Man struck, killed by subway train near Columbia University

Matt91

A man was struck and killed by a subway train Monday morning at a station near Columbia University in Manhattan, officials said.

The victim, who was not identified, was hit by a southbound (1) train at W. 116th St. and Broadway.

His mangled body remained on the tracks after the accident.

"All I saw was his arm on the tracks," said an MTA employee at the scene, who said the limb had been severed.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/29/2010-03-29_man_struck_killed_by_subway_train_near_columbia_university.html#ixzz0jb6cSG6o

post-2812-133288581691_thumb.jpg

post-2812-133288581691_thumb.jpg

Who says it's a 12-9?

It's becoming the style of the year. But given that it says "customer injury", it may not be a 12 - 9.

Police investigation + customer injury + suspension of train service in both directions = likely 12-9. I could be wrong, but that was just my thinking. Wait and see I guess

12-9s happen all the time. This is nothing new.

But this really unusual to see so many 12-9s in the Q1 of 2010. Typically we dont seen so many 12-9 in Q1 stats. 2010 might be a record year since the trend is going up. MTA needs to do some PSA time to prevent 12-9s happening.

I'm sure that this is hardly a novel thought, but I'm guessing that between a recent foiled plot, the Moscow incident, the stabbings this past weekend, that incident on the (D)elta a few months back, and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the 12-9's this year, heightened NYPD and MTA Police presence on trains, platforms and at stations will be heightened, and the "If you see something, say something." campaign will become increasingly visible.

But, see... all of that is acceptable, because, according to Jay Walder, S/A's and C/R's are "antiquated" positions which serve little to no purpose but to cost money and can be replaced with vending machines and overworked T/O's. Eliminate those titles, and it's very possible that the unnecessary bullshit will more frequently occur.

I hope the train crew is alright, and to hell with the inexperienced experts who should be cutting their own rapidly-flapping tongues before they cut jobs which go a long way in keeping the "civilians" civil.

MTA needs to do some PSA time to prevent 12-9s happening.

How easy is it to spot a potential suicide target? It could be some random man and right when the train's almost at the station he jumps. Face it, suicides are a lost cost. No matter how much information you put out there, some person is going to jump no matter what.

How easy is it to spot a potential suicide target? It could be some random man and right when the train's almost at the station he jumps. Face it, suicides are a lost cost. No matter how much information you put out there, some person is going to jump no matter what.
Remember suicide comes in all different shapes,colors and sizes meaning anyone at any givin time from the smallest to the tallest could be next.

This is terrible:cry:

The (MTA) might have to end up putting a gate on the platform blocking people from the tracks which is only opened when the train is at a complete stop. But that's just my thinking

Thats not going to happen, it would cost way too much and in many stations trains stop in different places.

This is terrible:cry:

The (MTA) might have to end up putting a gate on the platform blocking people from the tracks which is only opened when the train is at a complete stop. But that's just my thinking

There has been discussion of having platform screen doors installed during construction of the (7) Line Extension and the SAS. I'm not sure if this is will ever happen, if they were just ideas being tossed around or if they have officially been scrapped due to budgetary constraints.

Archived