Yeah, but that involves reading which many won't do. I had to tell a guy once who stared at the strip map for literally five whole minutes that "that map isn't correct, this isn't a (5) train" when he was on the (2) (mind you every side sign on the train was correct and said (2) to 241st). Then he asked me if he was on a (5) train and I just told him, you're on the (2) and that map isn't working and finally he seemed to get that looking at the strip map was a bad idea.

But then again, just today I had to explain to a woman that "next stop Brooklyn Bridge does NOT mean the next stop is Brooklyn" LOL

lol Probably was the same guy who looked at a stipmap on a (4) which had the transfers aligned incorrectly and after he asked me were to get the (L), told me "The L train don't go to fourteenth street."

You got that right...

We did the best we could with the headways as long as the C/R's operating cars and my operating car had the proper sign that was ok.. :tup:

When I was traveling to hs, I saw a redbird 2 train at my former home stop at 86th-Lex and thought how cool that was to see the 2 train there. Back then I was pretty surprised seeing 'something out of the ordinary'. I just misssed getting that redbird train by seconds. But now I know about GOs, train diversions and sometimes 2s and 5s swapping Manhattan routes.

Archived