No 5 express service in the Bronx for 18 months

Abba

Clearly the MTA hates those in the South Bronx and is punishing them dearly by taking away (5) express service.

i think you mean NORTH bronx. its no big deal anyway. the express from 3rd Ave. to 180th is 9 min, the local is 12 min. its not like they shut down LEXINGTON AVE express service! lol

I'm liking the fact that the (5) will run local in the Bronx for a while since the (2) needs help between East 180th St and 3rd Av-149th Street.

However, since I read the sign, we must be prepared for very tough service changes on weekends, such as shuttle buses running between 180th St and Concourse-149th Street or (5) trains or (2) trains not running in the Bronx.

Dumb question? Is this long term closing of rush hour (5) Bronx service caused by the installtion of CBTC?

Not CBTC. Part of the renovation plan involves the deactivation of the old IRT signals in place of current style signalling (better take those photos of the signals at the East, soon the "Three Headed Monster" will be no more), as well as a new switch south of Bronx Park East into the East 180th St B Lead to allow greater flexibility.

I dont like this idea, Now they do this bs? So what the heck was going on for the 4 months from Sept 2009 to Dec 2009?!

Of course, i bet there will be SOME <5> still going express, happened during the suspension of the (5) from Sept - Dec!

I wonder how Dyre Avenue Branch people are going to feel for this...?

I better get me some shots and vids of my line!

Plus East 180th, cant imagine how that station ill look. Once thats done, the t/a needs to deal with 149th Street Mott Avenue and MAYBE the Dyre Branch and 138h Street which then Completes The White Plains Road/WPR's Dyre Branch and Jerome Lines

I dont like this idea, Now they do this bs? So what the heck was going on for the 4 months from Sept 2009 to Dec 2009?!

Of course, there will be SOME <5> still going express, happened during the suspension of the (5) from Sept - Dec!

Well the poster says that about 5 minutes will be added on to travel time so Dyre Avenue residents will just have to leave their houses...five minutes earlier.

Well the poster says that about 5 minutes will be added on to travel time so Dyre Avenue residents will just have to leave their houses...five minutes earlier.

Really? 5min from Morris Park Ave/180th street to 149th Street 3rd or Mott avenue?

Right..

It doesnt take 5min, it takes about 10min during midday and 15-20min during RH, since the (2) during the AM gets stuck at Jackson avenue when the damn <5> needs to go first, same at East Tremont/177th(I call by old name)

Now for the <5> Express from 180th to 149th it takes like 8min, but still gets held, if the (2) needs to get in front., which adds time bro

During Midday, 10-15, late night like 8-10min...

5min is wrong.. 5min would be from East 180th street to Freeman Street.

Dumb question? Is this long term closing of rush hour (5) Bronx service caused by the installtion of CBTC?

From what it sounds like to me they are modernizing the signals on the White Plains Rd. line (some of the oldest in the system) to be as modern as the signals on the rest of the lines. http://www.nycsubway.org has an interesting article on the old IRT signalling that was on the WPR as "recent" as 1997 but I'm not sure if that's still up there 13 years later. Can someone in the know clarify?

Of course, i bet there will be SOME <5> still going express, happened during the suspension of the (5) from Sept - Dec!

Plus East 180th, cant imagine how that station ill look. Once thats done, the t/a needs to deal with 149th Street Mott Avenue and MAYBE the Dyre Branch and 138h Street which then Completes The White Plains Road/WPR's Dyre Branch and Jerome Lines

This is probably part of the station rehab, since the (MTA)'s schedule (page 27) says that the E.180th St. station should be rehabbed and ADA compliant by January 2012, which is ~20 months away. And this is an 18 month capital program.

Shut up (MTA) & give us the service we deserve for once.

Would you rather the (MTA) keep its infrastructure aging? Will you be thinking the same thing when your train derails going around a curve 50 feet up in the air? This is going on a stretch but do you want another Malbone St. wreck?

Really? 5min from Morris Park Ave/180th street to 149th Street 3rd or Mott avenue?

Right..

It doesnt take 5min, it takes about 10min during midday and 15-20min during RH, since the (2) during the AM gets stuck at Jackson avenue when the damn <5> needs to go first, same at East Tremont/177th(I call by old name)

Now for the <5> Express from 180th to 149th it takes like 8min, but still gets held, if the (2) needs to get in front., which adds time bro

During Midday, 10-15, late night like 8-10min...

5min is wrong.. 5min would be from East 180th street to Freeman Street.

The (MTA) schedules show the (2) local getting from 180th to 149th in 15 minutes during rush hour, while at the same time the (5) express covers that same distance in 8. So it's only about 7 minutes, not 15-20. Especially since the local covers that part of the line in only 15 minutes, it's not like the express can save 15-20 minutes off a 15-minute trip...

The (MTA) schedules show the (2) local getting from 180th to 149th in 15 minutes during rush hour, while at the same time the (5) express covers that same distance in 8. So it's only about 7 minutes, not 15-20. Especially since the local covers that part of the line in only 15 minutes, it's not like the express can save 15-20 minutes off a 15-minute trip...

Just becuz the t/a says that doesnt mean much, remember, the Lexington is very crowded and trains are slow. And i live on the WPR Line area, so i do know.

Heh, Takes like 20-25min to get from 138th Street to 42nd street on the (5), cuz of trains ahead.

Maybe i was a bit high on 10-15min for midday, but 8-10 yes. Rush hour 15-18m then

Rush hours, does take long, and ive timed it.. The WPR Express isnt as bad, im guessing demand from the Dyre Branch wants the <5> first before the (2), to leave Jackson.

Sometimes two or even 3 number (5)s a put in front of a (2) at Jackson, which i hate.

This sucks

Wow...a two-worded response. Well, it's a step-up at least. And how does it suck if it doesn't affect you? Let the people who are ACTUALLY affected by this change give their appropriate feedback.

IMO, this G.O. seems interesting. I need to head to the Bronx for once to check out the (5) express before it disappears again.

Wow...a two-worded response. Well, it's a step-up at least. And how does it suck if it doesn't affect you? Let the people who are ACTUALLY affected by this change give their appropriate feedback.

Yo man really, thats unnecessary. Just ignore the post and move along.

The running time from 149th St Grand Concourse to East 180th St is, on average, 14 minutes for a (2) or (5) local and 12 minutes for express trains. This was the G.O. I mentioned a while back. You have track work in East 180th St yard which has led to the closure of that yard for the time being. There are also new signals being installed in conjunction with that work. There's also station rehab and modernization at East 180th St with elevators being installed to make the station ADA compliant. It's probably time for new signals on the Dyre line also while this work is being done. Will this be completed on time ? I have no idea but for the (2) and (5) passengers sake I hope so.

they were sitting on the tracks eating hoagies :P

This sucks

Waah waah, deal with it. Shit happens

A little extra travel time for a while is a small price to pay for fully functional signals and renovated tracks. The residents seem to handle things up there well...unlike other places.

Yep, gotta do what needs to be done. It's either this or you flipped over in a train

I'm liking the fact that the (5) will run local in the Bronx for a while since the (2) needs help between East 180th St and 3rd Av-149th Street.

However, since I read the sign, we must be prepared for very tough service changes on weekends, such as shuttle buses running between 180th St and Concourse-149th Street or (5) trains or (2) trains not running in the Bronx.

Oh, that'll probably happen too.

My God that's a long time but it's necessary. I've been wondering when work was going to happen at E. 180th St. Work starts the day after my birthday so I think I'm gonna have to ride the (5) as a part of my birthday.

It didnt seem necessary. Everything was fine....in my eyes

Nope. They are stealing the old signals there B)

Another (7) train situation all over again:p

hoo-ray! :)

Clearly the MTA hates those in the South Bronx and is punishing them dearly by taking away (5) express service.

Is that good stuff good?

:cry:Why God Why I need my <5> Bronx Thru Express:cry:

I Hate Local:mad:

There is no God.

and it's just 7 mins.

There is no God.

and it's just 7 mins.

there is a god, and u r the second god!

:cry:Why God Why I need my <5> Bronx Thru Express:cry:

I Hate Local:mad:

Quit crying, u can just take the Bx12 +SBS+ and bus fan now! And if u pass my way, we can take the train while rr4567 carrys us , while we sit on a chair lol.. Nah me and RR will take a Redbird and u can push the redbird for us lol

Archived