No 5 express service in the Bronx for 18 months

Abba

Would you rather the (MTA) keep its infrastructure aging? Will you be thinking the same thing when your train derails going around a curve 50 feet up in the air? This is going on a stretch but do you want another Malbone St. wreck?

Most of what you said probably went way over his head. Some people are too impatient and thinks in only the short term problems and neglecting to think in the long term perspectives....

=

And: on the bright side, at least riders won't have to deal with 5 trains holding up WPR service by entering/leaving the express tracks to get from/to Dyre.

Most of what you said probably went way over his head. Some people are too impatient and thinks in only the short term problems and neglecting to think in the long term perspectives....

Reminds me of the (7). People there don't realize that if there is no track maintainance, then it's going to be worse than having weekend changes.

My use of the word pandering was fitting considering the tone of my post.

On the other hand, that last image makes me sick.

Your only a few steps shy of being them, but rest assured that crime is down and there is nothing to worry about.

You're right; it's not considering my post is in jest. I'm simply pandering to the certain members here who are dead-set that the MTA hates their community.
To be honest with you, do you blame them for thinking that way? Can you name a main train-line that stops running fully at night, then runs a shuttle that comes every 45 minutes, sometimes damn near an hour?

Lets also not forget that the 5 line was voted the crappiest line by straphangers for at least two years in a row? It's because people are understandably not satisfied with the service, and I don't blame them.

I take this 5 train every day to work, and i can leave 30 minutes earlier than the exact time i takes for me to get to work (about an hour and 15 minutes) and still hope that a two train doesn't come in front of us, or just regular delays don't screw me over. The morning express from east 180th street to 149th is probably the one good thing about this line, and now for a whole year plus, that will stop? I'm hoping that it's a bad estimate, but knowing the mta, it probably will be longer than that.

I'm not ignorant here, i know that the WPR line needs those new signals (being that almost every time there's a goddamned snow storm or lots of rain the freakin' signals get f**ked at east 180th street or at Dyre ave) but for it to take a full year and more isn't exactly fair. Not to mention that the 4, 6, 2, lines never have to deal with the things that 5 train line goers suffer from, including less service. I know that the MTA doesn't pick and choose train lines to shit on, but I can't blame anyone for feeling blackballed, cause i've ridden the 5 train long enough to feel their pain.

At the end of the day though, you gotta suck it up and do what the hell you have to do. I'm just explaining why certain people feel that way.

PS, extra 5 minutes, pffft. try 30.

The (1),(2),(3),(4) and(6) have had their signal systems upgraded in the last decade or so, for better or worse, leaving the (5) and that segment around East 180th St as the last one in the IRT on the table. I know it'll be painful but IMO opinion it's about time. The (5), and the (2) in that area to a lesser extent, has been neglected for the last 25 years. It's about time they get some improved infrastructure up there. They pay the same fare as other straphangers and deserve no less.

well some can look on the bright side, they wont be on a (2) at jackson waiting for a <5> to cross in front. I use to use Simpson St when i was a kid as an alt for 6 trains @ Hunts point. i was wondering when the MTA started work on there and not just the stations.

Started work on what? Signals?

To be honest with you, do you blame them for thinking that way? Can you name a main train-line that stops running fully at night, then runs a shuttle that comes every 45 minutes, sometimes damn near an hour?

Lets also not forget that the 5 line was voted the crappiest line by straphangers for at least two years in a row? It's because people are understandably not satisfied with the service, and I don't blame them.

I take this 5 train every day to work, and i can leave 30 minutes earlier than the exact time i takes for me to get to work (about an hour and 15 minutes) and still hope that a two train doesn't come in front of us, or just regular delays don't screw me over. The morning express from east 180th street to 149th is probably the one good thing about this line, and now for a whole year plus, that will stop? I'm hoping that it's a bad estimate, but knowing the mta, it probably will be longer than that.

I'm not ignorant here, i know that the WPR line needs those new signals (being that almost every time there's a goddamned snow storm or lots of rain the freakin' signals get f**ked at east 180th street or at Dyre ave) but for it to take a full year and more isn't exactly fair. Not to mention that the 4, 6, 2, lines never have to deal with the things that 5 train line goers suffer from, including less service. I know that the MTA doesn't pick and choose train lines to shit on, but I can't blame anyone for feeling blackballed, cause i've ridden the 5 train long enough to feel their pain.

At the end of the day though, you gotta suck it up and do what the hell you have to do. I'm just explaining why certain people feel that way.

PS, extra 5 minutes, pffft. try 30.

Well not to bash ya pal but the (1)(4)(6) don't have share their trackage with other trains in the Bronx. And who says the (2) riders dont get G/O'd? Weren't there some G/Os involving the (2) in the Bronx? Someone fill me in. I know some Bronx residents can say the (1) has been cut off from the Bronx before. That's just how it is when you have elevated tracks exposed to the elements 24/7. Some point sooner or later work needs to be done. At least they're not cutting (5) service off completely.

And who says the (2) riders dont get G/O'd? Weren't there some G/Os involving the (2) in the Bronx? Someone fill me in.

There were some in the past.

The one I hate the most, no trains in between 241st and E 180

Downtown trains go express from G H Road to E180

and that's all I can think of.

tracks, switches and signals. "the works"

I've been seeing a lot of track work along the (2) and (5), especially around Unionport Yard, just north of the East 180th St station. Plus, they're putting elevators there as well. Not to mention, many new signals are placed on the line.

There were some in the past.

The one I hate the most, no trains in between 241st and E 180

Downtown trains go express from G H Road to E180

and that's all I can think of.

I'm afraid the most of shuttle buses replacing (2) and (5) trains between East 180th St and 149th St-Grand Concourse.

I'm afraid the most of shuttle buses replacing (2) and (5) trains between East 180th St and 149th St-Grand Concourse.

We used to have shuttle bus service from Freeman St to East 180th St in the past in situations like this. Unfortunately the beancounters at the (MTA) decided that the interlocking plant at Freeman St was too costly to maintain. All of the switches were removed and the tower closed. Now you are stuck, with no options, except for the long distance shuttle bus one. The same beancounters who brag about service cuts and layoffs saving money are responsible for using more buses, fuel, and B/Os and wasting more time than what they deemed as wasteful and costly by leaving the Freeman St option intact. I hope the B/Os make a $$$$ killing each time the shuttle buses are deployed. With the magnitude of work scheduled to be done in the East 180th St area between March 27th of this year and August of next year I'll bet the shuttle bus option will be working for quite a few weekends.

Archived