Freeze on T/O schoolcar classes

Andrew

oh you just got the day off outright because you were in Stations. someone going into RTO would never get a chance to take another civil service exam outside of the (MTA)

For RTO you can save holidays whether they fall on a day you work or not and use them later for days off, or if they fall on a regular day you work and you don't save it, you get paid for 2 days for that day you work (regular pay and the pay for the holiday). If you have a saved holiday you want to use as a day off later, you have to request it from the crew office 20 days ahead and hope they grant you that day off. They don't always grant it.

you have to request it in a G2 form and send it to the crew office 30 days ahead and hope they grant you that day off.

Its 20 days in advance now...

We have a Computer system that you call up and request and or save days off now..

No G-2's needed for that.

oh you just got the day off outright because you were in Stations. someone going into RTO would never get a chance to take another civil service exam outside of the (MTA)

Well I got the day off because Night agents get the night off before an AM exam and AM agent gets the day of the exam off all together. Pm clerks get screwed. They stick you with an AM test and you have to report to work directly after the exam. So after you get off work in the hours between 10pm-12am you have to wake early to take a 9am test in most cases and rush to work right after. So not only have you lost lots of vital sleep to take an exam, you have to go to work for 8 hours afterwards. And me being in stations had nothing to do with it, as long as the exam is promotional and your a night clerk or am clerk you'll get a day off. Those same rules applied when I took RTO exams, and they only apply when it's an NYCTA exam, not other MTA agencies. You gotta just put in the G-2 at least 3 days in advance (For Stations), you more or likely won't get it because all civil service exams are on Saturdays. And if you expect to get a weekend day off with that short of a notice then your mistaken. You would have to submit it at least three weeks in advance.

Its 20 days in advance now...

We have a Computer system that you call up and request and or save days off now..

No G-2's needed for that.

Is this only for RTO right now?? I know a few years back we had a computer system you called up to find out if you got awarded an AVA and how sick time you had banked. But the number hasn't worked in like 2 years. All it does is ring and ring and ring. And trying to reach the Supervisor that handles the AVA desk on the phone is a joke. She has the highest seniority of all level 2 S/S's and acts like you are bothering her if you ask her how many AVA days you have in the bank. She will insist that you call time keeping for that info. It's a good thing I have a classmate that works down at OSAC (Operation Support Assignment Center) at the Hoyt Street-Schermerhorn station that can give me information on AVA awards or single vacation day request.

• 4 weeks later...
The last class was in January . There won't be any until 2011 so don't sweat it.

They are not hiring because they are cutting service and less people are retiring and less people are needed.

Primo dude, stop just throwing out dates. You don't know that the next class is 2011. AT THIS MOMENT, there is a hold on all RTO hiring with no set dates or plans for when to resume. Anyone that gives a date right now is wrong or is making it up.

Lets all transit members support the station agents that were laid off with today's judge ruling. This has got to be a lesson that MTA and its board got to learn and never repeat. They need to rehire back the station agents and realize that they can't do whatever they like. Lets have some solidarity at this time of crisis.

Lets all transit members support the station agents that were laid off with today's judge ruling. This has got to be a lesson that MTA and its board got to learn and never repeat. They need to rehire back the station agents and realize that they can't do whatever they like. Lets have some solidarity at this time of crisis.

The MTA can and will do what ever they want. It doesn't matter what the court says. They still haven't honored the contract that law says they must. They will do nothing and keep fighting in court and get away with it as usual.

MTA would not be able to do whatever they want if union and its members as well as the media put constant pressure on them. Their was mininmal media coverage when 266 station agents were laid off and the devestation that it had cause. There was more protest on trying to save the student pass and raising fares than on the 266 layoffs. What does that say about the union and its members? An ineffectual union will surely lead to the demise of a union and its members.

i thought the union handled the layoffs very poorly to say the least...there was word that they knew since 08 that this may happen..........they waited until it was too late.......

my thing is the union needs to fight and worry about its members than to worry about students losing metrocards, because if they dont get them, they'll beat the fare anyway........

i thought the union handled the layoffs very poorly to say the least...........

That is an understatement!!!

Union still dont know whats going on, or they just dont tell us.

I asked My union rep last night :

If there were 1000 runs in the past, MTA had 1000 drivers to cover those runs.

Now there are 900 runs ( after the cuts ) but there are still 1000 drivers, so what 100 last drivers will pick on June 22 ?

The answer i got was " Lets hope it does not come to that." HUH ??? WTF kind of answer is that ??????

So basically on 6/22 who ever will pick the last run in the last open depot will be the last person working, and who ever will come to pick will be told, sorry you fired ?

( I know there are more then 1000 runs and more then 1000 drivers, i just used that as an example)

i thought the union handled the layoffs very poorly to say the least...there was word that they knew since 08 that this may happen..........they waited until it was too late........

The current union administration has been in office for five months and had almost zero powers before that date. At least know what you are talking about before you start throwing around accusations.

The current union administration has been in office for five months and had almost zero powers before that date. At least know what you are talking about before you start throwing around accusations.

just because they had zero powers as you call it does not mean it wasnt handled poorly..........this current administration decides to wait until ta laid off 266 people to finally plan an attack? i'll bet if you were one of those getting laid off you wouldnt be singing this bs tune about the current adminstration had almost zero powers before that date.........

The Unions know and get afraid when we find out Thats why I'm pissed about paying dues for issues that can't get solved until it's too late then you get A sign this shit sign this O plz .

If I had A wish it would be that Michael (J) Quill was still alive and in power

to get the job done with the Balls and backbone we need as (M2)embers

just because they had zero powers as you call it does not mean it wasnt handled poorly..........this current administration decides to wait until ta laid off 266 people to finally plan an attack? i'll bet if you were one of those getting laid off you wouldnt be singing this bs tune about the current adminstration had almost zero powers before that date.........

No administration, union or managerial is able to address issues that have long been rumored or foreseen if they're not in a position to address them in the first place. You can drive by the same house on your way to and from work every day, but you don't have the legal authority or the responsibility, whether you want it or not, to fix a leaky faucet or a broken window until you officially own that house.

Also, labor unions, union labor laws and collective bargaining agreements are generally never very effective in avoiding a mass reduction in workforce when financial leverage is high.

If I had A wish it would be that Michael (J) Quill was still alive and in power to get the job done with the Balls and backbone we need as (M2)embers

If Michael J. Quill was in power, Jay Walder wouldn't be.

You might as well rename yourself from rtype3995 to Crew Room Lawyer1 since all of us just have got to be wrong and you seem to have all the answers. The union has been trying to fight the layoffs ever since the current administration took office. Just because it hasn't been fodder for the Daily News doesn't mean that nothing has been happening behind the scenes.

If you honestly believe that the union just sat on their hands and did absolutely nothing to prevent the layoffs, then there is no answer that could satisfy you that I, or any other union representative, could possibly give you.

I asked My union rep last night :

If there were 1000 runs in the past, MTA had 1000 drivers to cover those runs.

Now there are 900 runs ( after the cuts ) but there are still 1000 drivers, so what 100 last drivers will pick on June 22 ?

No solid answer can be given to your question as there are retirements, reclassifications, demotions, no picks, etc. which can affect the last number to pick.

If you honestly believe that the union just sat on their hands and did absolutely nothing to prevent the layoffs, then there is no answer that could satisfy you that I, or any other union representative, could possibly give you.

I don't think any labor union in history has ever offered up a workforce reduction via layoffs in contract negotiations.

No solid answer can be given to your question as there are retirements, reclassifications, demotions, no picks, etc. which can affect the last number to pick.

With in 2 week from the time i asked the question till the date of the pick the number of "retirements, reclassifications, demotions, no picks, etc" can not be more then 5 +-1

With in 2 week from the time i asked the question till the date of the pick the number of "retirements, reclassifications, demotions, no picks, etc" can not be more then 5 +-1

It most certainly can, T/O's had around 50 of them (that is for the entire system starting with the #1 man). That's also including sabbath observers who went Road Extra.

Archived