Pregant Woman Ticketed While Searching for Subway Seat

An eight-months-pregnant Long Island woman -- desperate to find a subway seat during this week's flash heat wave -- was cruelly slapped with a $75 ticket after she crossed between cars on a jam-packed train.

Nora Hsu, who works in financial sales in Midtown, was busted as she passed from car to car while the 1 train was stopped at the Times Square station on Wednesday.

An officer on patrol on the platform spotted her crossing and ordered her off the train.

"I told the cop, 'Cut me some slack. I'm 32 weeks pregnant, and I'm just trying to get home,' " she recalled for The Post. "I was out of breath."

But the officer said, "It doesn't matter," and wrote the ticket.

The citation was part of the NYPD's crackdown on minor subway offenses.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/pregger_gal_told_tough_sit_hX2p9kQh6iaVBOQlMMhcNN#ixzz0kbmmuNcz

If you are 32 weeks pregnant, it's gonna show and I'm sure at some point of the ride, someone would get up for her. Foolishness for you.

Not always the case. When my co-worker was pregnant she said someone only gave up a seat once. I see people try to ignore a pregnant women standing all the time. (And before you ask, no I'm not one of those people who will do that)

The comments section is hilarious. Why do people think the NYPD only one has one division dedicated to crime and are only supposed to be on the streets catching "murderers" and "rapists" only and shouldn't be out on the streets enforcing Federal, State and Local laws. This rule was brought into effect a long time ago and they have stickers on the doors telling people not to cross. She deserves that ticket. Like the law says, Ignorantia juris non excusat; a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely because he or she was unaware of its content. If she would have tripped and fell causing serious or fatal injury to herself and her baby I bet that her family would have sued the MTA.

An eight-months-pregnant Long Island woman -- desperate to find a subway seat during this week's flash heat wave -- was cruelly slapped with a $75 ticket after she crossed between cars on a jam-packed train.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/pregger_gal_told_tough_sit_hX2p9kQh6iaVBOQlMMhcNN#ixzz0kbmmuNcz

The bigger crime is that no one offered up their seat to her. Of course I wouldn't expect anything better from New Yorkers.....

Stupid lady. She deserved the ticket for crossing between cars, but another rule is that people sitting in the Priority Seating seats have to give the seat to her... So I guess they should have gotten a ticket too.

The text from the Rules of Conduct:

No person shall refuse or fail to relinquish a seat on a conveyance which has been designated as “PRIORITY SEATING,” “WHEELCHAIR PRIORITY SEATING” or words of similar import, if requested to do so by or on behalf of a person with a disability, or occupying any location on a conveyance designated for use by persons using wheelchairs if such location is required to accommodate a person using a wheelchair. Further, passengers aboard buses equipped with wheelchair lift devices shall not conduct themselves in a manner which will impede the operation of such lifts, impede the securing of wheelchairs in the tie-down devices located on such buses or impede the exit of passengers using wheelchairs.

This raises the question: is pregnancy a disability?

I can understand why everyone is basically attacking her. Ok, she did cross betweens cars, but who hasn't. I dont want to be the one to say it, but its just like a guy to say things like "she deseves it","i don't feel bad for her" or "pregnancy is no excuse". You do not know what it is like to be a woman let alone a PREGNANT WOMAN IN NYC ! As a woman living here let me tell you that no one gives up their seat to any pregnant woman AT ALL. She was just trying to find a seat! Put yourself in her shoes (which she is probably tired of walking in anyway). I am pretty sure you guys would have said practically the same thing... if you live in NYC then your bound to have a situation like this. we need more people that are considerate.

I just think that cop should have given her a break. They've probably haven't had that experience anyway.

People should give up their seats to elderly, disabled, AND even pregnant women. the cop should have given tickets to all in the priority seating instead of or including her as well.

sorry to upset anyone just wanted to express my opinion and feelings about this situation.

The cop didn't have to give her a ticket, he could have gave her a talking to thats it. These cops right away have the itch to write summonses thats all they know how to do, there robots. Same thing when you guys get your balls broken about taking pictures on the subway. Its a feeling of power that gets them off. Yea she walked between cars, ok its not safe but c'mon sometimes you have to have a heart.

The cop didn't have to give her a ticket, he could have gave her a talking to thats it. These cops right away have the itch to write summonses thats all they know how to do, there robots. Same thing when you guys get your balls broken about taking pictures on the subway. Its a feeling of power that gets them off. Yea she walked between cars, ok its not safe but c'mon sometimes you have to have a heart.

thank you so much!!!i totally agree 100%. now you know the cops will attack someone for any reason! if your sitting on the stairs, taking photographs, or crossing between cars. But hay, the don't care as long as they get their paycheck. Right?

But isn't a rule a rule? If they only get a talking to after they've broken the rule, it wouldn't stop them from doing it again. But if they get a summons, it MIGHT stop them from doing it again (unless if they want another one.)

thank you so much!!!i totally agree 100%. now you know the cops will attack someone for any reason! if your sitting on the stairs, taking photographs, or crossing between cars. But hay, the don't care as long as they get their paycheck. Right?

They get commission for the summons they issue... So it means more $ for the cop who gave her the summons.

Exact, but if someone in their family gets a ticket, its a whole big thing, and you know that ticket will dissapear faster than forest glenn running from a barking dog. But anyway Cops do what they want to do.

But isn't a rule a rule? If they only get a talking to after they've broken the rule, it wouldn't stop them from doing it again. But if they get a summons, it MIGHT stop them from doing it again (unless if they want another one.)

ok, but like I wrote sometimes you have to have a HEART and not go by the book all the time. Now, if she gave him a hard time like a dog barking at forest glenn then yea write the ticket.

Thank you! Cops always try to be the TOUGH ones in town, geez. Give her a break. Ya she did violate the rules, but come on shes pregnant just talk with her and BAM. She was just looking for a damn seat.. Other people have crossed cars and still, everywhere even here.

Now if she was being a b9ich and all, like screaming and crap then I can see why she got it. But if she cooperates then your good.

Cops also cross the cars too, idk if its illegal for em but i still see em, like they are angels in this world...

These damn cops always do stuff rapid.. Even photography is another crap..

Archived